Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th March 2022, 22:47   #61
Distinguished - BHPian

re: 2022 Maruti Baleno Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
IMHO, it's a facelift only, although a very well-executed one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
Hmm, facelift is generally cosmetic changes and addition of few features. But the 2022 Baleno has different suspension, brakes, body, engine, seats, etc.
Having seen their parts catalogue in detail, this is what I believe. Baleno 2022 is analogous to what Alto(2000 to 2011) to Alto 800(2012 and beyond) transition was. Platform is same, the seat anchorage points, engine and suspension mounts are same, floor panel is 90% same and largely shared with Old Baleno(few parts like center tunnel is changed). But there are a lot of reinforcements everywhere and thus I'm hopeful of some good crash test results. They have changed the skin, panels, suspension and almost everything, but there is a significant amount of Old Baleno still left. So people are free to conclude themselves what they want to call this model as, but one thing is sure, this is one heavily updated model and not a mere facelift. An entirely all new car, definitely no!

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (35) Thanks
Old 5th March 2022, 22:58   #62
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
Baleno 2022
Better to mention it this way than calling it facelift . Even new Baleno is fine.

Quote:
They have changed the skin, panels, suspension and almost everything, but there is a significant amount of Old Baleno still left.
That's what Maruti wanted. They didn't want to make it look like a completely different car.

Quote:
So people are free to conclude themselves what they want to call this model as, but one thing is sure, this is one heavily updated model and not a mere facelift. An entirely all new car, definitely no!
Dr.Naren is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th March 2022, 23:25   #63
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
Hmm, facelift is generally cosmetic changes and addition of few features. But the 2022 Baleno has different suspension, brakes, body, engine, seats, etc.

Suzuki global press release also states this is the first time Baleno has undergone a full model change. Baleno did receive a very minor facelift (grill, bumper etc) before.

Attachment 2280180
The Jeep compass had an entirely new interior, mild exterior changes, revised suspension and a host of new features but was still a facelift.

BMW brings out an LCI (life cycle impulse) model which is a mid cycle refresh and they don't call it as all new. The 3 series LCI had a completely new suspension design, a new power steering, new engines and exterior changes. However it was still not a new gen until the G series.

Maruti has definitely done a host of changes to the new Baleno but it's definitely just an improved V2.0 more than a new generation. Tata Harrier V2.0 even had new welding technology change in V2.0 for better rigidity and even they didn't call it an all new Harrier.
Vid6639 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 6th March 2022, 07:09   #64
BHPian

Hi ,full model change happens in its true sense when the entire BIW itself changes. The dead giveaway for this will be a change in wheelbase ( only possible with a new BIW interna panels/ floorpan). Also the body rigidity figures will be mentioned.

For the Baleno,it is a facelift. All attachment panels like ,fender ,bumper etc might be new ( remember these are just attachments to the BIW and in no way are part of the structure,technically you can remove all these and drive around). Another easy giveaway will be the same shape/profile of the doors/ boot and the side profile. This wlll be same with some small gimmicks like door beading or window sash in chrome to fool our eyes.

Having said that a lot of improvements beyond a facelift ( like they did for the wagonr r ),no denying that.

Like mentioned in another post,this trend was started by toyota in Japan, I think for the crown and all. Two generations of crown ran on same platform. interior and exterior styling were changed,but the gve away was the side profile. The doors were still the same.

Closer to home the same was done long time ago for the M800 facelift and the zen facelift.

This practice allows manufacturers to claim all new and also bring changes in 4 years to the market ( Japan used to follow 4 to 5 year lifecycle). Now this is another way t maximise ROI and also give a reasonably priced product to the end customer. A win win perhaps

Last edited by Nanolover : 6th March 2022 at 07:14.
Old 6th March 2022, 09:19   #65
BHPian

It is clear that Team BHP Mods have decided it is a facelift and are sticking to their guns, as they have the right to. With respect to Structural changes, I think all will be revealed when a structure comparison is done for old and new/facelifted Baleno by one of our esteemed members as was done For Hyundai / KIA.
Just for reference, the Wagon-R, Ignis and Celerio are built on the same platform with identical wheelbase. Even within the same platform, there is a degree of modularity which allows an OEM to tweek Seat Height and wheelbase as well . Incidentally, the Swift, Dzire, Baleno, Ertiga are all on the same platform. In fact, based on whatever information that is available on internet, the all new Suzuki-Toyota EV will also be built on the same Baleno modified platform.
I will be very very interested to see how the new Brezza will be classified as it too is based on same platform as current Brezza and mostly has visible outer panel change based on scoop pics available.
Carma2017 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th March 2022, 10:18   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Maruti has definitely done a host of changes to the new Baleno but it's definitely just an improved V2.0 more than a new generation.
Bit off topic:
Does 5th Generation Honda City constitute a new model or extensive facelift as it is based 4th generation Honda City?
FrozeninTime is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th March 2022, 20:23   #67
BHPian

https://www.rushlane.com/2022-maruti...-12428906.html

Crash test done inadvertently.
Old 7th March 2022, 19:06   #68
BHPian

Well, IMO - a facelift is a usually a cosmetic procedure done to an aging car so that the manufacturer can get some more sales numbers with minimal investment.

As per my understanding, the new Baleno has ALL new body panels - even though the side looks remarkably similar to the outgoing design, the crisp body line that originates at the rear fenders continues till the front fender as opposed to the flowing body line in the outgoing model. The latest design has been given haunches that makes it look more aggressive instead of the erstwhile curvy design.

Since the new design is unmistakably Baleno, it is not perhaps coming across as a new car.

The inside too as we all know, practically feels like a new car.

I think I heard during the launch that they spent close to 1100 crores on designing and releasing this new Baleno. I am not sure though how close this amount is when we compare it to a new release from ground up. A new engine and chasis I am sure would have cost them a lot more so that way they sure have saved a chunk. Perhaps that could be one reason some of us are having trouble accepting this as a new release and thus christening it as a facelift.
Gupts007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2022, 20:02   #69
BHPian

Super review for a superb car. Maruti Suzuki has done a splendid job in all areas.
While the last Balenos touch entertainment system was a Harman unit. Donno what this new has. Rumors that it's a Clarion.
harbinder_s is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2022, 07:07   #70
BHPian

Mod Note : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further. Request to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 9th March 2022 at 08:16.
Fastdriver is offline   Received Infraction
Old 8th March 2022, 16:27   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineetklkrn View Post

After having compared the two, as I said your convenience is already obtained when compared to manual even with AMT. However if you are an enthusiast and want to rev hard without any hassle CVT is better.
I am surprised you found Honda City CVT for enthusiasts. It a smooth transmission no doubt, but it takes its sweet time to overtake on the highways.

I am have driven the 5th gen city CVT, Ignis AMT and Dzire Petrol AMT and I found that AMT is better for overtaking part anyday as compared to CVT of the City, however its no match for a DSG or slick MT.
buntee90 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2022, 18:08   #72
Mjk

Very useful review and snaps.
Looks like Maruti is going comeback hard by upping their offering quality.
Its good leap in quite sometime as far as features is concerned and smart move as far as pricing is concerned. It will definitely worry all from Tata, Koreans etc and even tilt the decision of prospetive buyers hanging on to decide being Premium hatch , Micro SUV and to extent C-SUV.

With this expectations with next generation Brezza and S Cross have also move to next level. Hope Maruti ticks all the Boxes.
Old 8th March 2022, 18:44   #73
Senior - BHPian

New TVC: Dapper Goes Bold - The New Age Baleno

nairrk is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2022, 21:01   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by buntee90 View Post
I am surprised you found Honda City CVT for enthusiasts. It a smooth transmission no doubt, but it takes its sweet time to overtake on the highways.
Honda City provides much more power in a quick time than what Dzire offered. Which is indeed the reason for finding it better while overtaking. But still Dzire AMT wasn't overtaking friendly. Atleast I used to struggle.
Old 8th March 2022, 23:31   #75
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
The Jeep compass had an entirely new interior, mild exterior changes, revised suspension and a host of new features but was still a facelift.
Obviously, it's just a facelift .

Quote:
Maruti has definitely done a host of changes to the new Baleno but it's definitely just an improved V2.0 more than a new generation.
I fail to understand how it is a facelift or just an improved V2.0 when body shell, floor panel etc is different. Not to forget the additional reinforcements too.

If it's just a facelift, it should be easy to swap the new parts and convert the old Baleno into new..But No, not possible

Autocar review has explained it very well.

Quote:
The reason the new Maruti Suzuki Baleno looks a lot like the old Maruti Baleno, says the team that developed it (at a not inconsiderable cost of Rs 1,150 crore), is that they wanted people to recognise it as nothing but a Baleno. They certainly achieved that and then some, because it looks perhaps a little too much like the car it replaces, to the point that many might mistake it for a mere facelift. That couldn’t be further from the truth though, as this is a brand-new model from the grounds up, with entirely different body panels, a completely new interior, improved safety and lots more equipment. In short, it’s way more than meets the eye.
https://www.autocarindia.com/car-rev...the-eye-423623

Last edited by Dr.Naren : 8th March 2022 at 23:44.
Dr.Naren is offline   (9) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks