Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 13th November 2020, 17:40   #451
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilt View Post
Yes, but are the MRFs All-Terrain like the custom-designed CEATs or are they Highway-Terrain? i could not see the markings clearly on the tyre to tell.

Cheers
The pattern of the MRF Wanderer in that pic is A/T. And it seems to be custom made because it's not currently available in 255/65 R18.
ph03n!x is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th November 2020, 18:15   #452
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipstream11 View Post

Haven't seen the shade in person and none of the dealers within my reach have them as show/TD vehicle, nor has anyone booked it for me to see it in-person during delivery.
The baner dealership on the first lot of its deliveries had 2-3 rocky beige THARs parked outside along with 2-3 red ones. It looked quite nice in the flesh.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-c390b6bd08e74500ab42e932b562cfa1.jpeg  

Last edited by Axe77 : 13th November 2020 at 18:19.
Axe77 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 13th November 2020, 19:58   #453
BHPian

Congrats and good to see Mahindra providing some features along with the sheer AWD experience.
Old 14th November 2020, 00:21   #454
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by justwheels View Post
It all started with the enthusiasm behind the Thar launch, and then the wait for prices, during which convincing myself and family if we could keep the Thar and live with it.

Launch happened and I wanted to see it before booking (my bad) and I only ended up doing a TD 10 days later and booking it on 12 Oct, only to get a CPD of 17 March later changed to 8 April.

Why am I giving all these details, well because this delay is causing a lot of angst and the more I read people's comments, the more irrational the decision looks. This delay is not helping and I am doing everything to let the heart win this one.

Now the question is, if not Thar, then what? What car will give a road presence of the Thar, uniqueness of a true SUV, a real 4x4 (not a gimmicky AWD) for those planned trips to Sandakphu, Spiti etc. and the charm of ownership. The only other vehicle that makes me drool is a Ford Endeavour, but that's many many lakhs costlier and even more costly to live with. For those recommending going pre-owned route, I live in Bangalore where depreciation works on a very different formula seems, making it costly for good finds.
Am I being irrational to the core?

What's the nearest alternative to a Thar?
Preowned Toyota fortuner or Ford endeavour is best option, try to find one under 70k kms should not be a big issue.
abnormalspirit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2020, 00:35   #455
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
If you are cross-shopping across Thar and Endeavour/Fortuner, you need to go back to the drawing board, my friend These are two completely different segments, not only from a price standpoint but from a purpose standpoint too! And yes, using either of those big 7-seater monsters as daily drives in a city like Bangalore is going to be a big pain, A/T notwithstanding.

What's more, it will be a great daily drive in city too.

Hope this helps!
I completely agree the two vehicles are class apart and cannot and should not be compared. I really wasn't comparing or cross shopping, only stating that after Thar the only car I drool over is an Endy that can fulfill the same dreams. But living with the two is a completely different ball game.

I will find Thar much easier to drive within city anyday compared to an Endeavour and it will be a waste of space as most of the times it will be only used as a 2 seater.

So for now, as many have advised, the heart continues to win and I continue to wait, meanwhile oogling the other tbhp'ians having their Thar delivered.
Old 14th November 2020, 09:11   #456
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneLivingLife View Post
Here's a good update from my end. I booked the Thar on 3rd Oct (Kolkata) and was mailed a promised delivery date of 3rd December by the dealer. A few days ago they kept saying that the date might get postponed by a couple of weeks.

Today, the showroom guy calls me to say that my Thar would be dispatched in 2 days by Mahindra and I would probably receive the vehicle by November end.

The dealer would get to know the chassis number and other details as soon as it is dispatched.
I'm so excited. Will keep updating.
Hi. Any update on your delivery date. Is it still unchanged? Also, which dealer did you book from?

Last edited by Pancham : 14th November 2020 at 09:12.
Old 14th November 2020, 10:20   #457
BHPian

Re: Accessories for the Thar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
Hi. Any update on your delivery date. Is it still unchanged? Also, which dealer did you book from?
They mailed me a date of 2nd-3rd Dec initially. As per the last call, delivery date has been preponed by almost a week. My Thar has been dispatched and they are waiting to receive it in a few days.
I booked from N.R. Autos and was among the first few to have booked from their dealership.

Oddly enough, they also communicated to me a 8 digit Chassis No and a 10 digit Engine No as reference. I asked them for the full numbers but they said, even they don't have it yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuderiaferrari View Post
Finally, got the delivery of my Galaxy Grey Hard Top Diesel Automatic last night, and have since done 200+ kms in the first few hours.
5. Availability of accessories - Reverse camera is a must, and dealer doesnt have an official accessory in stock.
Congrats!
For the reverse Camera, their official reverse camera in the accessory list is a good choice. I thought of getting the same but the 70mai rearview mirror with the camera seems to be a far better option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
So a reversing camera is a must for this car. And having a dual-channel dash cam like the 70mai Rearview Dash Cam, or the DDPAI Mola E3 is what has caught my fancy. These two models have a feature to continuously stream the rear camera to the rear-view mirror, so that rear-view even normal driving is not hampered - something like this:
Attachment 2073440
I am now considering to get this 70mai rearview mirror camera instead of their official accessory.

For the past few days, I also tried to find out if any reliable brands are making 360 car cameras but there seem to be none. A few youtube videos have shown 360 cam installations on various cars, but their output and stitching does not seem to be up to the mark. Aligning the 4 cameras together is a task.
Here in Kolkata too, I did not find any store yet, who has installed an aftermarket 360 camera.
Something like this seems enticing (Checkout that video at the bottom of the page) - https://www.bosch-mobility-solutions...camera-system/
OneLivingLife is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th November 2020, 10:28   #458
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
Same booking and initial delivery dates for me - got changed to 31st Dec on Monday, but got a call last evening that it'll reach by mid-November - if not for Diwali then right after.

Mine is a LX CT AT Diesel Black.
So, what's your update? When is it being delivered and from which dealer did you book it from?
Old 14th November 2020, 14:46   #459
BHPian

Re: Accessories for the Thar

Quote:
For the reverse Camera, their official reverse camera in the accessory list is a good choice. I thought of getting the same but the 70mai rearview mirror with the camera seems to be a far better option.
The 70mai camera indeed looks neat. I just hope it's wiring is really as simple as they have shown it to be in their installation video.
Old 14th November 2020, 16:35   #460
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am now considering to get this 70mai rearview mirror camera instead of their official accessory
I'm waiting for the DDPAI Mola E3 - Only difference between 70mai and DDPAI is that the DDPAI has an optional hardwire option that'll also enable parked vehicle monitoring (70mai doesn't have this option, checked with the distributor).
Quote:
So, what's your update? When is it being delivered and from which dealer did you book it from?
I've booked it in CAI Mahindra, Coimbatore. The Thar should've reached the yard today, but today is a holiday here. I'll probably take delivery on Thursday (19th Nov).

Last edited by ph03n!x : 14th November 2020 at 17:03.
ph03n!x is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th November 2020, 23:00   #461
BHPian

Is any body planning to upsize tyre to like 285/60, is it a good or bad idea? I just saw a post on facebook today where someone posted BFGoodrich AT 285/60/18, this has got me thinking about it. Here are the pictures that I saw.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-screenshot_20201115225518345_com.android.chrome.jpg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-screenshot_20201115225834814_com.android.chrome.jpg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-screenshot_20201115225829661_com.android.chrome.jpg  

pariyadav is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 15th November 2020, 23:28   #462
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuderiaferrari View Post
1. Interestingly, you can pull out the keys even in gear - my first AT where you could do this - be it Reverse, Drive or Neutral. Not sure if the car can be cranked as well in gear (didn't want to try it.) Can anyone confirm if this is the case whether it was in the car @GTO tried or anyone who has received their ATs
Congratulations, and thank you for some interesting preview feedbacks. Does this mean that you can leave the car in neutral, turn off ignition and lock the car? This can be a boon for tight parking scenarios.
Old 16th November 2020, 01:43   #463
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pariyadav View Post
Is any body planning to upsize tyre to like 285/60, is it a good or bad idea? I just saw a post on facebook today where someone posted BFGoodrich AT 285/60/18,
GTO during his first drive report had earlier mentioned that Thar isn't a great handler, even more so with the 18 inchers. It's not a car designed for handling anyways.

Quote:
For the sake of your safety – and that of your passengers – this is not a vehicle that you drive hard or aggressively. The Thar is a tall offroader, NOT a corner-carving machine. While I found the grip levels from the fat 255 mm tyres to be satisfactory, you must take corners cautiously. The height & weight are felt. Just to put things in perspective, a fast sweeping expressway curve that I would take in the Duster AWD at 120 km/h, I’d take in the Thar at 80 km/h as an expert driver (70 km/h for a layman driver)
By moving to 285/60/18 , you are taking the sidewall height even further and thereby the wheel dia. Hence the handling can only go from bad to worse. Ride quality may suffer too. Only plus is increase in ground clearance and probably better stance and looks with fatter tyres.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-screenshot_20201116013747_samsung-internet.jpg  

Last edited by Bibendum90949 : 16th November 2020 at 01:55.
Bibendum90949 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th November 2020, 09:58   #464
BHPian

Here we are struggling and waiting to get our booked THAR 2020 delivered but Mahindra it seems already testing the update to 2020 Thar

Link : https://www.rushlane.com/2021-mahind...-12383468.html
techfreak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2020, 10:04   #465
Distinguished - BHPian

2021 Mahindra Thar Spied Testing With New Grille – 4×4 Badge At Rear

Quote:
At the rear, you will notice that the 4×4 badge has now been applied on the lower right side, next to the spare wheel. In the current Thar, there is no 4×4 badge at the rear. 2020 Thar gets 4×4 badge on the side, while the 2021 Thar gets it at the rear as well. Another new sticker that can be seen is the famous Mahindra anthem – ‘Live Young Live Free‘. This can be seen on the rear windshield of 2021 Thar.
I believe Rushlane has spotted some old test cars with the Jeep like grill and have got confused!

https://www.rushlane.com/amp/2021-ma...-12383468.html
CEF_Beasts is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed