Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th November 2020, 12:24   #481
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
Wrong comparison!!

Please find below the correct one. There is just a 10mm increment in sidewall which isn't much at all. 30mm width increase is another matter along with the unsprung weight increase due to the heavy BFG tire. Those are more important points than sidewall.
OE tire is around 15 kgs...BFG is around 25 kgs. Plus 10 kgs of unsprung weight is not advisable. IMHO.
drjones is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th November 2020, 12:32   #482
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjones View Post
OE tire is around 15 kgs...BFG is around 25 kgs. Plus 10 kgs of unsprung weight is not advisable. IMHO.
+ 1, and the first thing to affect would be the braking in an already not so great set up. More than the AT pattern the weight just messes up the braking efficiency.

Have to be careful with front axles during offroad, if they get stuck and try to power too much, one runs a high risk of busting the CV. Has happened a lot to prev gen Thar and I don't see this to have changed for the current one. Even the overall OD change was very high, which will inturn affect the overall drivability of the vehicle.
Jaggu is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th November 2020, 12:47   #483
Senior - BHPian

So I am expecting my Thar to be delivered this weekend as it has left the factory from the most recent update.

Waiting for it now very eagerly.

A quick question to all the owners here who have taken delivery already - any accessories update ? I was informed about the Dark Lord pack for 26k and am not sure I want to get that.
Old 18th November 2020, 20:48   #484
BHPian

Finally, I got to see my Thar in flesh at NR Autos, Kolkata
It arrived on 16th November and bears a serial no of 1752
But, the Odo reading is 242 kms which seems too much.

Upon enquiring, the sales guy says that the Thars are being delivered by railways this time and the first batch of Thars for NR Autos had arrived to Kalaikonda near Kharagpur.

From there it was driven to Kolkata Workshop at Mohan Motors Mahindra which is around 142 kms. Still doesn't add up!! They say during PDI it has to be driven for tests and a few trips from the Workshop to the Showroom which is around 10 kms. Even then that doesn't add up to 242 kms.

To check the other Thars they had received, I went to their workshop and the others 2 Thars had their Odo reading between 232-238 kms. I am confused! Is the odometer reading of 242 kms fine?

Tires seemed pretty new for sure. Here are a few pics:
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img_20201118_143202.jpg

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img_20201118_143409.jpg

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img_20201118_143659.jpg

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img_20201118_145421.jpg

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img_20201118_151952.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
The hook part of the hood doesn't seem to be painted, not sure if other cars are also coming out of the assembly line like this -
Yes, hook part of hood isn't painted.
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img_20201118_145219.jpg

Last edited by OneLivingLife : 18th November 2020 at 21:17. Reason: Small edit
OneLivingLife is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 18th November 2020, 21:18   #485
BHPian

Firstly congratulations on seeing your beast. My booking is of the same colour so felt very nice to see one in pics.

242 kms surely is very high and why will a Kolkata dealer unload cars at kalaikunda? Unless they are delivering few in kharagpur also, well kharagpur itself is a big yard. But good you checked other vehicles also. Since all are showing similar odo numbers, I am sure its a common theme and not an issue with your car. That atleast should save you the worry of any issue in your vehicle.

Hope others can put some more light on this.

Hope all goes fine and you have a troublefree delivery and ownership.

One question though, why was your pdi done on the side of a road?

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 18th November 2020 at 22:38. Reason: Typos
Old 18th November 2020, 21:53   #486
BHPian

I own the previous generation Thar for last 5 years and 60K kms (Thread Fourknotfour) and a close friend of mine is booking the new Thar and we went for an extended TD last week on road and off road. My observations.
1. The build quality especially front interiors is much better but not as good as any same segment vehicle.
2. The rear fit and finish on the top end too lacked finesse which is not good.
3. On road handling is better especially braking department.
4. Off road I did some river crossing and some steep slushy roads. Didn’t see any much improvement rather had a tough time climbing some areas where I easily do on mine with Yokohama AT. The body roll pitch etc on off road is comparable with the outgoing thar. Visibility is reduced even for a tall person like me and seat is too high even at lowest my head almost touching the roof. Power is good but low end is comparable.
5. The wide body will need it to be considered as a bigger vehicle while doing narrow areas. MLD was effective and same amount of jerkiness noticed. Couldn’t make out the ELD.
6. The front seat mechanism for tumbling was stuck in the TD vehicle which was not a good sign. The rear seat and comfort is good and commendable. I didn’t have trouble fitting comfortably with another person.
7. The two major issues I have i.e. luggage space and rear ingress with tumbling persists so I didn’t think it was an upgrade worth considering.
8. For prospective buyers shying away for the Thar if you are going to be 2 people most of the time like me its a wonderful machine. If you frequently have more than 2 and lot of luggage then think twice.
9. Can anyone measure the distance between the two hinges in the front door? They have accessories as a step. I am wondering if it will fit my fourknotfour.
Dr_MNC_SK is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th November 2020, 23:31   #487

Got hold of the beast finally! Diesel AT, booked on 1st October at Sireesh Auto Bangalore. Will post my experience once I get to cover some distance. No new complaints or niggles other than what has already been mentioned by many.

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-ae366be5408c4a859a96330b14a0af31.jpeg

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-c430ae4b178b409f84ce86adc9ed2aed.jpeg
JoCar is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 19th November 2020, 00:23   #488
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneLivingLife View Post
Finally, I got to see my Thar in flesh at NR Autos, Kolkata.

Wait. You could check other Mahindra vehicles (non Thar) in the yard. It could well be that they are giving out these Thar for test drive. Who knows. One more thing. Is NR Autos owned by Mohan motors ?
Old 19th November 2020, 08:49   #489
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by justwheels View Post
One question though, why was your pdi done on the side of a road?
The sales guy called me to have the PDI done at the showroom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
Wait. You could check other Mahindra vehicles (non Thar) in the yard. It could well be that they are giving out these Thar for test drive. Who knows. One more thing. Is NR Autos owned by Mohan motors ?
Nope, I did not check other Non Thar vehicles there. Since April 2020, Mohan Motors has been taken over by NR Autos.
Old 19th November 2020, 09:17   #490
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Nope, I did not check other Non Thar vehicles there. Since April 2020, Mohan Motors has been taken over by NR Autos.
Dear OneLivingLife, I will stay away because:

1. Its Mohan Motors
2. 250Kms on the ODO.
3. In the past, these two factors have been correlated.

So, despite getting my much awaited Thar on time, I will stay away.

However, if all their Non-Thar vehicles are similarly ODO-ed, I may agree to believe them and go ahead.

Just my 2 cents.
Pancham is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th November 2020, 09:41   #491
BHPian

Quote:
Finally, I got to see my Thar in flesh at NR Autos, Kolkata
It arrived on 16th November and bears a serial no of 1752
But, the Odo reading is 242 kms which seems too much.
In absolute terms 242 clicks on the odo is high. And as you rightly said, the distance between kalaikunda and the workshop is under 150 and even if you add a bit of local testing - it's still a bit iffy.

I checked with Shree Mahindra on VIP road near Kaikhali to see if they are aware of such logistics, they responded 'no'. A Thar being readied for delivery at their premises had an odo read of under 50 kms.

These things you will never know as to who is speaking the truth, just go by your instincts. I hope your experience is seamless and your car is spot on.
Slipstream11 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2020, 10:30   #492
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipstream11 View Post
In absolute terms 242 clicks on the odo is high. And as you rightly said, the distance between kalaikunda and the workshop is under 150 and even if you add a bit of local testing - it's still a bit iffy.
It's possible IF the vehicle had some problems as it arrived from the factory to the dealer lot. They may hook up their Tough Book and run diagnostics over a significant number of kms before clearing it for delivery. I saw this happening to a new Thar in Bangalore last week.
Kosfactor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2020, 10:42   #493
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
It's possible IF the vehicle had some problems as it arrived from the factory to the dealer lot. They may hook up their Tough Book and run diagnostics over a significant number of kms before clearing it for delivery. I saw this happening to a new Thar in Bangalore last week.
Agreed.
However, in this particular context two other Thars with the same dealer bear similar odo reads.
And if indeed the vehicle had an issue which was subsequently worked upon and cleared for delivery, I wonder if any dealer would be honest enough to disclose this to the buyer. And if they do, it would play on the buyer's mind as to whether he/she is getting a niggle-free vehicle after all - it would bother me for sure.
Slipstream11 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2020, 17:18   #494
Senior - BHPian

Pray it is not one of the freedom drive Thar's. Sorry, did not mean to spoil the mood. Should be okay, but the dealer ought to give you a justification. You should counter them that the math simply doesn't add up.
Old 19th November 2020, 17:43   #495
BHPian

I suggest not to accept a car with 240 km in ODO while you are paying full price for a brand new car. For me, anything above 15kms on ODO is simply not acceptable while buying a brand new car.
highwaypatrol is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks