Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd August 2022, 19:34   #3361
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar : Official Review

If someone wants to upgrade the Thar headlights on a budget, look no further than Hella 7" sealed beams. These retro-looking reflectors are a direct fit and the throw from the Austrian-made lens is much better than stock. The best part, it just costs Rs.550 odd a piece. While at it, I added a hella wiring kit as well, so that I can easily upgrade the bulbs to 100/90 at a later date if required. Have not seen these available online and I bought them from a Hella dealer in Chennai.

Name:  WhatsApp Image 20220607 at 10.39.59 PM.jpeg
Views: 1376
Size:  81.8 KB

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img_20220626_130054.jpg

Name:  IMG_20220713_184406.jpg
Views: 1340
Size:  83.4 KB
Jaguar is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2022, 20:25   #3362
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by batish View Post
Oh God! Please somebody tell me this is normal for 4 months old car. Why is this material wearing off so quickly?

Attachment 2341130

Attachment 2341131
As Steve Jobs famously said, the problem is you, the customer- and how you are holding it. :-)
Contrapunto is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2022, 21:00   #3363
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aneesh2M View Post
Please check if the area which you highlighted feels softer then rest of the area on same part. I would suggest claim this as manufacturing defect and Mahindra should replace the parts under warranty.
Yes, it does feel softer than the other areas - kinda spongy. But this problem is at more places where the hands don't even go when driving regularly. I spotted one more spot near the steering bottom (inside), which I haven't even touched yet.

Will push for warranty replacement during my next service which I think would be due in 3-4 months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contrapunto View Post
As Steve Jobs famously said, the problem is you, the customer- and how you are holding it. :-)
Oh no. The problem is, it is at those places where neither my thumb or fingers touch.
batish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2022, 21:28   #3364
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
If someone wants to upgrade the Thar headlights on a budget, look no further than Hella 7" sealed beams.
The clarity of this lens and reflector is amazing, I`m happy with normal 60/55W bulbs in this, spread and reach of the beam is very nice.
Kosfactor is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2022, 21:36   #3365
BHPian

Quote:
If someone wants to upgrade the Thar headlights on a budget, look no further than Hella 7" sealed beams. These retro-looking reflectors are a direct fit and the throw from the Austrian-made lens is much better than stock. The best part, it just costs Rs.550 odd a piece. Have not seen these available online and I bought them from a Hella dealer in Chennai.
Could you please share the part number? Also, how really is it different? With comparison to the OEM ones, Is glass different or the reflectors?

One more thing, did you check this one too? Hella 958307011 7-inch Round LED Headlamp with DRL Low Beam -35w.

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-screenshot-20220803-21.35.30.png
batish is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2022, 23:59   #3366
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Could you please share the part number? Also, how really is it different? With comparison to the OEM ones, Is glass different or the reflectors?

One more thing, did you check this one too? Hella 958307011 7-inch Round LED Headlamp with DRL Low Beam -35w.
The part number is 327.076-031. The lens is different and says Made in Austria. There are many models in 7" sealed beams but I was told to go for this particular model with imported glass by someone who was already using it. So, didn't experiment with other models. Plus, I wanted halogens to keep the stock look.

What you have shared seems to be priced at 49k. Mine costs 1/100 of that.

Last edited by Jaguar : 4th August 2022 at 00:21.
Jaguar is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 4th August 2022, 08:49   #3367
BHPian

Quote:
The part number is 327.076-031. The lens is different and says Made in Austria. There are many models in 7" sealed beams but I was told to go for this particular model with imported glass by someone who was already using it. So, didn't experiment with other models. Plus, I wanted halogens to keep the stock look.

What you have shared seems to be priced at 49k. Mine costs 1/100 of that.
A quick question, is the difference night and day or its better than the stock. Because there are a couple of upgrades I have in mind from a functionality perspective and not from a Bling view.

Stock bulbs and headlights are not a strong-hold of Thar. Also looking for Suspension upgrade but there is no direct comparison between Arka and Arc Suspension either. Arc is really good value for money.

@Jaguar, you purchased them from Chennai, can they be sourced from here or Bangalore.
Old 4th August 2022, 14:20   #3368
BHPian

Quote:
If someone wants to upgrade the Thar headlights on a budget, look no further than Hella 7" sealed beams. While at it, I added a hella wiring kit as well, so that I can easily upgrade the bulbs to 100/90 at a later date if required
Didn't know that sealed beams were serviceable! How is it possible to change the filament in a sealed unit to a higher wattage one? Does the low-beam cut-off comply with RHD traffic conditions?
crdi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th August 2022, 06:29   #3369
BHPian

Quote:
Oh God! Please somebody tell me this is normal for 4 months old car. Why is this material wearing off so quickly?

Attachment 2341130

Attachment 2341131
Something to do with use of handsanitizers and then driving?
airguitar is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2022, 08:04   #3370
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by crdi View Post
Didn't know that sealed beams were serviceable! How is it possible to change the filament in a sealed unit to a higher wattage one? Does the low-beam cut-off comply with RHD traffic conditions?
Sealed beam replacement is the actual term to be used , but since sealed beams were history long back , it is now just sealed beam. You can replace the H4 bulb, upgrade wattage etc , no problem.

The H4 bulb itself has a shield for low beam filament, so no worries there.
Kosfactor is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 5th August 2022, 08:15   #3371
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkerThanBlack View Post
+ This video should help with putting stock clips over new LED bulbs.
- Link - https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=jSAoUrecAVI

+ Can you share Pictures of LowBeam and HighBeam performance of OSRAM LEDs on Thar?

+ Would you recommend any other Brand over OSRAM?
- Philips is very costly.
- I recently came to know about an Indian LED Brand - AutoBahn. Do you know anything about it?

+ How about using dual color projectors in fog lights to counter problems with rain, fog and mist?
Thank you for sharing the video. I couldn't find my way around to locking the clip against the plate that comes with Osram... The installer took some time too, finally used a screwdriver to push it in place. The stock halogens can be swapped in and out without any tools.

I don't have the pictures as yet, but got an opportunity to drive last evening in Bangalore rain. The low beams were impressive and significant improvement over factory stock bulbs. Also noticed a clear cut off, so very unlikely to blind oncoming traffic on single carriage ways.

I like to stick to known brands, Osram costed half as much as Phillips. Can suggest to go with Osram, i see no point in shelling out a bomb on these items. Did not explore others and I stay away from Chinese brands too, I don't trust their engineering maturity. The key elements with these LED bulb upgrades is the positioning of diodes, heat management, quality of chokes and overall service life/reliability. You can't go wrong with either Osram or Phillips.

My fogs are factory stock, don't plan to fiddle with them. I don't use it unless I really have to in dense fog/heavy rain. Personally, for me they are of limited utility, I use them to checkout sides/curbs, usually in first gear kinda situation.

May add on pair of Hella auxiliary driving lights in near future.

Last edited by Aditya : 5th August 2022 at 21:38. Reason: Typo
dr.dre is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th August 2022, 11:09   #3372
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by airguitar View Post
Something to do with use of handsanitizers and then driving?
Not really, because the point where this is happening is where nobody keeps their fingers or thumb. Just check the image.
Even if it were because of sanitisers, it would have been at the 10 o'clock, 12 o'clock or 2 o'clock position. But haven't seen something like this there.
batish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2022, 20:20   #3373
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swunkjyn View Post
A quick question, is the difference night and day or its better than the stock. Because there are a couple of upgrades I have in mind from a functionality perspective and not from a Bling view.

@Jaguar, you purchased them from Chennai, can they be sourced from here or Bangalore.
Obviously, for the price, you cannot expect miracles. The spread and throw are better than stock.

You should be able to get it from places like JC road I believe. The Chennai fellow is an authorized dealer and I have purchased from him in the past, so ordered through him. He ships to Bangalore.
Jaguar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2022, 21:17   #3374
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishlinea7260 View Post
Has the rocky beige colour been discontinued?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapany View Post
Yes. .
Too bad if they have discontinued Rocky Beige.

It is one of the most appealing colours and gives the Thar 'in its elements' look
Old 6th August 2022, 09:35   #3375
BHPian

Quote:
Obviously, for the price, you cannot expect miracles. The spread and throw are better than stock.

You should be able to get it from places like JC road I believe. The Chennai fellow is an authorized dealer and I have purchased from him in the past, so ordered through him. He ships to Bangalore.
I also would like to get the same Hella reflectors.
Looked for it in my place at Jaipur, not available.
Can you please share the contact details of the dealer.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks