Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th November 2020, 12:38   #331
Team-BHP Support

Re: Mahindra Thar : Official Review

Regarding the wait period and production increase, I kind of agree to the latter. In this era of instant online gratification, delivery delays are indeed a bummer. Personally I am one of those who just can't wait once the decision is made. If I were in the market for Thar now, I would not wait for more than 2 to 3 weeks for the vehicle, especially if there are alternatives. Thar that way does not really have an alternative, which is the only thing that keep people waiting.

Another angle is the covid scenario, economic situation is very unpredictable and can affect people's decision making. So yes production ramp up is a very good move to ensure as many sales are secured in the shortest time.
Old 5th November 2020, 12:50   #332
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Thar that way does not really have an alternative, which is the only thing that keep people waiting.
I have a feeling that by the time delivery date comes for a lot of people, MSIL would have launched Jimny adding to even more dilemma and cancellations as there seems to be a lot of comparisons of Thar with Jimny.
amol4184 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th November 2020, 13:36   #333
BHPian

Quote:
Regarding the wait period and production increase, I kind of agree to the latter. In this era of instant online gratification, delivery delays are indeed a bummer.
True that! I have the exact opinion. Waiting period of more than a month is never an ideal one in this fast growing world; Let it be any rare vehicle that one can get. With the developing production methodologies, manufacturers can easily pre-produce the vehicles anticipating a certain level bookings that they get. They surely will have a decent number of market analysts working for them to get proper market feedback to asses the booking numbers way before launching. I assume Nissan has this ideology for their Magnite because they have already started mass production and started shipment to dealer as seen in some news. My Sonet is still in 2months waiting from the pre-book date. When I checked with Tata dealer, Nexon is having minimum 45days of waiting period. Being a very competitive segment, waiting period will definitely be a decision making factor at least in the cross over segment. Thar prospect buyers have no other choice though, I believe 10-15% of buyers will go for any other segment.
BKB999 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2020, 14:01   #334
BHPian

Here is my story.
2nd November was my birthday. As i booked on 2nd October itself it was promised a delivery date in 1st Week of November. My family customised a surprise cake for me as shown in picture attached below. Thar has always been a dream car for me, also have been test driving since 2013 but never felt the old generation utilitarian.

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20201105-1.51.48-pm.jpeg

Now at the eve of my birthday i get a call from SA that my CPD is 22nd December. Frankly i was bit jolted with the news, not due to delivery but what i would tell my family. SA being my friend had promised my 3 year old daughter (who is more crazy for Thar than me) car delivery on my or on her birthday that is 14th November. So i tweeted as below. If anyone feels like retweeting, please do. 14th November next big milestone at-least for me.

https://twitter.com/OrthoKP/status/1...788731392?s=20

Got a call from GM, RSM and SA at Mahindra within an hour for apologies and SA at my home with bouquet. The GM offered me to keep TD Thar for a day to compensate but i refused politely. I appreciated the gesture but told them i just need my Thar and had no intention of making everybody run at night hours. My tweet was purely an emotion. I tweeted back with the picture of SA handing me the bouquet and thanking everyone for quick response.

Current update is they are managing early delivery for me and i have requested them to deliver my Thar by November. If not delivered in November then i would definitely cancel my booking and opt for it again after a year or two.

My take on the entire fuss is there is actually no fault at dealers end. Dealers are clueless and aren't getting updates from Mahindra. No point bashing or tweeting too as it would lead to nothing but blame games. I feel for SA the most.
SportsMedicine is offline   (27) Thanks
Old 5th November 2020, 18:59   #335
BHPian

Some respite for people who booked in the first few days ? !

Looks like the first batch is about to be delivered

Quote:
First batch of customers will receive the new Thar in the coming days across India. Along with the confirmed bookings, the new Thar has also received over 65,000 enquiries and over 8 lakh website visits causing the company to be overwhelmed with this kind of attention that the new Thar has received

Source
Sk8r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2020, 19:00   #336
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk8r View Post
How is "first batch" defined here? Any date range for the booking?
Old 5th November 2020, 19:20   #337
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by amol4184 View Post
I have a feeling that by the time delivery date comes for a lot of people, MSIL would have launched Jimny adding to even more dilemma and cancellations as there seems to be a lot of comparisons of Thar with Jimny.
Jimny?! That will be another one looooooong wait for sure But honestly Thar and Jimny though look similar, is way different from usability perspective. Jimny is a tiny car, really tiny. Someone mentioned the espresso to have larger dimensions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKB999 View Post
Thar prospect buyers have no other choice though, I believe 10-15% of buyers will go for any other segment.
This is the only saving grace for the bookings to be retained.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsMedicine View Post
If anyone feels like retweeting, please do. 14th November next big milestone at-least for me.

https://twitter.com/OrthoKP/status/1...788731392?s=20

Got a call from GM, RSM and SA at Mahindra within an hour for apologies and SA at my home with bouquet.
=====
My take on the entire fuss is there is actually no fault at dealers end. Dealers are clueless and aren't getting updates from Mahindra. No point bashing or tweeting too as it would lead to nothing but blame games. I feel for SA the most.
Retweeted!

But very sweet of your dealer. And yes sometimes they are helpless, only manufacturer will know the real status. Hope it comes through in Novemeber itself for you.
Jaggu is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 5th November 2020, 19:42   #338
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thar and Jimny though look similar, is way different from usability perspective. Jimny is a tiny car, really tiny. Someone mentioned the espresso to have larger dimensions.
Yup, indeed. I had expressed similar thoughts elsewhere. Has wheelbase smaller than WagonR. A post by tbhp support was quite the eye opener! But quite a few people who were not very happy after a visit to Mahindra showroom, said they will now wait for Jimny.
I believe these are the folks that just want a small, capable, 2nd or 3rd vehicle and Jimny or Thar both fit that criteria. Miniscule space shouldn't be a problem for them.
I personally feel Thar V2 (LX trim) is a car that can be the only car for some - something that couldn't be said of Thar V1 or even Jimny 3D. To that extent Jimny doesn't strike to me as a replacement for Thar but each to their own
amol4184 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2020, 19:50   #339
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk8r View Post
Was with an ASM of a dealer today (Anant Cars, Bangalore). He confirmed the same. They are delivering 3 Thar's within next one week. Beyond 3, he has no clue.
balenoed_ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2020, 20:09   #340
BHPian

I too have booked a Thar LX P HT Manual on 8th October in Delhi and the CPD communicated to me by the SA upon calling him is 21st April 2021!
He says the factory will be closed through November and December for maintainence.
Old 5th November 2020, 20:12   #341
BHPian

Quote:
Retweeted!

But very sweet of your dealer. And yes sometimes they are helpless, only manufacturer will know the real status. Hope it comes through in November itself for you.
Thanks a ton for the retweet. Means a lot.

While my previous post was bit on the emotional side. Sharing one of the best sarcastic quotes i found on FaceBook on delivery issues of Thar.

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20201105-8.05.02-pm.jpeg
SportsMedicine is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th November 2020, 20:16   #342
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
When you are going to live with a car for 5 - 10 years, do a couple of days / weeks / months extra on the waiting period matter (unless the need is critical and there is no car in the house)? I wouldn't think so. Personally, if I really loved a car, I'd even wait 1 year for it. But then, I'm an outlier.

We had a poll on waiting periods, where 85% of BHPians said they'd wait for a maximum of 2 months only.
True indeed. The choice was more of a heart over head, however after a careful consideration owing to many factors considering the upcoming XUV500.

Last edited by Sheel : 5th November 2020 at 22:19. Reason: Broken quote tag fixed.
Old 5th November 2020, 21:19   #343
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pariyadav View Post
I too have booked a Thar LX P HT Manual on 8th October in Delhi and the CPD communicated to me by the SA upon calling him is 21st April 2021!
He says the factory will be closed through November and December for maintainence.
Wow now thats a super bomb of an excuse closed through november and december
You should have atleast asked him to give a better excuse then this one!

I have a gut feel this publicity is more of a stunt by M&m, still have not seen a single Thar in dehi NCR for something that was revealed on 15 august its 2 months plus now and all people are fed is fairytale
Excuses! Had this been Skoda people would have been out with pitchforks after them chasing them down
Born 2 Be Wild is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2020, 21:40   #344
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pariyadav View Post
A production line shutting down for 2 months is unheard of. Especially when you have a backlog of 21,000 orders.

A better reason could be that they are undergoing process changes to increase the capacity by setting up automation and robotics for Thar's assembly line.
Old 5th November 2020, 22:10   #345
BHPian

Just read an article on gaadiwadi.com stating that Nov (or rather Oct end) dispatches were ~1200 pieces, which is way less than 2000 planned capacity. So for sure there is more that is happening at Mahindra.

Also somewhere read about 500 odd deliveries planned in November (unable to find that link).

Article Link : https://gaadiwaadi.com/1207-units-of...nth-of-launch/

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks