Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th April 2021, 16:48   #1501

Re: Mahindra Thar : Official Review

Hi All

The Forum has been extremely useful for getting regular updates.

Booked my THAR HT D AT Grey Colour on 12th October. Initial CPD was 17th of April 2021 but now got postponed to 30th of April 2021.

SA confirmed that the billing will be happening next week and I can expect the vehicle by 25th of this Month End.

Eagerly Waiting for the Delivery.
Jakkireddys is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th April 2021, 12:53   #1502
BANNED

When you are confident on your new product which has been created by extensive efforts throughout the lifecycle of product development, then only you can release a launch video that truly lives up to the DNA of the car 'offroad'.

Have seen Ford Bronco car tested in one of the toughest offroad challenge. Can this kind of approach/departure angle feasible in Thar?

Last edited by Aditya : 11th April 2021 at 20:03. Reason: Typo, sentence completed
Old 11th April 2021, 15:05   #1503
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by darwin View Post
There was a strange issue I have faced with my Manual diesel Thar. At around 600km, on a short drive near my hometown

The SA called me the next day after the inspection and told me that there was an issue with the transmission cable, and when you slot the first gear, the car was engaging into 3rd gear; which explains the power loss

But I want to know if anyone else in the forum have faced a similar issue. Also, it would be helpful if anyone with some technical knowledge can chime in.
I had posted about issues with the transmission in the niggles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicvic View Post
A little Birdie tells me that there is an issue in some components of the gear box of a particular batch are faulty

The third gear is being replaced in some vehicles, and in some the gear shift cable is being replaced - perhaps only to buy time

As usual some cars are waiting in the workshops waiting for warranty replacement parts to arrive

Mahindra is being very tight lipped about the gear issue in some cars.

Did you notice any noise when changing between 2nd and 3rd or vice versa. That has been reported by some owners
slicvic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2021, 19:04   #1504

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicvic View Post
I had posted about issues with the transmission in the niggles thread

Mahindra is being very tight lipped about the gear issue in some cars.

Did you notice any noise when changing between 2nd and 3rd or vice versa. That has been reported by some owners
Thanks for your direction. I think I will move this conversation to the niggles thread.
Old 12th April 2021, 16:15   #1505
Senior - BHPian

Mahindra Thar: Bookings cross the 50,000 mark in 6 months

Mahindra has announced that it has received over 50,000 bookings for the Thar within just 6 months of its launch.

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-allnew-thar.jpg

The company is increasing production capacity both at its Nasik facility and at the supplier-end to meet the demand for the Thar and reduce the waiting period.

The new Thar was launched on October 2, 2020. The off-roader is available with two engine options. These include a 2.0-litre, 4-cylinder mStallion petrol that produces 150 BHP and 320 Nm and a 2.2-litre mHawk diesel that makes 130 BHP and 320 Nm. Both engines are available with either a 6-speed manual or a 6-speed automatic transmission. A four-wheel drive with a manual-shift transfer case is standard across all variants.

The Thar gets an independent front suspension and a multi-link rear setup. It has a Shift-on-the-Fly 4x4, a mechanical locking differential, brake locking differential and electromechanical driveline disconnect.
TusharK is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 12th April 2021, 17:51   #1506
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
Mahindra Thar: Bookings cross the 50,000 mark in 6 months
Wow that’s quite a thing, even the apex management of M&M wouldn’t have estimated such demand for Thar resulting into 10 months waiting period. This makes me wonder, had they taken the same enthusiasm while the 1st gen Thar was being developed and if it could have garnered similar demand in the past, who knows it might have churned out a good share of CSUV segment in the last decade.

I am pretty sure there’s an old man smiiing from the heaven and quietly saying ”I knew this would happen someday”

A piece of this one belongs to you Old man!!!!

RIP BD as your baby is here to last an eternity.
abhikb is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 12th April 2021, 19:34   #1507
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Mahindra has announced that it has received over 50,000 bookings for the Thar within just 6 months of its launch.
Awesome! With 50,000 bookings on the cards and just about 13,000 Thar's having been delivered across the country till end-March, Mahindra has a backlog of approximately 37,000 cars. A production capacity of 3,000-odd cars per month implies waiting periods going only northwards from the current 8-10 months!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhikb View Post
This makes me wonder, had they taken the same enthusiasm while the 1st gen Thar was being developed and if it could have garnered similar demand in the past, who knows it might have churned out a good share of CSUV segment in the last decade.
The previous-gen Thar was an amazing jeep in its own way, and a significant improvement over "traditional" jeeps of yesteryears. This was clearly reflected in the (relatively) high sales numbers, especially in urban areas, compared to its predecessors. Prior to the launch of first generation Thar, one could hardly see any jeeps on urban roads. However, it left a lot to be desired when it came to practicality, a term rarely associated with jeeps up until October 02, 2020! Very few people (rather enthusiasts) could digest it as a daily drive in addition to their weekend toy, and hence, it was left as a "big boy's toy" for those who could afford to have it as a spare vehicle in their garage. But Mahindra has upped the game with the new gen Thar wherein it can play both roles with panache! Of course, this facet was further accentuated by the aggressive (and spot-on) marketing by Mahindra, wherein they were able to garner as many bookings for a 2-door, bumpy-as-hell jeep I would say Mahindra nailed it with a very well thought-through product plan which surgically addressed the shortcomings of the previous gen. That, coupled with an awesome platter of engines, gearboxes, and colors, sealed it for them

A success well-deserved!!

Last edited by cool_dube : 12th April 2021 at 19:50. Reason: Typo
cool_dube is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th April 2021, 19:46   #1508
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
I would say Mahindra nailed it with a very well though-through product plan which surgically addressed the shortcomings of the previous gen. That, coupled with an awesome platter of engines, gearboxes, and colors, sealed it for them

A success well-deserved!!
Couldn’t agree more on this, Mahindra never thought Thar will be made into a cult brand when it was launched a decade back, this even Mr. Pawan Goenka admitted few months back. We have Thar lovers right from the ones who love the 1st crude model to the Refreshed edition over to Thar 700 and lastly and this new age beauty.

So it started way back in 2010, from having old crude Jeeps which cannot dare drive above 60kmph to a Jeep with a CRDe motor which can cruise at 140 kmph whole day and now with all the worldly features and comfort that is giving a regular 5 door vehicle a run for its money.

The Thar is here to stay for many more years to come.

Cheers !!!
abhikb is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th April 2021, 20:09   #1509
Distinguished - BHPian

The latest Autocar mag has a full road test of the Thar (Diesel MT & AT as well as Petrol AT). Here is a snippet on acceleration times( the green letters are Diesel MT, the Red Diesel AT and and the blue ones are the petrol AT)

Diesel AT and Diesel MT are nearly equally fast to the ton. The Diesel AT is actually faster than the MT in acceleration up till 90 KPH and the MT edges ahead by a bit in the last 10 kph speed interval, as the AT's shift to the sixth gear happens just upward of 90 kph. So, for most common conditions (pulling away from a stop light, pickign speed back up after slowing down for speed-breakers on the highway etc.), the AT would actually feel faster. In gear acceleration in kickdown mode is also quite impressive on the Diesel AT given the car's 1800 kg of weight! It is the heaviest of all variants.

The petrol is a class apart in acceleration. 0-100 in 10.2 seconds is just wow! It is faster than most SUVs in its price bracket and even a couple of price brackets above and below. Imagine the expressions of the owners when you are licking a Ford Endeavour AT, Toyota Fortuner AT, Jeep Compass AT, or a Tata Harrier AT in a highway run, on your open top Petrol Thar! Very few cars in the price bracket, except maybe the 1.4 TGDI equipped Creta/Seltos and the 1.5 DSG equipped Kushaq/Taigun would be marginally faster.
Attached Images

Last edited by 84.monsoon : 12th April 2021 at 20:12.
84.monsoon is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 12th April 2021, 21:46   #1510
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
2.2-litre mHawk diesel that makes 130 BHP and 320 Nm
Correction - the mHawk makes 300 Nm of maximum torque.
cool_dube is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2021, 02:18   #1511
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The off-roader is available with two engine options. These include a 2.0-litre, 4-cylinder mStallion petrol that produces 150 BHP and 320 Nm and a 2.2-litre mHawk diesel that makes 130 BHP and 320 Nm.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Correction - the mHawk makes 300 Nm of maximum torque.
Yes - both the engines make 300nm torque - only the petrol automatic makes 320nm...
ph03n!x is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2021, 11:35   #1512
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
The petrol is a class apart in acceleration. 0-100 in 10.2 seconds is just wow! It is faster than most SUVs in its price bracket and even a couple of price brackets above and below.
Having test-driven both diesel (MT) and petrol (AT) (link (Mahindra Thar: Petrol vs Diesel) to relevant post), I can vouch for the mind-blowing performance of the mStallion mill. It is a FIRECRACKER of an engine!! It has enough and more grunt across the power band, thereby making both city and highway driving a pleasure. I specifically tried some overtaking maneuvers at speeds in the range of 80-90 km/h and boy, all it takes is a slight tap of the gas pedal and before you know it, you are already ahead of the vehicle you were planning to overtake

Add to it the refinement & finesse of the petrol mill and the superb gearbox, and you have a lovely drivetrain. I am simply in love with the petrol AT Thar!!

Last edited by cool_dube : 13th April 2021 at 11:46.
cool_dube is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 13th April 2021, 18:44   #1513

I can't for the life of me understand why theyve not allowed bookings for the petrol convertible option even now. Surely they would get enough orders for a couple of production batches.
Kc93 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2021, 20:35   #1514
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kc93 View Post
I can't for the life of me understand why theyve not allowed bookings for the petrol convertible option even now. Surely they would get enough orders for a couple of production batches.
Don’t expect that to happen for few more months to come, unless the waiting time eases out a bit they are not going to accept bookings for low demand variants. Although it’s saddening to wait but that’s the blunt reality it seems.
Old 13th April 2021, 20:55   #1515

Petrol AT, MT HTs allowed last I checked.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks