Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd January 2021, 00:30   #1096
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASP007 View Post
Thar spotted testing once again. Sans the Jeep type grill, the test mule looks pretty similar to the existing hard-top variant of the SUV. However, if you look closer you will notice that the roof is split into three segments in place of the two-piece unit found in the fixed hard-top variant.

Attachment 2111847

Attachment 2111848

Pic courtesy: Rushlane
Interesting. The real and important question for this thread if anyone could answer is;
1. Will Mahindra offer this removable hard top (front part) for the existing owners as it'd really be unfair to the current owners to not have it

2. Is anyone aware of an aftermarket development for removable front part of the hard top for the 2020 Thar (like the freedom top) ?

Last edited by vb-saan : 23rd January 2021 at 07:03. Reason: Typo
Old 23rd January 2021, 16:32   #1097
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdiSinghV12 View Post
1. Will Mahindra offer this removable hard top (front part) for the existing owners as it'd really be unfair to the current owners to not have it

2. Is anyone aware of an aftermarket development for removable front part of the hard top for the 2020 Thar (like the freedom top) ?
Exactly the questions I had!
They might offer this option to old customers who have a convertible as the convertible one already has hooks set in place at top of the windshield area and has 'C/T' (Convertible Top) written on the RC as well.
In so far as the after market options are concerned I reckon there should be options available in the market a few months down the line given the fact that Freedom Hardtop options were available for the previous Thar, no reason for the current Thar to miss out on the option.

If you look closely, it seems that the new convertible Hard top version has rear glass opening hinges at the bottom in contrast to the to the current Hard top model implying that the entire hard top comes off in new model like the Freedom top of the Wrangler.

I must add that these pictures have put me in a bit of a dilemma myself, since I booked the soft top convertible and was eagerly waiting for delivery in February after a lot of following up with the dealer.

Makes me wonder what would be the best course for people who have already booked the soft top convertible?
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-newmahindratharrear.jpg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-2021mahindratharconvertiblehardtopspiedtestinglaunch3600x305.jpg  

Peaky_blinder is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2021, 17:21   #1098
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peaky_blinder View Post
If you look closely, it seems that the new convertible Hard top version has rear glass opening hinges at the bottom in contrast to the to the current Hard top model implying that the entire hard top comes off in new model like the Freedom top of the Wrangler.
The hinge can't be at the bottom, M&M must have fixed the glass on the boot door with all this juggad M&M is attempting, wind water and noise will be another story.

Lage raho Munna Bhai.
Vinod_nair is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2021, 17:36   #1099
BHPian

Anand Mahindra decided to gift new Mahindra Thar to Indian cricketers Mohammed Siraj, Shradul Thakur, Shubhman Gill, T. Natrajan, Navdeep Saini and Sundar Washington for their exceptional performance in recent test series in Australia.

It'll be on personal expenses of Mr. Mahindra.

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-screenshot_20210123_125926.jpg

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-screenshot_20210123_125855.jpg

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-screenshot_20210123_125838.jpg

Source:

https://twitter.com/anandmahindra/st...440365056?s=19

https://twitter.com/anandmahindra/st...307806721?s=19

https://twitter.com/anandmahindra/st...252273666?s=19
UP!!!! is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2021, 17:55   #1100
Senior - BHPian

My non-delivery Update:

Booked : 4th October at Bangalore
CPD : 22nd Jan 2021

Couple of calls in the past from my side and I wasn’t getting any information. Texted / Called M&M ASM with no luck.

Called the ASM again on 22nd morning. No response, but I get a WA message from him that the new committed date is mid February.

Wrote back expressing my disappointment. And despite my note expressing myself albeit a bit terse, the response has been silence.

So... the wait continues. I’ve decided not to follow up.
jkrishnakj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2021, 19:15   #1101
BHPian

We had a long test drive today and payed booking amount for hard top - auto diesel.

Few observations to share:
1. My requirement is daily office commute 7 kms one way, through narrow and congested roads and weekend city outings. Almost no highway requirement. Twice yearly drive 200 kms to native in badly maintained state roads.
2. In first, second gears accelerating, audible turbo whistle sound, owned Verna and Ertiga Diesels, never heard turbo whistle this load. I know it is normal and due to inadequate insulation. But I did not see anyone mentioning it this thread, wondering if it is a particular case with the test vehicle.
3. Brakes are powerful, compared to any cars i had driven, but would have been nicer if the braking is linear and smooth in normal application. May be it is all about getting used to it.
4. Drove in congested and narrow roads, visibility is excellent all around, commanding seating position. Loved it. Left front edge is visible, so living with Thar in daily life should be easy.
5. Paint quality could have been better, demo car looked old already.
6. Manual gear lever is too tall, left hand felt uncomfortable after frequent gear changes.
7. Superb powerful engine
8. Carried both casual shoes and hiking boots, to test space near clutch, did not feel uncomfortable.
9. No issues with clutch travel or smoothness. i liked it.
vinbie2019 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2021, 19:34   #1102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by UP!!!! View Post
Anand Mahindra decided to gift new Mahindra Thar to Indian cricketers Mohammed Siraj, Shradul Thakur, Shubhman Gill, T. Natrajan, Navdeep Saini and Sundar Washington for their exceptional performance in recent test series in Australia.

It'll be on personal expenses of Mr. Mahindra.
but it will be some long waiting guy who booked in Oct who will get shafted as his car is turned over to the players to satisfy the ego of a twitter warrior.
lurker is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2021, 23:02   #1103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker View Post
but it will be some long waiting guy who booked in Oct who will get shafted as his car is turned over to the players to satisfy the ego of a twitter warrior.

That's alright I think. I am ok with getting pushed back in line if my car gets allotted to any of these Indian cricketers. It's a nice gesture and these new guys are extraordinary. What they did was astonishing and they deserve this.
Pancham is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 24th January 2021, 12:54   #1104
Senior - BHPian

Thar removable hard top (front part) spotted testing in Chennai

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-smartselect_20210124125209_instagram.jpg

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-smartselect_20210124125217_instagram.jpg

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-smartselect_20210124125226_instagram.jpg

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-smartselect_20210124125244_instagram.jpg

Link

Last edited by Venkatesh : 24th January 2021 at 12:56.
Venkatesh is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 24th January 2021, 13:49   #1105
BHPian

Interesting.
So they may be launching a new White colour variant too with it seems.
Saw a modded white Thar, which looked uber cool. Seems M&M have taken a cue from it.
Old 25th January 2021, 10:09   #1106
Senior - BHPian

Not much has been discussed here about the Thar's stock tires. Is it a good idea to swap them for BF Goodrich KO2s? Will it be too noisy or harsh for daily city use? Has anyone here got these tires for their new Thar?

P.S: Few posts back I had highlighted that the newly arrived Thars are coming with MRFs.
Old 25th January 2021, 11:14   #1107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
Not much has been discussed here about the Thar's stock tires. Is it a good idea to swap them for BF Goodrich KO2s? Will it be too noisy or harsh for daily city use? Has anyone here got these tires for their new Thar?

P.S: Few posts back I had highlighted that the newly arrived Thars are coming with MRFs.
In the below user review video (06:10), he says about the BF Goodrich tires.
He says that there is some tightness in the steering after upgrade.
Please excuse that the language is Malayalam.

Old 25th January 2021, 11:21   #1108
BHPian

Has anybody here added the radiator guard accessory to their new thar? How is the official mahindra one, quality wise? Here in Guwahati, the dealer has run out of all accessories, even floor mats and mudflaps are not available. So thinking of ordering the radiator guard, either from Mahindra or bimbra/prad ones.
Any input will be helpful.
Old 25th January 2021, 12:00   #1109
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
That's alright I think. I am ok with getting pushed back in line if my car gets allotted to any of these Indian cricketers. It's a nice gesture and these new guys are extraordinary. What they did was astonishing and they deserve this.
I see a good side and a bad side of how Anand Mahindra has approached this. He is the non-executive chairman of the company so he cannot directly make a decision to award the cars on the company's behalf without the Board approving. He could have made the company give the awards, in which case it would have to be announced by Mahindra & Mahindra Auto and not directly by him. He has made a good call and set a good example on the Governance front by funding these cars personally. It is is a very good win-win-win bet for spending about 1 crore - a great gesture to recognize these heroes who deserve it 100%, getting a lot of positive publicity for himself & the group, as well as massive image boost for the new Thar.

However, the part about pleading with the company to give the cars on priority could have been left out IMO, and worked behind the scenes - it could make a lot of people waiting eagerly for the car for months (and are not interested or engaged with cricket - believe me, there are a lot of people like that in India today unlike their India of 80s where it was sacrilegious not to be immersed in cricket every single day if you are an Indian)
84.monsoon is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 25th January 2021, 12:50   #1110
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
My non-delivery Update:
There is an issue with central infotainment unit availability (shortage rather) and I believe now the vehicles are getting dispatched without that to the dealer and then the dealer waits for stocks of that unit to fix and deliver. So the painful wait may continue a little longer for all.

But still sad to see that the communication part is not being taken care off!
Jaggu is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks