Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd December 2022, 22:23   #3796

Re: Mahindra Thar : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post

Congratulations! Yes extended warranty if it's called Shield, take it

Going against popular mod here - the Wrangler grill & bumper. Why? It makes the vehicle look less imposing on the road, makes it look smaller. I spent an afternoon looking at it and realised why they have made the stock grill the way it is, they would have done something else instead.

It's made to look bigger than it is.

Rest of the things are okay, I'd leave the fog lamp as is though.
Thanks for your insight! “Bumper” was a typo. Only plan to change the grill as I find the wrangler type just looks better in my eyes, just a matter of personal taste . Leaving the stock bumper as it is. The stock one definitely looks beefier.
Old 4th December 2022, 03:21   #3797
BHPian

I have driven 2500kms on my Thar P MT HT grey. Overall, I absolutely love the SUV. Its great fun to drive and I have become comfortable using it as my daily commuter. Some observations and issues I'm putting down here just to know and understand better. Please feel free to advice or add.

- Drivers seat rocks a bit when I hit a bump or go over a speed breaker. It bothered me but I wasn't sure if this was the design itself and a friend drove the car today and noticed it as well. I'm not sure if it is just a loose part. What could it be? I'm not sure what to tell the Mahindra guys if i take it to them so want to understand better. Worried they will brush it off as a non issue.

- I'm a bit disappointed with the service at Randhawa kurla in Mumbai. They try to brush off everything as a non issue. Not sure how to make them function better. They don't seem to know the functionings of the thar very well.

- Drivers side window made a screeching noise every time I rolled it down for the 1st time after parking it overnight. 2nd time onwards the sound disappeared. Got this checked. They lubricated it is what they said. A few days after that the sound has disappeared.

- Passenger side window moves in and out of its place while rolling it up and down. It's a visible shift in the glass midway as it moves up or down. Got this checked but they said it was the play that's existent in all the vehicles but it's a bit odd to me that this is normal. Anybody else has this issue? Is it really normal? It's there in the drivers side window too but much much lesser.

- My gear knob made this noise while shifting like something was brushing against it. Again, they got it lubricated and the sound went away. It could be just the cloth cover at the bottom of the gear knob brushing against the Lever itself.

- Mileage is currently at a horrible 6.5/6.6 in the city and 7.5 on the highway by tank to tank method of calculation. I feel like this is really low for a petrol manual. I'm reading reviews of people getting around 8 in the city. how do I improve mileage? I'm not an aggressive driver so I go easy on the throttle. RPM is kept low too and shifts are done right I feell. Will this improve over time? Does anything need checking? On a full tank, the DTE shows around 540. I refuel when the low petrol light come in. Usually around 80km remaining on the DTE with a consumption of 43 litres of petrol and a trip of 300-310kms

- Quite unhappy with the stock headlights. They are not powerful enough for sure.

- Bluetooth and android auto has its random issues. Doesn't connect sometimes. I have no clue why. If I switch off the vehicle and switch it back on, it works fine.

- How do I keep the white markings on the tyres clean? Anyway the whiteness can be retained or brought back. Tried cleaning it with some tyres cleaners but not happy. Love how it looks when it's clean so want that.

- I hear a whooshing sound for a few secs when the turbo kicks in while acelarating. Again, I was told this is normal when I asked the Mahindra guys. Is it true?

Would love to know what you guys think and if you have any other issues that I should look out for. Thanks a ton guys!
ravishankr89 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th December 2022, 07:57   #3798
BHPian

Here is my fuel log of my Thar P AT HT. The AFE is calculated by full tank method. In my last trip, combined multiple fills into one. For my city usage, I am getting 7 - 8 kmpl in city and for high way 10 - 11 kmpl. In city I used Shell normal petrol and during highway trips Reliance. I drive 90 - 100 km/h in highways in general.
Attached Images

r_devakumar is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th December 2022, 08:55   #3799
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueyTechie View Post
Spotted this black Thar sporting a copper colored alloy. I don't know what is the make of it but loved it as well as the slightly larger wheels vehicle was sporting. It gave a lovely stance to the vehicle.
These are Lenso MX Ebola rims & becoming very popular:
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-screenshot-20221116-103610.jpg
GTO is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 4th December 2022, 10:36   #3800

A Small Upgrade for the Thar Head Lights

Most of us who own the New Thar must have had this thought right after driving at night for the first time: the headlights are dull, orangish, and outdated. For me, the stock headlamps are unbecoming for a car of the price category that the New Thar sits in. The stock ones indeed help in fog, rains and all but dull halogen lamps are kind of old tech in the age of LEDs and that’s a fact. I started to look for options right after I had my hands on the car. My first thought was to find a pair of H4 LEDs that I could hook up in the original reflectors. I quickly realised that LED bulbs are not generally suitable inside reflector housings that are designed for halogens. LEDs in such a setup would probably throw light all over the place, at oncoming road users’ faces and be less effective in general. I’m also not ready to get LED housings right away. At least for the moment, until someone convinces me that they have got H4 LEDs properly designed for the stock reflectors in the New Thar, I will have to do with old-school halogens.

Stock halogen lamps in my Thar were Phoenix H4 dual beam 55/60W units. For me, upgrading to brighter halogens meant increasing the wattage of the bulbs, for I did not know high-performance bulbs were available at the same wattage. Threads in T-BHP directed me to Philips X-treme Vision G Force and Osram Night Breaker Laser. I did some digging to know how these bulbs manage to give the extra brightness they promise to offer. Both these manufacturers make tall brightness increase claims over standard halogens with 130% for Philips and 150% for Osram.

I got the Osram one from Amazon. It so happens that these bulbs operate at higher filament temperatures than their cheaper standard counterparts and have a bluish coating on them for shifting the spectrum to higher kelvins. Whatever goes into making these filaments run hotter, also takes the cost of these bulbs much higher than the standard ones. The original Phoenix ones in the Thar would set you back by about 350 a pair meanwhile, the high-performance ones cost around 1800 a pair. It is not only the price, but the high-performance ones have operating lives much shorter than the standard ones. As per Osram, the Night Breaker Lasers have a 3% (L3) probability of failure within 80 hours for high beam filament and 200 hours for low beam. Meanwhile, the high beam filament would last 160 hours and the low beam 400 hours with 62.1% (Tc) probability. For reference, these figures are about half or lesser than what you can expect out of the standard Halogens. Moreover, if you are DIYing the upgrade, make sure you don’t touch the bulb glass with your bare fingers. That would reduce the life of the bulbs even further.

The bottom line is, you get a pair of halogen bulbs that are brighter by about 30% (not a scientific measure), run whiter, have lives about half of the stock ones at five times the price and this upgrade is street legal. Are they worth it? I think so. However, I carry the stock bulbs in the car, just in case!

If you are wondering where to store all such items in the Thar without eating into the already non-existent boot space, I have found some space below the rear seats. I have managed to fit a tyre inflator, jump starter cables, spare bulbs, some basic tools etc., under there. My wife had a laugh!
arunpools is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 4th December 2022, 10:50   #3801
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satchit_bhp View Post
Should we shift the Thar AT to Neutral, when we stop on a traffic signal or halt for a few moments or use the brakes?
In a DSG or DCT, I would say "yes", but in a torque converter, it does not harm the vehicle in any way to stay in gear. That said, Shankar Balan has put forth a more nuanced rationale for not staying in gear.

In my case, having driven a DSG for over seven years it is muscle memory for me to shift to neutral even in a torque converter.

Cheers

Last edited by libranof1987 : 4th December 2022 at 12:27. Reason: Typos
tilt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2022, 11:59   #3802
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunpools View Post
If you are wondering where to store all such items in the Thar without eating into the already non-existent boot space, I have found some space below the rear seats. I have managed to fit a tyre inflator, jump starter cables, spare bulbs, some basic tools etc., under there. My wife had a laugh!
How did you do that? Passenger side seat is sliding so can't store there as it'll obstruct movement of rear passengers. For driver side, it seems a little risky in case anything slides into driver footwell.

Also, if possible please share a photo of your storage management.
Old 4th December 2022, 13:27   #3803
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravishankr89 View Post
Would love to know what you guys think and if you have any other issues that I should look out for. Thanks a ton guys!
One by one replies basis my own experience and from what I know as a long time M&M user and 2 year Thar user.

1. Seats definitely need to be looked at. And all their support bolts to be tightened.
2. With these dealers it’s best to take the upper hand. Be polite. Tell them you absolutely want these things done. Insist on standing there when they check and do their work. Politely refuse to sit in the lounge. Push comes to shove tell them you’re a paying customer and hence they better oblige you. Things is you have to take a day off work to see to all this.
3. Window screech can happen if there is moisture and if their application of Silicone spray has solved it, that is good.
4. The passenger side window sway movement is definitely not normal from what you describe. Ask them to remove the panel and inspect the window winder mechanism and the cradle. Strong chances that they will find this worthy of changing. Be there personally when they investigate this job so that they are forced to act.
5. I can’t understand what this gear lever noise is. Hence cannot advise. My Thar AT lever doesn’t make any of these noises.
6. FE is a challenge with this Thar. I ve given a quite a lot of real life feedback on this subject as many others also have and which you can read about on this thread further down. We have to drive it as best we can. But bumper to bumper city traffic with the AC on all the time, absolutely does not help matters at all. In my case, I’ve demonstrated the mileage that I get, below. It is basically not great. However, it can be eked out a bit, but that is dependent on your usage conditions and driving style.
7. Stock headlamps are easily upgraded to good white halogens Philips xtreme vision g force H4 or Osram night breaker H4. It is a straight fit and will cost 1800 Rs a pair of bulbs. You can refer further down the thread to various posts on headlamps upgrade and demonstrative pictures as well. I ve also stated clearly why I prefer Halogens to LEDs.
8. I used to face occasional headaches with the Apple car play when using aftermarket connectors but the moment I started using the Apple Original cable, this problem hasn’t cropped up again.
9. Our conditions in India are such that the white raised lettering will just become khaki beige mud coloured over time. Just like a pair of new white trainers/ sneakers do. There is no help for it, other than regular washing and cleaning. I would never use toothpaste and suchlike or various solvents on the tyres because I wouldn’t want those to react and weaken my tyres in any way. And truth be told, a Jeepy thing ought never to be too squeaky clean.
10. Indeed there is a whoosh which I’ve always seen in my Thar and which I actually like. It’s a surge which I like a lot. Fancifully speaking, it is almost like one can hear the Petrol rushing through the injectors. As long as the acceleration is as it should be and as long as the turbo kicks in properly at 1200 rpm or so, or when the accelerator is stomped, you’re good. In the Petrol Thar AT, there is very little turbo lag as such.The power delivery is very linear. They have tuned this engine for performance and fun, not for fuel efficiency and all. Saying all of the above, it is good to periodically check all the hoses and connectors inside the engine bay, including but not limited to, the Turbo hoses and all.

Last edited by Aditya : 8th December 2022 at 06:44. Reason: Quoted text trimmed
shankar.balan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th December 2022, 20:33   #3804

Quote:
Originally Posted by batish View Post
How did you do that? Passenger side seat is sliding so can't store there as it'll obstruct movement of rear passengers. For driver side, it seems a little risky in case anything slides into driver footwell.

Also, if possible please share a photo of your storage management.
You will find some space for storage under the Rear Seats. This area can only be accessed from the inside and not from the rear door. I arranged the items in a rectangular somewhat slim bag and tied its straps to the rear seat rear bolt anchors. That way the bag would remain under the seat itself and won't come sliding. I will post some pics some time.

Removing the accessories bag and putting it back is a chore though!
arunpools is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2022, 21:02   #3805

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravishankr89 View Post
- Bluetooth and android auto has its random issues. Doesn't connect sometimes. I have no clue why. If I switch off the vehicle and switch it back on, it works fine.
This was a major issue with my old USB cable. Android Auto would drop out now and then. When I changed the cable to a new one, random disconnections suddenly disappeared. However, the Infotainment won't connect with Android Auto many times after starting. It doesn't matter if I'm parked or moving or whether the engine is on or off. Once it has decided not to get connected, only switching off and back on the car key would work. The same issue as yours.

So, as a solution, I first turn the ignition to ON position without cranking the engine. Connect the phone and if it decides not to connect, turn the key back to Lock and retry. That way I don't have to switch the engine OFF and back ON in the cold mornings for connecting the stubborn Android Auto.

In my case, just for reference, Android Auto acts hostile once in maybe 10 times and it has always worked in the second try.
arunpools is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th December 2022, 21:26   #3806
BANNED

Quote:
You will find some space for storage under the Rear Seats. This area can only be accessed from the inside and not from the rear door. I arranged the items in a rectangular somewhat slim bag and tied its straps to the rear seat rear bolt anchors. That way the bag would remain under the seat itself and won't come sliding. I will post some pics some time.

Removing the accessories bag and putting it back is a chore though!
Storage issues in your 3 door Thar?
Look no further than this!

This is From last week’s three day trip to Coorg and back - two of us, my friend and I and our luggage, went for golf AND attended three functions of a wedding..and we didn’t need to repeat our outfits either, even once!

I have the Tumble fold rear seat. Secured with a Bungee Cord.
Two golf bags spoon fashion. Also Secured with Bungee cords.

Below this as you can see, there are some normal essential items storage bags. And ample space for a couple of suitcases, duffel bags and all. Can hang jackets from the grab handles at the rear. Can accommodate shoe bags by placing them neatly on the rear arm rests. They won’t budge, if packed smartly. In addition,for odds and ends, there are those storage tubes attached to the rear roll cage and the normal grab handle bag in front. Basically, the Thar can be modified beautifully to become an excellent grand tourer for two persons and a surprisingly generous amount of luggage.

This is now absolutely a FUN and Functional and Practical go anywhere anytime vehicle!

Before you ask, here is the number of the chaps who got this tumble fold seat done for me as well as several others before me. Mr. Kaul of Azad 4x4 in Hosakote, just outside of Bangalore. 99801-37004.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-e8306ed0a1b1405f921f39a4947e0a9f.jpeg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-eae7cbada9654dfc9830dfd8f3081b51.jpeg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-93b99675a13d4366903750d5d9a33983.jpeg  

Last edited by shankar.balan : 4th December 2022 at 21:47.
shankar.balan is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 4th December 2022, 22:43   #3807

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
I have the Tumble fold rear seat. Secured with a Bungee Cord.
Two golf bags spoon fashion. Also Secured with Bungee cords.
I have been exploring this option for the rear seats too but feeling a bit skeptical. How long have you had this modification? Does it require any structural changes on the floor of the vehicle like drilling/welding etc.? Does it have the slider functionality too? Any other issues like rattling etc observed during long drives/off-roading?

Last edited by Aditya : 8th December 2022 at 06:46. Reason: Quoted text trimmed
Old 5th December 2022, 00:52   #3808
BHPian

Quote:
In my case, just for reference, Android Auto acts hostile once in maybe 10 times and it has always worked in the second try.
Thanks! Looks like we have found the same solution to this issue. Patience is key with the thar it seems

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
One by one replies basis my own experience and from what I know as a long time M&M user and 2 year Thar user.
1. Will get this checked. Seems like some basic tightening will do it. Glad my friend noticed it and told me.
2. Will try this next time. Yes. Will have to be there the whole day.
4. I did get this checked but they said it was normal. Some basic play will be there is what they said.
7. I have read your posts on the headlights. Definitely getting those on soon.
10. Good to know this sound is normal. Its been bothering me since day 1. Almsot thought I had a defective vehicle at one point

Thanks for taking out the time for the replies!

Last edited by Aditya : 8th December 2022 at 06:48. Reason: Quoted text trimmed
Old 5th December 2022, 06:11   #3809
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Growler86 View Post
I have been exploring this option for the rear seats too but feeling a bit skeptical. How long have you had this modification? Does it require any structural changes on the floor of the vehicle like drilling/welding etc.? Does it have the slider functionality too? Any other issues like rattling etc observed during long drives/off-roading?
For these answers please read this thread further down. Post No 3633. Nov 2nd 2022.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2022, 10:15   #3810
BHPian

Rear seat mod in my Thar.
Installed a Chevy Optra Front passenger seat in place of the stock fixed bench seat. It slides, reclines, uses the existing seat belt.
Has enough luggage space for 3 and Doggo is also happy.

Costed Rs.1500/- (Seat), material Rs.500/-, Installation Rs. 0 (DIY), Seat Upholstery Rs.1500/-

I have used existing seat mount points so no permanent change/mod to the veh. But yes had to cut the stock mat few places.

Now I can easily fit in adequate luggage or 2 cycles or the Doggo. Generally been using the top rack to hold luggage.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-23166ebec7ee4f10996efc323d5a23ab.jpeg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-c1c258e3dbf249f283f5fbe10384e4f0.jpeg  

Last edited by techfreak : 5th December 2022 at 10:19.
techfreak is offline   (35) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks