Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st December 2020, 18:25   #826
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peaky_blinder View Post
Found these pictures on Instagram and boy' oh boy these got my heart racing!! The size is 35/12.5 R17. I think it looks great but I feel it needed a lift kit or at least a leveling kit.

I also have my doubts about the practical aspect of these with regard to the gearing ratio and the additional weight on the spare tire mount leading to rattles.
These look great - no doubt. But will these not make the car more bouncy?
Old 21st December 2020, 18:26   #827
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Found these pictures on Instagram and boy' oh boy these got my heart racing!! The size is 35/12.5 R17. I think it looks great but I feel it needed a lift kit or at least a leveling kit.

I also have my doubts about the practical aspect of these with regard to the gearing ratio and the additional weight on the spare tire mount leading to rattles.
I agree they look fantastic but won’t they interfere with the fender while articulation. It will definitely need a lift-kit. Also rearward visibility goes for a toss with that massive spare wheel, even more need for a rear view camera.

Last edited by CEF_Beasts : 21st December 2020 at 18:28.
Old 21st December 2020, 23:03   #828
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
These look great - no doubt. But will these not make the car more bouncy?
Probably! It will also lurch around a lot more at higher speeds. But I personally won't mind that as I would just file those qualms under the column of 'Its a jeep thing'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEF_Beasts View Post
I agree they look fantastic but won’t they interfere with the fender while articulation. It will definitely need a lift-kit. Also rearward visibility goes for a toss with that massive spare wheel, even more need for a rear view camera.
Yes I am sure these would touch the fenders while articulating over off road terrain. Rearward visibility problem can be solved with a camera. The biggest problem would be procuring a lift, the tyres(thanks to the import ban) and levelling kit for the vehicle and to see if it needs regearing? Can GTO please shed some light on these topics?
Old 22nd December 2020, 04:54   #829
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdiSinghV12 View Post
That's awesome to know. Sorry couldn't PM you for more details as the option isn't available in your profile yet so could you let me know any more details on the same as I think it'll overall be informative for the thread and forum as there is absolutely zero news about Petrol Manual 2020 Thar anywhere on the internet. BTW, congrats on booking the beast!
Hey AdiSinghV12!

I will be contacting my SA over the course of this week for an update and will try to milk further information on the Thar Petrol MT deliveries and feedbacks if any.
Would like to congratulate you too on your booking, and I strongly believe that a petrol MT is quite the sensible choice.
Capt.Arun is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2020, 14:29   #830
GTO
Team-BHP Support

The Thar came back for a test-drive! I've been wanting to drive the MT, so a drive in that is going to be happening shortly.

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-thar.jpg
GTO is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2020, 15:06   #831
Senior - BHPian

Checked out the Thar while I had to drop in at the local Mahindra dealership for official vehicle work. Saw 3 Thars. One silver vehicle had arrived for service and 2 blacks waiting for delivery. Dealer said 60% of cars sold is black. Red next. Was there another day for followup and they finally had a red display car inside dealership. On my first visit a week prior I was told a 7 month waiting period. On my subsequent visit was told 8 months. I like what I see but I did catch some rough edges around the cabin on the top spec models. That and the bumpy ride quality didn't fit my bill. The base AX isn't up for orders allegedly.

The photos were taken from my height so the car may look smaller than it is. Speaking of height, even my 6 ft 3 frame found ingress egress a bit of a chore since the floor sits high. Couldn't even swing my legs into driver seat because somebody who sat in one left it up high. Ergonomics felt okay. The seats somehow didn't feel as comfortable as say the Creta's.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20201215_115730.jpg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20201215_115740.jpg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20201216_152135.jpg  

Last edited by Nithesh_M : 22nd December 2020 at 15:08.
Nithesh_M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2020, 17:10   #832
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The Thar came back for a test-drive! I've been wanting to drive the MT, so a drive in that is going to be happening shortly.
I guess it is a diesel. Would love to get some feedback on the petrol M/T from any quarter.
cool_dube is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2020, 18:02   #833
Senior - BHPian

I follow few pages of prominent Tyre & Alloy dealers of North India, I am appalled to see number of new Thar owners opting for 20", 22".
BANDHAV is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2020, 18:38   #834
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BANDHAV View Post
I follow few pages of prominent Tyre & Alloy dealers of North India, I am appalled to see number of new Thar owners opting for 20", 22".
Looks like with the new Thar, some superhumans are opting for 24s as well (and that too quite a few). 20s suddenly looks so sensible
Old 22nd December 2020, 18:55   #835
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdiSinghV12 View Post
Looks like with the new Thar, some superhumans are opting for 24s as well (and that too quite a few). 20s suddenly looks so sensible
Yes, I saw few on 24s too.

This came to my mind when I first saw it.

New Thar Owner: Have you seen those Thar Toy ride on?

Alloy guy: Say no more.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20201222_184825.jpg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20201125_140739.jpg  

Last edited by BANDHAV : 22nd December 2020 at 18:56.
BANDHAV is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2020, 19:41   #836
Senior - BHPian

My father saw the new Thar on road for the first time. He could easily make out that this is much bigger than current variant. I agreed with men when I suggested that 5-door version will be better utility.

Interestingly, he guessed the price of top end variant to be around 25 lakhs (coming from a person who can gauge & rate the quality, etc of Toyota, Tata, Maruti, Hyundai, & Ford). I corrected him by informing him that top end variant is over 15 lakhs in our place.

I guess his compliments for the vehicle imply approval.
CARDEEP is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2020, 00:58   #837
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
One doubt though - Bunny Punia mentions that one benefit BS6 diesel vehicles is that they start without any issues in cold temperatures. Any idea what is the technical reason for it?
Yep, he goes on to compare with his XUV 500 and says that it had starting issues. I am heading to -10 degrees soon (North Sikkim) and while I am almost done with the process of getting Snow chains for my Thar, I expect diesel to freeze overnight at those temps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipstream11 View Post
The recommended diesel type is commercially available vehicular Ultra-low Sulfur Highway Diesel that meets the BIS standard (IS 1460; 2017 BS VI specification or equivalent).

During freezing weather if the fuel is not winterized or is insufficiently winterized, waxing/gelling may take place in the fuel, leading to interruption in fuel supply to the engine. For smooth functioning and reliable operation of the engine during cold weather conditions, use winterized ULSD.

This is what the manual states. Guess, Bunny Punia followed it to the T!!
Can you let me know which page of the manual states the same?

I was looking for Diesel Antifreeze additives that lower the freezing point like WURTH Winter Diesel Treatment ANTIGEL Antifreeze available on Amazon India but the delivery time is too much. I could not get a similar additive locally in Kolkata. I called up Service Center and they said that generally fuel pumps in the extreme North provide winterized diesel (fingers crossed).
I also heard about adding 5-10% Kerosene to Diesel in Winter climates, but that would probably be my last resort. Any suggestions are welcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
When I visited the showroom I was surprised to see he had all the colours in display except Galaxy Grey.
Dada, check with NR Autos. They had a Grey one parked at their Auropota Service Center's roof (previously Mohan Motors).

Quote:
Found these pictures on Instagram and boy' oh boy these got my heart racing!! The size is 35/12.5 R17.
Can you share the link?
Old 23rd December 2020, 09:26   #838
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneLivingLife View Post
Can you let me know which page of the manual states the same?

I have highlighted the portion that talks about the usage of winterized fuel (not sure about the page#). Have also shared the link to the online manual.

https://storagewyh.blob.core.windows...er-manual.html

Note the caution where it says NOT to add kerosene.

You may also want to call up the gas station up at your destination to check the availability of ULSD.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-fuel.png  

Slipstream11 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2020, 11:31   #839
Senior - BHPian

Mahindra Thar older testing models in white colour with side opening rear window

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-fb_img_16087032195998506.jpg

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-fb_img_16087032247336016.jpg

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-fb_img_16087032152277579.jpg

Source : Rushlane
Venkatesh is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2020, 13:20   #840
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
Mahindra Thar older testing models in white colour with side opening rear window
Source : Rushlane
They need to do road test for these cosmetic changes? Hoping they are fixing niggles (if any) found out till now as well.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks