Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th January 2021, 18:19   #1051
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjcruiser08 View Post
Do you mind disclosing the dealership name/location? Am told mine would be delivered on the 23rd (Sahyadri Motors, Baner) but I don't really have much confidence in anything they state/claim.
Sure, it’s Unnati Motors in Viman Nagar, Pune. So your vehicle will be billed or delivered on 23rd? I ask as the RTO process seems to be a 2-3 day affair. If 23rd is indeed the delivery date then your vehicle should be reaching the stockyard in next 1-2 days (if not already). Congratulations on your new Thar
Rajiv0909 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2021, 01:40   #1052
BHPian

I was supposed to get my Thar Diesel AT CT this January but when I checked at the dealership today and I was informed that there has indeed been some hiccup with the production because of delay in receiving some 'pump' (no idea which pump) from Czech Republic. When I asked for more details I was informed that they don't have any further information and that I should now expect my car in February.
Old 17th January 2021, 08:17   #1053
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker View Post

3. Some people are getting deliveries of petrol, automatic, hardtop within 100 days of booking. Some are not getting even diesel manual within 100 days of booking.
Sir its fairly simple and straightforward loosen up the purse strings and you can take a Thar home in 7 days, 2 friends in my biking group have picked up a diesel manual and a petrol auto within 10 days, by paying over an above the sticker price. Dealers are making a killing. One can't actually blame Mahindra, Hyundai is doing the same with the Creta, I was also given a similar option by my dealer to expedite the delivery of my petrol Thar but I chose to cancel the booking and wait an year, am Happy I did as I hear that they are coming out with a better tuned petrol m Stallion soon .

Last edited by Sheel : 17th January 2021 at 08:49. Reason: Please capitalize where necessary. Cars / manufacturer names *i* [self]. Please proof read before submitting.
Born 2 Be Wild is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th January 2021, 12:08   #1054
BHPian

Here is a video of tug of war between the Thar and fortunner

@mods please move this post to Bad Drivers thread if you think this has to be posted there.
saisree is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2021, 12:51   #1055
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saisree View Post
Here is a video of tug of war between the Thar and fortunner
https://Youtu.be/Fzqh-OgiLyE
Though this is an arecanut vs coconut comparison, it would have been more neutral if it were between Thar 4x4 AT vs Fortuner 4x4 AT. Because same Aisin gearbox in both vehicles.
Sankar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th January 2021, 19:40   #1056
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajiv0909 View Post
Congratulations on your new Thar
Thanks! Jan 23rd is actually the Customer Promise Date (CPD) that has been communicated to me since November (I booked on Oct 3rd, at the showroom, and the order was keyed in the same day). I was also told that the vehicle will be billed (whatever that means) a week or two ahead of the CPD and that I will be provided the details as and when it happens.

I spoke with the dealership yesterday and they said they shall know more by Monday evening (that is Jan 18th) and will apprise me by Tuesday. It seems to me these guys have no clue. As such, I have no clue either as in what to expect.

I did in the meanwhile spoke with PolicyBazar and they are trying to sell me an insurance bundle (1 year first party and 3 year third party coverage with zero dep) for INR67K (underwritten by HDFC I believe). Not sure if that's the right price or on the higher side.
Old 17th January 2021, 20:02   #1057
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I did in the meanwhile spoke with PolicyBazar and they are trying to sell me an insurance bundle (1 year first party and 3 year third party coverage with zero dep) for INR67K (underwritten by HDFC I believe). Not sure if that's the right price or on the higher side.
It is high. It should be in the range of 50-55K. Let us know the final deal you got.
Pancham is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2021, 20:18   #1058
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
It is high. It should be in the range of 50-55K. Let us know the final deal you got.
Thanks for the feedback! I still havent signed up for any, was just doing some homework so I can walk into the dealership armed with some info/numbers. If the dealer is willing to match/beat the price, I'd much rather buy it from them.

I shall post here what the final deal turns out to be.
fjcruiser08 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2021, 21:02   #1059
Senior - BHPian

fjcruiser -

I hope I can lean on your research for the insurance.

My CPD is 22nd Jan. Spoke with the folks at dealership and they have no clue. All they say is they shall get back to me if they get any information. Texts to the ASM at M&M were unanswered.

I’m hoping it should arrive no later than the end of this month. Lets see.
Old 17th January 2021, 22:26   #1060
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
fjcruiser -

I hope I can lean on your research for the insurance.
That would be the blind leading the blind
Seriously though, am a total noob and what little I have learnt is from reading here on this forum from the experienced folk. But we can post here and exchange notes as in what quotes/offers are up for the taking.

Am planning on calling the dealership again tomorrow, maybe towards the end of the day just to check if they have any updates. But like you said, am not really counting on the Jan 23rd date; am just hoping they sort this out before end of month. Also am hoping we get the 2021 manufactured vehicles instead of from the tail end '20 batch.

And off topic but here's a roof rack posted on youtube today (am adding it here to avoid creating another post):

Last edited by fjcruiser08 : 17th January 2021 at 22:29. Reason: added the link to a roof rack
fjcruiser08 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th January 2021, 04:27   #1061
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Though this is an arecanut vs coconut comparison, it would have been more neutral if it were between Thar 4x4 AT vs Fortuner 4x4 AT. Because same Aisin gearbox in both vehicles.
Even still, it is impressive that a smaller engine in a lower state of tune (130 hp/300 NM) on the Mahindra is very close to a larger engine with much more power and torque on paper (170ps/420 NM). The maximum towing capacity of the 2020 fortuner is rated at 2800 kgs, while the Thar is not officially rated as far as I can see from the brochures.
Old 18th January 2021, 05:43   #1062
BHPian

Quote:
And off topic but here's a roof rack posted on Youtube today (am adding it here to avoid creating another post):
https://Youtu.be/rtugsf_obG4
Neat roof rack, even the HT seems to be from them, brake light above the spare wheel like wrangler.
Thanks for sharing.
Vinod_nair is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2021, 13:43   #1063
BHPian

Guys, have come across a road block. Yesterday, I took my wife along for a test drive of the new Thar and it did not go well as far as wife's approval of the car is concerned. She felt too many vibrations and lateral movements and felt that this would not be comfortable as she gets motion sickness too. I currently drive a Baleno and a Duster and although I prepared her before the test drive that it is not going to be a smooth ride as the duster's but frankly speaking, did not expect such lateral movements and jumpiness even on a flat tarmac.
My question now is, would there in the future be available some mods to make the ride more plush. I mean some modifications to the suspension etc. I am prepared to be called a wannabe 'Jeep' owner, but I will admit it blatantly that I am interested in buying the Thar just for it's looks and the option of a convertible car under 16 big green ones. I do not intend to take it off roading, so any modification possible with putting on some normal terrain tyres which would make the ride more plush?
Please help. Do not wanna cancel my booking
Old 18th January 2021, 14:52   #1064

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker View Post
guys a couple of questions:

1. What is a reasonable waiting period for the thar. Booking date Oct 3rd week.

2. Is the plant shut down for two weeks from Jan 1 - Jan 14 ?? If so, then how are vehicle deliveries happening as is getting posted in this thread.

3. Some people are getting deliveries of petrol, automatic, hardtop within 100 days of booking. Some are not getting even diesel manual within 100 days of booking.

4. Does Mahindra invariably give 2 weeks notice to customer before a thar is manufactured and shipped/dispatched from plant.

5. Why are different regions being treated differently in allotment of vehicles. Some regions get preference or is it nearness to manufacturing base.
I will try to provide answers based on the experience of the delivery of my Petrol A/T CT in axactly 3 months time after I booked it in the afternoon of Oct 2nd.

Answer to Q1: If it's a Diesel CT, you should have got the delivery by now. If it's a Diesel HT or Petrol CT, you may get it anytime now. If it's Petrol HT, it may take a few weeks more.

Answer to Q2: The plant shutdown I am told was for 2 weeks starting 25th December. However the blackout in deliveries will be a week following that because of a week to 10 days to delivery after the vehicle leaves the plant.

Answer to Q3: Some people are definitely getting the Vehicles earlier than the usual waiting period. In my opinion, these are against the bookings that have been cancelled for a matching colour and Variant. For the cancelled bookings, I feel the dealer may have a play to allot it as per his wishes.

Answer to Q4: The notice will be not be coming from Mahindra but from your sales agent. The sales agent always has a tentative date for the CPD (Customer promised date), which typically can fluctuate up to 2 weeks either way. For my Petrol Automatic delivery it was delayed by 2 weeks from the original CPD.

Answer to Q5: I don't have an answer to that but surely it's not based on the proximity to the Nasik plant. Bangalore Petrol CT deliveries started 2 weeks after for example than in places like Patna and Assam.

Hope this helps and wish you get your toy soon.
Old 18th January 2021, 21:56   #1065
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by isldhn View Post
Guys, have come across a road block. Yesterday, I took my wife along for a test drive of the new Thar and it did not go well as far as wife's approval of the car is concerned. She felt too many vibrations and lateral movements and felt that this would not be comfortable as she gets motion sickness too. I currently drive a Baleno and a Duster and although I prepared her before the test drive that it is not going to be a smooth ride as the duster's but frankly speaking, did not expect such lateral movements and jumpiness even on a flat tarmac.
My question now is, would there in the future be available some mods to make the ride more plush. I mean some modifications to the suspension etc. I am prepared to be called a wannabe 'Jeep' owner, but I will admit it blatantly that I am interested in buying the Thar just for it's looks and the option of a convertible car under 16 big green ones. I do not intend to take it off roading, so any modification possible with putting on some normal terrain tyres which would make the ride more plush?
Please help. Do not wanna cancel my booking
Will you be replacing the Duster or Baleno with the Thar? If not, then problem solved - be clear that it is your toy.

A tall ladder-frame will have lateral movements - but I'm sure there will be suspension mods (especially for the soft front struts) that will make the ride tad stiffer to ensure the movements are not as much as what they are now - maybe even adaptable damping.

Also, did you check the tyre's air pressure? Could it be that the TD car had more than the 32 PSI recommended?

Finally, do what I did for the family's buy-in - let them enjoy the open top jeep up the hills or on a beach, and they will be sold (check my ownership thread ).
ph03n!x is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks