Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th April 2022, 13:22   #3091
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4_attitude View Post
My SA is charging me 24446 for 4th & 5th year + RSA unto 5 years, Can anyone confirm me if they are charging me right or keeping extra margins on warranty as well ?
You can check and validate the rates here:

https://www.withyouhamesha.com/shield.aspx
comfortablynumb is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th April 2022, 15:41   #3092
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbie_thar View Post
Does anyone have recommendations for what's the best insurance company and plan for Diesel AT hard top ?
Dealer has quoted me 66,000 but on policy bazaar it's shown as low as 38,000 (united india and national insurance )

Is it too good to be true ? I had done a lot of research when buying health insurance does car insurance also have so many catches ?
Insurance policy entails a number of things. Check add-ons. ZD, RTI, engine, key, tire etc. are some add-ons which frankly I prefer. Check what is being offered online vs at the dealer.

Also check which insurance company is the dealer offering. Someone they have a cashless tie up with. Not all insurance companies have cashless tie ups with all dealerships. You can still choose if you're ok with getting the claim amount later in your account.
Lastly tell the dealer the quote you're getting from Policy Bazaar and ask him to match it. If it comes to a couple of thousands around it, I would prefer the dealer.
navpreet318 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th April 2022, 15:50   #3093
BHPian

Noticed the distance to obstacle ( in cms) in park assist today which I feel wasn't there earlier. Seems like it came as an update during the 10k KM service, quite helpful.Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20220408_153150.jpg
Tourer is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 8th April 2022, 20:19   #3094
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
Auto style, in Koramangala is their dealer and I went there only. 9845004858 is the number I have got.
I went there today and found Bimbra dead pedal quality to be good, but as you mentioned angle was very steep and moreover it was too much on the front to my comfortability.

Has anyone found a dead pedal which is not steep and can be installed without additional drill on the body?
Old 8th April 2022, 22:49   #3095

Thanks to official review thread, pho3nix's legendary taste of freedom, many youtubers especially DCV and "The one living life" (whose posts I have seen here too, forgot his username on teambhp) I am almost buying the Thar tomorrow.

Few days back I had posted here asking for time for shipping from plant to dealer, before posting here the manager had stopped picking my calls. I am not sure if someone from Mahindra observes this thread or some member helped me out anonymously. Thank you stranger!!

I received a call next morning from dealership saying that a complaint has been raised, and in the evening I was informed that car has been dispatched. All in all extremely good experience with the Dealership, SA, Manager, ASM and Mahindra.

Today I went for PDI, with teamBhp printed checklist in my hand. Somewhat disappointed to find these out..

1- There is rust inside the gap between disc plates of front tyres.

2- On the front left tyre's disk plate, there are rust lines all over the plate
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20220408-3.14.15-pm-1.jpeg

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20220408-3.14.15-pm-2.jpeg

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20220408-3.14.15-pm.jpeg

How can there be rust on day 0 ? Is this normal ?

3- Drove the AT version for first time, and I felt that upshifts aren't smooth. Engine creates a lot noise in between 1k-2k rpm, but upshift happen only at 2k rpm. I don't like the feel of this sound Is this normal experience in Thar or AT's in general ?

Now to be fair I myself don't a lot about rev matching and rpms, CNG alto is the only car I have long experience with and I just shift gears by sound of engine and it's buttery smooth.

PS: Yes, I am complete newbie wrt cars especially AT and 4x4.
newbie_thar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th April 2022, 00:01   #3096
BHPian

Quote:
I am almost buying the Thar tomorrow.
Hey, Congrats!

Quote:
Somewhat disappointed to find these out..

1- There is rust inside the gap between disc plates of front tyres.
This is completely normal, even if you hadn't seen this in PDF you'd have observed this in due course of time. Once you start washing your car you'll observe this. Nothing fishy.

Quote:
2- On the front left tyre's disk plate, there are rust lines all over the plate

How can there be rust on day 0 ? Is this normal ?
Even this is completely normal. This usually happens when water dries on the disc. Even after a short trip you won't notice these. When brake pads touch the disc, friction automatically cleans this rust. Happens in every vehicle. Even in your Alto you'd have seen this if you can see disc from outside, i.e if you have alloys.

Quote:
3- Drove the AT version for first time, and I felt that upshifts aren't smooth. Engine creates a lot noise in between 1k-2k rpm, but upshift happen only at 2k rpm. I don't like the feel of this sound Is this normal experience in Thar or AT's in general ?
Noise is something which you'll have to live with. Since there's not much padding or carpeting in the car, lots of noises creep in. At speeds above 85-90, you'll hear road noise even if your variant comes with hard top.

Regarding upshifts, they are smooth not DSG smooth but smooth enough that average joe won't notice any gear change. Just be gentle on the throttle. If you haven't driven any automatic before it'll take few days to adapt. Eventually you'll love it. Yes, upshifts happen at 2K RPM.

Don't worry. Chill and enjoy the experience.
batish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2022, 00:45   #3097
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by batish View Post
Noise is something which you'll have to live with. Since there's not much padding or carpeting in the car, lots of noises creep in. At speeds above 85-90, you'll hear road noise even if your variant comes with hard top.

Regarding upshifts, they are smooth not DSG smooth but smooth enough that average joe won't notice any gear change. Just be gentle on the throttle. If you haven't driven any automatic before it'll take few days to adapt. Eventually you'll love it. Yes, upshifts happen at 2K RPM.

Don't worry. Chill and enjoy the experience.
Adding to what @Batish has said -

The Aisin AT in the Thar (and XUV5OO, from experience) is tuned to be sportive - it upshifts early, and downshifts early too.

The lockup clutch engages (in my theory/ opinion) with the 3rd gear. You'll, with experience, learn how the upshifts happen - and learn when to let go of the throttle to have a smoother/ earlier upshift.

Rest assured, M&M has mated the AT with the Thar brilliantly.

Have fun!
ph03n!x is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2022, 01:02   #3098
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
Rest assured, M&M has mated the AT with the Thar brilliantly.
Hey, one thing I want to ask about this gearbox. The issue I face is whenever I break the cruise at 80, it is always in 5th gear. Not so good for fuel economy and/or engine noise.

Is there anyway that gearbox shift in 6th gear at 80-82? Now what I do is reach till 90, then come down to 80 for the gearbox to be in 6th gear and yep, I've tried manual mode too. It does not accede.

Even in the cruise mode it stays in 5th gear. Any solution?
Old 9th April 2022, 09:06   #3099
BHPian

Quote:
Hey, one thing I want to ask about this gearbox. The issue I face is whenever I break the cruise at 80, it is always in 5th gear. Not so good for fuel economy and/or engine noise.

Is there anyway that gearbox shift in 6th gear at 80-82? Now what I do is reach till 90, then come down to 80 for the gearbox to be in 6th gear and yep, I've tried manual mode too. It does not accede.

Sorry to ask a basic question - In AT how do you know in which gear it is running? I don't see any gear indicator on MID.
Old 9th April 2022, 10:36   #3100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

The AT maintains certain min. RPM in each gear. The lowest I've gotten to in 6th is about 82 KMPH - accelerate to 90 KMPH and ease on the A-pedal, let it shift up. Cruise on, reduce speeds one step at a time, and it'll cruise at 82 or so in 6th.

RPM drops to ~1300 in 6th at 82 KMPH, and that's probably why it's downshifting below that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBagheera View Post
Sorry to ask a basic question - In AT how do you know in which gear it is running? I don't see any gear indicator on MID.
Just move the AT shifter briefly to Manual mode, MID will show the current gear. You'll eventually 'feel' which gear you are in through power delivery behaviour and RPM...
ph03n!x is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 9th April 2022, 13:42   #3101
BHPian

Adding some pics of the Thar underbody protective plates I bought off Swastik dabs.

Will have a winch plate from Arka fitting in a couple of weeks with a Dr. Nano 12k pound synth winch as well.

Question1 - regarding suspensions, I think I can throw a little money at the problem now. I have two choices.

1. Rear coils and all 4 struts from Avo - 1.1L. 2yr/75k kms warranty. I was advised by Phillipos M. From Speedsport Delhi that it'll help countering the weight of the winch.. How though, since the coils are at the rear?
2. 4 struts from Arc. 50k. 1yr/40k kms warranty. No springs for this! They supposedly work odd the stock springs.

OR
Q2: I can wait for more market feedback.
Q3: Aren't there any FSD dampers for the Thar? I'd be much more interested in a technical upgrade in damping tech.
Q4: Any impact in articulation / composure handling with either fixed or tunable valves for damping and rebound? There's got to be a cost to pay by going to aftermarket 'softer' suspensions as opposed to stock.
Q5: Any alternatives? I see how no one is suggesting an anti roll bar with the softer suspensions even though they had such a set up with the older DI and CRDe.

P.S. As an older CRDe owner, I'm just trying to find ways to make this more comfortable for 15 hour drives.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20220409_122547.jpg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20220409_122600.jpg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20220409_122643.jpg  

Last edited by wooka : 9th April 2022 at 14:09.
wooka is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 10th April 2022, 18:02   #3102
BHPian

Between Swastik, Prad, Bimbra, Azad, etc is there any consensus on which is a better Underbody protection? I use my thar on trails, rocks, slush, if that helps.
Kapany is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2022, 18:14   #3103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooka View Post
Adding some pics of the Thar underbody protective plates I bought off Swastik fabs.
Thank you for the images Sir! Could you please share how much you paid for it, and why did you choose this one - between arka, and others. Anything special?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapany View Post
Between Swastik, Prad, Bimbra, Azad, etc is there any consensus on which is a better Underbody protection? I use my thar on trails, rocks, slush, if that helps.
Just when I was about to type the same very question, I see you did it minutes earlier.

For members, here are the links for your convenience, please help us choose. Swastik Fabs, Bimbra, Prad, Azad, Arka

Which one out of these would cover the most part?
Old 10th April 2022, 23:57   #3104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
Just move the AT shifter briefly to Manual mode, MID will show the current gear. You'll eventually 'feel' which gear you are in through power delivery behaviour and RPM...
If I switch to adventure statistics > Off-road. I get to see the current gear indicator on that dial. It can also be added to one of the custom ones.
However, I noticed it may not show during slower speeds, need to check again.

I have observed that it switches to 6th gear around speed of 87+kmph and would switch back to 5th around 80kmph. Your observations on RPM may be more authoritative since gearbox may shift based on the RPMs. However, these numbers may help set a cruise control at around 80+kmph once you hit that 87+kmph to get to the top-gear.

I'm just wondering if I can shift the gear-stick to manual when it is cruising at higher speed, I thought its only for use during low speeds since it supports only 3 gears. Would it not damage anything if its moved to manual at higher speed? just curious, need to read about that on the manual.
Edit: got that from the manual, this helps.
Attached Images

Last edited by Ketan : 11th April 2022 at 00:12.
Ketan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th April 2022, 01:15   #3105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapany View Post
Quote:
Just when I was about to type the same very question, I see you did it minutes earlier.

For members, here are the links for your convenience, please help us choose. Swastik Fabs, Bimbra, Prad, Azad, Arka

Which one out of these would cover the most part?
I did this research when I got my underbody done - Arka covers the fuel tank by design, and optionally has a DEF tank plate too. It alsi has openings for changing engine oil without removing the engine cover, and the plates come with baffles for air circulation. I had put up some details around it in my ownership thread earlier...

At that time, none of others had a complete underbody protection that covers the fuel tank too - may have changed now.
ph03n!x is online now   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks