Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th August 2023, 19:23   #16
BHPian

Re: Mercedes GLC SUV Review

Great review!! Thank you!

Wow! Already 8 months waiting? Guess there is so much demand for luxury cars. I was waiting for the price announcement and a possible test drive before deciding (admittedly stretching much beyond what I would have liked to spend on an upgrade from my current 3.2L Endeavour). Not sure if this makes sense.

Also had couple of questions / clarification requests.
1. Most video reviews mentioned, the seat massager is not available any more.

2. "Off-road engineering package, which gives an additional 20 mm of ground clearance", since adaptive suspension is not available, how does the 20 mm increase happen dynamically?

3. " The all-black combination is exclusively reserved for the Silver shade". Is there a silver colour on offer (other than the Mojave Silver)?

4. Any other luxury segment models you would recommend?
* Ideally like to have an SUV feel
* Latest generation (not mid-life already)
* Level 2 ADAS (at least most of it) and high safety tech
* Petrol with >10km/l efficiency

Thanks in advance for your valuable guidance.

Last edited by Aditya : 9th August 2023 at 18:04. Reason: Edited for better readability
sknair is offline   (2) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 8th August 2023, 19:31   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sknair View Post
Great review!! Thank you!

4. any other Luxury segment models you would recommend for exploration?
* Ideally like to have an SUV feel
* Latest generation (not mid life already)
* Level2 ADAS (at least most of it) and high safety tech
* Petrol with >10k/l efficiency

Thanks in advance for your valuable guidance.
I would think Volvo XC60 would meet most of these requirements. Would love to see a detailed comparison of the two cars, especially since both come with mild hybrid tech.
Old 8th August 2023, 20:42   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
2. "Off-road engineering package, which gives an additional 20 mm of ground clearance", since adaptive suspension is not available, how does the 20mm increase happen dynamically?
Off-road Engineering Package present in the Indian GLC means it will be raised by 20mm from factory compared to the international-spec GLC. You cannot cannot alter the height of the car while on the road.
CEF_Beasts is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th August 2023, 21:21   #19
BHPian

A very good car but its missing key features that are available elsewhere. Few points that I have noted -

1) Missing keyless entry - no words to explain this omission.

2) No adaptive cruise control. In most markets Mercedes Benz offers the Distronic adaptive cruise control as an option at least, if not as part of the drivers assistant package.

3) No seat ventilation but heated seats provided which is weird.

4) No separate climate zone for the rear passengers (competition provides it i.e. X3, Q5, XC60 etc.)

5) Those footboards are useless. I don't know why manufacturers provide them in crossovers that are fairly low slung. All it does it make ingress and egress difficult and your clothes dirty.

6) Reflector LED headlights looks cheap, instead of the Digital Light with projection function that comes in other markets with certain trim levels.

7) Interiors are top notch and the car looks great.

8) Both powertrain options come with AWD.

9) That diesel engine is a gem and will be very fuel efficient.

10) Pricing will approach 90 lakhs on-road for certain markets.
inwester is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 8th August 2023, 21:33   #20
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Also had couple of questions/clarification request.
1. most video reviews mentioned, the seat massager is not available any more?
2. "Off-road engineering package, which gives an additional 20 mm of ground clearance", since adaptive suspension is not available, how does the 20mm increase happen dynamically?
1 - It is very much there, it was disabled and we had to enable using the menu. Gives option to give massage at intervals. Guess the other reviewers did not take much of trouble to go through the settings.

2- Raised from factory and has a Offroad drive mode, though while activating this drive mode it will pop a warning that it is still in development and not to be used in public space. And disables when the car touches 90 kph if I remember correct.
Jaggu is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th August 2023, 22:47   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
1 - It is very much there, it was disabled and we had to enable using the menu. Gives option to give massage at intervals. Guess the other reviewers did not take much of trouble to go through the settings.
Just to clarify, is it really seat massage or seat kinetics?
Because the one which gives massage at certain intervals is actually seat kinetics feature which keeps adjusting the lumbar support etc. (Not proper massage) in order to reduce driver fatigue.

From what I know from test drive of the last gen GLC, it had a specific option for seat massage apart from seat kinetics and you could use the massage for as long as you want and not at any specific intervals.
Dr.Car is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th August 2023, 08:50   #22
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Car View Post
From what I know from test drive of the last gen GLC, it had a specific option for seat massage apart from seat kinetics and you could use the massage for as long as you want and not at any specific intervals.
Whops you are right, it is seat kinetics. I remember seeing that and then the interval settings.
Jaggu is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th August 2023, 10:39   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadmuncher26 View Post
I would think Volvo XC60 would meet most of these requirements. Would love to see a detailed comparison of the two cars, especially since both come with mild hybrid tech.
I thought the current gen Volvo XC60 is already nearing end of life cycle and the new gen is spotted testing in EU.

Is Jaguar F-Pace in this league?
Old 9th August 2023, 11:13   #24
BHPian

Quote:
I thought the current gen Volvo XC60 is already nearing end of life cycle and the new gen is spotted testing in EU.

Is Jaguar F-Pace in this league?
That's why I said "...most of these requirements..." and not all. By the way, the buzz is that the next XC60 (or EX60 as it is likely to be called) is going to be all electric. See the following post by RahulNagaraj, senior BHPian:

https://www.team-bhp.com/news/next-g...e-electric-suv

So, the current iteration of XC60 is probably the most appropriate comparable to the new GLC. Perhaps, Jaguar F-pace, too. However, as far I know, it comes with a non-hybrid petrol engine. So, in my view, it may not be an apples-to-apples comparison, based on the engine specifications.
roadmuncher26 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2023, 11:15   #25
Senior - BHPian

More of a subjective opinion but I felt the outer looks of the car are very plain vanilla. The type that neither excites nor offends in any way. I feel BMW and Audi have more character in exterior design than recent merc SUVs. Interiors however are absolutely spot on and better than the competition.

From a feature standpoint its amusing that car is feature rich and then on paper comparison would show that all 20-30lac SUVs are also at par or better in some cases. Cars may be very expensive in India relatively due to taxation etc but I am glad that lower segments have gone all out with features and consumer doesnt have to go bankrupt trying to get feature rich cars.
supertinu is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 9th August 2023, 11:30   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romil.shroff View Post
Brown-black interior combo is available for the White & Mojave Silver (as shown in the review) shades. Black and dark-blue shades get the regular beige-black interiors. Wish, Mercedes Benz India had left it to the customer to mix and match these interior and exterior combos.
A showroom in Pune has the black exterior colour with tan (brown) interior. Certainly possible to get that combination.
GoBlue is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2023, 11:37   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romil.shroff View Post
genuine leather upholstery just like most of its siblings.
I don't think real leather will be available going forward considering the rest of the world is moving on to vegan and cruelty free options. Many brands have already switched to synthetic leather entirely even in their flagship offerings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Just like soft touch keys, app based access is the future as I see it. Won't be surprised if the next iteration will have an Auto Unlock with your phones NFC? If so why waste money adding more hardware like request sensors. Just guessing
Cars with NFC and digital keys such as certain higher end BMWs still require you to take your phone out of your pocket and tap the door handle with it and keep your phone in the wireless charging tray to allow you to start your car. It is nowhere near as convenient as just grabbing the door handle, hopping in and hitting the start button.

Mercedes GLC SUV Review-screenshot-20230809-11.11.02-am.png

Keyless Start and Keyless GO are two separate feature packages that are available on Mercedes cars. For some reason, they are not giving us Keyless GO in India on cars that don't come standard with it. It's not really an expensive addon, even with a 200% tax on imported components it shouldn't add much to the cost. Would have preferred to have the option atleast.

Quote:
You won't miss the sedans so much with this GLC. It is pretty competent when it comes to handling, so much so that they have taken the hit risking stiffer ride for a cross over / suv platform.
Gotta agree. Advancements in suspension tech have lead to the gap between sedans and monocoque SUVs shrinking every year. You would be hard pressed to tell the difference unless you are at the track.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadmuncher26 View Post
It's pretty damn good but it's near the end of it's lifecycle and is a generation too old compared to the new GLC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Car View Post
Just to clarify, is it really seat massage or seat kinetics?
Because the one which gives massage at certain intervals is actually seat kinetics feature which keeps adjusting the lumbar support etc. (Not proper massage) in order to reduce driver fatigue.

These are seat kinetics. They are available on all Mercedes cars now including the A class. Seat massage package was included in the last 2 years of the W205 C class and GLC as a bonus near the end of it's lifecycle. I guess they discontinued it because it wasn't that great anyway. It's nowhere near as good as the ones you get in the S class etc. The seat and steering memory package is a lot more useful.
Cresterk is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2023, 13:11   #28
Senior - BHPian

The Prices for the new GLC have been revealed.

- GLC 300 petrol: Rs. 73.5 lakh
- GLC 220d diesel: Rs. 74.5 lakh (ex-showroom India)

Mercedes GLC SUV Review-20230809_131035.jpg

New GLC has already received more than 1500 bookings.

Mercedes GLC SUV Review-20230809_131148.jpg

Rs 100 crore invested in local assembly operation in Mercedes’ Chakan plant for the made-in-India GLC

Mercedes GLC SUV Review-20230809_131253.jpg

Over 13,000 GLCs have been sold in India.

Mercedes GLC SUV Review-20230809_131752.jpg

Link

Last edited by Venkatesh : 9th August 2023 at 13:18.
Venkatesh is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 9th August 2023, 13:13   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
The prices of the New GLC is out

Attachment 2487790
Please share the detailed brochure if anyone has access to. Thanks

Last edited by Sheel : 10th August 2023 at 08:51. Reason: Please capitalize as required. Thanks.
Old 9th August 2023, 13:34   #30
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
The Prices for the new GLC have been revealed.
On-road price in Punjab is around Rs. 84 lakhs, with deliveries starting in late August or early September.

Last edited by Aditya : 4th September 2023 at 16:09. Reason: Capita letters
aseem23 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks