Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th November 2020, 16:33   #436
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by justwheels View Post
It all started with................

What's the nearest alternative to a Thar?
Quite frankly nothing. There are no 4WD vehicles till the Fortuner and Endeavour.
Now let me just ask you a question. How long do you think your ownership of the Thar would be? What percentage is the delay of that ownership duration?
Now are you ready to let go of this ownership experience based on the delay of a fraction of that duration.
This could also be a great boon in disguise. Mahindra would have sorted quite a few teething issues which are identified in the production itself by then.

And if you're feeling irrational about your decision, why don't you take multiple extended test drives of the vehicle in the slow december period. It will give you further clarity.

Don't read opinions. Frankly they are useless. People here complain about body roll and unsettled suspension. Well it's an SUV. My daily drive is an SUV. I know it rolls and you get used to it very quickly because it has several other benefits.
Go by your gut feel. Not by people who have posted here. Never expect others to be more knowledgeable or intelligent about anything which concerns decision making by you!

And yes I haven't booked the Thar yet. Don't intend to till I get a TD of both the Diesel and Petrol Automatics. And then I'm sure I'll be able to pry one out as soon as I go to the showroom.
navpreet318 is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 12th November 2020, 16:44   #437
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
It all started with the enthusiasm behind the Thar launch
======
Now the question is, if not Thar, then what? What car will give a road presence of the Thar, uniqueness of a true SUV, a real 4x4 (not a gimmicky AWD) for those planned trips to Sandakphu, Spiti etc. and the charm of ownership.
====
Preowned Toyota fortuner from previous gen fits the bill to the T, finding one under 50-70k kms should not be a big issue.

Also your assumption about Endy being expensive is incorrect, our Endy service is far cheaper than what I have spent on my old Thar. It has done 50k kms plus till date.

Honestly Thar is not a great idea for such ^^ long trips, just because of the limitation of luggage space and continuous high speeds to be done to reach to the far ends of the country Fans may hate it, but reality strikes after you had done some silly and stupid things in life, so sharing.

You should take couple of long test rides before you wait.

Last edited by GTO : 13th November 2020 at 13:42. Reason: coz
Jaggu is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 12th November 2020, 18:30   #438
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Why not wait for the next gen Scorpio? If you are in a hurry, at the moment, the only logical choice is a Fortuner. Compass AT 4x4 should also be a decent choice.

I have been looking for this elusive combination of 4x4 automatic with decent space for years now. With a toddler who does not know the defenition of travelling light, Thar is strictly off my list. I have decided I will wait till wraps are off from the next gen Scorpio and if it does not appeal to me, I will shift focus to Fortuner.

Last edited by padmrajravi : 12th November 2020 at 18:35.
padmrajravi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th November 2020, 20:46   #439
BHPian

Finally, got the delivery of my Galaxy Grey Hard Top Diesel Automatic last night, and have since done 200+ kms in the first few hours.

Initial feelers - its a decent car. A decent body-on-ladder chasis car. Ride is good, handling is OK, but not sorted. Don't expect it to be as comfortable as a Seltos or a sedan.

However, it is good at covering distance. In my Seltos, the same 150 kms drive I did last night in Kerala would have taken me at least 15 mins more in the than in the Thar. This was a mix of national highway, state highway and a bit of rural roads. While the top speeds seen were way lower (car is in still in the run-in phase.. so not going above 2 - 2.5 k revs) than what I would have in the Seltos, what saved time was the fact that I was sitting way higher and hence much better visibility, and not having to slow down on some average to poor stretches which I might have had to do otherwise. FE shown on the display was a cool 13.9 km/l. So would assume a 12 odd kpl.

Another positive was that my wife really liked the car, and she drove back half distance, and never gave it back to me to drive.

Planning to take it for a very mild off-roading this weekend.

Niggles/queries/concerns - yes, but so far manageable (considering it has been only one day):

1. Interestingly, you can pull out the keys even in gear - my first AT where you could do this - be it Reverse, Drive or Neutral. Not sure if the car can be cranked as well in gear (didn't want to try it.) Can anyone confirm if this is the case whether it was in the car @GTO tried or anyone who has received their ATs

2. Steering is a tad to the left, but car is not pulling to any sides. Possibly a minor alignment check and straightening the steering would help. My OCD, rather!!

3. Eager to move in D or R - over aggressive I would say to creep. You can literally feel the car trying to move when applying moderate pressure on the brakes. Better to move to Neutral at a signal or when at standstill

4. Handbrakes - Even at the highest position, car moves when in D or R without any throttle inputs. Again, a minor thing that can be sorted easily

5. Availability of accessories - Reverse camera is a must, and dealer doesnt have an official accessory in stock.
scuderiaferrari is offline   (30) Thanks
Old 12th November 2020, 22:06   #440
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It all started with the enthusiasm behind the Thar launch, .....

...only to get a CPD of 17 March later..

...irrational to the core?

I don’t think there is a close alternative yet.

Secondly, for all those views that isn’t so positive to read, my take is that there isn’t anything that was not known prior. (ride quality, boot space ..etc..) Even the detailed review here calls those out.

For a car that you may possibly own for more that 5 years, you don’t want yourself feeling later that you wished you had waited for the delivery ( if you choose to go with any alternate).

Deliveries have started in Bangalore. I’ll assume that there may be few cancellations and you may get the car a couple or more weeks ahead of your current CPD.
jkrishnakj is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2020, 23:38   #441
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipstream11 View Post
So I'd strongly recommend - hang in there
Thanks for the motivation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Sounds like the date provided is somewhat similar too. I'd wait...
Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
And if you're feeling irrational about your decision, why don't you take multiple extended test drives of the vehicle in the slow december period. It will give you further clarity.
Yes, I am planning to use the waiting period for longer test drives. My SA called up a few days back as the automatic TD vehicle is now available. I am out of station so will try my hand once back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Preowned Toyota fortuner from previous gen fits the bill to the T, finding one under 50-70k kms should not be a big issue.

Also your assumption about Endy being expensive is incorrect, our Endy service is far cheaper than what I have spent on my old Thar. It has done 50k kms plus till date.

Honestly Thar is not a great idea for such ^^ long trips, just coz of the limitation of luggage space and continuous high speeds to be done to reach to the far ends of the country Fans may hate it, but reality strikes after you had done some silly and stupid things in life, so sharing.

You should take couple of long test rides before you wait.
I agree an Endy or a Fortuner are far better, but the budget will get stretched beyond. Pre-owned route is possible but I am yet to explore that. If nothing works out, I will surely explore. But using them as an everyday vehicle is something I am not convinced.

Thanks for your inputs on the Thar on long rides. Will keep that in mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
I don’t think there is a close alternative yet. ....
Deliveries have started in Bangalore. I’ll assume that there may be few cancellations and you may get the car a couple or more weeks ahead of your current CPD.
I agree, there is seriously no alternative to Thar for the vehicle that it is. I just hope the cancellations happen and the delivery is possible much earlier. Fingers crossed.

Last edited by justwheels : 12th November 2020 at 23:39.
justwheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2020, 00:57   #442
BHPian

Today was THE DAY. Got delivery of my LX MT convertible top and i could not be happier than I am today.

For the last 5-6 years I have wanted the Thar and for more than 2 years waited for the new generation. Every other day I have spoken about wanting to own one and today that dream came true.

Mahindra is keeping a tab on what's getting posted on Team-BHP so here also I'd like to thank them for creating this gem.

Will put up pictures and a short review soon.
abhinavsureka is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 13th November 2020, 06:56   #443
BHPian

While we have heard and seen the more popular colors in action - the black, grey and red, have the members seen any of the other available colors in person - rocky beige, aquamarine and copper?
Slipstream11 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2020, 07:13   #444
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipstream11 View Post
While we have heard and seen the more popular colors in action - the black, grey and red, have the members seen any of the other available colors in person - rocky beige, aquamarine and copper?
I have seen copper color . Looks good. Personally I like the Red the most and obviously booked the same. However I think all colors less Black and Aqua are decent. Black because I feel it kind of diminishes the perceived size of the beast and Aqua somehow doesn't fit on a Vehicle like Thar.

Update on my Veh Status - The fight with the dealer is on . Though after multiple tweets and speaking to various Mahindra officials dealer seems to just give me a Vehicle and get rid of me. Ha ha however not withstanding whatever has happened the dealer has finally agreed to give me the 1st vehicle in my color option which gets cancelled , so have decided to rest my fight for a while.

Inbetween I had kind of decided to pick up a Compass Trailhawk but good sense prevailed and have decided to stay with Thar. As for my intended use Compass would have been a expensive optional equipment and much less capable when compared to Thar.
techfreak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2020, 07:35   #445
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by techfreak View Post
I have seen copper color .
No wonder the solid colors of black, grey and red are so popular. One cannot go wrong with these.

Personally I love the rocky beige. The previous gen Thar in rocky beige looked really good. The color was intense and macho. The copper and aquamarine shades on the new Thar have a metallic shimmer and looks a tad similar to nail-polish shades.

There was a picture of a rocky beige Thar uploaded further upstream on this thread, I fear the shade isn't very light and has that dreaded metallic lustre.

Haven't seen the shade in person and none of the dealers within my reach have them as show/TD vehicle, nor has anyone booked it for me to see it in-person during delivery.
Slipstream11 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2020, 13:00   #446
Senior - BHPian

1,000 units of Mahindra Thar are ready for delivery in Diwali period.

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20201113_130447.jpg

Quote:
We wish our customers a ‘Happy Thar-ing Diwali’ during this ongoing festive season. At Mahindra it is our endeavour to spread festive cheer to as many customers as we can," said Veejay Nakra, CEO – Automotive Division, Mahindra & Mahindra. "We are now delighted to take it a step further and deliver 1,000 All-New Thars to mark Diwali festivities.
https://auto.hindustantimes.com/auto...250872178.html

Last edited by Venkatesh : 13th November 2020 at 13:05.
Venkatesh is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th November 2020, 13:18   #447
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I agree an Endy or a Fortuner are far better, but the budget will get stretched beyond. Pre-owned route is possible but I am yet to explore that. If nothing works out, I will surely explore. But using them as an everyday vehicle is something I am not convinced.
If you are cross-shopping across Thar and Endeavour/Fortuner, you need to go back to the drawing board, my friend These are two completely different segments, not only from a price standpoint but from a purpose standpoint too! And yes, using either of those big 7-seater monsters as daily drives in a city like Bangalore is going to be a big pain, A/T notwithstanding.

As for Bangalore-Himalaya drives, very much doable in a Thar, as long as you understand the limitations of the vehicle when it comes to cabin space and seating. I'd say a hardtop automatic Thar is just the right vehicle for such an expedition for 2 people. Any more passengers and you are going to repent the decision! What's more, it will be a great daily drive in city too!

So, evaluate your requirements, test drive the car again and again, and take a call. DO NOT go by what others say or think - you are the one who is going to live with it for 6-8 years so it should be your call.

Hope this helps!
cool_dube is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 13th November 2020, 14:20   #448
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
1,000 units of Mahindra Thar are ready for delivery in Diwali period.
I didn't get it, if the production capacity is at 2000 per month, which they are ramping up to 3000 per month, how are they celebrating just 2000 deliveries like this? If I'm not wrong the production began around third week of August or September ?
Old 13th November 2020, 14:27   #449
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuderiaferrari View Post
Finally, got the delivery of my Galaxy Grey Hard Top Diesel Automatic last night, and have since done 200+ kms in the first few hours.
Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinavsureka View Post
Today was THE DAY. Got delivery of my LX MT convertible top and i could not be happier than I am today.
Announcing delivery of your new cars without photos is a sacrilege!

Congratulations to both of you and wish you a million miles of safe and happy journeys!
comfortablynumb is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 13th November 2020, 15:46   #450
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsMedicine View Post
Few Thars being dispatched with MRF wanderer tyres instead of Ceat Czar. Would like insight from BHPians comparing or differentiating both.

Attachment 2079534
Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
MRF as a brand is better than Ceat, in general. Also, I have seen Wanderers as the OE choice for quite a few good cars, including Ford Endeavour.
Yes, but are the MRFs All-Terrain like the custom-designed CEATs or are they Highway-Terrain? i could not see the markings clearly on the tyre to tell.

Cheers

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks