Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th October 2020, 17:51   #121
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
Mahindra Thar Hard Top has the longest waiting period
20 to 22 weeks of waiting for the Hard Top. For a lifestyle vehicle this is a first. 15000 bookings is what the quoted
website link suggested. Even if 30% cancelation happens, you still have around 11k bookings to cater to. For a car that sold max 500 a month in previous avatar, this is massive. Even if M&M was prepared for 200% increase in demand, this is still way beyond their capacity.

When I told this to my dealer, he was in shock, asking me where are you getting this info. Not sure if they are really that blindsided or just trying to play games.

Nonetheless, this Thar seems to be a run away success even in pandemic times. Crazy!!!
justwheels is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th October 2020, 18:16   #122
BHPian

Just with 2 days sighting of Suzuki Jimney Sierra on the roads, and interest on the Thar thread has dropped down to a trickle, and footfall at showroom, SA following up with prospective buyers.

Love this, interesting times ahead.
Vinod_nair is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2020, 18:46   #123
BHPian

Almost 60% of prospective Thar buyers are first-time car buyers Now that's a scary thought, with regard to uncontrolled acceleration, high-speed cornering, parking on crowded streets and ill-advised use of 4-wheel drive transmission. Just goes to prove the irresistible draw of a macho image. On a lighter note, can't get the image of a Thar with an L-board off my mind
TAHR is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 19th October 2020, 19:21   #124
Senior - BHPian

I have a hunch that all the complaints that people have with Thar, will be applicable to Jimny too just more severely. Your choices at that point will boil down to hard core or harder core.
amol4184 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 19th October 2020, 19:51   #125
BHPian

I also took the test drive of Thar last weekend. I was the first customer to take the drive that day since I got the coupon number one (SA told me as well that I am the first one today). Had to wait for a fair bit of time since the vehicle was getting washed and prepared. There already was a queue once I was back.

Test drive offered was quite short and just on the service roads. Hardly went above the 3rd gear. Still, whatever small time I got I enjoyed the looks, drive and the overall feel.

Diesel engine is surely likeable and very unlike diesel in terms of NVH.
Ride quality is shaky with continues horizontal movement. This is not a negative for me.
AC's good. Clutch and gear-shift has nothing to complain about.

Dealer - Sahyadri Motors, off Pune/Bangalore highway.

I am in no hurry to buy this and SA was very pleased to know this. Waiting period has already skyrocketed. This should succeed and create a new profitable segment.

If all goes well, I would prefer this in FY 2021/22.
abhi_tjet is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th October 2020, 20:20   #126
BHPian

Posting this over a week after I did the test drive but felt it should be better late than never.

Saw the new Thar first on Mount Road Zulaikha within their parking lot while cycling past early morning a while back. Looked impressive in black. Had received a SMS inviting for a test drive from the MPL showroom on Nelson Manickam road earlier as well but was hesitant thinking of crowds and also since I had moved from initial enthusiasm to a point where I realized I don’t need a new vehicle.

Late Saturday Oct 10th got a Whatsapp from a Thar owners group that MPL Mahindra on Nelson Manickam road was having an offroad test drive and Arka and the Terra Tigers was involved with it. Had a lot of work as well that weekend so wasn’t sure if I would be able to make it. Somehow managed to get things sorted at work on Sunday Oct 12 and reached by 11:20 AM and had to sign in to the dealership and got to sit inside the Black display Thar. (They had a separate section on its own). Everyone coming into the dealership was going to the Thar only. Got a few photos taken there.

Very good looking and imposing in black which is probably the best looking shade.

Initial thoughts sitting inside were front seats were comfortable and everything looked and felt years ahead of my current 2012 Thar. Clutch of the Manual Diesel HT was very light and similar to a sedan. Felt the seating position to be a bit more car like than the bus/tractor type seating I have in the 2012 (seems a bit lower).

Getting into the back from the left side is not easy but not difficult either. Forward facing rear seat is a bit low to my liking and will not be comfortable for a longer journey - but I hope to not have to sit at the back. The carpeting at the sides at the rear wasn’t very well done and not evenly fitted - this was the only other crib. Boot space is limited with the seat in a comfortable recline position.

Took a few photos with the Thar - here is one:
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20201011_115551.jpg

They asked to wait in the dealership for the on road test drive but the vehicle was taken for fuel re-filling. Drove to the next compound which was set up as the offroad course. Couple of older Thars were parked there . Met Arka and couple of others Mukund and Indra. Captain Rex also joined soon after.

Saw Captain Rex take his Thar on the course and so did Indra. Still the TD vehicle hadnt reached. So I took my Thar along the course as well. It was a simple course and the 8 year old Thar managed it with no fuss.

Finally the vehicle showed up and I was asked if I wanted to do an on road drive. Jumped in at the chance and got settled in. Gear lever was easy to slot in but first time with the new gearbox and 6 speed was a bit unsure. Started off without stalling easily. Had to do a u-turn and immediate point I noticed was that the turning radius was larger than the current one - just about made the U-turn. Vehicle is wider than my Thar and I was a bit cautious due to it.

Didn’t get to play with the AC but it worked fine and cooled the interior. The cabin was "silent" compared to my current soft top. Only on hard acceleration does engine noise come in. Easy to drive and comfortable. The gear lever could have been a bit shorter I felt . Brakes were normal - didn’t get to do any panic stops in the short time I got on the road and was more than decent for my need. Got as far at 4th gear on a short stretch but by then was back at the showroom.

I drove the Thar into the compound which had the offroad setup - had to do a bit of reverse to align the wheels to get over a raised storm water drain across the entrance . The ring that needs to be held up to do the reverse was a bit annoying and the gear pattern is different from the other cars I have. Rear view was a bit difficult perhaps am used to a larger rear opening due to the soft top. Felt the rear glass was a bit small for my preference.

Air was let out of the tires as per instruction from Arka and then got to do a test drive off road. The same course on the new Thar was again effortless and with the AC on windows up was an unreal experience - compared to the older Thar - where you are aware of everything with a lot of sound coming in. Only once I noticed the tire direction display on the console while driving on the off-road course. The line I had taken with the old Thar on the same course and the new Thar were different due to the added width and the wider turning radius (on sharp turns).

Verdict - better than the old one on all the creature comforts for the front two passengers. Rear passengers are better off without speaking rights. Much more silent and comfortable.

Got home to hear a comment that I shouldn’t go buy the new Thar and should get a sedan instead ! Here we go again - Deja Vu from 2012 ! But this time due to Covid restrictions and WFH I will not to rush to buy this.

Here are some photos of my 2012 Thar with the new Thar.

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20201011_131001.jpg

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20201011_131011.jpg

Also sharing a video taken by Captain Rex of me driving the new Thar.
sjcherian is online now   (17) Thanks
Old 19th October 2020, 22:08   #127
BHPian

Sorry if i sound dull-witted with this post but my questions are:

1) If any of the glass on either side of hard top breaks, would it necessitate complete hard top replacement or individual glass is replaceable?

2) As per Mahindra guy in automatic transmission shift on fly (even 2H to 4H) is possible only in neutral gear, is it true or has anyone tried?

3) Will the front bumper bear the load of winch?

4) Where in world would they place a reverse camera if needed (surely is)?

5) Is HUD display as an accessory needed in Thar or its just a show-off?

Thanks in advance for answers.
Old 19th October 2020, 22:21   #128
BHPian

As per this review video, the ride quality improved after increasing the tyre pressure to 36 psi from the recommended 34 psi (please check from the time 14:30 in the video) .

r_devakumar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th October 2020, 00:05   #129
BHPian

Re: 15,000 Mahindra Thars booked till date!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
According to Mahindra, 57% of all buyers of the new Thar are first time car buyers. Besides, a majority of the customers have chosen the automatic variants.

Since, the off-roader's launch, Mahindra has received over 65,000 enquiries and more than 8 lakh website visitors.
I think what Mahindra has managed to do successfully, is to market the upgrades compared to the previous one in a great way. A lot of fence sitters are now looking to own it. The creature comforts and finishing have certainly helped. Kudos to the marketing team!
What really surprised me (I've been following their FB page vey closely) is the interest from the fairer sex in this car, specially young ladies. No other car has this kind of appeal, IMHO, based on what I've seen.

That said, I admire GTO's foresight in saying this a long time back that a large number of pre-owned Thars would be in the market in a year or so. At the risk of sounding judgemental, I think a lot of the first time buyers may be in for a difficult journey, and how long they would be able to sustain the ownership (and expenses, given the FE, 4-4 mechanicals, ergonomics and Mahindra niggles) remains to be seen. They may not be aware of the deal they are getting into - unless they have been following Thar and Mahindra for a long time.
On top of that, if it the single/first car in the family, climbing into the back seat and the lack of luggage space will soon start rubbing off on the initial charm and excitement.

If I attempt to draw a non automotive analogy, seems like this car has garnered a lot of infatuation, which is being confused with true love. Of course, the lovers do exist, and they always will.

Of late, what has started manifesting on M&M's SM (Insta/Twitter/FB) is peoples' frustration regarding the uncertainty regarding delivery. With all the reports of drawbacks and niggles over time, this may cause a lot of cancellations. The Thar mostly was a Heart over Head decision, and in cases like these, head generally prevails over heart if allowed time. With the success of Sonet and launch of Magnite, some of these "first time buyers" may be swayed over gradually.
SchrödingersCar is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th October 2020, 00:05   #130
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinod_nair View Post
Just with 2 days sighting of Suzuki Jimney Sierra on the roads, and interest on the Thar thread has dropped down to a trickle, and footfall at showroom, SA following up with prospective buyers.

Love this, interesting times ahead.
I doubt someone who has made up his / her mind to buy a Thar, would really change his / her decision because of the Jimny.

I wouldn't ditch a Thar for a Jimny.
parrys is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 20th October 2020, 03:53   #131

Hi Guys, I need an honest opinion about a tweet I made regarding the New thar, So I just want to ask if it is ok to share the link of the tweet
Old 20th October 2020, 06:29   #132
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrys View Post
I doubt someone who has made up his / her mind to buy a Thar, would really change his / her decision because of the Jimny.

I wouldn't ditch a Thar for a Jimny.
I haven't seen Jinmy in person, but since both of them seem to serve similar purpose and are essentially 2 door rides, I may really take which ever is available first. (Well I want both that is a different story) I will be taking them on non existent roads and if features are really comparable, I am sure Maruti's reliability will add some appeal. Maybe the Thar will look more bulky and Macho while the Jinmy will appeal even more to the fairer sex as a easily driven car. Jimny with its G wagen appeal will really nail it.

Even diehards want to wait for V2 of Thar. That is something one does not have to worry with the Maruti's.

As a second or third car primarily to drive kids around, both of them are perfect fit with their sub 4M sizes as well. Now how many will enjoy the bumpy rides is an all together different game though. I was reading some posts where they feel Jinmy may have a better ride. But I am not sure that will be the case.

What market is craving for is essentially boxes with spares hanging while we have been getting too many round cars.

In a way I am very happy that we have choice. October has been the month for all the SUV's with rear spare tire to enter into fray. Land Rover Defender, Thar, Gurkha (this time I hope I can test drive it) and Jimny. Alteast 2 of them are available for purchase. Others will soo be available. Good thing I am in the market for a new car.

Last edited by indian21r : 20th October 2020 at 06:41.
indian21r is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th October 2020, 08:38   #133
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_devakumar View Post
As per this review video, the ride quality improved after increasing the tyre pressure to 36 psi from the recommended 34 psi (please check from the time 14:30 in the video).
IIRC (with 80% certainty), the recommended PSI is 32 and not 34. Second, I have never in my life experienced a "significant" improvement in ride quality after increasing the tyre pressure!

I also disagree with the reviewer calling the ride quality "fantastic" and the handling "confident". Sorry, but those observations are just totally wrong.
GTO is offline   (27) Thanks
Old 20th October 2020, 09:14   #134
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
IIRC (with 80% certainty), the recommended PSI is 32 and not 34. Second, I have never in my life experienced a "significant" improvement in ride quality after increasing the tyre pressure!

I also disagree with the reviewer calling the ride quality "fantastic" and the handling "confident". Sorry, but those observations are just totally wrong.
Not sure about the new Thar recommended tire pressure but for the older one the recommended pressure was 35 PSI. Many people I knew had mentioned reducing to 32 PSI claimed the ride was smoother - however I have personally preferred 35 to be smoother and less jarring. Guess it is up to individual preference also.
Old 20th October 2020, 10:22   #135
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAHR View Post
Almost 60% of prospective Thar buyers are first-time car buyers
Seriously scary. I have seen newbies topple the old one at the first flick of the steering wheel. This beast needs a license in itself.

I believe an XUV deja vu is in sight where M&M will shut off the bookings. 15k bookings are the annual sales of the old one. I doubt M&M has the capacity on to ramp up production for the "excitement" spike bookings.

For me the more the sales the more the preowned markert in 3 years

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks