Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th June 2022, 10:48   #3211
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipstream11 View Post
Last evening I refuelled (diesel) at a HP gas station. It's not the one is usually refuel from.

This morning as I headed out and around ten minutes into the drive white smoke started coming out of the exhaust. There was an instance when the intensity increased and then it stopped.
Can you see any soot deposits on the tail pipe, like black colour.
Old 14th June 2022, 11:14   #3212
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by athalaga View Post
Can you see any soot deposits on the tail pipe, like black colour.
Nope. There is no deposit that I can see.

UPDATE: A short spin at the ASC couldn't replicate the issue. I drove to work - a good half in hour traffic and nothing.

They service guy said it might be some impurities in the fuel or maybe air pockets formed which resulted in incomplete combustion.

I am still wary and have been driving with one eye on the rear view mirror to check for any smoke.
Slipstream11 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2022, 17:28   #3213
BHPian

I have one question and do not want to start a new thread!
With the six airbags compulsory rule coming up, I am assuming same will apply to Thar as well!

What is Mahindra's plan for Thar soft top? Specifically Petrol automatic 4WD soft-top?

Will they bring out 6 airbag variants in soft-top or will M&M kill the soft-top models?
Old 15th June 2022, 07:49   #3214
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohitkumaar View Post
With the six airbags compulsory rule coming up, I am assuming same will apply to Thar as well!

Will they bring out 6 airbag variants in soft-top or will M&M kill the soft-top models?
Is the 6 airbag rule applicable for 2 door vehicles too ? The Jeep Wrangler 2 door comes with 4 airbags as standard, not sure if they managed to fit 6.
Old 19th June 2022, 09:38   #3215

Hello,

I am planning to book my Thar tomorrow. I will be going for the Thar LX AT HT Diesel variant. I have some questions regarding the car, and would be a great help if you guys could answer them for me.

1) How is the AC’s performance in real-time during the summers? I have read from some reviews that due to the “Plastic” top, the car takes very long to cool down the cabin.

2) How is the rear seat comfort on long drives? (400-500kms)

3) I know it’s a cliched question, but what Fuel economy should I expect in the city with sedate driving and B2B traffic?

This car will be my primary car and will be driven in the cities regularly on weekdays. Would appreciate any other insights or suggestions.
Old 19th June 2022, 11:24   #3216
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkygupta View Post
Hello,

I am planning to book my Thar tomorrow. I will be going for the Thar LX AT HT Diesel variant. I have some questions regarding the car, and would be a great help if you guys could answer them for me.

1) How is the AC’s performance in real-time during the summers? I have read from some reviews that due to the “Plastic” top, the car takes very long to cool down the cabin.

3) I know it’s a cliched question, but what Fuel economy should I expect in the city with sedate driving and B2B traffic?

This car will be my primary car and will be driven in the cities regularly on weekdays. Would appreciate any other insights or suggestions.
1. AC performs quite well. Using it in Rajasthan heat & its no issue at all.

2. Rear seat is bouncy no dount about it. However if you slowdown enough to reduce the wallowing its manageable.

3. Diesel you can expect about 10-12 kmpl. Mine is a Diesel Manual and I am getting about 10-12 inside city with 100% time AC on.
techfreak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2022, 11:44   #3217
BHPian

Quote:
I am planning to book my Thar tomorrow.
How long is the waiting period nowadays?

Quote:
It might take longer if it is standing under direct sun for extended periods of time. In covered parking or under shade AC is fine.

Quote:
Not as comfortable as you'd expect in this price range. To be honest, rear seats are a hassle. Nobody likes to get in there. Ingress and egress are a pain. It could be okay for kids with no opinion. For others, it's manageable for 1-2 trips.

Quote:
Fuel economy in B2B in metro cities give around 9-10 kmpl. Automatics tend to be more fuel guzzling than manual ones.

Quote:
Primary car is fine as long as you have secondary cars too. But since you're in the booking phase yet, please don't think this could be a practical choice as the 'Only' car in garage. Nope. Hugely impractical in terms of space.
batish is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th June 2022, 16:38   #3218
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
How is the AC’s performance in real-time during the summers? I have read from some reviews that due to the “Plastic” top, the car takes very long to cool down the cabin
I have a convertible top and the a/c does a fantastic job at cooling the cabin down. I'd presume it would be much more effective for a hard top. Typically, Mahindra a/c's are known for their excellent cooling.

Quote:
How is the rear seat comfort on long drives? (400-500kms)
Not very comfortable. Kids can manage but adults will curse you at the end of the drive

Quote:
I know it’s a cliched question, but what Fuel economy should I expect in the city with sedate driving and B2B traffic?
My petrol AT gives me about 7-8 kmpl in city traffic. Diesel AT should give 10-12 kmpl, I'd presume.

Quote:
This car will be my primary car and will be driven in the cities regularly on weekdays.
Not a great choice as primary car, unless for a bachelor or an adventurous couple Primary drawbacks - zilch boot space, 2-doors, pathetic rear seat accessibility, bouncy ride, to name a few. Please consider your use case and take extensive test drives before taking the plunge.
cool_dube is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th June 2022, 02:10   #3219
Senior - BHPian

Hello, has anyone modified the rear seat of the thar to be more comfortable / offer more bolstering to keep the passenger in one place? My dad is considering biting the bullet on a new thar and during the test drive I just kept sliding all over the rear seat as he was driving. I found no major dislikes with the car other than that and the low turning radius.
Old 20th June 2022, 10:04   #3220

Quote:
Originally Posted by batish View Post
How long is the waiting period nowadays?

Dealer is committing a waiting period of around 8 months for the Diesel AT as per Mahindra, but said that they can deliver in around 3-4 months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post

unless for a bachelor
Thats why I am less concerned and more inclined towards taking the plunge. It’ll just be me driving the car 80% of the time and with a few friends over the weekends. I do have a Kia Seltos in the family as well so my car not being family-centric still works.

Thank you everyone for the input.
Venkygupta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2022, 15:27   #3221
BHPian

I have always driven manual, for almost 15yrs now. How good or bad is Thar MT compared to AT? Would like to know from people who have driven both extensively.

I am planning to take used car route for Thar. I am getting 7mo old Petrol MT HT for 14.80 and Petrol AT HT for 16.
Old 22nd June 2022, 19:42   #3222
BHPian

Guys, is it feasible to install OEM LED fog lamps from other brands? Options like Breeza, Ciaz, Nexon etc. come with round fog lamps. Is size compatible diametrically and would beam pattern be okay?
Old 25th June 2022, 18:01   #3223
BHPian

Finally, bought a new (used) Thar!

Aug 2021 Reg, 1900*km, Petrol HT AT, Rocky Beige, and comes with tons of accessories from the owner (new grill, front and rear lamps, seat covers, arm rest for front and rear passengers, steering cover, rear camera, and probably more). I paid 16L for this. Here are some pics of this beast.

PS: Looking for suggestions for the name.

PPS: Is there a Delhi Thar club (whatsapp or discord) I can join?
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-thar-1.jpeg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-thar-2.jpeg  

vellatechie is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 25th June 2022, 19:20   #3224
BHPian

The DTE meter seems like a joke in Thar. A full tank shows a range of over 800 KM, but I have never been able to get over 450 KM in city and 600 KM on highway. DTE remains inaccurate as the fuel reduces. No complaints on the fuel efficiency as such but wish they made the DTE more accurate through an update.
Tourer is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 26th June 2022, 22:40   #3225

I test drove a 5000kms driven thar AT D hard top. Liked the overall drivability. But one thing which made ride a little uncomfortable was the air pressure I was feeling on my ears. It was sort of uncomfortable. It was similar to the pressure you feel when you drive a 6 seated like XUV700, when the glass on middle seat window is down, while all other glasses are up.

Anyone felt something similar while driving thar? Any views would be helpful

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 26th June 2022 at 23:41. Reason: Removing the unwanted bits due to copy-pasting.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks