Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th December 2020, 23:53   #691
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipstream11 View Post
I doubt if the LX petrol auto is indeed the hottest selling variant.
If it’s not, it should be. I did an extensive drive of the Petrol AT today and quite literally have had a change of heart. That mstallion engine is a gem, I was particularly impressed with the low NVH besides the performance.
I had booked my Diesel AT on 2nd Oct, have pushed the delivery out to Feb for a VIN 21 vehicle and given a choice, I would switch to Petrol AT anyday. I also felt that Petrol handles better on-road. It could just be a feeling or the kerb weight difference between the Diesel and Petrol models could be the reason.

Would request people who test drove both Petrol and Diesel to share if they noticed the difference in the handling

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-e640023ce8414606a63666d9d3915dfa.jpeg
Rajiv0909 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 9th December 2020, 01:12   #692
BHPian

I got my first service done last weekend at around 950 kms and there are a few things worth mentioning:

1. The rubber jutting out of the windshield was not an issue according to the service center. It was a packing material which simply came out. I am referring to the image below shared earlier.
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-thar-first-drive.00_06_09_06.still001.jpg

2. The DEF and Diesel Tanks have a plastic plate protection. Even though, the GC is quite high, a metal plate would have been better.

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-vlcsnap2020120900h58m07s008.png

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-vlcsnap2020120900h59m38s306.png

3. This was the first Thar for servicing there and the service center (NR Autos, Kolkata) could not lift the Thar on the hydraulic rails for underbody washing as the rails were touching critical parts like the diesel tank. They needed some clamps to lift it which they did not have in stock. According to them. other cars like Scorpio / Xuv did not need any such clamps. I don't know if this issue is with the particular Service Center I went to but they said they would call me again for underbody washing.

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-vlcsnap2020120901h03m49s161.png

P.S. Heading to the mountains 25th Dec, onwards!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneLivingLife View Post
I got my first service done last weekend at around 950 kms and there are a few things worth mentioning:
Missed adding the video in the last post -

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 9th December 2020 at 06:54. Reason: Back to back posts merged.
OneLivingLife is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 9th December 2020, 01:47   #693
BHPian

Finally a good off-roading and winch compatible bumper for the new Thar Azad 4x4. Grill looks better than stock. Excited for the year to come with more mods addition.

Link:
SportsMedicine is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th December 2020, 06:17   #694
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajiv0909 View Post
If it’s not, it should be. I did an extensive drive of the Petrol AT today and quite literally have had a change of heart.
The Thar petrol will sell well in NCR. A friend from Delhi TD'd the petrol AT and had all the good things to say about it. However, ended up buying the diesel counterpart (reg. in HP, I guess) citing the following reasons, which I somewhat agree to:

1. An untested petrol unit from Mahindra
2. A thirstier petrol AT TC
3. Diesel's long range

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 9th December 2020 at 08:31. Reason: sighting > citing.
Slipstream11 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th December 2020, 07:54   #695
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsMedicine View Post
Finally a good off-roading and winch compatible bumper for the new Thar Azad 4x4. Grill looks better than stock. Excited for the year to come with more mods addition.

Link:
https://Youtu.be/0rS5THnYO88
Nice! Needs LED bulbs in the front indicators to even out the irregular flashing between them and the headlight corona rings.
itwasntme is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2020, 09:15   #696
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I had booked my Diesel AT on 2nd Oct, have pushed the delivery out to Feb for a VIN 21 vehicle and given a choice, I would switch to Petrol AT
Hi Rajiv, I am in the same predicament about delivery dates and VIN 20 versus 21 cars. My SA is saying my delivery of the Diesel AT car is scheduled for Jan 2nd and it will be a VIN 20 car. He says if I refuse it and ask for a VIN21 car, my priority will drop to that of a new booking i.e., 9 months more waiting! How did you manage to push out the delivery and get a VIN21 car? Did you contact M&M directly?
Old 9th December 2020, 09:29   #697

Sir,

Except the booking confirmation on the day of the payment, havent got anything called CPD from them. I am actually not familiar with this term

However did get the OTR a few days back which says that I would be intimated about the exact date of delivery sometime in the first week of May next year.

rgds
Old 9th December 2020, 09:46   #698
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacko View Post
Sir,

Except the booking confirmation on the day of the payment, havent got anything called CPD from them. I am actually not familiar with this term

However did get the OTR a few days back which says that I would be intimated about the exact date of delivery sometime in the first week of May next year.

rgds
If you have booked the vehicle online (even if through the dealership), your chosen dealer will give you the CPD or the Customer Promised Date. Its a tentative date (as per Mahindra's system) by which you might get your vehicle. This date will keep fluctuating all through the waiting period as the final delivery depends on various factors and variables.

And the OTR price will be shared with you by your dealer again.

Last edited by Slipstream11 : 9th December 2020 at 09:48.
Old 9th December 2020, 10:28   #699
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I did an extensive drive of the Petrol AT today and quite literally have had a change of heart.
Quote:
A friend from Delhi TD'd the petrol AT and had all the good things to say about it.
A petrol engine mated to an automatic transmission is bound to be thirsty. Has anyone tried the manual petrol yet? I have not read any feedback on the same.
Old 9th December 2020, 10:54   #700
BHPian

Quote:
A friend from Delhi TD'd the petrol AT and had all the good things to say about it.
Could you please ask your friend and tell where did he TD the petrol Thar, cause my dealer, Indraprasth Wazirpur does not have petrol vehicle for TD and since I've booked and intend to buy one, I would like to TD it.
Thanks in advance.
Old 9th December 2020, 11:07   #701
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pariyadav View Post
Could you please ask your friend and tell where did he TD the petrol Thar, cause my dealer, Indraprasth Wazirpur does not have petrol vehicle for TD and since I've booked and intend to buy one, I would like to TD it.
Thanks in advance.
Unfortunately most TD vehicles all around are diesel. My friend (a Himachali staying in Delhi) did his TD in Manali, on a petrol AT bought by his acquaintance.
Slipstream11 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2020, 11:49   #702
BHPian

Quote:
Unfortunately most TD vehicles all around are diesel. My friend (a Himachali staying in Delhi) did his TD in Manali, on a petrol AT bought by his acquaintance.
If you’re in Pune, you can try Unnati motors for Petrol AT TD
Old 9th December 2020, 11:53   #703

Greeting everyone ,
I got my AT Hardtop Petrol delivered to me last Friday.
Here are my take-aways-

1. This jeep replaces my 2016 Isuzu Dmax, which hit 1lakh KM this year under me. It served me well, I love that truck.
What I needed in a new car was the following- At least some (in-cabin) bootspace, an Automatic transmission and obviously needed to be 4x4.

2. It is my daily driver. I put a lot of kilometers on my vehicles as I tend to stick with one primary vehicle for everything. Delhi-Chandigarh/Delhi-Jaipur and back in 24hours are very frequent.

3. I'm glad I went with the petrol. It is a GEM. It keeps up and maybe even gives trouble to Polo GT TSI's and Toyota Fortuners. It loves being high in the revs. Keep in mind, it guzzles fuel.

4. It is comfortable and stable at 120km/h with some wind noise, it is HAPPY at 80km/h.

5. The key to a comfortable drive and getting good FE figures is the CRUISE CONTROL. Use it where ever possible. Put it at 60-80kmph and watch the estimated range climb.

6. It fits in every parking space. I'm only used to looking for big parking spots, but the length of the jeep makes life very easy.

7. In 5 days, I've done 650 kilometers and this thing has guzzled Rs.7-8k worth fuel. I'm expecting it to become a bit better after the first service, but I knew what I was getting myself into when I bought the petrol.

I will write a detailed post with everything I've noted if needed, plus a comparison with the Isuzu Dmax.
666arj is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 9th December 2020, 11:56   #704
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneLivingLife View Post
Missed adding the video in the last post - https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=_GrXTcAAQRo
Good walk through!

How is the bug deflector - did you try highway speeds after affixing it, and does it reduce bugs from being splattered on the wind shield?

Also, it calls out in the manual to not pressure wash the underbody (and the engine bay), I hope the service center considered that - I am point this out as you've mentioned that they tried to lift the Thar up for wash but could not - and the video shows your Thar being pressure washed from the rear bottom. I have attached a photo of the user manual in this post.

Happy jeeping!
ph03n!x is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2020, 12:02   #705
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
A petrol engine mated to an automatic transmission is bound to be thirsty. Has anyone tried the manual petrol yet? I have not read any feedback on the same.
When I started the TD, Thar had 390 kms on the Odo with 7 kmpl as the mileage, after 46 kms of ride mileage improved to 7.6 kmpl. Of these 46 kms, 30 would be mix of crowded city and SHs, 10ish kms of broken Tarmac and the balance 6-7 kms of no road. On road speed varied between 15- 65 kmph with barely any overtaking/ heavy throttle inputs

Thar isn’t a mile muncher hence not too worried about the fuel economy. At 50k kms with 3 kmpl kind of mileage difference between petrol / diesel and 10₹ Rate difference between diesel and petrol, outgo is 21k. Petrol is cheaper by 30k already
Rajiv0909 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks