Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th December 2020, 18:19   #781
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar : Official Review

The thar bonet is not easy to open. It requires a certain amount of Strength to pull the latch below the steering. And now I understand why it cant be opened easily.

Once open to double secure there are the two outside huge latches that are also pretty firm and ensure good locking.

How this freak accident happened without someone realizing this is strange.

So many Thar's being sold and obviously this is a not a normal vehicle hence expect to see a lot of more freak incidents like this with the vehicle.

When I was getting the HSRP plates someone mentioned to me there was a certain customer who was only and only driving with the 4X4 4H mode enabled even on normal roads. So expect a lot of unexpected things folks.

A lot of customers probably think this is a more butch looking 2 door vehicle similar to a Creta / Sonet / Scorpio.
vkochar is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th December 2020, 19:44   #782
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VRJ View Post

Attachment 2093508

Anyways, to all current owners and future ones, please make sure you check those damn flaps before you head out. Stay safe.

Cheers!
This is most probably didn't flip open when the vehicle was in motion and hit the windshield perimeter as described. As if looked closely the bend line on the bonnet is not straight, it's slightly at an angle. Had it been the windshield frame it would have been absolutely straight.

Am I seeing it right or something else?
techfreak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2020, 21:28   #783
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwaypatrol View Post
In normal cars, even if you pull the opening knob / latch from inside, in motion it won't open up beacuse of the second lock mechanism which is already there in the hood.
If pulling the lever under the hood is the 2nd fail safe mechanism then the Thar has 2 latches that hold the hood in place even after the lever has been pulled from inside. So this makes it a 3 step process in thar! Yes, strangers could fiddle with the latches and leave them open, and then if the inside lock is open, then the sound and vibrations of the hood should be the signal to see which of the doors/boot/hood is ajar. The ride quality of the Thar should be very helpful with this! In earlier cars this technique was used to detect open doors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by techfreak View Post
As if looked closely the bend line on the bonnet is not straight, it's slightly at an angle. Had it been the windshield frame it would have been absolutely straight.

Am I seeing it right or something else?
Even I noticed this initially but overlooked it, but as mentioned earlier the dynamics and results of an accident are not always consistent with our understandings. But yes the bend line is not straight and so not consistent with what should have happened when the hood hits the windshield frame upon swinging open, the hood should not sway to one side and it is held by 2 hinges and should hit the frame straight. But it is what it is, and how it happened. Also, no hit marks are visible on the front of the hood so frontal collision may be ruled out.
Old 16th December 2020, 22:34   #784

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
Hi, thanks for the useful post. A couple of questions:
  • Is the camera wireless? Or was any wiring required inside the vehicle?
  • Does it automatically switch to reverse camera view when engaging reverse gear?
Thank you sir. It is a regular wired camera. The posterior lights and display panel were taken out and wire system was introduced. The wire was hidden under the rubber and fabric fittings. As soon as you put reverse gear it switches on and remains so until next gear shift. The camera however cannot be accessed as and when you want like in some cars. The camera can freely move on vertical axis according to your preference. It does not show parking guide lines like it does on xuv300 though which also moves with changing tyre direction and provides park assist if wanted. But one cool feature on Thar is that it in Reverse it also shows exact distance of any object in way from the parking sensors in cms. But I feel the guidelines do not appear due to poor software installation by the agency serviceman. Maybe in better hands it can be done better. Mahindra could easily avoid this hassle and provide an awesome setup like that on xuv300. But, NO. However one good thing is that in such 2 din units any third party camera setup will not require any extra screens. So I suggest getting it done outside to get a more sophisticated experience. And its a must bcos the car is too high to afford any blind spots. Cheers!
gobarboss is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2020, 09:18   #785
Senior - BHPian

I wasted a good 10 min with the Mahindra Customer Care today. Whatever query I had he gave me a standard response: "Please check with your dealer". I clarified that I booked online with Mahindra and not with the dealer. He had same response.

I asked him the following:

1. Price change applicability - He said, "Sir, check with your dealer. We have no such information". I told him about the emails Mahindra sent out. He kept me on hold and came back "Sir, price increase will be applicable on all bookings irrespective of any cut off date". I told him about 1 Dec. He said, he is just passing on the information from the company and there is no such cut off date.

2. Colour change - Booking has to be canceled and a fresh booking has to be made if I want to change the colour.

3. Expected delivery date/CPD - My dealer had informed me its 24 Aug 21. I wanted to check from Mahindra if there were any updates to this; however, they had no clue. He said, "Sir, check with the dealer, we have no such information".

A lot of room is given to the dealers to play around with your bookings then.

Last edited by Pancham : 17th December 2020 at 09:22.
Pancham is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th December 2020, 10:24   #786
Team-BHP Support

Questions for the guys who have canceled there bookings, do they process it automatically or will route via dealership?

I booked two due to an error on 30th November but have never heard back after the next day confirmation calls.

Did one cancellation yesterday so want to check the refund process.
Old 17th December 2020, 11:42   #787
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
3. Expected delivery date/CPD - I wanted to check from Mahindra if there were any updates to this; however, they had no clue. He said, "Sir, check with the dealer, we have no such information".
This is expected.

Note that Mahindra customer care would not have information about the delivery dates and status of the bookings. Dealer is equipped with a better information availability. They have an excel sheet which gets updated on day to day basis on the status of each and every order they have. The status would move from In Process, Billed, Transit.. etc, something like that. Calling customer care to check status will not help. They would forward the same to the dealer asking to talk to you or to an ASM. With such an enormous amount of bookings and incredibly long lead time, there is no point in escalating this to higher up's. Just being patient would give you a piece of mind.
balenoed_ is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th December 2020, 16:33   #788
Senior - BHPian

So we have had another Thar booked by someone else in our family / friends and I made the booking. We booked it on 19/11 and expected date of handover is in January / max early February. Now early deliveries are much more possible in smaller towns than bigger towns which is why quoted dates are high.

I personally know 3 cars from our dealership went to customers in Delhi as they could not manage to get them in NCR.

Dates are all dependent on dealers.
Note - dealers are also purchasing booking cars right from the start in there own names. This way they satisfy unexpected and VIP demand ( note politicians / govt officials etc )

You will not believe the amount of calls they are getting and each one stresses on there position. It is becoming a task for them to handle such queries. It is perhaps the reason why absurd dates like 8 - 10 months is being given.

The amount of head turning this vehicle does I am not Kidding even after 27 days of ownership is ridiculous. And I hardly see any on road. Perhaps a total of 3-4 times I have seen vehicles.

Now play a scenario where some politician / high profile customer ( And note Mahindra probably has loads of them ! ) needs this car immediately - how does the dealer entertain them ? So he goes ahead and books immediate vehicles on down payment.

M&M is keeping a close watch on no under the table / pay something extra - to get the vehicle. That bit is sorted even though customers are ready to pay extra.

So expect a lot of unexpected things in this extremely unexpected and bizarre turn of events - one that M&M probably did not think in there wildest dreams. There lies an excellent future in this category for Mahindra.

Last edited by vkochar : 17th December 2020 at 16:36.
vkochar is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th December 2020, 18:29   #789
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkochar View Post
So expect a lot of unexpected things in this extremely unexpected and bizarre turn of events - one that M&M probably did not think in there wildest dreams. There lies an excellent future in this category for Mahindra.
This unexpected scenario clearly goes on to show that Mahindra has tapped into this absolute "white space" on the Indian automobile canvas, and how! I'm sure 80-plus% of the buyers will rarely use the Thar's 4wd capabilities, if at all. A majority of customers are buying this as a "lifestyle" vehicle - a 4x4 jeep, something that stands out from the crowd of Seltos', Creata's, Brezza's, etc. But no one would have envisaged that the market was literally starving for such kind of a vehicle and sad to say, MSIL has missed the bus pretty bad here with the Jimny.

Kudos to Mahindra, yet again! Now only if they can iron out all niggles ASAP and ensure a "lifestyle" after-sales experience as well

Last edited by cool_dube : 17th December 2020 at 18:47.
cool_dube is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th December 2020, 18:43   #790
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
This unexpected scenario clearly goes on to show that Mahindra has tapped into this absolute "white space" in the Indian automobile canvas, and how! I'm sure 80-plus% of the buyers will rarely use the Thar's 4wd capabilities, if at all. A majority of customers are buying this as a "lifestyle" vehicle - a 4x4 jeep, something that stands out from the crowd of Seltos', Creata's, Brezza's, etc. But no one would have envisaged that the market was literally starving for such kind of a vehicle and sad to say, MSIL has missed the bus pretty bad here with the Jimny.

Kudos to Mahindra, yet again! Now only if they can iron out all niggles ASAP and ensure a "lifestyle" after-sales service as well
I can also visualize a sort of American Lifestyle / Punjabi Songs shot in the Uk / US where a lot of huge bigger than life size vehicles like the Jeep Wrangler / Hummer / Escalade's etc have been the dream of every boy / man. Suddenly you have Mahindra who managed to pull it off by making a hugely broader / wider car on a superb frame and an excellent engine and all those decades of making 4x4 vehicles and lo behold you got yourself the Thar 2020.

I am driving constantly everyday for 60 - 80 km's without fail. I am nearing the 2000 km mark and not a single instance goes by when I don't look back at the vehicle and it puts a sly grin on my face.

Anyways here is something I just saw on Instagram . looks amazing in White Color. Now why doesn't M&M launch this color.

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20201217-18.36.36.jpeg
vkochar is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 17th December 2020, 19:47   #791
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkochar View Post
Anyways here is something I just saw on Instagram . looks amazing in White Color. Now why doesn't M&M launch this color.

Attachment 2094174
For a sucker for black coloured cars - I would have probably become a convert just for this one had it been an official palette!! This colour and a 7-slat grill... YUMMY!
ph03n!x is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th December 2020, 20:23   #792
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
For a sucker for black coloured cars - I would have probably become a convert just for this one had it been an official palette!! This colour and a 7-slat grill... YUMMY!
Contact your neighborhood state Mods of Mods own Country, and wrap it, you'll not regret.

I'll suggest you to wait a couple of months, where you will have options to choose from.
Vinod_nair is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2020, 02:48   #793
BHPian

Can anybody shed some light on:

1. Gear ratios of the new thar as compared to the older one
and other off-roaders,

2. Off road capabilities with stock tyres and the new chassis,

3. M-hawk engine performance as compared to the Scorpio's?
Old 18th December 2020, 07:47   #794
Senior - BHPian

Here is a proper side look of the white modded thar.
It looks stunning.

So the mods have begun and the creative juices are going to go beserk on this hugely mod friendly suv.

It’s going to be an exciting time watching these.

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-d7600cc9f5a943cd878eee2931dd447c.png
vkochar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th December 2020, 08:07   #795
Senior - BHPian

Oh wow. White looks fab. And the side profile is just amazing.

I’m waiting for my Napoli Black. Like Phoenix, I’m a sucker too for black. And now I think that I would have gone ahead with White, if it was part of the launch.
jkrishnakj is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks