Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th March 2024, 14:00   #391

Re: BMW 3-Series Gran Limousine Review (Long Wheelbase)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
He is talking old stuff and probably amateur, trust me you are in good company here when it comes to such things.

We are not talking about older premium fuels that were regular, plus some additives. XP95 and similar HP models now have higher Octane, which is what these cars need.
Thanks Turbanator, I believe I'll switch to XP95 or HP95 whichever is available and the trusted fuel pump near to my house so I can continue with them with their trusted service.
My SA also advise that the car is also compliant with E20 fuel since India is shifting to that now, which obviously will cause more harm in the long run I believe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorhead3321 View Post
Yes fully agree with you.
======
Hence the insistence on fuel additives by the dealers.
Thanks Motorhead,
Yes I'm too in the same boat as you, just a working car enthusiast with knowledge not more than an average joe, but blessed to be a BHPian and receiving help from my fellow members to gain more knowledge.

FYI, i did the TD of GLC300 just before finalising 330Li but it just wasn't fun enough. The engine did not have that grunt that BMW provided, although SUV vs Sedan is not really comparable, but I still expected more punch out of GLC300, which was not even close the the Beemer. Plus the exhaust note was a big NO for me. And yes, there isn't a better sound than the cold start of a Beemer
Sid9306 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th March 2024, 02:05   #392

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid9306 View Post
My SA also advise that the car is also compliant with E20 fuel since India is shifting to that now, which obviously will cause more harm in the long run I believe.

Yes @sid9306. The clarification regarding e20 fuel is give in the owners manual section of my BMW app . You may check the FAQ section. It specifies that the 330li is compliant with E20 like how your service advisor also confirmed.

I have not driven the GLC300 to date, as it was launched after my purchase. GlC300 addresses all the shortfalls of the c200, at least on paper,f nearly but at a cost o 20 lac. At that price point, the M340i will be the most attractive dinosaur, given the popularity the car is enjoying with the tuners.

Thanks for the update!!!

Last edited by Turbanator : 14th March 2024 at 05:25. Reason: Please proofread posts.
Motorhead3321 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th March 2024, 05:35   #393
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Just adding to the longevity point:
Any modern-day engine, as basic as on an Alto, can advance or retard the timing by factoring in octane, oxygen etc. Older cars used to Knock when they had a lower octane fuel, but not any longer. However, a lower octane fuel on a modern engine may give a different output than the manufacturer intended, as it will not run at the optimum tune. All the adjustments happen via ECU, and there are no mechanical parts. On the contrary, a modern engine on BMW should always be used with 95 Octane fuel; that's the natural diet in plain language

Quote:
BMW has chosen the minimum 91 rating with fuel additives route to align better with the fluctuations in the Indian fuel market. Hence, dealers insist on fuel additives.
Please Email BMW India and ask what they recommend—using 95-octane fuel or 91-octane plus the fuel additives—and post here whatever they answer. I am not buying these additive stories from salespeople, whether it's BMW, MB, or Porsche.

Last edited by Turbanator : 15th March 2024 at 07:30. Reason: Minor edit. Quoted post/ reply edit- Piston - ECU
Turbanator is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 15th March 2024, 17:05   #394

Quote:
I have not driven the GLC300 to date, as it was launched after my purchase. GlC300 addresses all the shortfalls of the c200, at least on paper,f nearly but at a cost o 20 lac. At that price point, the M340i will be the most attractive dinosaur, given the popularity the car is enjoying with the tuners.
True at this price point M340i is also attractive but both serve a different purpose. To be honest, after driving the M340i I didn’t feel it’s meant for our roads, stiffer suspension, lower GC as well. Although it’ll put a smile on your face for a few road stretches, most of the other roads will have you fretting to drive slowly and carefully. It’s not a daily driver.

X3 M40i could be a great option for those looking for the thrill as well as practicality of an SUV.

My brother is driving the C200 W205 purchased in 2016 and it still drives butter smooth as compared to when I TD the GLC300.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
However, a lower octane fuel on a modern engine may give a different output than the manufacturer intended, as it will not run at the optimum tune.
Thanks Turbanator, I did some research and found XP95 is the true 95 octane fuel whereas HP95 is 91 octane with additives. Although it might be old news so not sure. Is IOC XP95 the best option as of now?

Last edited by Turbanator : 15th March 2024 at 17:38. Reason: Quoted post trimmed.
Sid9306 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th March 2024, 17:37   #395
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I did some research and found XP95 is the true 95 octane fuel whereas HP95 is 91 octane with additives. Although it might be old news so not sure.
The older HP95 was indeed regular fuel plus additives. But they made changes last Year and relaunched the product. Though this article does not say clearly, we have a HP Operated bunk near our office at Gurgaon, and the manager there categorically told me about Octane 95.

https://www.hindustanpetroleum.com/NewsroomDetails/390

Quote:
Is IOC XP95 the best option as of now?
Absolutely, XP95 makes so much sense for all these European cars. The additives the manufacturer sells may help the fuel system, so I will probably use these occasionally. But as an addition to 95 octane fuel and not as a replacement.

We have a dedicated thread about fuel and let's continue discussions there.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...thread-34.html (Speed 97 and High RON petrol discussion thread)
Turbanator is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th March 2024, 18:17   #396
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Yes @sid9306. The clarification regarding e20 fuel is give in the owners manual section of my BMW app . You may check the FAQ section. It specifies that the 330li is compliant with E20 like how your service advisor also confirmed.
BMW’s Petrol engines available in India are E25 compatible even before the E20 rule/fuel was brought into the country.

Both your 330Li’s are E25 compatible.

And IOCL’s XP95 is E12.

Attaching a picture of the owner’s manual.

BMW 3-Series Gran Limousine Review (Long Wheelbase)-8cd59d80ea6545eea85cc85a8f01f15e.jpeg

Last edited by CEF_Beasts : 15th March 2024 at 18:18.
CEF_Beasts is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th March 2024, 20:05   #397
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the great responses Motorhead and Turbanator,

I intend to keep the car for long, 10+ years, considering it could be one of the last 3 series with RWD and a ZF gearbox as BMW moves to FWD and DCTs.

I spoke to the sales advisor from Deutsche Motor after the car purchase, and he advised me to use normal petrol since premium would just increase costs unnecessarily. However, I get your point too, especially about the car's longevity.
When you open the fuel lid, it clearly mentions RON 95 and below that (MIN 91) in brackets. Its same also for my 2020 Rapid Tsi. This basically means the recommended is 95 Octane however in exceptional/ emergency cases 91 can be used and you shouldn't go below that.

Page 315 of the Owner's Manual (from the My BMW app) under section Operating Fluids, it clearly says 'The engine is designed to run on patrol complying with DIN EN228. Super, RON 95'. Also in the previous page it says ' When using fuel of the minimum quality RON 91 or fuel with ethanol content of more than 10% to a maximum of 25%, knocking noises as well as driving and acoustic abnormalities may occur'.

Last edited by Altocumulus : 18th March 2024 at 20:08.
Altocumulus is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2024, 11:49   #398
BHPian

From a recent trip to Keylong
Attached Thumbnails
BMW 3-Series Gran Limousine Review (Long Wheelbase)-img_2142.jpeg  

Bimmer_Sage is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 24th March 2024, 15:30   #399
BHPian

Quote:
True at this price point M340i is also attractive but both serve a different purpose. To be honest, after driving the M340i I didn’t feel it’s meant for our roads, stiffer suspension, lower GC as well. Although it’ll put a smile on your face for a few road stretches, most of the other roads will have you fretting to drive slowly and carefully. It’s not a daily driver.
I use the M340i as a daily driver. Does it mean I have to be careful of the road conditions? Yes, absolutely. But the tradeoff is amazing performance vs comfort. Your use case and conditions might be different (for e.g. the number of people in the car, usage, etc..) In my case, I'm the only one in the car, so its not a big deal.

The B58 is an amazing engine, and most likely the last of its kind. BMW and Toyota have collaborated on this engine (its used in the Supra as well, I don't know why Toyota doesn't bring that car to India) and Toyota has emphatically stated that due to tightening emissions norms, they will not be going any further with the development for the B58.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer_Sage View Post
From a recent trip to Keylong
Looks really cool, especially with the background

Quote:
Thanks Turbanator, I believe I'll switch to XP95 or HP95 whichever is available and the trusted fuel pump near to my house so I can continue with them with their trusted service.
Quote:
And yes, please use XP95 as the primary fuel. If needed in an emergency, use the regular. As always, we wish you happy and safe motoring

p.s. I am not sponsored or employed by the oil companies
BeMyWings is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th March 2024, 12:18   #400
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeMyWings View Post
I use the M340i as a daily driver. Does it mean I have to be careful of the road conditions? Yes, absolutely. But the tradeoff is amazing performance vs comfort. Your use case and conditions might be different (for e.g. the number of people in the car, usage, etc..) In my case, I'm the only one in the car, so its not a big deal.

The B58 is an amazing engine, and most likely the last of its kind. BMW and Toyota have collaborated on this engine (its used in the Supra as well, I don't know why Toyota doesn't bring that car to India) and Toyota has emphatically stated that due to tightening emissions norms, they will not be going any further with the development for the B58.
I absolutely agree on this. I live in Mumbai and do kind of a weekly commute to Pune. While I enjoy the B48 motor on the 3GL for most part of the journey, on the 10 minute twists of Khandala Ghats, I miss the chassis of the 340i. It's not more of the outright power of the 6 cylinder, but the stiffness and chassis is something I really miss, especially after they have softened the 3GL for the backseat. I have taken a conscious trade off by picking the 3GL, however do I miss the 340i on the bends, absolutely yes. For majority of the folks a four door sedan has to be a bit more practical and that's where the 3GL comes into play. Respect for the 340i always. Hoping to keep a comfortable sedan and soon get a 2 door sports car! Aspirational indeed.
cedricsg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2024, 20:26   #401

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeMyWings View Post

And yes, please use XP95 as the primary fuel. If needed in an emergency, use the regular. As always, we wish you happy and safe motoring
I stuck to the strategy of 91 octane along with additive for mainly for consistency.
But the collective wisdom of the forum is largely advising 95 octane (XP95).
So starting from the next refuel will switch to XP95 for good.
Requesting forum members to advise on a reliable Indian oil in North Bangalore preferably a COCO.
At the end of the day will do what suits best for my baby and her motor.
Motorhead3321 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2024, 08:28   #402
BHPian

Another one from the trip to Himachal
This is north side of Atal Tunnel
Attached Thumbnails
BMW 3-Series Gran Limousine Review (Long Wheelbase)-img_2132.jpeg  

Bimmer_Sage is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2024, 11:42   #403
BHPian

Hi BHPians,

I m in the process of finalizing 320Ld. I will be taking this car from Deutsche Motoren Bangalore. I have couple of questions on the insurance including Tyre Secure

1. I believe tyre secure is covered in the first year of insurance as a separate add on. Please confirm if my understanding is correct
2. I got a call from the dealer if I would like to extend this to 2nd year at a cost of 80k approx. I would like to understand if there’s any merit in doing this? Won’t my comprehensive insurance of 2nd year already cover tyre and other consumables?
3. What additional benefit I will have with this in comparison to a comprehensive insurance?
mudhasir is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2024, 12:14   #404
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudhasir View Post
Hi BHPians,

I m in the process of finalizing 320Ld. I will be taking this car from Deutsche Motoren Bangalore. I have couple of questions on the insurance including Tyre Secure

1. I believe tyre secure is covered in the first year of insurance as a separate add on. Please confirm if my understanding is correct
2. I got a call from the dealer if I would like to extend this to 2nd year at a cost of 80k approx. I would like to understand if there’s any merit in doing this? Won’t my comprehensive insurance of 2nd year already cover tyre and other consumables?
3. What additional benefit I will have with this in comparison to a comprehensive insurance?

Firstly, you can take the insurance from outside and it will be considerably cheaper. I got mine with all addons including RTI, etc for less than INR 1.2L outside compared to the 3L BMW wanted. BMW Secure for tyres and rims is free for first year and comes with the car. You can take it separately as well for the 2nd year. The benefit is, if the rims are bent by hitting a porthole and they will replace it even it if it is drivable. Normal insurance maynot pay if it is drivable.

Last edited by Altocumulus : 2nd April 2024 at 12:17.
Altocumulus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2024, 13:52   #405
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altocumulus View Post
Firstly, you can take the insurance from outside and it will be considerably cheaper. I got mine with all addons including RTI, etc for less than INR 1.2L outside compared to the 3L BMW wanted. BMW Secure for tyres and rims is free for first year and comes with the car. You can take it separately as well for the 2nd year. The benefit is, if the rims are bent by hitting a porthole and they will replace it even it if it is drivable. Normal insurance maynot pay if it is drivable.
Thank you. I went ahead with insurance from BMW as it was offered at 1.26 lacs post negotiation. On the tyre secure, the premium of 80k for 2nd year and the benefit in terms of coverage you mentioned doesn't add up. I honestly believe either there is more to it that I am probably missing from your response above or this is probably not worth it as my 2nd year comprehensive insurance will anyways cover any damages to tyre.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks