Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th December 2020, 07:24   #766
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar : Official Review

Sharing an excerpt from the Thar 2020 user manual.
Check the portion boxed red
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-thar-2020.png  

Slipstream11 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 16th December 2020, 09:57   #767

So, the Reverse Camera finally arrived at the agency yesterday. Got it installed first thing in the morning. Camera cost Rs 2,200 (Mfd by M&M + Diagnostic charge of Rs 1000. The camera is installed over the plastic bumper below the spare tyre. Neat work. Camera lens can be moved up or down according to your preference. It does not come with the usual parking guidelines though. Simple vision yet so helpful. At night gives decent visibility. Sharing a few pics. Wanted to go for 70mai, ddpai but this is it for now.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20201216_093646_copy_1600x901.jpg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20201215_221652_copy_1600x901.jpg  

gobarboss is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th December 2020, 10:17   #768
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipstream11 View Post
Can you please share the link of this owner manual ? I tried searching, but couldn't find.

Thanks.
Old 16th December 2020, 10:20   #769
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoNoob View Post
Can you please share the link of this owner manual ? I tried searching, but couldn't find.

Thanks.

Here you go!!

https://storagewyh.blob.core.windows...er-manual.html
Slipstream11 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th December 2020, 10:37   #770
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

I happened to casually check with my local dealer in Gurgaon regarding the waiting period for the Thar LX Diesel variant. I was told by the sales adviser that the Hard Top variant commands a 39 week waiting period at the moment and the Convertible Top has a 38 week waiting period now.
//M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2020, 11:05   #771
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VRJ View Post

He tells me that there was no warning light on the dashboard. I find this hard to believe. Doesn't every car come with a warning light? More on this below.

There is no Bonnet ajar warning in the Swift too, just checked this morning. So, this might be a problem where switches and warnings are not provided for the bonnet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipstream11 View Post
This is more of a general disclaimer, which companies use to wash off their hands in case of any mishappening. I agree with others that even if the latches are left/forgotten open, the primary lock which is released from inside should not open by itself, even by considerable wind force. If the primary lock opens by virtue of windforce then that means that the bonnet is easily openable from the outside and hence the battery and other items under the hood are very vulnerable to theft.

I do not in any way suggest that the incident is false or the fault of the owner, mishappenings have a way of their own for occurring which defy the accepted rules, as we understand them. Just my views regarding different scenarios.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 16th December 2020 at 11:46. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Please use the multi-quote button while quoting and replying to multiple posts at once. Thanks.
Old 16th December 2020, 11:22   #772
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydraulicsteer View Post
Firstly a open bonnet is generally part of door ajar warning indicator which lights up on the cluster as well as chime a alarm in most modern expensive cars.
Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
Are you sure there is no "bonnet open" warning lamp on instrument cluster?
Quote:
Originally Posted by VRJ View Post
He tells me that there was no warning light on the dashboard. I find this hard to believe. Doesn't every car come with a warning light?
Thanks to Slipstream11 for sharing the owner's manual. Seems like answer is found.

There is Door Ajar warning lamp on instrument cluster in new Thar (thank you Mahindra !!), but seems like Bonnet is not connected to this warning.

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-thar-door-ajar.png
AutoNoob is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th December 2020, 13:19   #773
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobarboss View Post
So, the Reverse Camera finally arrived at the agency yesterday. Got it installed first thing in the morning. Camera cost Rs 2,200 (Mfd by M&M + Diagnostic charge of Rs 1000. The camera is installed over the plastic bumper below the spare tyre. Neat work. Camera lens can be moved up or down according to your preference. It does not come with the usual parking guidelines though. Simple vision yet so helpful. At night gives decent visibility. Sharing a few pics. Wanted to go for 70mai, ddpai but this is it for now.
Hi, thanks for the useful post. A couple of questions:
  • Is the camera wireless? Or was any wiring required inside the vehicle?
  • Does it automatically switch to reverse camera view when engaging reverse gear?
84.monsoon is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 16th December 2020, 13:34   #774
BHPian

I would have fitted a flush mounted number plate light mounted camera model instead of this directed fitted one on to the bumber. It looks more factory fitted than this direct bumper mounted one. You can also avoid putting a hole on to the bumper as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-screenshot_20201216133342.jpg  

highwaypatrol is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2020, 14:27   #775
Senior - BHPian

Nope, there is no warning if the hood is not locked in place properly -

Name:  Thar  Door Ajar.png
Views: 3650
Size:  20.3 KB
ph03n!x is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th December 2020, 14:40   #776
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
Nope, there is no warning if the hood is not locked in place properly -
Ok, Quick question - The hood will be locked properly if the side bonnet latches can be fastened right? and if the hood is not locked, you will feel it while fastening the side latches.
The reason I am asking this is, Mahindra might have reduced one switch by thinking this as redundancy.

Also, I have seen (in my exposure) the bonnet switches only in cars having the hydraulic lifters/dampers. If there are none the sheer weight of bonnet will make it lock properly on the drop (from a at least some height). Not having hydraulic assist lifter/damper may. put excessive load on switch also in my view.

Last edited by saikarthik : 16th December 2020 at 14:42.
Old 16th December 2020, 15:14   #777
BHPian

Usually the bonnet will have 2 locking systems in almost every car for this exact security reason. You pull the latch once from inside, it unlocks the first lock. But if you need to lift the hood, usually u need to press another level from inside underneath the hood. I guess that second lock system is not present in Thar and instead, they have given those 2 external latches. If this is the case, its a serious security concern indeed for every Thar owner.
Old 16th December 2020, 16:27   #778
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwaypatrol View Post
Usually the bonnet will have 2 locking systems in almost every car for this exact security reason. You pull the latch once from inside, it unlocks the first lock. But if you need to lift the hood, usually u need to press another level from inside underneath the hood. I guess that second lock system is not present in Thar and instead, they have given those 2 external latches. If this is the case, its a serious security concern indeed for every Thar owner.
I don't see how this is any different from any other car. When you close the bonnet (typically by dropping it down the last 6-9 inches of travel), the inside bonnet lock engages, be it in the Thar or in any other car. In the case of the Thar, you have an additional safety mechanism - the latches on either side. So, if you did not hard close the bonnet and let is rest gingerly when closing, thereby not engaging the interior locking mechanism, the hood could pop up when in motion in any car, be it the Thar or any other car. However, in Thar, you have the additional safety mechanism - that you will most likely see the bonnet is not properly closed, because the latches remain open. So in this respect, the Thar is more safe not less safe. Only point that could be made is that the inside warning lamp is not activated but in its place, you do have open latches that should tell you the same thing - in fact louder and clearer!

Last edited by 84.monsoon : 16th December 2020 at 16:29.
84.monsoon is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 16th December 2020, 16:36   #779
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwaypatrol View Post
. I guess that second lock system is not present in Thar and instead, they have given those 2 external latches. If this is the case, its a serious security concern indeed for every Thar owner.
Page 1 of this thread.

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-2020mahindrathar011.jpg

2020 Thar has an inside latch just like any other vehicle.
Kosfactor is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 16th December 2020, 16:59   #780
BHPian

Inside latch is ok. But does it have 2 way lock mechanism? Usually you need to lift a knob from underneath the hood to lift it up completely. As I said before, once you pull the bonnet opening knob from inside, one lock opens. But still hood won't come up completely until you pull/press the knob from underneath the hood. I guess that is the mechanism which might be missing in Thar which resulted in hood popping up completely in motion. In normal cars, even if you pull the opening knob / latch from inside, in motion it won't open up beacuse of the second lock mechanism which is already there in the hood.
highwaypatrol is online now   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks