Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 19th January 2021, 23:17   #1081
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
Long story short, given your requirements and liking towards Seltos, Creta, Nexon, XUV5OO etc, THAR should not have been IN in the first place.
Sorry to say but that's a very ostensible deduction of the thought behind my aspiration to own a certain product. I aspired to own it and when I checked it out, it seemed fairly acceptable to me but when I saw what the competition has to offer for the same amount of money, I started exploring my options and I think I already like something else more. I am sure we all go through this process for multiple purchase decisions in routine life than just a car (which is probably one of the bigger purchases one makes).

I could live with the Thar but given that we drive the most in city and on highways (rarely off-road requiring that high a GC and never off-road requiring 4x4) and I have always liked cars which are more nimble and are dynamically sorted (but sometimes butch and boxy too). I am sure if I was to test drive a Polo TSI, I'd probably end up liking it a lot more in the handling department than even a Seltos so that doesn't go to say that I should have always looked at the hatchback segment. It is a buyer's market and I am spoilt for choice as a consumer!

I even checked out Honda City ZX CVT petrol and loved it but then I can have the Creta SX IVT with the panoramic sunroof, bose audio and tons of other bells and whistles for a similar price. So yup, lots of options and plenty to choose from but I have time to make a choice. So far, I loved the diesel AT combo of Seltos but we are contemplating if shelling out another INR 2.5L for Creta SX diesel auto for that sunroof etc. makes more sense as we will keep the car for at least 8 to 10 years. The runner up to Seltos was Nexon, felt very safe and well cocooned with decent handling and driving dynamics, and we get a smallish sunroof which we don't in Seltos at our budget. That AMT was a bit interfering (it wants to upshift when I don't and cause that perceptible head nod - it doesn't really happen) but nothing the manual mode wouldn't solve for and I could live with it fairly satisfied.

Last edited by zzzehar : 19th January 2021 at 23:19.
zzzehar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th January 2021, 07:42   #1082
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
It is high. It should be in the range of 50-55K. Let us know the final deal you got.
Do check for the IDV in the quote. I learnt from my dealer that IDV can only go upto 95% of the ex showroom value. I am looking to validate this claim

Also given that HT variants have a whole lot of plastic, look for an insurance that provides cover for plastic parts. The std bumper to bumper cover may not cover plastic parts
Old 20th January 2021, 09:54   #1083
BHPian

@Members who have already taken insurance on their new Thar:

Can you please help with the following:

1. Are you getting an 100% of the ESR price as IDV?
2. Opting for add-ons like zero depreciation, 247 RSA, engine protection, any other.
3. Final quote.
4. Insurer opted for.

Any other key considerations.
Old 20th January 2021, 10:30   #1084
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
The difference in ride quality, handling, high-speed dynamics, ride comfort, etc. between a ladder-frame vehicle like the Thar and monocoque (or unitary) vehicle like the XUV 3OO is like night and day, no two thoughts about it. This is a hard fact despite all the razzmatazz by Mahindra.
Since getting delivery of the Thar, I have taken a few long city drives (40-50 km each). Have not yet had a chance to do a long distance drive, and I know the Thar is not ideal for that. However, coming from using an Ecosport for 7+ years, I did not feel there is a noticeable difference in overall comfort over normal city driving between the Thar and the Ecosport. The Ecosport had a hard suspension, so used to judder quite a lot over bad roads. Yes, when navigating speed breakers, I have to take these slower in the Thar. Potholes etc. were equally bad in both. However, I was actually more confident in the Thar, knowing that one need not fear damage to the vehicle, since it is made to take much rougher stuff.

The condition of most regular city roads in our cities have improved gradually. The Thar gives you much better visibility and confidence to take on the bad stuff, plus earns you "increased right of way" due to its road presence and imposing nature. So I would say, if you are going to use the car primarily in the city, have another car for long distance outstation drives, a Thar with an auto transmission should actually be a reasonably good choice. It is very maneuverable and easy to park in the typical by-lane. These last week+ since I got delivery, I find I am looking for an excuse to grab the Thar's keys and wiz around to run errands - it has got such an easy, relaxed and indestructible feel to it!

Last edited by 84.monsoon : 20th January 2021 at 10:36.
84.monsoon is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th January 2021, 10:39   #1085
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
However, coming from using an Ecosport for 7+ years, I did not feel there is a noticeable difference in overall comfort over normal city driving between the Thar and the Ecosport.
Agreed. My point was specific to driving dynamics and comfort over long highway drives. For city driving, the Thar is a great car with excellent view from driver's seat, lovely engine, auto transmission, all creature comforts, etc. and of course, as you said, the muscle to move other cars out of the way
Old 20th January 2021, 10:40   #1086
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipstream11 View Post
@Members who have already taken insurance on their new Thar:

Can you please help with the following:

1. Are you getting an 100% of the ESR price as IDV?
2. Opting for add-ons like zero depreciation, 247 RSA, engine protection, any other.
3. Final quote.
4. Insurer opted for.

Any other key considerations.
Answers to your questions -

1 Yes
2 YES to all - taken the complete works
3 61k or so
4 IFFCO TOKIO

All done at dealer.
vkochar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2021, 15:13   #1087

Quote:
Originally Posted by isldhn View Post
Guys, have come across a road block.
There seem to be two sets of people here. The ones who are in doubt about their Thar purchase and the other set of people whose needs can only be met by a vehicle like Thar.

I grew up in the mountains of Kerala surrounded by Mahindras. The MM 540s and commanders ruled the "roads". 20 years later, the infrastructure has changed a lot and so is our lifestyle. But if you're to go back to my hometown (Alakode, Kerala), you will still find the Mahindra Majors ruling the taxi stand over every other mode of transportation. The infrastructure has changed but not the landscape!

When I started looking for a car in late 2019, my only criteria was that it needs to climb the slushy mountains roads with confidence, and should be drivable to the IT tech parks of Bangalore. Perhaps the only choice I have had was the Duster AWD, but the production was halted with the BS6 implementation. I and my wife had taken a test drive of almost every tall car available within a ~20 lakhs budget. The list includes the 2020 Creta, Seltos, XUV 300, etc... And the only vehicles I even considered buying were the new Duster with a 1.3 turbo engine and the Tata Harrier. I just wish they had an AWD, at least as an option.

Thar was launched when I was seriously looking for a used Fortuner or Endevelor. So to someone like me, Thar made absolute sense. In fact, there wasn't even an option available to compare with. My wife took an immediate liking for Thar. She liked the tall seating position and confidence-inspiring visibility. Thar will be the only car that I will have and I'm planning to keep it the same way for some time. If I develop an itch, I will probably look for a used Skoda Octavia 1.8 a couple of years down the line.

You don't buy the Thar for its ride quality. Your duster will comfortably take you to 95% of the places where the Thar will take you. But that 5% will be etched into your experience unlike anything else, and only Thar can give you that. But if you're here solely for the looks, I would suggest waiting a year. For one, the looks will wear out. And second, you will find plenty in the used car market by then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mu009 View Post
Before I begin, you must understand that ride quality is a highly subjective thing.
This is exactly the thought I have in my mind whenever I go through an article or a thread about Thar. Everybody seems to be complaining. One needs to understand that not everyone is looking for an absolutely comfortable vehicle. For someone who spent half their lifetime in a Mahindra Jeep, Thar is a luxury. The high visibility and the confidence of having a 4x4 weigh much more than the additional plushness you're looking for. But if you're coming from an urban background and looking to zip through the highway lanes, India has plenty to offer but not Thar.
darwin is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 20th January 2021, 19:47   #1088
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by darwin View Post
But if you're coming from an urban background and looking to zip through the highway lanes, India has plenty to offer but not Thar.
Fully agree with this statement.

But I suppose this has always been the case with all "true 4x4s" - the one from Jeep, Land Rover, LC, Patrol, Trooper, Pajero et al and the owners of these were a partial to the common DNA of "off-roadability" in all these (yes including the Gypsy)

Its the "Jeep thing"

Best Regards & Drive Safe
r_nairtvm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2021, 21:33   #1089
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkochar View Post
Answers to your questions -

1 Yes
2 YES to all - taken the complete works
3 61k or so
4 IFFCO TOKIO

All done at dealer.
Please check Point 1. The IDV value for a new vehicle is always 95% of the Ex showroom vehicle. This is the norm from IRDA.
Old 21st January 2021, 12:58   #1090
Senior - BHPian

Hi Guys - 2 questions - Stupid they maybe but thought I'd give it a shot anyways -

1/ I was thinking of blacking out the rear side glasses and rear glass. Any objection with authority or would I be pulled over in Delhi. The front windscreen and side pasenger and driver windows will be clear. Reason I ask is that it is a 2 door and technically the rear really is just a luggage hauler in my opinion however am not sure if cops challan you or not. See below Picture for what I am thinking.

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-capture.jpg

2/ PUC on new car - Is this required or am I exempted for 1 year ? It is BS VI but not sure what is the norm on keeping PUC these days.

I would be heading out to small drives in the next few weeks and wanted to know if the above 2 don't qualify for any trouble.
Old 21st January 2021, 13:17   #1091
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I was thinking of blacking out the rear side glasses and rear glass
Technically, rear side glasses qualify as "window" and you might be pulled up for the same.

Quote:
PUC on new car
Not needed for a new car till 1 yr from the date of registration.
cool_dube is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2021, 15:22   #1092
BHPian

I have booked Diesel HT AT on Nov 12. My initial delivery date was 14 July. Today when I enquired with area sales manager, I got to know that my delivery date has been preponed to 02 March
The same has been confirmed by dealer too.
Also, the dealer has confirmed that price hike won't be applicable. This is a happy news for me.
I have asked the dealer to send me the required documents for applying loan.

Those who are bit disappointed with delayed promised dates, please check with Mahindra. Your dates might have preponed.

I believe this could be due to bulk cancellations and Mahindra ramping up the production capacity.
Old 21st January 2021, 18:24   #1093
Senior - BHPian

Mahindra Thar Removable Hard-Top In The Works?

Is the new Thar getting a convertible hard top? That's what this article from ZigWheels has to say.

Quoting from the article:

Quote:
At first glance, it looks similar to the standard hard-top variant but a closer look reveals the roof is split into three segments, rather than the two-piece unit found in the fixed hard-top variant. Even the mounts on the rear screen are different, indicating it could be a removable hard-top variant.
cool_dube is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st January 2021, 21:22   #1094
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar Removable Hard-Top In The Works?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Is the new Thar getting a convertible hard top?

Quoting from the article:
Now that will be a good option to have. Hope they can get it to the market soon.
Old 22nd January 2021, 11:49   #1095
BHPian

Thar spotted testing once again. Sans the Jeep type grill, the test mule looks pretty similar to the existing hard-top variant of the SUV. However, if you look closer you will notice that the roof is split into three segments in place of the two-piece unit found in the fixed hard-top variant.

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-mahindratharnewspyshots28d7b.jpg

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-mahindratharnewspyshots62b2.jpg

Pic courtesy: Rushlane

Last edited by ASP007 : 22nd January 2021 at 11:51.
ASP007 is offline   (13) Thanks

Most Viewed