Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th October 2020, 12:31   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
My guess is that Mahindra may be have got far more bookings than they anticipated and may be staring at a capacity crunch.
Could be true that.

Earlier the two dealers who were chasing me day in and out to make the booking have now gone silent. No word of even encouraging for a Test Drive. Looks like they got enough orders to their delivery capacity for the next few months and will spare me for the next batch.
Old 16th October 2020, 12:44   #47
BHPian

While for the past couple of months or so, all of us have been reading, seeing various reviews on the 2020 Thar. Now it is officially out on TBHP and a great one at that.

I too love the new Thar, but When I look at the Pros and Cons, the first 4 points on the Cons are critical and if it is that way, then, all the money people are investing is for some cosmetic upgrades, better looks, engine and transmission options, the WOW factor. While I agree all these Pros are real positives, still the negatives outweigh the positives for me.

For fence sitters, I would still suggest, go, hunt for a previous gen Thar used around 5-6 L, enjoy what it is meant for and have another proper car for this money.

Me, I am not going to let go off my existing Thar, but wait for the Next Gen XUV and expecting to enjoy best of both worlds.

There was a mention that GTO is so impressed with the new one, that he will not go near the old one which he loved so far 😄 I think it is a little over statement as people like me still like our Classic looking bare bones Thar and probably GTO would do as well 👍

Swami
swami69 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th October 2020, 12:49   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by justwheels View Post
Quick question for those who have booked the Thar. Did you get any confirmation date of delivery from Mahindra or only a tentative date from dealer?
My dealer Sireesh Auto, is saying Mahindra will send delivery date and I have not got any even after getting an order confirmation on Monday.

Any inputs if the dealers story is correct ?

Mahindra has bitten off more then they can chew . My dealer officially has said that mahindra will give them a clear picture on delivery time frame in first week November. Checked with 2 other dealers as well same story from them also, unofficially my sales rep said sir too many bookings have come through and if all of them convert into sale, 3-4 months is the time frame that we are looking at. 60% are for Black diesel HT A/T Lx model.
In all honesty if he pushes my thar delivery to December i would wait and pick up a Jan or feb make Thar rather then a December Make.
Born 2 Be Wild is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2020, 12:49   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarnava.ch View Post
Few thoughts to share on the cons:
I feel atleast two of the points (Pt 2 and 3 above) can be solved easily with the 4 Door version which is on the cards. It will not only make it more versatile but also increase the acceptance of the car as a First car in the family and not just second of Third choice.
Who knows, even pt 3 can be resolved in the longer version.
I strongly believe that the 4 door version will reduce the appeal of the vehicle. It has to be positioned and retained as a lifestyle vehicle. People who want the 4 door are better off with products like Scorpios and XUVs and the Seltos & cretas. The value it commands is because of the exclusivity of the product and often the ability to indicate "I have enough money to spend on this unpractical Boy Toy".

It is a fun vehicle. That said, horrible dynamics, safety kit makes it an absolute danger as a family vehicle. Any extreme maneure can roll the vehicle over. I know of a few people who got the older one and have toppled it. It requires a far higher awareness and maturity to handle the beast.
Old 16th October 2020, 13:14   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketi View Post
One will be always happy by reading Pros but when it comes to Cons, one gets really disappointed. In 2020 also we will have to live with basic things like bumpy ride, poor road manners, no boot space, not suited for more than 2 people, and many more? That too after paying more than million bucks? I know people will start saying that its not made for this & that, still i am very disappointed with these crucial things missing in today's world. Can't think of buying one even as a second car at home. I can just have it for show off on road if i have lots of spare money and parking space available.
I don't disagree here.

When the vehicle was launched on the 2nd, there were enough % of people who were inclined to ' wow, what a price position' stage, and over a period of a few days, many in that % turned to ' hmm..high pricing actually'.

My hypothesis is this - We are ok with what the vehicle can do, we love exactly what it does, it does better than its previous avatars, but when it comes to paying so much moolah and still living with the cons, this becomes the pain & sour point. T

This is then a 'Value for Money' deficiency and its more profound in the LX variants.
jkrishnakj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th October 2020, 13:18   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPR View Post
The fence sitters who think 17+ lakhs on road for a Thar is too much, only MS can attract these fence sitters to buy a Jimny at 12L. Forget Thar even Venue-Soneters will come back to MS. Such a decider is Jimny.
That is a stretch, honestly. Jimny is even smaller - Pretty much the same size as WagonR with wheelbase smaller than that of Alto K10. If bootspace in Thar is bad, Jimny is going to be non existent. Thar is also substantially broader.
We don't yet know the pricing for Jimny but considering it is a lifestyle vehicle by MS, its not going to be real cheap either. Ace for Thar though is the diesel engine option.
Besides, if Thar has limited appeal as it is, considering Jimny's tighter dimensions its going to be a hard sell to Sonet and Venue prospective buyers. I feel even with that price tag Thar is a product that will probably entice more CUV buyers towards it. The Jimny despite its cute looks seems more hardcore, single purpose vehicle unless they cripple it and remove 4x4 etc and reduce it to a small tough car. That will be truly unfortunate though.
amol4184 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2020, 13:21   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
We like how, when slowing down, the gearbox readily shifts down and doesn’t freewheel excessively like some other FE-obsessed automatics. It leads to superior throttle response, engine braking & control. Because the AT's logic is good, we wouldn't bother with manual mode on tarmac, although we'd heavily use it while offroading.
This is great to hear!! It is extremely important on a top heavy SUV to maintain control, especially the one where we're already concerned about handling. Thank you for highlighting.

Appreciate if we could comparing the dynamics and Ride with another vehicle. I do see Duster being mentioned, but that is too high a goal. A realistic comparison could be with first generation Fortuner?
Old 16th October 2020, 13:42   #53
BHPian

A nice and crisp review.

The only major reason that Mahindra has not added side curtain air bags as they are giving Hard top/soft top options and they extend all the way above rear doors.

I want to see how convertibles manufactures place the side curtain airbags in their cars like a convertible Porsche. And do they get deployed when the roof is down and you have an accident.

Apart from that, they can give seat airbags or knee airbag in top end variants.
Old 16th October 2020, 13:53   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDK286 View Post
My unpopular 2 cents - I don't know if its just me, but where did Mahindra spend the money ? Yes, its a decent upgrade from the old Thar, but can you justify 13-17 lakhs ?
I think that is not the fair way to look at the pricing - comparing the all-new Thar, where everything is new, the platform, the engines, the transmissions, the body, the interiors, the safety kit, the feature set....to the previous generation that had a 70 year old platform, a 10 year old engine, and other items that were somewhere in between in terms of age

The better comparator would be with other cars recently launched in this price range. For example, the Kia Sonet. Compare the Thar LX Petrol manual to a Sonet Petrol HTX+ iMT - for about 85K more, you get a vehicle that is one class above on most parameters, a turbo charged direct injected petrol of twice the size, twice the torque, 25% more power, real 4WD capability, ESP, independent rear suspension, the works - and all you lose is the sunroof. Note that I am not comparing application here, I know the two cars are for different applications, but IK am comparing value of what is being offered for the price.
84.monsoon is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th October 2020, 14:50   #55
Senior - BHPian

Mahindra Thar deliveries are set to commence from November 1. The waiting periods currently extend up to 3 months.

https://www.rushlane.com/mahindra-th...-12378903.html
Old 16th October 2020, 15:17   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDK286 View Post
My unpopular 2 cents - I don't know if its just me, but where did Mahindra spend the money ? Yes, its a decent upgrade from the old Thar, but can you justify 13-17 lakhs ?
"
Guess price of a model is not just the sum of all parts, that is just the landed cost of a vehicle. Any manufacturer will calculate the maximum potential that the customer perceives of that product.
If you go by the booking numbers, there are surely a lot many who find it reasonable for Thar to command that price. And Mahindra doesn't care if many end up in second hand market in 2 to 3 years. More the merrier on the roads for them.

Classic case was Innova Crysta that commanded such a high price on launch and still sold loads more than others. Toyota obviously did not do anything out of the blue on that, and we know many niggles stories floating around. It still sells by a dozen. Not an apples to apples comparison, but case of consumer being ready to pay. Even wranglers in the US are priced at a premium.
Would a lot of us loved to have it cheaper, ofcourse yes. Well, I would have loved Bangalore Tax was less too.
justwheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2020, 17:07   #57
BHPian

My 2 cents on 5 door Thar !

Let Thar be Thar in this current 2 door version and I hope M&M won't spoil it by extending further by adding another 2 more doors.

Mahindra can definitely refurbish the present Bolero and make it a proper 4 door vehicle by upgrading the interiors with quality materials, independent suspension at the rear, better creature comforts and may be a 4X4 avatar too for those Thar 5 door wannabes.

Just like what they did with the Thar 2020, M&M can upgrade and bring Bolero to Urban admirers so that they will definitely have a winner. This may also wont put much strain on their current production capacities as well.
highwaypatrol is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th October 2020, 17:59   #58
BHPian

I'm surprised to see 2.0 turbo petrol producing more torque than 2.2 turbo diesel. Any thoughts on this ?
Shan_Kmu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2020, 18:18   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan_Kmu View Post
I'm surprised to see 2.0 turbo petrol producing more torque than 2.2 turbo diesel. Any thoughts on this ?
The 2.2 turbo is actually rated to produce 190 bhp and a whopping 450 nm of torque. It has been detuned in the Thar.
AirbusCapt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th October 2020, 18:31   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
Mahindra Thar deliveries are set to commence from November 1. The waiting periods currently extend up to 3 months.

https://www.rushlane.com/mahindra-th...-12378903.html
I booked mine, in Pune, first thing in the morning on Oct 3rd (when nobody was in the dealership), and the day after was sent an Order Number and a Customer Promise Date of Jan 23rd. I didn't believe the crap so called the manager but he confirmed the same. He also added that these are 'system generated' dates and will be readjusted/updated to earlier dates by Nov first week.

Not sure if that's true so I asked him to send me a picture or screenshot of this 'system'; which he did, and it says the same.

An hour ago today (10/16) he reassured me it will be delivered much sooner than the 01/23 date and suggested I shouldn't be making an additional booking through another dealership like I was contemplating. He said the new one, if done today, will generate an April date.

I have no idea if any of this is for real.
fjcruiser08 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks