Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th July 2021, 13:17   #1876
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABHI_1512 View Post
Unfortunately, the six seater version is a reality and Mahindra has quietly brought it under the mix after getting the 4-star ratings from NCAP for the two seater base variant.
Don't think so. Please see attached screenshot from the website. They have updated the prices (AX Optional starts from Rs. 12.78 lakhs as reported in various forums) - only the AX(O) and LX variants are listed. There is no AX Standard.

Also the price list in post #1863 above, upon which all this speculation rests, merits a closer look. The column with prices says "ex-showroom price 02 Oct 2020" - seems like a lazy dealer staff member who used a previous chart and updated only some rows while omitting to delete the rows for lower AX trims not applicable any more.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-capture.jpg  

Last edited by 84.monsoon : 12th July 2021 at 13:18.
84.monsoon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th July 2021, 13:27   #1877
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
Don't think so. Please see attached screenshot from the website. They have updated the prices (AX Optional starts from Rs. 12.78 lakhs as reported in various forums) - only the AX(O) and LX variants are listed. There is no AX Standard.

Also the price list in post #1863 above, upon which all this speculation rests, merits a closer look. The column with prices says "ex-showroom price 02 Oct 2020" - seems like a lazy dealer staff member who used a previous chart and updated only some rows while omitting to delete the rows for lower AX trims not applicable any more.
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-ccad72e2b0694d9e84b55fe1eac4ddd5.jpeg

I don’t think front facing seat looks like the above pictures suggest or am I missing something ??

P.S- Picture sourced from Twitter and was posted by journalist Suman Banerji of Business Today.
ABHI_1512 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2021, 14:41   #1878
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibendum90949 View Post
Mahindra Thar Might Lose 4 Star GNCAP Safety Rating – AX 6 Seater Variant Relaunched.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
I really don’t think the AX 6-seater will be relaunched.... These on-line car mags like Rushlane will speculate and write anything to get eyeballs.
Quote:
Unfortunately, the six seater version is a reality and Mahindra has quietly brought it under the mix after getting the 4-star ratings from NCAP for the two seater base variant.... So what Mahindra is doing- they are cashing in on the 4-star ratings mark despite knowing the fact that the six seater will fail on the safety ratings.
Quote:
I don’t think front facing seat looks like the above pictures suggest or am I missing something ??

P.S- Picture sourced from Twitter and was posted by journalist Suman Banerji of Business Today.
Even if this 6 seater news is false, I can imagine following conversation taking place in Mahindra's Product Planning office :

Quote:
Person 1 : Thar has received excellent coverage in media for its 4-star GNCAP rating.

Person 2 : But to get that we had to drop the 6 seater variant, which had good utility quotient and could even seat 8, six adults and 2 kids.

Person 1 : Yes, and in the remaining variants removing rear seats is not easy to use that area as loading bay.

Person 2 : What if we launch the six seater version again ?

Person 1 : If we do that GNCAP will nullify its 4-star safety rating for all variants.

Person 2 : We have received good publicity for 4-star safety rating. Those with safety consciousness know enough that rating drop is due to re-introduction of 6 seater variant....

Person 1 : <completing previous sentence> ... and rest of the folks don't care about safety ratings.

Person 2 : Yeah. So, let's make a proposal and put up for approval.
Old 12th July 2021, 16:44   #1879
Senior - BHPian

Mahindra has clarified that since its discontinuation in November last year, the Thar AX six-seater has not been reintroduced.

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20210712023101_thar_image.jpg

Quote:
Speaking to Autocar India in December last year, Alejandro Furas, secretary general of Global NCAP, said a reintroduction (the side facing seat version), would nullify the rating and Mahindra would be prevented from using it in any form of communication. Furthermore, he elaborated, “beyond cancelling the rating, ideally we would buy a Thar with the side facing seats and then test it again and give a new rating".
Source

Last edited by Venkatesh : 12th July 2021 at 16:53.
Venkatesh is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th July 2021, 17:01   #1880
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
Mahindra has clarified that since its discontinuation in November last year, the Thar AX six-seater has not been reintroduced.
Once the initial euphoria dies down, Mahindra will be looking at a cheaper option of Thar. This will come with smaller engine,, side facing seats annd few other stuff removed. There is big chunk of market in rural India, which buys Thar for the utility it offers. At current prices and front facing seats, there is hardy any utility.

Just a reference
PrideRed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2021, 20:22   #1881
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkad View Post
Thar spare wheel does not have any lock! !
Did anyone come across a good one ? It’s risky to keep it open !
Hey venkad

Did you by any chance pick up the locks from Amazon?
If so could you kindly provide some feedback and also the exact size as there are two size variants on sale.

Brgds
Capt.Arun
Old 12th July 2021, 21:23   #1882
NIP
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsgoutham View Post
I booked mine in Dec '20 and yesterday the dealer called me over to personally hand me an apology letter from M&M for possible delay in delivery, with an accessories discount coupon. Curious as to whether anybody else has had this happen to them too.
Which dealer is this in Chennai ?! It would be great if you could post a scan of the letter here.. !! I booked on 6th December and have ZERO communication from my dealer...seems I made the wrong choice of dealer for booking !!!
Old 13th July 2021, 10:05   #1883
Senior - BHPian

Rajiv Mehta, Head Global Product Planning, M&M Ltd. issued a statement regarding relaunch of Thar AX six-seater version

Quote:
The information about the reintroduction of the AX 6 seater variant of the all-new Mahindra Thar is incorrect. Mahindra has been at the forefront of safety for all its new products and continues to believe in this philosophy. It is critical to highlight that there is no change in our variant mix following the Global NCAP review and rating. We are humbled and proud that the all-new Thar has secured a 4-star rating by GNCAP which makes it the highest-rated off-roading vehicle in India, it reinstates our commitment to our customers' safety as one of our key priorities.
Source

Last edited by Venkatesh : 13th July 2021 at 10:06.
Venkatesh is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th July 2021, 12:14   #1884
Senior - BHPian

I had booked Mahindra Thar on 7th Jan 2021 with a promised delivery date of End Jun 2021. Booking amount Rs. 21000 at Ananth Cars Mysore Road branch. The Sales executive Mr. Somashekar promised even early delivery of End April 2021. Come 25th June 2021 the date of delivery was shifted unceremoniously to earliest Dec 2021 and most probably by Jan-March 2022. This pushed me to cancel the booking on 28th June 2021. I was told that while the delay of delivery is from Mahindra's end, Anant cars will deduct Rs. 2000/- for the cancellation which I felt was unfair/unjustified. Till today I am yet to get a refund with multiple follow-ups. Anant cars/Mahindra have failed miserably in customer service at least w.r.t. me. They have lost one customer FOREVER.
DieselFan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th July 2021, 12:25   #1885
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
Once the initial euphoria dies down, Mahindra will be looking at a cheaper option of Thar. This will come with smaller engine,, side facing seats annd few other stuff removed. There is big chunk of market in rural India, which buys Thar for the utility it offers. At current prices and front facing seats, there is hardy any utility.*SNIP*
I too believe something like this would happen; but I am a cynic and my opinion is that there will be a twist as follows:

They will certainly introduce a crippled model with fewer features etc., maybe with a different name; but they will price that at the current LX prices and raise the LX prices so that there is the impression of a cheaper model.

I believe this because we customers have categorically and unequivocally let Mahindra know that we will buy the Thar even if they increase prices for whatever reason.

Cheers
tilt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2021, 13:05   #1886
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselFan View Post
I had booked Mahindra Thar on 7th Jan 2021 with a promised delivery date of End Jun 2021. Booking amount Rs. 21000 at Ananth Cars Mysore Road branch. The Sales executive Mr. Somashekar promised even early delivery of End April 2021. Come 25th June 2021 the date of delivery was shifted unceremoniously to earliest Dec 2021 and most probably by Jan-March 2022. .
Sorry to hear about this but I will be honest: a Jan 2021 booking could never have been met in April unless you are a celebrity or someone with high end connections (political). I booked in November and my initial CPD was August, then July and now back to August. The only formula that will work if you want a Thar is to have patience. Endless patience. The dealer, ASM, RSM, OEM will test it day in and day out and then one day you will get a call that your car has been allocated. In between, you will have to follow up almost every week and bug the heaven out of them.

About the cancellation fee, this was mentioned right at the beginning that they would deduct 10% and refund. But then again, this is completely up to the discretion of the dealer. Do follow up rigorously.

Last edited by Pancham : 13th July 2021 at 13:07.
Pancham is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th July 2021, 16:00   #1887
Senior - BHPian

Guys who have recently taken delivery, could you please share the insurance amount you paid? The following details will be helpful:

1. Insurer name/co.:
2. IDV amount:
3. Self/showroom:
4. Premium amount:
Old 14th July 2021, 16:46   #1888

Hi Everyone! This is my 1st post ever on TEAM-BHP. Thanks @GTO for accepting my request. Hope to be a worth member of a esteemed group.

I have just received my THAR LX HT P AT on the auspicious occasion of Rath Yatra. I may have been lucky to receive it within few months of booking, 4 to be precise. Did I try to pull a few strings? Yes. Was it effective? Not sure.

Compromises: I had to settle for a Rocky Beige colour instead of the Galaxy Grey which I had initially booked.

I awoke to the rude shock of a price hike, just prior to making a full payment. 1L + difference on the on road price did make me want to change my decision. However my next car of interest, the Jeep Compass was another 12L away. I decided to just go ahead with the additional payment lest I miss the delivery date.

Petrol THAR drives beautifully. The punch and smoothness makes you giggle every time you rev, well, until you see the MID reading 7KMPL.

Here's a pic of the Hulk awaiting to get coronated.

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-image0-1.jpeg
Headoverheart is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 14th July 2021, 23:14   #1889
BHPian

Thar delivery update:

It's a boy!

Booked: October 2020
Delivery: July 2021
Time elapsed : 9 long months.

I'm ecstatic in informing all that I had my last and final test drive of the thar today, as in I will be bringing the beast home day after tomorrow!

Mahindra and CAI Industries Pvt Ltd honoured the most recent CPD date of 11th July 2021.

PDI, hardtop water leak test, heavy body roll test to fish out faulty sensors and documentation check carried out. Found in good order.

Thar is scheduled for temporary registration tomorrow and will be registered subsequently in Ooty over the coming weeks.

I'm overjoyed now that the wait is finally over, well another two nights to go.

Will provide further updates and findings in the coming days.

A big shout out to tbhpian @ph03n!x for the ongoing assistance and guidance during this entire process

Leaving with a parting shot

Brgds
Capt.Arun
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20210709_172716.jpg  

Capt.Arun is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 15th July 2021, 11:30   #1890
Distinguished - BHPian

With the launch of the new Bolero Neo, there are a features that it gets which are sorely lacking in the Thar 2020! Despite paying 50% price more than the Bolero Neo, the Thar does not get seat mounted armrests. These look pretty wide and comfortable on the Bolero and are available for both front seats! On long journeys this is sorely missed in the Thar, the aftermarket storage bin-cum-front armrests for the Thar look very unwieldy and are positioned too high to accommodate the parking brake, so I have desisted from getting those. This is a silly omission from M&M - they could have at least provided an official accessory which fits neatly and marches the seat color.

Also, the Bolero gets 4 rear parking sensors, as opposed to just 2 in the new Thar!
Attached Images

Last edited by 84.monsoon : 15th July 2021 at 11:31.
84.monsoon is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks