Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th December 2020, 16:07   #736
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar : Official Review

Saw this picture on Instagram and I feel someone finally got the tyres right!

I have been checking up with tyre dealers and none of them seem to have any 33' tyres in stock. Some have 35s and claim to have installed them on the new Thar(apparently without needing a lift) but I reckon that those would entail changing the gear ratios and would require a support stand for the spare which would be a hassle.

Is anyone else facing similar issues and can someone shed light on the maximum possible tire upsize for the Thar with higher profile tyres?
Attached Images

Peaky_blinder is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th December 2020, 16:36   #737
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
Mahindra Thar to Thar second part from Evo India. Talks about on road comfort and ride quality

The Evo review is so biased! There is hardly even one negative comments among the hundreds of positives he keeps mouthing. His comments on "cruise at high triple digit speeds comfortably" is obviously incorrect, based on what we have seen in the Team BHP review and many other reviews out there as well as ownership experience posted by BHP-ian and Thar-owner Phoenix. It might be possible on an ideal highway that does not exist yet, but we know this is not possible in 99% of Indian roads, as it would be dangerous to do such speeds on the Thar on roads with even the mildest undulations. Another comment I found funny - "the steering is so light, you can control it with your fingers" - that is a lot of lipstick over saying it is too light and and has a lot of play leading to a need to be ultra careful with direction changes at speed.

I believe the Thar been booked by a lot of first time car buyers. I worry that such irresponsible reviews will cause these folks to drive the car in ways that are not safe. With no experience on how to drive a body-on-frame, high riding, short-wheelbase SUV like the Thar and influenced by such crazy reviews, they do things that cause avoidable accidents.

Last edited by 84.monsoon : 13th December 2020 at 16:42.
84.monsoon is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 13th December 2020, 18:34   #738
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
The Evo review is so biased! There is hardly even one negative comments among the hundreds of positives he keeps mouthing.
You may not be seeing this review in the right context, what I felt watching the video is that the reviewer's comparison is with reference to the Old Thar. He obviously is focussing excessively on the positives of the vehicle, and just passingly mentions the negatives. Except for the "high triple digit speeds" part (where he might have been trying say low triple digits, or maybe not!) the rest is correct with reference to the old Thar.

Just my views, no other intentions.
pariyadav is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th December 2020, 18:47   #739
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyPunia View Post
Took the diesel AT for a 950km trip to Narkanda (8500 feet) : this picture you see here was shot yesterday morning.
More details soon
Looks like a convertible top! Would be good to know how it fared in snowy conditions.
Old 13th December 2020, 18:55   #740
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Looks like a convertible top! Would be good to know how it fared in snowy conditions.
Yes that video is coming up soon. But I'm afraid if I share it here, one of the moderators will remove it saying I'm promoting my channel :-(
BunnyPunia is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th December 2020, 18:56   #741
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
. It might be possible on an ideal highway that does not exist yet, but we know this is not possible in 99% of Indian roads, as it would be dangerous to do such speeds on the Thar on roads with even the mildest undulations.
Agree that content creators are clueless about automobiles in general , also agree that tall heavy vehicles needs to be handled with care, need to re-learn some driving as well. However reliable sources including TBHP and my Wife says that 2020 Thar's dynamics are far better than CRDe.

Those who have a relatively stock CRDe will know that it can do triple digit speeds all day as long as the passengers can handle the canopy noise , it rides and handles very well for a Jeep as well, double lane changes and what not - no problem at all. Considering the Scorpio's gen3 platform Thar 2020 will no doubt be a good highway machine, worry not.
Kosfactor is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 13th December 2020, 20:56   #742

Yes the EVO guy was definitely overexcited. So I took my diesel ATLX18 on both bad roads and good roads today with my wife. I would highly advise first time SUV buyers to not get overenthusiastic and TD this vehicle atleast two times to understand its rythm fully. I too have no prior experience with old Thar but I have owned plenty of 4x4 Suvs. And for me today was a superb day to ride and make a rapport with new machine that I had always dreamt of owning.

The new Thar suspension system is soft. It had a good amount of wobble on city roads which has a lot of broken patches/railway crossings/bumpers. The seat support is excellent for short drivers only. But as soon we hit proper highway the cabin was silent. The ride smooth like riding in a posh suv. I did 90kmph and it was effortless. A little wind noise crept heard above 90. 20pc More than what you'd hear on other suvs. The tyres did feel a bit too balloony/cushiony on connecting roads which made just a little nervous. It surely needs getting used to. The road manner and grip are 10/10.

Gearshifting was again a breeze. No pauses/delays while overtaking trucks etc. My innova makes a grunt. This doesnt. Butter smooth exp. Brakes are soft and progressive not spongy. My initial experience remains unchanged.
There was no movement on the steering at any point of time (I guess those Youtube specimens were quite abused/needed alignment etc)
The acceleration is brilliant like a car but with the steering of old jeeps. I discourage young riders expecting robotic feedback with it to do brave speedy zigzagging/turns.
The speakers are above average and handle mids well. Too much bass and they might crack open. Also the placement is weird but doable.

So I am finally sure that I can easily do big highway numbers on this thing without getting smacked by wifey. For this price yes I do notice a bit of cost cutting on the fittings but there are no squeaks and rattling even when thrashed around. The roof hasnt leaked since sealing. And best thing about this LX variant is the width is superb for city maneuvres. Only thing this needs now is a rear front camera setup and very desperately so. All the best guys.
gobarboss is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 14th December 2020, 18:15   #743
BHPian

Finally saw a Rockey Beige thar in-person today. Looked stunning!!
Slipstream11 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2020, 18:46   #744
Senior - BHPian

Got the HSRP today after driving nearly 24 days without a number.

Also the area where I park my leg while driving where there should be a dead pedal. I observed that area to be slightly warm ( note not hot - just slight warm ). Have noticed this since Day 1 and today called a mechanic from the dealership to show him and he opened the hood and we found nothing.

Also the temperature gauge never shows beyond the 50% mark.

I have not taken it outside the city for a very long time due tot he protests and the number plate not there. The driving has been absolutely bumper to bumper traffic literally stop and go for 2-3 hours a day.

I do not turn the AC on due to the dropping temperatures.

And no matting or any sort. Just stock as the required mats have not yet come and are 2-3 weeks away.

Anyways just an observation and thought I'd share it here. Would love to hear observations from other Thar owners.

The HU turned itself off once during normal driving but it rebooted and came back in about 30 seconds.

These are about the 2 minor concerns I have had so far.

Here are the pictures after getting the plates. Still turns heads everywhere I go.

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20201214-16.14.13-1.jpeg

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20201214-16.14.13.jpeg
vkochar is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 14th December 2020, 18:52   #745
Team-BHP Support

Question for anyone who's spent some time with the Thar, preferably owners, but anyone who’s sure really:

Given the luggage space constraints, I was wondering if anyone has put heavy luggage / suitcases by folding down one or both rear seats. Does it work. I am asking in particular because the seat seems to be hollow at the black covered by a basic cloth so am wondering if it will need some aftermarket internal bolstering to be able to take the weight of the luggage once placed on top of the folded seat. The cloth should not tear or something.

Separately but on a related note, has anyone seen sophisticated looking roof carriers yet for the Thar in the aftermarket (for the hard top version)? Although personally I’m not a fan of roof carriers since (a) its already a tall car and (b) at some level it still means you have to keep an eye on the car for luggage safety. A roof carrier is definitely a hugely sub optimal solution for me personally at least.

That's the bare min required to make 2 - 3 people traveling in the Thar feasible and just wondering how doable it is in reality.

On the EVO review, my two cents as follows:

1. Sirish generally comes across as over-excited (and not necessarily in a confidence inspiring way) right since his overdrive days. So I am always guarded when forming judgments from his reviews.

2. I think when people are making statements on the new Thar, the big perspective issue (even if it is unintended and sub-conscious) is whether they are talking in the context of old thar or say for instance a Creta etc. To my mind, the nature of the current Thar is such that it is targeted at both these segments - hence this confusing overlap for different readers. The textbook old Thar customer to my mind is getting a far superior product for most part. The creta customer needs to be extremely mindful of the compromises he's making.

3. Having said the above, I did find some statements outright questionable - like doing "high triple digit" speeds. What was that all about. Made me felt he's out to please M&M and it stood out as the most stark wrong statement in the review. He's also overall postured as if this is a great long distance mile muncher. Which frankly it isn't in a perfect world. But again I'll give the benefit of doubt given that if you want to drive to Jaisalmer to dune bash or to Uttarakhand / Leh etc to do a hard picturesque drive then this will be a better bet to do the long journey TO such a place than the old Thar, not in isolation. A long highway drive will still be testing for sure.

I test drove the diesel AT finally

Finally managed to do a short (maybe 4 - 5 km) test drive of the diesel AT (up and down Marine Drive for those familiar with Mumbai.

Traffic was moderate so I really couldn't feel how the car feels at more than a basic 40 - 50 kmph city speed. But my brief bullet point takeaways:

1. Even on a reasonably smooth marine drive city road at moderate speeds, the car feels a little "busy" - sort of pitches up and down a bit. Its not a deal breaker but definitely well shy of what you'd expect in similar priced compact SUVs.

2. The steering is easy but a tad vague. I've come around to believe that this is the rare occasion where a little big of vagueness is actually better than a super sharp steering.

3. The car feels quite imposing from the driver's seat and the overall feel inside is just perfect. Not excessively utilitarian nor so posh that it is out of place for a vehicle of this nature.

4. I would definitely like to drive this vehicle over potholed roads in the city as well as a longer highway drive at higher speed to get a full sense of how the jeep handles at higher speed. If I ever were to consider this vehicle:

(a) I need to be comfortable that I am ok with its ride and handling characteristics over longer drives of anything between 200 to if possible even 600 km drives. If you own a Thar in MH and can't take it till Goa seems a bit of a shame! :-)

(b) I need to be comfortable that somehow or the other this will be ok to take the bare minimum luggage for a 4 – 5 day road trip.

5. Acceleration is all right. Nothing exciting. But again, would reserve my judgment till I can get a longer drive and test it more thoroughly.

All in all a great product that gets most things right even though it gets a few important ones annoyingly wrong.

Last edited by Axe77 : 14th December 2020 at 18:53.
Axe77 is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 14th December 2020, 18:54   #746
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkochar View Post
The HU turned itself off once during normal driving but it rebooted and came back in about 30 seconds.
Same was reported by a bhpian friend on the day of delivery, I drove the thar the same day, and it supposedly cured on its own.
Hopefully, it's a software glitch with the head unit.
Old 14th December 2020, 18:58   #747
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
Same was reported by a bhpian friend on the day of delivery, I drove the thar the same day, and it supposedly cured on its own.
Hopefully, it's a software glitch with the head unit.
Yeah. Even My Innova Crysta turns off once in 8-10 weeks and then comes back on again. Or the Maps would get stuck.
Old 14th December 2020, 22:01   #748
Senior - BHPian

Mahindra is still testing a version of the newly launched Thar in cold Manali winters with a different 7 vertical slat grill, looks swell.

Name:  Screenshot_202012142155512.png
Views: 2329
Size:  282.8 KB

Name:  Screenshot_202012142155532.png
Views: 2319
Size:  270.2 KB

There maybe other changes as well which I'm not sure about at this moment!

Name:  Screenshot_202012142229292.png
Views: 2298
Size:  322.1 KB

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 14th December 2020 at 23:59. Reason: Merged back to back posts.
Old 14th December 2020, 23:03   #749
BHPian

I am in the process of compiling a short ownership experience, Till then a brief summary.

Day 12 of ownership Experience of the Diesel HT MT

•1902kms on the ODO

• Full tank to Full tank method I am getting 13.6 kmpl over mixed usage, while the MID shows 15-16kmpl

• Sporadic issues with Android Auto where music won't play. Restarting the car ( not the media player) has resolved the issue most times.

• Once I have come across an issue where Cruise Control couldn't be set, however on switching off and On the car has fixed the issue.

• Media player resetting volume to ZERO is an inconvenience and M&M must release a patch to fix this. Whenever you guys visit ASC please report this in the Job Card.

• I gave a broad structure and I feel the seat base isn't supporting enough. Intend to get this fixed with extra contoured foam while I get the seat covers done.

What has been your experience so far?

There is a discussion thread ( outside tbhp)

https://m.facebook.com/groups/784492...4150361793241/
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img_20201214_140911_766.jpg  

soumobakshi is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 15th December 2020, 09:05   #750

Dear TeaBHPians. I have booked a diesel hardtop LX variant of Thar, yet to be delivered. Can any of the lucky owners elaborate on the back seat comfort? Can it be suitable for long journeys like 500km or so for the back seat riders? Will really help.Thanks in advance.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks