Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st April 2022, 20:46   #46
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Tata Altroz DCA Review | 1.2L Petrol Automatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ411 View Post
One of my colleague had recently purchased a golden yellow 1.2 NA Altroz. I asked him why he didn't go for turbo petrol. His answer was "I am sedate driver who very rarely pushes the car hard."
Sedate drivers do just as well in a Maruti Alto 796cc as well. What we have to understand is that a more powerful engine isn't just for "drag races". It also:

- Makes overtaking easier & faster.

- Makes driving with a full load of passengers more effortless.

- Is more pleasurable to drive.

- Ensures a superior overall ownership & driving experience.

- Could bring better resale value.

- You won't get bored of the car that soon, and might keep it for longer (How a more expensive car can work out cheaper (if you hold onto it for longer)).

- I have yet to meet a SINGLE person who regretted going for the more powerful engine. However, I have met hundreds who regretted going for the 0.8L instead of the 1.0, the 1.4 instead of the 1.6, the 2.0 instead of the 3.0.

- Etc. etc.

As a car enthusiast and a reasonably knowledgeable car owner, I can think of a zillion reasons to go for the better engine.

Last edited by GTO : 1st April 2022 at 20:47.
GTO is offline   (43) Thanks
Old 1st April 2022, 21:10   #47
BHPian

An accident happens when 2 vehicles are trying to cross the same point on the road at the same time.

To avoid an accident, as a driver, you can do 2 things. Either cross that point before the other vehicle, or do it afterwards.

With an engine that lacks power, you inadvertently let go of one of the options to safety (crossing the point before the other car). The only option to avoid catastrophe is to brake. But guess what, in cars/bikes with less powerful engines, more often than not, even the braking is compromised.

Finally, what if the situation presented on the road does not have a safe "slow down" option? What if the only way to safety is to accelerate out of the situation?

Moral of the story: Crash tests are not everything. The best way to stay safe in a crash is to not have one. A more powerful car is safer because it has an additional method of avoiding an accident not available to the less powerful car.
antz.bin is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 1st April 2022, 21:54   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by antz.bin View Post

Moral of the story: Crash tests are not everything. The best way to stay safe in a crash is to not have one. A more powerful car is safer because it has an additional method of avoiding an accident not available to the less powerful car.

100% agree with this, powerful engine is one of the safety factors which people tend to over-look. Being a sedate driver doesn't mean one cannot get in to trouble and a having a good engine can help a lot in such scenarios.
I've been saved atleast a couple of times from messy situations because of having a decently powerful engine. Once at an intersection where I was able to accelerate away quickly from an incoming vehicle and other another time where I made a bad overtake from left side.
delusional_fool is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2022, 16:42   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
As a car enthusiast and a reasonably knowledgeable car owner, I can think of a zillion reasons to go for the better engine.
I would like to add effortless high speed cruising for the driver and car and overall better nvh as a bigger engine will likely be at lower revs at highway cruising than a smaller engine (both with optimised gear ratios)

Last edited by Aditya : 4th April 2022 at 16:15. Reason: Quoted text trimmed
Sumer is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2022, 03:54   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by antz.bin View Post

I don't think anyone plans to have a crash. Nor is a crash always linked to one driver. Agree with the benefits of a faster car but let's not write off crash test ratings. They are not mutually exclusive.
Bluengel180 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 4th April 2022, 09:24   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Sedate drivers do just as well in a Maruti Alto 796cc as well. What we have to understand is that a more powerful engine isn't just for "drag races". It also:
Rightly said. It was his personal choice at the end of day.

Having spent so much time in this forum, i personally will always go far a car with more power/grunt. No change in that
RJ411 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th April 2022, 16:33   #52
Senior - BHPian

Given a choice ( by this I mean budget), I would prefer a more powerful car even if I am a sedate driver. Power on tap is more useful in every way. And a well built, heavier car, even if mileage is a casualty.

Last edited by simplyself : 6th April 2022 at 16:35.
Old 16th April 2022, 18:56   #53
BHPian

Excellent mileage returned by DCA in real world conditions in this video. Claimed mileage is 18.1 kmpl but the car returned 21.1!. Advantage of having one more gear than the manual.
Old 16th April 2022, 19:33   #54
Senior - BHPian

Although I was expecting the the DCA on the iTurbo too but TML went with NA only to see how the gearbox performs in the hands if the customers without adding too much load and expectations, IMHO.

The moment they launch the iTurbo DCA we'll immediately compare it to the i20/N-Line which is a car/powertrain that has been around for some time with the niggles sorted.
First impression matters.

So it would make sense to iron out the issues with the gearbox first with a limited number of customers, implement the fixes to the gearbox and then launch it with the iTurbo so its a fair comparison, IMHO.
Although I do hope that they also tweak the 1.2 iTurbo to make power comparable/better than the Nexon and also have it rev to 6000+ rpms.
That would be a good competition to the i20.

Why can't they do it during their tests ? No idea, maybe this is an exercise to test out the capability of their service network in handling the future kit like the DCA which they aren't used to.
Or maybe they're following their tradition of using customers as beta testers like they did with the Harrier

Agree with folks on the larger/powerful engine is anyday better. If anyone has any doubts I suggest to TD the wagonR 1.0 and 1.2 in sequence.
The 1.2 isn't just more refined, powerful and easy to drive but will actually return better FE in city. I drove one and those nasty speed breakers where the 1.0 needed to be in 1st to avoid stalling, the 1.2 was pulling in 2nd without slipping the clutch.

Last edited by shancz : 16th April 2022 at 19:35. Reason: typos c
Old 26th April 2022, 12:07   #55
BHPian

The engine sounds loud but not harsh, also the shifts seem to be like a torque converter rather than a DCT.
https://youtube.com/clip/UgkxDZLsbDh...m1-6aY68wn3XYC
Old 4th May 2022, 07:12   #56
Distinguished - BHPian

We went to the Tata dealership for the PDI of our Safari XZA+ Dark yesterday. I test drove the Altroz DCA.

Tata Altroz DCA Review | 1.2L Petrol Automatic-20220503_162221.jpg

I have no experience of driving AT cars, except for a few occasions (some premium cars like 370z & V40), regular ones like Polo GT 1.2 TSI & Ignis 1.2 AMT. So I don't want to share the entirety of what I felt driving the Altroz DCA.

Tata Altroz DCA Review | 1.2L Petrol Automatic-20220503_163312.jpg

It definitely was smoother than the Ignis AMT. But it is only for the sedate drivers. It makes a lot of sense for metropolitan dwellers and senior citizens/women who want a stress free driving experience in B2B traffic.

On the open roads, when you floor the pedal, you can only hear the RPM build up(it went upto 5000 rpm), but there is absolutely no progress for 1-1.5 seconds after the accelerator is applied. And then, there is progress which isn't anything to talk about.

Altroz DCA will be a peaceful car for those who don't have a heavy right foot. Sedate drivers will appreciate the driving experience.

I never thought I would say this, but given the choice between 1.2 N/A MT & DCA, I would rather pick the 1.2 MT Altroz over the DCA. But then, it's my usage requirements, being 70% highways and the rest - tier 2 city traffic. Between Altroz 1.2 DCA & Ignis 1.2 AMT, the latter felt more exciting to drive.

Tata should have given the DCT in turbo petrol or turbo diesel engine combinations. The 1.2 N/A DCA retails at 11.7 lakhs OTR for the top end XZ+(exactly same as diesel). It's a good 2 lakhs over their N/A variant.

I was wondering what was special in the 1.2 GT TSI when compared to our 1.6 GT TDI MT a few years back. The Polo GT TSI didn't feel much better or faster than the 1.6 GT TDI. But now, after experiencing the 1.2 Altroz DCA, I can clearly feel the importance of a powerful engine + fast AT. A Polo 1.2 GT TSI owner will absolutely loathe the Altroz DCA. The DCA deserves a more powerful engine.

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 4th May 2022 at 07:20.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th May 2022, 16:20   #57

I test drove the Altroz DCA a few days back and me & my family are quite impressed with the car overall. A question that I have for which I did not get a clear answer from the sales exec is whether pressing the central locking button near the gear when the car is in motion would result in the doors unlocking. While unlikely, if it really is the case, it would be a concern for us as we have a small kid who would be quite interested in pressing it to see what happens.
Also, another question in mind is would the Beleno with six airbags be safer overall (incl side impact) than the Altroz with two airbags.
tsniranjan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2022, 16:14   #58
BHPian

Hi. Don't see many updates on Altroz DCA. Are they selling any?
Old 18th May 2022, 09:44   #59
BHPian

Hi All,

I have booked Tata Altroz XZA+ DCA one month ago. Now I am waiting for delivery and it is taking longer than expected time ( Both delaer and TAMO are clueless). So I am giving second thoughts. This one is touching 11.5L OTR. Nexon is coming to my mind.

My requirements
1. Safety (no compromise whatsoever)
2. Petrol automatic (not amt hater but good if I get other options)
3. Rear seat comfort (not necessarily bigger but should be good for 4 passengers)

I had learnt driving recently. I took the test drive of Altroz DCA and found it very smooth (since I am a newbie I can't judge on engine pickup and power as of now).

I don't like Nexon exterior and interiors are just ok for me (rear design of nexon is an eyesore). Whereas I am in love with Altroz looks and interiors.

I am in a dilemma to choose between good engine (nexon amt) vs good automatic (altroz dca). I am not sure if NA engine with 86PS power and 113NM torque is sufficient for me. (Currently I enjoy driving sedately but not sure how it goes in future when I need to overtake)

What are your thoughts. Which one suits for my requirements. I am ok to stretch budget to nexon only if that 2L extra money is worth to spend.
Old 1st June 2022, 19:11   #60
BHPian

Below vlog from a well known youtuber GeekyRanjit points out a serious drawback of Tata Altroz AT (as well as Punch) and why he went to buy Baleno AT. Hope TATA sees this and does something

peace

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks