Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th January 2021, 00:38   #946
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar : Official Review

New Mahindra thar bonnet clip breaks at 100 kmph.
I'm not sure about the authenticity but If it is really true, this is a serious concern.

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-fb_img_1609873221948.jpg

Source
UP!!!! is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 6th January 2021, 05:29   #947
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by UP!!!! View Post
I'm not sure about the authenticity but If it is really true, this is a serious concern.

Attachment 2103306

Source
Now this seems like a repeat of the incident below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VRJ View Post
A sad update from my good friend’s friend, who was one of the lucky few to get delivery in November. He was super stoked about the Thar, but his excitement was short lived. He lives in Hyderabad and he was driving along on the highway around 70-100kmph when this happened:
Both the Thar seem to have similar damage.

This happening at 100 kmph speeds is not acceptable at all. I will rethink my booking until Mahindra comes with a proper explanation. Images sourced from Team-BHP posts in the below links
  1. https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...ml#post4955411 (Mahindra Thar : Official Review)
  2. https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...ml#post4970753 (Mahindra Thar : Official Review)
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-thar-damage.jpg  

indian21r is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 6th January 2021, 06:37   #948
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
When he says ‘Express Delivery’

M&M - please shut down the whole VIP express treatment process. Communicate a bit more with your customers who are waiting. Your ASM’s are invisible. They are MIA.
And the bloke has the audicity to #Express #Delivery, in his tweet.

M&M better #Rise, before you are raised to the ground.
Old 6th January 2021, 07:42   #949
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by indian21r View Post
Now this seems like a repeat of the incident below.

Both the Thar seem to have similar damage.

This happening at 100 kmph speeds is not acceptable at all. I will rethink my booking until Mahindra comes with a proper explanation. Images sourced from Team-BHP posts in the below links
  1. https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...ml#post4955411 (Mahindra Thar : Official Review)
  2. https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...ml#post4970753 (Mahindra Thar : Official Review)
No both the incidents are different. See the Front Fender,one is with the accessory studs or whatever it's called and one is without it.
Never the less it's scary to have your bonnet open up and blinding you at any speeds.
Old 6th January 2021, 09:18   #950

No both the incidents are different.

Yes one seems to be Hyderabad based vehicle as mentioned by @VRJ and this one obviously is Maharashtra registered.
Old 6th January 2021, 12:06   #951
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by UP!!!! View Post

Attachment 2103306

Source
Now this is serious issue. I am wondering what is happening here, as clearly there are 2 locks to hold the bonnet, one internally openable lock that would be latching the bonnet from inside and then the 2 clips that are on the outside. My understanding is that either the internal lock was not locked and the external clips could not take the load or the internal lock itself failed.

If its the former, there should be some warning for the driver, which unfortunately is not wired to save cost by Mahindra. If it's latter, this is serious quality issue.

Either case, Mahindra needs to get its act together as this is concerning even if it's just 2 vehicles.

Wonder if people will have to resort to old age clips like old Thar now. Comeon Mahindra, bonnet lock is not the most complex thing to make, why can't you get it right.
justwheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2021, 13:26   #952
BHPian

Man I really hope these problems are being brought to M&M's attention and something is being done about it. Would be great if the members taking delivery in the near future speak to the dealers and confirm if some improvements have been made.
Old 6th January 2021, 14:01   #953
Team-BHP Support

To be fair both these can't happen without someone tampering with the lock and latch. To have a dual step bonnet lock unlock on its own and then the clips opening up is definitely human act. Maybe they can add a bonnet open warning light to the door ajar display on MID.
Jaggu is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 6th January 2021, 14:06   #954
Senior - BHPian

Has Mahindra become over confident with the amount of bookings they have got for New Thar?

This is the question that is coming to my mind when one hear about the procrastination excuses that Mahindra Dealers across the country have been coming up for delays in committing delivery dates, even for people who had done the very 1st day the bookings opened - specially for the Petrol variant.

Latest is this

https://www.converge.com/resources/n...-factory-fire/

Claims that infotainment systems of New Thar is impacted by this and so one should expect delays

I hope Mr. Anand Mahindra and Team would realize that while there is a fan following for the New Thar, the patience of the group who booked may not be infinite to wait infinitely for the New Thar

With the news of a similar 4x4 Vehicle from the Jeep family shifting assembly to India immediately (read it as significant reduction in prices) MM only will have themselves to blame if the potential customers decide to move to the "original" brand

I hope MM pays enough attention to address this

Best Regards & Drive Safe
r_nairtvm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th January 2021, 16:29   #955
BHPian

I am wondering even if both the latches are unlocked, wouldn't the bonnet be heavy. Is the design so aerodynamic that lift is happening when speeds of around 100kpmh are touched. If this is the case adding a safety system and alerts even at 30kmph should help.

Hope Mahindra clarifies this so that all of us can be at ease.

Also sad to see that with such a long waitlist, people are jumping the queue. And flaunting it is taunting the people who waited patiently. Guess this has become the norm in India
Old 6th January 2021, 19:02   #956

Took ownership of the new Thar and noticed something interesting. There is a provision on the light stalks for rear fog lamps, and a tell tale symbol that lights up on the cluster. But no bulbs in the fog lamp assembley that actually light up. Very weird omission that should be addressed by Mahindra.
iamjoelj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th January 2021, 19:31   #957
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamjoelj View Post
Took ownership of the new Thar and noticed something interesting. There is a provision on the light stalks for rear fog lamps, and a tell tale symbol that lights up on the cluster. But no bulbs in the fog lamp assembley that actually light up. Very weird omission that should be addressed by Mahindra.
All these glaring omissions and few other features will come sparkling in the facelifted THAR v2.0 next year. This will be relatively niggle free too, after working on the feedback of all present owners LOL
No offence to all the proud owners
Venku2015 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2021, 20:27   #958
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
To be fair both these can't happen without someone tampering with the lock and latch. To have a dual step bonnet lock unlock on its own and then the clips opening up is definitely human act. Maybe they can add a bonnet open warning light to the door ajar display on MID.
I agree to this - unless someone did not close the bonnet properly, or managed to find the not-so-easy-to-unknowingly-open latch in the driver's side and left the latch open too (or closed improperly) this is not an easy possibility. I have driven about 4200 KM in my Thar so far, and quite a few of those clicks were on highway speeds ranging from 100 KMPH to 120+ at times too.

But yes, M&M should ideally have a hood not closed properly indicator (or at least tie it to the door open warning). This is more of a caution - now that the Thar has gone mainstream, there will be folks who are used to having a 2-step lock for their bonnets, may realize otherwise the sad way like these two cases.
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamjoelj View Post
Congrats on the new buy, wishing you many happy miles! What colour/ top/ gearbox?
The rear fogs are actually the same integrated tail lamps - the red (stop) light glows continuously when you turn on the fogs. I too realized this much later
Quote:
Originally Posted by indian21r View Post
I am wondering even if both the latches are unlocked, wouldn't the bonnet be heavy. Is the design so aerodynamic that lift is happening when speeds of around 100kpmh are touched.
It is heavy, yes. But at 100 KMPH+ speeds the volume of air that the vehicle will be pushing is pretty huge, especially for this jeep's non-aerodynamic design. There will be air getting into the engine bay from the from vents and underbody and pushing the hood upwards - and this is not something unique for the Thar either. There was an incident where a Maruti 800 that a friend and I were travelling at city speeds had the bonnet lock's holding bolts break, and hood promptly opened on our faces - at this is at less than 50 KMPH!

Last edited by ph03n!x : 6th January 2021 at 20:33.
ph03n!x is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th January 2021, 02:19   #959
BHPian

It seems that the bonnet opening issue is getting more and more common.

Peaky_blinder is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 7th January 2021, 04:39   #960
Team-BHP Support

I am still awaiting my refund despite regular followup via Tweets to Mahindra. They replied once, asked for details on DM and gone silent.

What are the options? Should I start a new thread? Are there more members like me? Honestly, a company sitting with thousands of booking and not making refunds for small booking amounts, just not fair and expected. Mahindra has taken the advance via card, how difficult is for them to simply deduct cancellation charges and credit back to the card?

Last edited by Turbanator : 7th January 2021 at 04:50.
Turbanator is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks