Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 1st December 2020, 22:23   #616
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwaypatrol View Post
They should have made this hard top as single mould instead of 2 piece. Leaking in a brand new vehicle is strictly not acceptable
I agree, it should have been single piece. Mahindra should immediately work on this as more they wait, more retrofitting might be required. Hope Mahindra will take care of this. Saying this from my experience that I got MLD retrofitting in my TUV3OO after one and half years of purchase as we complained about wheel spinning issue and many other owners got upgraded suspension.

Owners should not limit the complaint to service dealers only and can reach out to the regional customer service manager of Mahindra as well as Mahindra leadership on social media/email.

Last edited by airbus : 1st December 2020 at 22:25.
airbus is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2020, 22:38   #617
BHPian

Quote:
They should have made this hard top as single mould instead of 2 piece. Leaking in a brand new vehicle is strictly not acceptable as 17 big gandhis is not a price point to compromise on such terrible design mistakes. I hope this is just a one off incident ! I suggest you should send a detailed email raising this issue to the top most management in M&M.
I don't think this is a one off. This exact complaint was mentioned by some YouTube reviewer, the link which is put up a few pages earlier.
Not sure how the quality control goes though for something as basic as this.
hareshjethwani is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2020, 02:26   #618
Senior - BHPian

Question about the price hike. When I look at the website, I still see the 13.75L for the LX, Diesel, AT, HT (13.65L for convertible). Am I missing any posts or anything? I guess that was the original price for this model right?
Old 2nd December 2020, 07:14   #619
Distinguished - BHPian

Someone is happy. The GNCAP score + price rise in the same week!

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20201202_014338.jpg
Old 2nd December 2020, 08:17   #620
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketan View Post
Question about the price hike. When I look at the website, I still see the 13.75L for the LX, Diesel, AT, HT (13.65L for convertible). Am I missing any posts or anything? I guess that was the original price for this model right?
Looks like they have not enacted the price hike yet. They may be testing the waters with some soft hints to media to see how the customer base reacts. Or, they could be having a rethink after the storm of criticism - here and elsewhere in social media. It is also possible they are waiting for Jan 1 2021, which would be a more logical date as many automakers do price hikes of that day and this one can look more normal

Last edited by 84.monsoon : 2nd December 2020 at 08:18.
Old 2nd December 2020, 10:53   #621
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
Looks like they have not enacted the price hike yet. They may be testing the waters with some soft hints to media to see how the customer base reacts.
Or, could be a tactic to push the fence-sitters over to book in a hurry I'm sure they'd have got a surge of bookings over 29-30 November.
cool_dube is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2020, 11:53   #622
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobarboss View Post
(PHOTOS AND 2ND UPDATE) ROOF LEAK LX/AT-D

So, I went on another ride now and the remaining water (pre-sealing) in the lower/cabin roof component still leaked in a few drops as noticed by co-passenger. Here are a few pics I took in time (Sorry its 1905HR as I am posting this). I will not wash my car until this leakage dries out completely and check again if the sealing works.
Hope the issue is sorted out, don't be too alarmed this is standard M&M niggles, the first-gen Thar had an annoying leak at front windshield which still remains a mystery for many We term it as Jeep thing and move on... Yes, it is inexcusable after paying so much money, but that is how this vehicle is. How much ever one wishes it cannot be like a well put together monocoque chassis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
Looks like they have not enacted the price hike yet. They may be testing the waters with some soft hints to media to see how the customer base reacts. Or, they could be having a rethink after the storm of criticism - here and elsewhere in social media. It is also possible they are waiting for Jan 1 2021, which would be a more logical date as many automakers do price hikes of that day and this one can look more normal
Reality is, it is already an overpriced product for what it offers, there is no further sense in hiking price. The increase in price will only bring down future sales. Even existing booking if are not fulfilled fast, folks would start the cancellation. Right now no one is minding coz it is just 20k INR which is not really a big amount for someone purchasing a vehicle of more than 15-16 lakhs.

Last edited by Jaggu : 2nd December 2020 at 12:19.
Jaggu is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2020, 12:07   #623
BHPian

Quote:
They should have made this hard top as single mould instead of 2 piece. Leaking in a brand new vehicle is strictly not acceptable as 17 big gandhis is not a price point to compromise on such terrible design mistakes. I hope this is just a one off incident ! I suggest you should send a detailed email raising this issue to the top most management in M&M.
This design of having a split roof might have something to do with Mahindra planning something on the lines of a freedom hard top variant in the future as they would required a similar design. Even so I do agree that a leaking roof on a brand new vehicle is unacceptable.
Peaky_blinder is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2020, 12:10   #624
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Reality is, it is already an overpriced product for what it offers, there is no further sense in hiking price. The increase in price will only bring down future sales. Even existing booking if are not fulfilled fast, folks would start the cancellation. Right now no one is minding coz it is just 20k INR which is not really a big amount for someone purchasing a vehicle of more than 15-16 lakhs.
True if orders are not fulfilled in a realistic time frame there going to be cancellations & surely going to affect future sales.

A friend of mine already Cancelled Thar and booked Seltos and I personally looking at Compass 4x4 even though there is a huge price n capability difference between the two. One being more off road capable and other more capable and comfortable on road.

Hope someone from M&M is going through the chit-chat here. And as already brought out its an already overpriced veh so a price hike now when they have a backlog of orders running into 6-7 month is just leveraging the monopoly in the market which in long-term may not augur well.

Last edited by techfreak : 2nd December 2020 at 12:10. Reason: Spelling issue
techfreak is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2020, 15:20   #625
Senior - BHPian

So, I finally booked before I went to bed early morning. The ex-showroom price was not showing any price hike. I went ahead with the LX D AT HT on mystic copper for now. The waiting period flashed was 35-36 weeks. I've asked the dealer for options around cancellation options available if the waiting period is this much. I'll be happy if I get it sometime around first quarter of the next calendar year.
I was planning to get Thar for many years, since the first version launched, but somehow got to execute it only now, heart was with the convertible top but I went with the head on this part and got HT, hope to see a better option of getting convertible top in the future by M&M or after-market. This is going to be the second M&M vehicle after XUV-5OO I have and should work well as a second vehicle. Keeping fingers crossed for reasonable waiting period.
Ketan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2020, 15:32   #626
Senior - BHPian

Mahindra Thar : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneLivingLife View Post
Finally, I got my Diesel MT HT Thar delivered last Wednesday

Hi OLL. Congratulations on the Thar. Could you please share the final on road price along with the insurance and tax break-up? Apologies if you have already mentioned it. Would help since I am also from Kolkata.

Last edited by Pancham : 2nd December 2020 at 15:42.
Old 2nd December 2020, 17:04   #627
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketan View Post
So, I finally booked before I went to bed early morning...

The waiting period flashed was 35-36 weeks...
Congratulations! That's some waiting period - almost 9 months!! Not sure if any other vehicle has commanded such waiting periods in the past. One might as well book in Q1 next year and get a 2022 registered Thar

BTW, the variant booked by you HT/AT/Diesel is the most popular one and hence the long wait. I was told by a friend who booked one, that convertible tops (in both petrol and diesel) are available much sooner.

Last edited by cool_dube : 2nd December 2020 at 17:06.
cool_dube is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2020, 17:53   #628
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
Hi OLL. Congratulations on the Thar. Could you please share the final on road price along with the insurance and tax break-up? Apologies if you have already mentioned it. Would help since I am also from Kolkata.
Here's the breakup -
Ex Showroom - 1295000
TCS - 9712
Incidental - 5900
Insurance - 52767
RTO - 130241

Rest are optional charges like accessories and fancy no. So, I did not mention them.
OneLivingLife is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2020, 18:13   #629
Team-BHP Support

I ended up booking Two

On 30th Evening, seeing the news of prices hike, tried booking but the payment failed Although it went in subsequent try, it still showed as failed. Mostly they credit such transactions back and on second thoughts I wanted to change the address from Gurgaon to Chandigarh so I booked another via Chandigarh dealer. Next day, Mahindra called me and asked to pay for the first booking, and I explained what happened. Eventually they found the payment somewhere.

So, now I have two bookings and If cancel, they will charge me Rs 2100. Waiting for their chocolates to recover a part, hope the cancellation charges stay Rs 2100 after delivery of chocolates too.

BTW, Delivery is 35-37 week for both locations.

Last edited by Turbanator : 2nd December 2020 at 18:17.
Turbanator is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2020, 19:02   #630
Senior - BHPian

1000 km nearing

So I have almost done 1000 kms ( 950 to be precise )

I am driving this everyday and it is turning out to be an absolute brilliant decision over the Seltos and Creta for my requirements.

Having driven an Innova AT the last nearly 5 years transitioning to this has been very easy. The brute power is similar and the gearbox very very good.

The decision to have taken an AT was superb. The amount of calls and drinking coffee or simply driving in super heavy traffic is a breeze and anyone with a busy on the move lifestyle and thinking of getting this in Manual should rethink.

I have 2 drivers and both are extremely grumpy these days as I give this vehicle to no one and they are now getting a bit irritated.

I will be sending this for the first service next week so around the 1200 mark. I am covering roughly between 50 - 100 kms.

I can't wait to drive this to Delhi on the expressway however just waiting for my Number to be officially allocated and the HSRP Number plate to arrive as I took a special / fancy number.

The best part is we have technicians from Europe who work with us in factory's and a few who arrived most recently started admiring the car and wanted to be dropped / picked up in this and not the Innova - Interesting
vkochar is offline   (12) Thanks

Most Viewed