Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th December 2020, 16:25   #856
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by 666arj View Post
Greeting everyone ,
I got my AT Hardtop Petrol delivered to me last Friday.
Here are my take-aways-

=================

I will write a detailed post with everything I've noted if needed, plus a comparison with the Isuzu Dmax.
Hey 666arj!

Could you share your experience thus far as I presume that you're the only member with the petrol AT thar. It would be immensely informative for others and me who have booked the thar in the petrol guise.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 27th December 2020 at 19:20. Reason: trimmed quoted post
Old 27th December 2020, 18:43   #857
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by 666arj View Post
Greeting everyone ,
I got my AT Hardtop Petrol delivered to me last Friday.
Here are my take-aways-

1. This jeep replaces my 2016 Isuzu Dmax, which hit 1lakh KM this year under me. It served me well, I love that truck.
Hey. Look forward to your comparison with the D Max in particular. I am in the market for a second vehicle sometime in the next 18 months. And am principally thinking on the lines of Thar (D-AT); Creta (D-AT); Harrier (D-AT); new XUV 5OO (D-AT). I know this is a varied range and not directly comparable at all but it means I am willing to go in slightly different directions of what I would want from my second vehicle.

I know you have not owner the V Cross automatic and have picked the petrol Thar but am really curious of your experience of owning an Isuzu vs the Thar and the relative pros / cons of owning these two very different body styles. For example the experience of driving the Thar vs V Cross on longer drives etc.

Thanks in advance.
Old 27th December 2020, 19:05   #858
Senior - BHPian

Just back from a small weekend getaway and right till the end I was contemplating on taking the innova as was not sure our luggage would fit in the thar as I kept both cars ready and filled and cleaned. And thought I would take the Innova if the luggage would not fit in the thar.

So the next morning to my absolute utter surprise we fit three duffel bags and another large bag with tidbits. And mind you this was with the seats reclined quite a bit. We were four by the way. Two adults and two kids aged 12 & 7.

So my advise to all of you with luggage capability doubts be assured. Duffel bags no problem. Suitcases big problem. So if you are buying the thar now would be a good time to go online and get duffel bags !

So my trip was agra - jaipur - agra. A total of 600 kms or so.

The thar is fantastic and it performed way way over my expected expectations. I had doubts and was ready for some disappointments but there were none.

I will pen down a review on the drive ability and other bits later this week ( including one surprise niggle ) when I get time as I just got back.

But here is a picture of the thar stuffed with more luggage than what we took as this was this morning when checking out from our hotel.

Hope this will help !

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-563a3cfeaa8e4a399c4ba8ac4760efe0.jpeg

Last edited by vkochar : 27th December 2020 at 19:08.
vkochar is offline   (29) Thanks
Old 27th December 2020, 19:12   #859
BHPian

Hello BHPians. I received my diesel automatic hardtop Black Hawk on 15th December. OTR: 16 Lakhs INR. PDI lasted 4 hours which also included high pressure hardtop wash to check if any leakages. Accessories taken: Mud-flaps, rear camera and seat covers.

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img_1437.jpg

Completed total of 989 kms. Going for first service tomorrow.

Observations:
1) 90-100 kmph great cruising speed. 70 kmph max while cornering.

2) Tank to Tank FE: Highway: 13.7 kmpl. City: 11.4 kmpl.

3) Bluetooth self disconnected once. Radio too had hiccups at times.

4) Couple of squeaks/ rattles here and there. Considering it as a jeep thing, turned up the speaker volume.

5) Cabin noise very evident at 120+kmph.

6) Dead pedal is sorely missed. Manual counterpart would be a nightmare for many and the automatic for 6+ footers as footwell is poorly designed and cramped.

7) TPMS sensor lit up right after filling air in tyres. Stayed for kind of 15 seconds and never came back. I knew all was well.

8) Long term reliability of side step is doubtful so will get metal ones sooner or later.

9) Can be used as a daily drive with no issues except very tight lanes/ spaces.

10) Do not get the rear view camera from Mahindra as its very low quality.

11) Brakes are strictly ok.

12) Couple of cabin bags and some other soft luggage (duffle bags) would fit in the boot. Good enough for 4/5 days trip.

So to summarise all good till now. Mods planned after 1st year are: Grill, bumper, metal sidesteps and fatter tyres.

Last edited by SportsMedicine : 27th December 2020 at 19:15. Reason: Forgot to mention about boot space.
SportsMedicine is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 27th December 2020, 19:32   #860
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
Would appreciate some real life impressions from owners who have taken delivery and tried some highway travels.
Congrats on the D-day! I have driven 3,100 KM (Coimbatore to Madras and back, Coimbatore to Kanyakumari and back, and right now in Madras again, returning in a day or two).

I have written some observations in my ownership review (look up Taste of Freedom in the Test Drives and Initial Ownerships forum) but in short, you can cruise at 100 KMPH in these roads - mine is a convertible top, so there will be a lot of flapping noises but hard top wouldn't have that "feature" . That said, I'll suggest you to drive at speeds only after you've gotten to understand the driving dynamics of the Thar better, especially the body roll and how it'd pull left over continuous undulations (like over the 3 or more small rumblers in rows).

Right now, I'm comfortable with speeds a bit over 120 KMPH, but in bursts. Be warned, mileage nose-dives at anything more than 80 - 90KMPH.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkochar View Post
So my trip was agra - jaipur - agra. A total of 600 kms or so.
I will pen down a review on the drive ability and other bits later this week ( including one surprise niggle ) when I get time as I just got back.
Did you deal with bug-splattered windshield too? Or do you have the bug-deflector accessory?

And pray tell us, what was the niggle?!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsMedicine View Post
Hello BHPians. I received my diesel automatic hardtop Black Hawk on 15th December. OTR: 16 Lakhs INR.
7) TPMS sensor lit up right after filling air in tyres. Stayed for kind of 15 seconds and never came back. I knew all was well.
Congratulations!!

The TPMS warning is normal - happened the first time for me too, the tyre pressure was too high (I think 35 PSI, cold) and when it got corrected to 32 psi, I got the warning implying there was a sudden drop in pressure (which is correct), and it went off later.
ph03n!x is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th December 2020, 19:55   #861
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
Jaggu’s post has left me in a bit of a conundrum. ==== However, these places are hundreds of Kilometers from Chennai. If I can’t get there fast and in reasonable comfort, that would be a bummer. Who wants to arrive at a remote base tired and stressed out due to a slow and risky drive on the highway getting there?
If you are expecting ecosport level comfort, sorry buddy no matter what any owner says, it won't! @ph03n!x has given a very accurate picture of what to expect ^^, keep your expectations in place and you are set but if you are a person who zip from A to B on highway, this may not be the vehicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Arun View Post
Would really like to know your take on the petrol thar. Would it fare better on the highways in comparison to the diesel one ?
I have only driven Diesel manual version, original request for Petrol AT test drive with Mahindra is still pending. If that happens I would be able to comment.

Quote:
.So my advise to all of you with luggage capability doubts be assured. Duffel bags no problem. Suitcases big problem. So if you are buying the thar now would be a good time to go online and get duffel bags !
Yes this is the perfect way OR like bikers get those dry bags, they take a whole lot of stuff are relatively tough and easy to be accommodated in such tight space. Another option to look at is some Thule kind of box for the top, hopefully some aftermarket guys would bring it out, how much weight the top can carry I am not sure though.

Last edited by Jaggu : 27th December 2020 at 19:59.
Jaggu is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 27th December 2020, 21:32   #862
Senior - BHPian

Looks like the Mahindra accessories team spent some holiday time -

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img_20201227_212555_915.jpg
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img_20201227_212551_016.jpgMahindra Thar : Official Review-img_20201227_212546_739.jpg
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img_20201227_212537_203.jpg

These are priced at about Rs. 3,200 and ain't in stock mostly - these are canvas covers. But then, I'm not a fan - I like the bare look. And while some accessories are priced right, I think this is one is those (along with body cladding) to be priced on the higher side!
ph03n!x is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 27th December 2020, 23:11   #863
Senior - BHPian

I like the bare looks as well.

It is nice to be reading details of the Thar’s that have done thousands of KM’s by folks here. A bit of reassurance while I wait in for mine.

Hopefully I should get my hands on the Thar in 3-4 more weeks.
jkrishnakj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th December 2020, 01:16   #864
BHPian

The spare tyre in itself looks butch. Will exposing the same to the elements cause the rubber to crack or harden? If so, does the spare wheel cover become an essential accessory?

Additionally as per the recent thar owners, the reverse camera seems to be mediocre. Could someone please suggest a better after market alternate for the same?
Capt.Arun is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th December 2020, 10:40   #865
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
Did you deal with bug-splattered windshield too? Or do you have the bug-deflector accessory?

And pray tell us, what was the niggle?!!
Yes the windshield was an absolute mess ! I do not have any deflector.

Niggles - there were 2 and the cause was the same. I did rectify in a minute.

I will keep it simple. I went over a large speed breaker which could not be seen as it was not marked and was pretty big . the kind you can glide over easily but due to my speed around 60 I braked pretty last minute resulting in the car taking a small jump. Nothing shocking but the car would have probably lifted in the air for half a second for a few cm's and landed pretty smoothly. I apologized to my passengers and they were fine. The thar is supposed to be a off roader.

Anyways about a few minutes later glanced at the instrument cluster and saw something strange - I saw three lights light up which should not have - they were from my guess -

1/ The Cruise Control Indicator
2/ The Hill Descent Indicator
3/ The Traction Control Indicator.

I then pressed the cruise control switches and nothing happened and I thought to myself oh dear dear !

I stopped where I could and turned off the car and restarted it and all was good then. The lights dissappeared and everything was working then.

A few km's into the journey I saw on the front cars reflection that only one DRL was running and I thought it was probably the suns reflection that was causing only one DRL to be noticed. I toggled my headlights and the fog lamps and I could see both and I thought why in the world am I getting these two problems. And then I remembered the Car Info has the DRL on / off feature so while driving I turned it off and back on again and voila both the DRL's were working.

So my small drive of 20 minutes had a small drama and I resolved it.

Welcome to Mahindra and its lovely electronics.

Anyways a bit of light from the experts here would be helpful.

I drove home all day yesterday and there was no problem at all with any of these things. Car runs smooth and fantastic. And everything works.

And I am in no way bashing the Thar but we all know there will be small niggles and this is only to help other members resolve if they face the same.

Here are a few pictures from My trip. We had a Mercedes GLE also with us and I have to be honest it was tough to keep pace with it on empty stretches of the road but comes a crowded area I would blare the horn and all traffic would run for the side and clear way.

Still turns heads like crazy !!

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img_3629.jpg

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img_3586.jpg

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img_3583.jpg

Last edited by vkochar : 28th December 2020 at 10:46.
vkochar is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 28th December 2020, 10:57   #866
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Finally put some km on the Thar MT:
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20201226-11.47.20.jpg

Beautiful Bombay. On weekends, the city is a different (relaxed) animal. None of the fast-paced lifestyle & hectic pace as on weekdays. Beautiful weather, so drove with the windows down & hip-hop blaring!
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20201226-11.45.28.jpg

Gearshift slots well, but has long throws - typical of Mahindra body on frame UVs:
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20201226-11.05.48.jpg

Clutch has medium level weight:
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20201226-11.05.16.jpg

- MT is good too, although I will be getting the AT only. That will also be my recommendation to all.

- Floor & console area to the left of the clutch become warm in the city, and get mildly hot on long drives. Mahindra needs to fix this.

- This Jeep has character, man. Feels real bad-ass. I want to buy one TODAY! This is totally my kind of car. A different kind of driving pleasure.

- Beautiful diesel engine. Love Mahindra's big diesels. The refinement, power & driveability are top class.

- Someone had asked earlier about a cheaper 4x2 Thar? Nope, Mahindra can't give a 4x2 because it will dilute the "Thar" brand. Also, slimmer profits & lower average transaction price.
GTO is offline   (29) Thanks
Old 28th December 2020, 12:29   #867
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

- Beautiful diesel engine. Love Mahindra's big diesels. The refinement, power & driveability are top class.
Did you drive in higher gears and at speeds over 100, how did it accelerate? I found it pretty pathetic for a 2.2 Crde engine. I think this has to do with the BS6 tune plus the tall ratios for 5th and 6th gear. With four people on board, it was slow as a snail to pick up speeds at those speeds. Where it shines is the lower speeds accelerating from 0 to 100 through the gears. Just keep changing gears and it goes wooosh...

Meanwhile, I saw some video of Thar climbing some offroad obstacle in Coorg at a weekend event, man the mechanical rear lock plus front brake assist ones seems to have given it spiderman skills. Should definitely try it offroad where it really shines through.
Jaggu is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 28th December 2020, 14:17   #868
BHPian

Quote:

But here is a picture of the thar stuffed with more luggage than what we took as this was this morning when checking out from our hotel.

Hope this will help !

Attachment 2098118
This picture says it all. It is possible! And yes when me and my wife looked at the boot during TD, we clearly agreed, we might need to change how we pack (meaning from trolleys to duffle bags).

Thanks for sharing your experiences, they are key for peace of mind for my ownership that will start only in March 2021.

And for those who want to carry more luggage, bimbra has launched the roof rack already. Below is a screenshot from their instagram handle.

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-screenshot_20201228124244_instagram.jpg

justwheels is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 28th December 2020, 14:33   #869
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post

Meanwhile, I saw some video of Thar climbing some offroad obstacle in Coorg at a weekend event, man the mechanical rear lock plus front brake assist ones seems to have given it spiderman skills. Should definitely try it offroad where it really shines through.
Please share the video here. Would be interesting to see this. As slush, mud and loose surface is all that I feel I would encounter whenever I get mine and plan to explore a bit.
Old 28th December 2020, 14:44   #870
Team-BHP Support

Guy's, How’s the experience of soft top? Getting a petrol auto but in soft top and as per Dealership, we can’t fit OEM hard top later.

Last edited by Turbanator : 28th December 2020 at 15:09.
Turbanator is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks