Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th November 2020, 23:48   #601
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar : Official Review

I think the price hike is to discourage booking cancellations as mentioned in the above posts, but from M&M's view its been a while since they have had a blockbuster (say 3 to 5 years after XUV?). Trying the squeeze the golden goose before demand starts to level out eventually for the Thar.

With a lot of flops and bad decisions in between, they are trying to earn some profitability on the ones they can. Personally as a buyer, I am discouraged by the price hike but on another point of view makes sense.
Old 1st December 2020, 07:43   #602
BHPian

I expected this price hike, it’s a common strategy in the Industry for products with good market response. However from a timing standpoint I anticipated this hike to effect from Jan’20. Looks like M&M chose to implement it after say 25k bookings and not wait till the year change

I liked the fact that :

1. Mahindra had the courtesy to inform potential customers about the upcoming price hike. Existing bookings are protected from the hike.

2. YouTube is full of crazy stuff these newbie Thar off-roaders are into. A big chunk of these 20-25k bookings are from first time off-roaders, imagine the environmental impact when these 15-20k Thars hit the mountains or even countryside.
Even if one fence sitter from that wannabe category is discouraged by the price hike, it’s just worth it.
Old 1st December 2020, 09:05   #603
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
Quoting from the statement issued by M&M: 'The New Thar Pricing will be Revised with Effective from December 1, 2020 for Fresh Bookings. Price Protection to those booked already will be matched with discounts on ex-showroom and slight variations on RTO Road Tax and Insurance to be bearable by individuals without any deviations. Time available for those who have plans on Booking their New Thar to avail on older Introductory Price is till November 30, 2020. Any Changes on existing Booking will be considered as Fresh Order from the date of Change. New Prices shall be updated shortly! Thank you’.
Could you please share the source of this information?
Old 1st December 2020, 10:08   #604
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torque_Curve View Post
Could you please share the source of this information?
https://www.rushlane.com/2020-mahind...-12385043.html
Slipstream11 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2020, 10:37   #605
Senior - BHPian

Everyone discussing the price hike here is there any official update on the same. I had a chat with M&M customer care and they clarified that there is no formal information on price hike. Also, the website still shows the original price. Are we ranting over rumours only?
Old 1st December 2020, 10:44   #606
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torquedo View Post
Moving on, sadder than the price hike is, removing the AX STD and AX variants bookings altogether, just goes to show that Mr Mahindra is only looking at selling variants with the highest profit margins and are least bothered having people with limited budget lay their hands on this beast.
I hope you understand that Mahindra isn't doing any social service by selling the Thar so that people can afford their dream car at the company's expense. They run a business and it runs on profits
sodapop is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st December 2020, 12:10   #607
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodapop View Post
I hope you understand that Mahindra isn't doing any social service by selling the Thar so that people can afford their dream car at the company's expense. They run a business and it runs on profits
And I say why not. If they can tout that their car has more value proposition as a true blue SUV, with the added crown being the ONLY decent GNCAP rated car in its segment and others around it, they deserve the money they ask.
fhdowntheline is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2020, 13:03   #608

(UPDATE) ROOF LEAK ISSUE ON HARDTOP LX.

The service folks at Mahindra put a thick layer of black silicone glue sealant to cover the whole mid roof slit and asked to wait 48 hrs until wash. And they have assured if it doesnt work they will rework the roof which honestly sounds scary to me. It looks like a rough job that I am ok with as of now. Time will tell how it holds. It is my humble request to members who are taking the deliveries to kindly look at their roofs too. It was quite an embarrasment for me. However, the transmission (no noise for a diesel; no initial clatter like on my XUV300) and practical features just compensate for everything else. FE figures are also encouraging at 11.8kmpl on AT. The brakes are excellent. No nose dive or sponginess. But, this roof leak issue should be addressed asap. It just kills the whole purpose of having a hardtop. And, one more thing I noticed is that they have now put protective caps on those exposed nuts at the back. The reverse camera is missed badly (the showroom doesnt have it still as an accesory). I got a false leather cover made for the sparewheel so that people don't treat it like a toy which I did not find in the accesory list here too. Cheers everyone. Apologies and gratitude to Mods for errors in the last post.
gobarboss is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 1st December 2020, 13:36   #609
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobarboss View Post
Hi GB. Could you please share a few photographs or the issue and remedial measures taken by the dealer? It would really helpful.
Pancham is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st December 2020, 14:22   #610
BHPian

Quote:

The service folks at Mahindra put a thick layer of black silicone glue sealant to cover the whole mid roof slit and asked to wait 48 hrs until wash. And they have assured if it doesnt work they will rework the roof which honestly sounds scary to me. It looks like a rough job that I am ok with as of now.....
Now this is a spoilsport from Mahindra. I hope it's just a one off and your issue is duly resolved with the fix.
I can imagine the embarrassment for a new owner, especially when getting a Thar in the family often would have involved much convincing.

Please do share few pictures of the issue and the fix.

While such things can happen to any car, but a lot rides on this for the All New Thar, as that is it's biggest USP. (Offtopic, I do remember issue of water leaking in an Innova Crysta, when it was launched, through the cabin light console, so surely can happen to any car).
justwheels is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st December 2020, 14:43   #611
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The service folks at Mahindra put a thick layer of black silicone glue sealant to cover the whole mid roof slit and asked to wait 48 hrs until wash
Hope this is a one-off case and the issue is rectified soon.

On a lighter note, maybe the price-hike has been rolled out to accommodate the cost of a better sealant for the hard top
cool_dube is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st December 2020, 19:07   #612

(PHOTOS AND 2ND UPDATE) ROOF LEAK LX/AT-D

So, I went on another ride now and the remaining water (pre-sealing) in the lower/cabin roof component still leaked in a few drops as noticed by co-passenger. Here are a few pics I took in time (Sorry its 1905HR as I am posting this). I will not wash my car until this leakage dries out completely and check again if the sealing works.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20201201_185844_copy_1600x901.jpg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20201201_185901_copy_1600x901.jpg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20201201_185745_copy_1600x901.jpg  

gobarboss is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 1st December 2020, 19:37   #613
BHPian

This is totally not acceptable for a new car!
Would request members to add this roof leak test to the existing PDI list.
hareshjethwani is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2020, 21:32   #614

After years of seeing the spy shots I finally booked the HT Manual Diesel without even doing a test drive (the price increase news got me worried). Dealer has given me 48 hours to avail the free cancellation offer. Also I have not been forced to buy the accessories, extended warranty, RSA, etc.

Planning to do a test drive tomorrow. Fingers crossed.
Old 1st December 2020, 21:42   #615
BHPian

They should have made this hard top as single mould instead of 2 piece. Leaking in a brand new vehicle is strictly not acceptable as 17 big gandhis is not a price point to compromise on such terrible design mistakes. I hope this is just a one off incident ! I suggest you should send a detailed email raising this issue to the top most management in M&M.
highwaypatrol is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks