Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th August 2023, 16:24   #826
BHPian

Re: Maruti Suzuki A-Star Auto - Road Test

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaviGowda View Post
Hello All, I have almost finalised pre owned Astar Automatic 2010 model which has 34k on the ODO. This car has undergone all regular services in authorised service station. This is Vxi ABS model but doesn’t comes with remote for central locking.

Need all your expert advice on things I need to get checked/replaced considering it is 12+ year old.
All other relevant advices/ information are welcomed.

Thank you all in advance.
I dont have answers to most of your queries but I bought a used A star automatic recently, so I'm just putting a few points I can think of which might be of help.

1. Usage (34K) seems to be very less for a 12 year old car. If possible, please cross check that the mileage is genuine and no meter tampering has been done.

2. I changed all the fluids (engine oil, brake fluid, coolant etc), AC belt, alternator belt and all spark plugs as a proactive measure since the last 2 services for my car were done at an FNG. If you are able to check from the service history that these have been replaced recently, it's fine.

3. Regarding the oil, I would recommend synthetic. The mineral vs synthetic price difference is not much nowadays. Grade is 5W-30 IIRC - just check the manual. I'm using Motul EcoTec synthetic 5w30. Cost me Rs 1500 for 3 liters.

4. I changed all 3 engine mounts since my mounts were shot and there was a lot of vibrations on my car. If yours doesn't have any issue, no need to change the mounts.
Quote:
5. There is a shaky noise from silencer when revving the car. Probably due to worn out mounts.
My car has a similar sound - like a rattling noise appearing to come from the silencer area when the engine is loaded at low revs. Not sure if your issue is similar. Changing engine mounts didnt remove this. Didnt do much further investigation since it was not bothering me so much. Maybe replacing silencer mounts could help - need to check.
Quote:
7. Music system is turning on and can tune FM stations too but however no sound is coming. Guessing it could be due to wiring issue that is connected to speakers or may be speakers itself are gone. Need your advice.
If absolutely no sound is coming (not even a hissing sound when an FM station is not tuned), then probably the wiring is shot. You could try the aux connection or CD player but probably the result will be the same.
Quote:
10. Headlights are fogged.
One thing to keep in mind is that it may take some time to source parts for the A-star. Consumables are fine, but for a seat belt and a door lock I had to wait around 3 weeks. I guess same would apply for headlights and other parts. Not a major issue, but still something to keep in mind.
ar@v1nd is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th August 2023, 14:30   #827
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar@v1nd View Post
I dont have answers to most of your queries but I bought a used A star automatic recently, so I'm just putting a few points I can think of which might be of help.

1. Usage (34K) seems to be very less for a 12 year old car. If possible, please cross check that the mileage is genuine and no meter tampering has been done.

2. I changed all the fluids (engine oil, brake fluid, coolant etc), AC belt, alternator belt and all spark plugs as a proactive measure since the last 2 services for my car were done at an FNG. If you are able to check from the service history that these have been replaced recently, it's fine.

3. Regarding the oil, I would recommend synthetic. The mineral vs synthetic price difference is not much nowadays. Grade is 5W-30 IIRC - just check the manual. I'm using Motul EcoTec synthetic 5w30. Cost me Rs 1500 for 3 liters.

4. I changed all 3 engine mounts since my mounts were shot and there was a lot of vibrations on my car. If yours doesn't have any issue, no need to change the mounts.

My car has a similar sound - like a rattling noise appearing to come from the silencer area when the engine is loaded at low revs. Not sure if your issue is similar. Changing engine mounts didnt remove this. Didnt do much further investigation since it was not bothering me so much. Maybe replacing silencer mounts could help - need to check.

If absolutely no sound is coming (not even a hissing sound when an FM station is not tuned), then probably the wiring is shot. You could try the aux connection or CD player but probably the result will be the same.

One thing to keep in mind is that it may take some time to source parts for the A-star. Consumables are fine, but for a seat belt and a door lock I had to wait around 3 weeks. I guess same would apply for headlights and other parts. Not a major issue, but still something to keep in mind.

Thank you Arvind for your valuable inputs. Yes, car has genuinely completed 34k. It is currently owned by renowned doctor. You are right about the silencer sound, it is exactly like you described. Seems it’s common across the model. There are no vibrations observed from the engine bay so guessing mountings are fine. I’ll have the suspension and music system checked once. Thank you again for your valuable feedback.
RaviGowda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2023, 01:20   #828
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you Arvind for your valuable inputs. Yes, car has genuinely completed 34k. It is currently owned by renowned doctor. You are right about the silencer sound, it is exactly like you described. Seems it’s common across the model. There are no vibrations observed from the engine bay so guessing mountings are fine. I’ll have the suspension and music system checked once. Thank you again for your valuable feedback.
My A-Star VXI AT has done 35K in the 10 years since I bought it, primarily because the small car becomes the second car in the family. So no reason to be circumspect about the mileage unless you suspect that the odometer has been tampered because the condition of the car doesn’t match the mileage.

Someone here had reported vibrations due to the front callipers- you may like to check that and get them replaced if the condition is not prime- it just costs 265 per wheel, so 530 for both the front wheels. As far as the parts go, if you see that the Maruti workshop will take time to get the parts , you could also check the price and availability on Boodmo- they offer a good deal.
outdoorlover is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2023, 07:42   #829
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, car has genuinely completed 34k. .
Not out of the normal. The A-Star we had got had done 11.8k in 3.5 years - used by the wife for her school commute. Rest of the time it was their other car which was used for other travel. Even after we got the car, my wife didnt use it much for another 4 years. And now, after 12 years, the car is yet to cross 55k. A friend's Fabia has not crossed 30k in 12 odd years.

Check the condition and proceed. It's a nice little car for 1-2 people + young children
condor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th August 2023, 09:27   #830
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoorlover View Post
My A-Star VXI AT has done 35K in the 10 years since I bought it, primarily because the small car becomes the second car in the family. So no reason to be circumspect about the mileage unless you suspect that the odometer has been tampered because the condition of the car doesn’t match the mileage.

Someone here had reported vibrations due to the front callipers- you may like to check that and get them replaced if the condition is not prime- it just costs 265 per wheel, so 530 for both the front wheels. As far as the parts go, if you see that the Maruti workshop will take time to get the parts , you could also check the price and availability on Boodmo- they offer a good deal.
Thank you, I’ll have this checked once.
Old 12th August 2023, 09:31   #831
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Not out of the normal. The A-Star we had got had done 11.8k in 3.5 years - used by the wife for her school commute. Rest of the time it was their other car which was used for other travel. Even after we got the car, my wife didnt use it much for another 4 years. And now, after 12 years, the car is yet to cross 55k. A friend's Fabia has not crossed 30k in 12 odd years.

Check the condition and proceed. It's a nice little car for 1-2 people + young children
Thank you, upon checking twice, we confirmed that condition is great. Basically our usage also be very less. Only thing that is worrying is the fitness renewal that is up for renewal in 2 years considering the news around scrapping policy. Any insights on that ? Will they allow to renew the 15year old petrol car for another 5years ?
Old 12th August 2023, 10:28   #832
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Will they allow to renew the 15year old petrol car for another 5years ?
Yes, should not be a problem. You could also register it at Mysore and still use it in BLR.
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2023, 05:58   #833
BHPian

Quote:
What all oils to be replaced ? Should I change to synthetic oil ?.
Please do a single round of drain and fill of ATF. You would need 3 liters of Suzuki ATF 3317 or Mobil ATF 3309.

Check the color of existing ATF by wiping the red dipstick on tissue paper. In case it is looking brown, the car was driven spiritedly.
Sumedik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2023, 11:43   #834
BHPian

Got our Astar AT delivered 2 days ago. There is a strange noise coming from the rear while shifting gears, sounds like the when silencer pipe had puncture but strangely this is not heard when accelerating at idle. This is heard only when gear shifting. Since it is front wheel drive thinking this couldn’t be transmission issue as sound is clearly from the rear side of the car. Silencer mounting seems fine as there is no movements. Engine also fairly silent at idle and no sorts of vibrations found.
Old 25th August 2023, 00:47   #835
BHPian

Quote:
Got our Astar AT delivered 2 days ago. There is a strange noise coming from the rear while shifting gears, sounds like the when silencer pipe had puncture but strangely this is not heard when accelerating at idle. This is heard only when gear shifting. Since it is front wheel drive thinking this couldn’t be transmission issue as sound is clearly from the rear side of the car. Silencer mounting seems fine as there is no movements. Engine also fairly silent at idle and no sorts of vibrations found.
Sounds exactly like the issue I am having with my A Star. You mentioned the sound is only during gear shifting. Just check if this happens only during upshifting and not during downshifting. In my case also I initially thought this had something to do with the transmission since it seemed to come only during gear change. But later I realized that the sound came only while upshifting and specifically only when the engine is trying to pull at low revs (like when you are lugging the engine). And yes, this sound seems to come from the rear (right side I think) of the car.

I checked with the ASC - they say that this is common with Ritz and A Star automatic and there is nothing to worry about. I stopped worrying about it, and if it is of any comfort, my car has been having this sound for the past 1.5 years without any other obvious negative impact. Please keep me also updated if you are able to get this sound sorted.

Good luck with your purchase. The A Star automatic is a nice little city runabout.
ar@v1nd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2023, 10:18   #836
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar@v1nd View Post
Sounds exactly like the issue I am having with my A Star. You mentioned the sound is only during gear shifting. Just check if this happens only during upshifting and not during downshifting. In my case also I initially thought this had something to do with the transmission since it seemed to come only during gear change. But later I realized that the sound came only while upshifting and specifically only when the engine is trying to pull at low revs (like when you are lugging the engine). And yes, this sound seems to come from the rear (right side I think) of the car.

I checked with the ASC - they say that this is common with Ritz and A Star automatic and there is nothing to worry about. I stopped worrying about it, and if it is of any comfort, my car has been having this sound for the past 1.5 years without any other obvious negative impact. Please keep me also updated if you are able to get this sound sorted.

Good luck with your purchase. The A Star automatic is a nice little city runabout.
Thank you. Yes, it’s mostly while upshifting and pulling. I visited ASC yesterday, they put the car onto the ramp and checked by engaging the drive mode, It sounded refined and no issues at all but heard again once back on the road. ASC checked for wheel bearing, silencer mounting and any other possibilities with the body panels but couldn’t narrow it down. At last he suggested this could be due to exhaust damage internally ( which I don’t think as it sounds very normal during idle) and would check by replacing it with test unit. I’ll visit them on Wednesday and keep the thread updated.

Last edited by RaviGowda : 27th August 2023 at 10:19.
Old 8th September 2023, 20:01   #837
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Not out of the normal. The A-Star we had got had done 11.8k in 3.5 years - used by the wife for her school commute.
Precisely the case with my wife's A-Star as well. 2013 model completed 33K recently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoorlover View Post
My A-Star VXI AT has done 35K in the 10 years since I bought it, primarily because the small car becomes the second car in the family.
Can't agree with you more on this.

Now, coming to the issues I am facing with my car:

1. The tires (Michelin) are on their last legs and I plan to replace them soon. Question is which brand (given that Michelin is not available in that size anymore, correct me if am wrong) and should I switch to 175/70 R13 akin to my Esteem ? What are the pros and cons of this ? I am leaning towards Yokohama or Bridgestone. Had a bad experience with Continental on my Esteem so thats a clear no. Any other options that can come close to Michelin would be good.

2. This is about the shudder and noise I experience when at standstill with the gear engaged and the brakes are applied. When I shift to N the car is silent. Also, in motion there is no noise or shudder. I suspect the engine mount(s) to be culprit not sure though. Any other pointers ?

Thanks for your inputs.
Old 8th September 2023, 20:10   #838
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr_zen View Post
should I switch to 175/70 R13 akin to my Esteem ? What are the pros and cons of this ?.
Cons: a very small drop in FE

Else, all to gain. Ride comfort, stability and is more planted. No issues with the steering either. Our A-Star is otherwise almost stock. I had moved from 155 section tyres to 175 as soon as we got it, and it was the right decision.
Old 9th September 2023, 16:26   #839
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Cons: a very small drop in FE

Else, all to gain. Ride comfort, stability and is more planted. No issues with the steering either. Our A-Star is otherwise almost stock. I had moved from 155 section tyres to 175 as soon as we got it, and it was the right decision.
As such the car doesn't return great FE .Also doesn't this move decrease the ride height/GC marginally ? Also, which brand did you go for ? Any speedo error because of this change ? Thanks.
Old 9th September 2023, 16:54   #840
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr_zen View Post
As such the car doesn't return great FE .Also doesn't this move decrease the ride height/GC marginally ? Also, which brand did you go for ? Any speedo error because of this change ? Thanks.
Minor changes and we have not tracked any of these parameters. Wife drives the A-Star, so she does a fill-it-drive-it. Approx FE with her driving is 9.5 kmpl in Bangalore city. What ever the small changes, the 175 width tyres are perfect for this car. Btw, I have Celerio 14" rims on the car and shod with Yoko Earth-1 which have now done about 40k, and still good for another 15k

Last edited by condor : 9th September 2023 at 16:56.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks