Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 5th June 2010, 19:35   #76
BHPian

Quite a comprehensive report there on the BMW 525d, GTO . It was interesting to read.

Like everyone else, I too feel that the new generation 5 series is based wayy too much on the framework of the current gen 7 series. I believe initially it will be tough for people to be able to tell the difference from the two series (except for us petrol heads). I just feel the new 5 series doesn't have its own identity.

And as for the styling and looks, I still strongly feel that the E60 has a more muscular and aggressive look than the F10, this is definitely not because I'm fortunate enough to own one myself . The F10 looks very understated and doesn't have that 'beasty' look to it.

Gadgets and technology wise, there doesn't to be any major differences apart from the iDrive upgrade, although I haven't seen the ride in person.
Old 6th June 2010, 12:25   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
Regenarative braking has been used in F1 for the last 3-4 seasons. This isn't a gimmick.
Regenerative brake - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Energy is stored in either a flywheel or another battery - for a boost that can be accessed later.
Nice Review GTO. I am still reading it over and over. There are so many things to comment. Wish I could find the time.

Regarding Regenerative Braking: on the F10, read it as INTELLIGENT ALTERNATOR CONTROL. The Alternator is charging the battery only at ideal engine loads. That's all the F10 will have. It is not the gadgets & whistles that the F01 cars had. The F01 kind of setup will make the car prohibitive to maintain.

Just check with the dealer. But this is very intelligent stuff from BMW. Simple but sure pumps out JOY. I must sat Ride it to believe it.
Old 6th June 2010, 13:40   #78
BHPian

Low Ground Clearance
Height Adjustable Seatbelts are a Must
Can u drive the car without the key ? I can see the engine running even when the key is not in range.
There should have been Temperature Control on the Rear too.
This KERS will be a Huge Problem.
Old 7th June 2010, 10:42   #79
GTO
Team-BHP Support

So, I spent some time driving the 330i last weekend. Now, the F10 5 series is the epitome of the "new BMW", while the 3 series is representative of the older philosophy. As an enthusiast, I can tell you that I am extremely happy with the direction that the company has now taken:

- Where the F10 5 series is a breeze to drive in the city, the 330i had a steering that's heavy as my Jeep! The 5 is relaxed when it needs to be, the 330 is always "busy".

- The 5 series took city bumps & potholes rather well and kept its occupants comfy. The 330i, on the other hand, sends a harsh jolt to the insides, and keeps passengers aware of every pimple on the tarmac below.

- Looks : I personally love the clean lines of the new 5 (& 7 series) and hate the front end of the 3 series. Sure, the 330i's side & rear profile are still liveable. But the front is weird. Looks are subjective, and we can find supporters for either design philosophy (clean versus edgy). However, there is simply no debate on the fact that the new design approach has broader appeal.

In my books, the new 5 has a superior balance (in ride, handling and comfort) than the older car ever did. After all, we aren't talking about a Porsche 911 here. The F10 is a better car to live with on a daily basis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S350L-E240 View Post
Coming to manual cars, GTO I think the C in limited numbers is made in manual as the dealer here has a nice black C220 CDI with manual transmission
Would be old stock, S350. I've been told that Mercedes has discontinued the manual tranny altogether.

Quote:
Also is the engine in the 530d/525d a whole new block or is it a carry over?
I think its a carryover.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quattroa4 View Post
i can not understand the problems with these manufacturers , why cant they give an option for that ? just keep an option open for manual trannys and those who wants to buy will buy .
As I mentioned earlier, the C Class was offered with a manual 6 speed, was 1.5 lakhs cheaper, and yet didn't sell at all (read = less than 10% of sales). Logistically, its very expensive to offer an option that doesn't move off showroom floors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63 View Post
A VERY valid point. BMW or anyone else for that matter should give the owner the choice of running whatever tyres one wants.
Agreed. IMHO, the compulsory runflats + lack of spare is the biggest disadvantage to the new 5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazyking View Post
Like everyone else, I too feel that the new generation 5 series is based wayy too much on the framework of the current gen 7 series. I believe initially it will be tough for people to be able to tell the difference from the two series (except for us petrol heads).
From the sales POV, that can only be a good thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by supercars View Post
Can u drive the car without the key ? I can see the engine running even when the key is not in range.
Yup, I've made a mention of this in my review.
Old 7th June 2010, 11:02   #80
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
So, I spent some time driving the 330i last weekend. Now, the F10 5 series is the epitome of the "new BMW", while the 3 series is representative of the older philosophy. As an enthusiast, I can tell you that I am extremely happy with the direction that the company has now taken:

- Where the F10 5 series is a breeze to drive in the city, the 330i had a steering that's heavy as my Jeep! The 5 is relaxed when it needs to be, the 330 is always "busy".

- The 5 series took city bumps & potholes rather well and kept its occupants comfy. The 330i, on the other hand, sends a harsh jolt to the insides, and keeps passengers aware of every pimple on the tarmac below.
Very well put, most of the 330i's characteristics are similar to the E60.
I agree the new 5 is a better car to live with as it's more practical in our environment with better suspension, lighter steering etc.

However, I beg to differ that the points raised above are from an 'enthusiast' POV, more like a 'practical enthusiasts' POV.
Since when did a hardcore enthusiasts put in-traffic heaviness over high speed heaviness of steering? Or put road bumps over steering feedback/handling?

P.S: No offense, I mean no harm here
Old 7th June 2010, 17:04   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
BMW equips the 525d with 6 airbags, a plethora of electronic safety aids (traction control, ABS, brake assist and stability control), 8 speed automatic transmission, regenerative braking system, electronic parking brake, auto-hold brakes, iDrive with a 7" screen, fully electric front seat adjustments, driver's seat memory (for 2), dual zone climate control, 6 DVD entertainment system with voice control / bluetooth / USB / AUX, sunroof, bi-xenon headlamps + washers, automatic headlamps + wipers, sun blinds for rear windows + windscreen, park distance control (front + rear), tyre pressure monitoring system and runflat tyres. Priced at Rs. 39.90 lakhs ex-showroom.
... & it tops the Euro NCAP safety Ratings. Please refer the following link:

BMW 5 Series Tops crash test | Autocar India

BMW has made a tank of their executive car, boring over the E60, but definitely more safe, comfortable & dependable.
Old 7th June 2010, 17:35   #82
BHPian

Lads,

When is the next gen 3 Series due in India? I hope Bimmer doesn't wipe away its basic DNA of sporty handling at the altar of broadening its appeal. A trade off is oh so difficult to achieve, with Merc and Audi breathing down its neck. All three marques ( viz. the 3, the C and the 4) could become very very similar to each other, which is not exactly a good thing!
Regards
Old 8th June 2010, 11:17   #83
Senior - BHPian

beautiful review GTO & Sahil. Amazing car as well ! loved it ! It was the very car we had been waiting for until we came across the Limited edition a4 3.0 tdi and opted for it ! Well, with a new stonker in the market, comparisons are inevitable and i couldnt resist wondering how ( on sheer power and acceleration) would my A4 3.0 TDI fare against the F10 530D ? The 530D has 40NM more torque and i suppose similar power to the Audi at 240 odd BHP but i assume its a lot heavier than the A4 as well. Any idea GTO ? Sahil ??......anyone?? If atall there is any difference it has to be miniscule am i right ?

Last edited by PlatzdaTurbo : 8th June 2010 at 11:21.
Old 8th June 2010, 11:21   #84
Senior - BHPian

Sorry but the 530D F10 will lead in pretty much every aspect. The A4 while a brilliant car just cannot match the dynamics of the BMW which is larger in size and still can be as agile as a smaller 4 door sedan.

No offence here at all you have a beautiful car but the F10 takes things a step ahead.
Old 8th June 2010, 11:24   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S350L-E240 View Post
Sorry but the 530D F10 will lead in pretty much every aspect. The A4 while a brilliant car just cannot match the dynamics of the BMW which is larger in size and still can be as agile as a smaller 4 door sedan.

No offence here at all you have a beautiful car but the F10 takes things a step ahead.

Offense ? not atall man ! True i own an Audi but i am a BMW lover and especially love the 5series . i just could not resist as power ratings are similar....hehe
Old 8th June 2010, 11:59   #86
BHPian

Excellent review, GTO&Sahil. Very very detailed. Anyone buying it after reading this is taking a "well informed" decision.

IMHO, the power steering would actually spoil the fun at high speeds and would probably not give you as much comfort as the hydraulic one. After driving my 320d for almost 40 days, I actually couldnt control the Accent and it felt different. After years of driving the Accent, I realised what I was missing out on in terms of handling and overtaking

I just spoke to the Navnit owner and he mentioned that both the New5 series and X1 bookings are on (approx. INR 5L and INR 3 L resepctively). The X1 would be a game changer for sure in crossover category and they have received a large number of bookings on both. Any views on the X1?
Old 9th June 2010, 10:46   #87
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Very well put, most of the 330i's characteristics are similar to the E60.
I agree the new 5 is a better car to live with as it's more practical in our environment with better suspension, lighter steering etc.
The one thing that the new 5s steering lacks at speed is feedback. Its not very heavy, sure, but its firm enough.

But feedback is whats missing. Neither is the new 5s steering perfect (its better in the city), nor is the E60s (better on the highway, too heavy in the city). Ideally, a speed-sensitive hydraulic PS would be best. Something that firms up well enough at speed, yet is light within the city (say, like the W211 Benz).

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
... & it tops the Euro NCAP safety Ratings. Please refer the following link:
Good news. The E60's NCAP rating was a sore point for BMW; it only scored 4 stars out of 5. The new 5 is back in the ring (against the Merc E Class) with its 5 star rating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by issigonis View Post
Lads,

When is the next gen 3 Series due in India?
I'd say, 2011.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlatzdaTurbo View Post
Well, with a new stonker in the market, comparisons are inevitable and i couldnt resist wondering how ( on sheer power and acceleration) would my A4 3.0 TDI fare against the F10 530D ?
530d
245 BHP
540 NM torque
1720 kgs
142 BHP / Ton (power to weight)
0 - 100 6.3 seconds

A4 3.0 TDi
239 BHP
500 NM torque
1690 kgs
141 BHP / Ton (power to weight)
0 - 100 6.2 seconds

As you can see, its close. The A4 3.0 has a crucial weapon in its arsenal = AWD. Better launch (marginally quicker 0 - 100) and sticky paws (especially in the wet and / or dusty roads). I'd say the 3.0 has the overall edge. The A4 3.2 FSI that I drove had substantially lesser (than 525d) body roll too.
Old 9th June 2010, 11:14   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

530d
245 BHP
540 NM torque
1720 kgs
142 BHP / Ton (power to weight)
0 - 100 6.3 seconds

A4 3.0 TDi
239 BHP
500 NM torque
1690 kgs
141 BHP / Ton (power to weight)
0 - 100 6.2 seconds

As you can see, its close. The A4 3.0 has a crucial weapon in its arsenal = AWD. Better launch (marginally quicker 0 - 100) and sticky paws (especially in the wet and / or dusty roads). I'd say the 3.0 has the overall edge. The A4 3.2 FSI that I drove had substantially lesser (than 525d) body roll too.

yup.thanks for the stats. n yup it really would be minuscule in real life situations i suppose. Yup the Quattro truly rocks but then many believe the Beemer is more agile overall. Would be a treat to see these 2 in action !
Old 9th June 2010, 12:04   #89
BHPian

Well hi everyone, This is my first post on team-bhp, I did test drive the new 525d, & i compared it to the older gen 525d that my friend has, Why is it that i find the new 5 somewhat weaker when irt comes to driver involvement?
Old 9th June 2010, 12:12   #90
Senior - BHPian

Hats off to BMW considering the car is much bigger then the A4 and still weighs only 30 Kgs more, while the A4 has the AWD, BMW truly offers one of the finest driving experiences in a much larger car which is equally sporty and more suited for longer journeys etc. with families.

Also the 3 makes it's international debut sometime in the fall of 2011, so we can expect it in India by Q12012.

Most Viewed