Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th January 2021, 04:54   #961
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peaky_blinder View Post
It seems that the bonnet opening issue is getting more and more common.
From video, the Thar has a bonnet release lever near the driver footwell like all other vehicles.

However, the Thar doesn't have a secondary release lever below the bonnet that would be robust enough to hold the bonnet from popping open at speeds even if the primary lever is open.

Instead it just has those left and right clipper lock that is not strong enough to hold the bonnet at higher speeds in case the primary release lever is open.

This is a serious and dangerous issue and should be addressed on priority, they have to provide a secondary metal lever under the bonnet to hold it from accidentally popping open at speeds.

Last edited by for_cars1 : 7th January 2021 at 04:55.
for_cars1 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th January 2021, 05:14   #962
BHPian

The Flying Bonnet.
For now I will indefinitely postpone the delivery of my Thar.

This video clearly explains the possibility of why bonnet is flying.
Quote:
  • Bonnet has been opened from Inside. No visible changes near the bonnet.
  • There is no secondary release like in all the cars. The external latches are the holding the bonnet in place when it is unlocked. Externally it looks like the bonnet is locked
  • When one touches speeds > 80kmph, the bonnet starts lifting and the latches fail
  • Voila you have the flying bonnet
Now this is a recipe for disaster as people won't even realize the car bonnet has been opened from the inside.

3 cases out of a possible 4000 odd cars is too high a safety factor. These drivers have been extremely lucky that none of them were involved in a major collision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
I agree to this - unless someone did not close the bonnet properly, or managed to find the not-so-easy-to-unknowingly-open latch in the driver's side and left the latch open too (or closed improperly) this is not an easy possibility.
ph03n!x, above video explains the possibility of this happening. My worry is the odds are too high for it to be ignored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
To be fair both these can't happen without someone tampering with the lock and latch. To have a dual step bonnet lock unlock on its own and then the clips opening up is definitely human act.
The video clearly shows how easy it is to miss if the bonnet is locked.

Now I feel in all these cases, the one closing the boot would not even realize that the boot did not lock properly. There is no tampering per se. It is a serious design flaw that needs to be addressed.

The inspiration Jeep Wrangler has the mechanism as below. The side latches look sturdy. Did anyone read such instances of flying bonnet with the Wrangler

How is it in the older Thar.

Last edited by indian21r : 7th January 2021 at 05:30. Reason: added the Jeep Bonnet release
indian21r is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 7th January 2021, 08:45   #963
Distinguished - BHPian

An immediate solution to the hood locking issue could be to implement tougher latches. Does not require any electrical or sensor modifications or design changes to the engine bay layout. The latches can be replaced easily with minimal drilling, with larger tougher bolts and maybe even a black painted metal latch instead of plastic. Then test the cars to high speeds up to the top speed of the car over windy sections. Roll it out through a recall while still continuing to identify a sensor solution to provide an audible indication or one on the infotainment system ( as it would be difficult to add a new indicator or warning lamp to the instrument console)
84.monsoon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2021, 09:07   #964

Quote:
Congrats on the new buy, wishing you many happy miles! What colour/ top/ gearbox?
The rear fogs are actually the same integrated tail lamps - the red (stop) light glows continuously when you turn on the fogs. I too realized this much later
AT HT Diesel in Aquamarine. Chose aquamarine cause I noticed it was rarer in comparison to the popular options like Black and Red, and for sentimental reasons with respect to previous car ownership.

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img20210105wa0011.jpg

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img20210105wa0012.jpg

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20201231_172429.jpg
iamjoelj is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 7th January 2021, 09:11   #965
BHPian

To all 2020 Thar owners, please get a hook welded and padlock to secure the hood as a peace of mind, (this was done by owners of old gen M&M Jeeps, even the earlier Thar's).
Vinod_nair is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2021, 11:33   #966
BHPian

Instead of getting hooks welded on the outside or making such changes we may use a carabiner hook attached to a metal string which is bolted to the hood (or welded) and attached to some support under the engine bay, which will have to be unhooked to open the hood fully. This shall prevent the hood from opening fully in case the locks fail. So a 3 step lock will be in place and this will also be cheaper and require no mods on the exterior (imo).
pariyadav is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th January 2021, 12:04   #967
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
It seems that the bonnet opening issue is getting more and more common.

https://Youtu.be/0qJIwqW73OU

Damn, I did not open the hood myself so never realized this! The easiest solution is to throw away the stock latches on the side and fix better ones.

Something like this
Name:  Screenshot 20210107 at 12.05.09.png
Views: 2487
Size:  111.8 KB

Last edited by Jaggu : 7th January 2021 at 12:05.
Jaggu is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 7th January 2021, 12:34   #968
Distinguished - BHPian

If the bonnet center latch is released from inside, you have to walk outside lift the bonnet a bit and let it fall into the latch and lock itself , afterwards pull up the hood to make sure its latched. This is how it is done on all vehicles.

In Thar you have to lock the external bonnet catches on either sides as well, but I dont think the bonnet will fly off into the windshield even side catches are open.

If everything is left open , then yes, surely it will fly off into the windshield, solution (apart from the obvious) is to have a Bonnet with a hinge at the front. But then you cannot use the bonnet to protect the windshield while operating the winch.
Kosfactor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2021, 12:57   #969
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinod_nair View Post
...please get a hook welded and padlock to secure the hood as a peace of mind...
Quote:
Originally Posted by pariyadav View Post
Instead of getting hooks welded on the outside or making such changes we may use a carabiner hook attached to a metal string which is bolted to the hood (or welded) and attached to some support under the engine bay, which will have to be unhooked to open the hood fully...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
...The easiest solution is to throw away the stock latches on the side and fix better ones...
Well, this is one of my checks - open the latches, open the bonnet to take a look-see, drop it down to lock it, ensure it is locked, and then snap on the latches. I do this at least once a week as a practice (even in my earlier vehicles). NEVER open the bonnect using the lever inside the cabin WITHOUT unlatching the side latches first.

Until there is a solution to this problem that is viable, I suggest everyone to do this check. I am also exploring having a switch connected to the door-open circuit, but that is a challenge because the hood does not lift when it is unlocked with the lever but the latch is still on. I will update my findings.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
...In Thar you have to lock the external bonnet catches on either sides as well, but I dont think the bonnet will fly off into the windshield even side catches are open.

If everything is left open , then yes, surely it will fly off into the windshield, solution (apart from the obvious) is to have a Bonnet with a hinge at the front. But then you cannot use the bonnet to protect the windshield while operating the winch.
The problem is other way around - the latches are locked but the primary lock is unlocked using the lever inside the cabin. This leaves the side latches alone to hold the bonnet from flying off - which it will at speeds.

A secondary release mechanism (like normal cars) in the primary lock will not affect opening the bonnet up to protect the windshield. Lets see...
ph03n!x is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th January 2021, 13:20   #970
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I am also exploring having a switch connected to the door-open circuit, but that is a challenge because the hood does not lift when it is unlocked with the lever but the latch is still on. I will update my findings.
See if the switch can be rigged up at the bonnet lock itself, if so that will show if the lock has been pulled, even with latches on.
Jaggu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2021, 13:36   #971
AZT
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
I am still awaiting my refund despite regular followup via Tweets to Mahindra. They replied once, asked for details on DM and gone silent.

What are the options? Should I start a new thread? Are there more members like me? Honestly, a company sitting with thousands of booking and not making refunds for small booking amounts, just not fair and expected. Mahindra has taken the advance via card, how difficult is for them to simply deduct cancellation charges and credit back to the card?
Maybe start a new thread. Too many comments on here and yours gets lost out. There should be more people like you, looking at the increasing waiting period.
Old 7th January 2021, 14:31   #972
Distinguished - BHPian

So the Thar is available for rental as seen in this video.

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-screenshot_20210107143349.jpg
BoneCollector is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th January 2021, 16:09   #973
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
ZoomCar Chandigarh has always had the Thar in their fleet. Good to see the new gen Thar as well.
//M is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th January 2021, 16:53   #974
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
Is it a rental Thar? I think he has bought the Thar.
Old 7th January 2021, 16:56   #975
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
Is it a rental Thar? I think he has bought the Thar.

No, it's rented from RBTS based in Chandigarh.
Pancham is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks