Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th March 2021, 15:00   #736
BHPian

Re: Maruti Suzuki A-Star Auto - Road Test

Got the drive side boot for driveshaft replaced at Phogat Axle Engineering on Hosur Rd, near Bosch. Details here:
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...ml#post5016040 (Driveshaft / Axle Maintenance)
Old 25th March 2021, 18:26   #737
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Has anyone noticed the increase in tyre prices?

Quote:
Originally Posted by avi550m View Post
I was looking to replace my old XM2's on my A-Star ... 155/80 R13 size tyres.
hi Avi550m,

in case you have not yet replaced the tyres, pls upsize to 175. It makes a lot of difference to the ride. We have done 25k+ with the 175's and cant think of going back to 155.
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2021, 18:39   #738
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post

in case you have not yet replaced the tyres, pls upsize to 175. It makes a lot of difference to the ride. We have done 25k+ with the 175's and cant think of going back to 155.
Does it make any difference in mileage, steering feel, acceleration etc. 175 section tyres are currently costing around 400-500 more per tyre.
Old 25th March 2021, 19:13   #739
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avi550m View Post
Does it make any difference in mileage, steering feel, acceleration etc. 175 section tyres are currently costing around 400-500 more per tyre.
May be a 0.5 km drop. For city use, I have not noticed any significant difference in the acceleration etc.

But the handling has improved so much. Simple example was on the elevated stretch on Tumkur Road- the car used to be affected by cross-winds. But with the 175's, much more planted. And car does not bounce like with the 155's.
Old 25th March 2021, 19:20   #740
BHPian

Quote:

And car does not bounce like with the 155's.
Does the improvement in ride quality translate to low speed ride as well, e.g. handling potholes and speed breakers.
Old 25th March 2021, 21:19   #741
BHPian

Have you checked tyremarket.com? I picked tyres for my A-Star from there. Lovely experience and great prices.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-...ml#post4916929 (Tyremarket.com Reviews? Buying tyres online)
Old 31st March 2021, 09:38   #742
Distinguished - BHPian

Does the A Star have a heat shield in the exhaust assembly? Mine is in its 10th year and a new noise has begun taking shape; when in "D" and with the brake pressed down, it emits a rattling noise. If I switch on the AC, the noise increases in intensity. And when on the move, this noise disappears.

This is the exact symptom that you face when the heat shield is rotten due to age or premature corrosion. My 2011 Nissan Rogue (CVT) in the US had it and I had to get it replaced back then.
Old 2nd April 2021, 16:32   #743
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
Does the A Star have a heat shield in the exhaust assembly? Mine is in its 10th year and a new noise has begun taking shape; when in "D" and with the brake pressed down, it emits a rattling noise. If I switch on the AC, the noise increases in intensity. And when on the move, this noise disappears.
Turns out that either the thermostat valve or the fan's mechanism is the suspect. I requested my FNG to attach their OBD reader and it seems that the radiator works just fine; the coolant is allowed in whenever the temperature attains 95 C as it should. But the rattling noise only really picks up whenever the fan is activated. Everything else seems fine. More to come on this. I'll get it sorted out and post an update here.
locusjag is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th April 2021, 21:59   #744
BHPian

Finally on a thread that has some active discussions on A-star.

I secured my preworshipped 2013 A-star Automatic for my wife back in 2019 and it was lying idle for over 6-7 months during the lockdown as I had to move to my hometown.

While I was back, I had to do some battery salvaging and now that I do not drive to office and my wife isn't working either I use my A-star for regular commute be it in the city or short drives. These short drives which are in less than 3 kms a side is much suited for A-star and is giving my Ecosport the required rest from such short drives.

On regular use, I feel that the car can have a good bunch of upgrades - not major but good ones to make the drive more pleasant. A few bits that I have done so far is

1. Removed all the badges from the rear and retained only the logo.
2. Removed a reverse alarm and just retained the blinkers.

However a few areas that I plan to work on / improve or / upgrade are being listed below. Even though this is going to be a slow process, I plan to accomplish them one by one over a few months.

1. Adding antiglare to my IRVM. Manual will also do.

2. My steering wheel lacks grip and I feel the PS isn't that responsive. Any way to improvise?

3. My radio antenna's are gone, and the audio system still gives some decent audio. Any interesting alternatives to the Radio antenna (Shark finn).

4. Any recommendation on good Fabric seat cover alternatives. The Kochi heat is burning the aftermarket Rexin (Synthetic) seat covers on the car

5. The previous owner has done some major synthetic mat covering for the floor across the interior and it is making the floor grip-less for the matts and shoes. Can I get rid of it to stock?

6. The wheel arch underside is bare and it does not come with covers, I can hear stone hitting the underside of the car - can I find OEM mud guards for the wheel arches?

7. The bonnet closing is also a fuzz, as I see evident gaps across. I saw in some cars where the bonnet is tightly shut. But I see some rubber beading on my car which I feel should be all across, what was the stock set up.

8. And requesting fellow owners to suggest any other additions that can make this better or nice.

-------------

And for a few technical challenges that I face, and want to understand before I take the care to my FNG who does some decent job with the car.

1. The car creates enough jerks especially on ascending slope and this is audible at times especially when pulling from 0. This is not a regular affair, but I am a bit concerned.

2. Should I be worried with the rusts across the car, given that the car is pre-worshiped and I have 60K on the ODO now. Should I remove the floor mat and see?

3. The car pulls perfectly well and with the AC the car behaves like the old Indica DLS which I had. Should I be worried with anything here as I am not used to Suzuki's and this K series engine.

Looking forward to your inputs.
Old 19th April 2021, 22:13   #745
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterjim13 View Post
1. Removed all the badges from the rear and retained only the logo.
Ditto here - Maruti slapped way too many badges on A-star automatic. I have just retained the Suzuki logo

Maruti Suzuki A-Star Auto - Road Test-img20160905wa0024.jpg

Quote:
1. Adding antiglare to my IRVM. Manual will also do.
I have mounted a reversing camera on the internal rear view mirror. This is not 100% reflective glass, so it cuts out the glare.

Maruti Suzuki A-Star Auto - Road Test-dsc02102.jpg

Quote:
8. And requesting fellow owners to suggest any other additions that can make this better or nice.
Upgrade the music system, especially the head-unit so that you can play music from an USB stick. Speakers definitely need an upgrade. There are 6 speaker enclosures (one on each door for 6 inch speakers and 2 on the dashboard for 5 inch speakers)
Old 19th April 2021, 22:22   #746
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
2. My steering wheel lacks grip and I feel the PS isn't that responsive. Any way to improvise?

4. Any recommendation on good Fabric seat cover alternatives. The Kochi heat is burning the aftermarket Rexin (Synthetic) seat covers on the car

5. The previous owner has done some major synthetic mat covering for the floor across the interior and it is making the floor grip-less for the matts and shoes. Can I get rid of it to stock?

6. The wheel arch underside is bare and it does not come with covers, I can hear stone hitting the underside of the car - can I find OEM mud guards for the wheel arches?

-------------

1. The car creates enough jerks especially on ascending slope and this is audible at times especially when pulling from 0. This is not a regular affair, but I am a bit concerned.

2. Should I be worried with the rusts across the car, given that the car is pre-worshiped and I have 60K on the ODO now. Should I remove the floor mat and see?
Congratulations ! My suggestions, with the corresponding #'s:

2. Change PS fluid. If you are referring to the steering wheel itself, then a leather wrap.

4. Elegant seat covers if they have. Else get it done locally.

5. Please. Such covers will hold any moisture inside itself and this can lead to rusting of the floor board.

6. You could get the FNG to cross-fit any liner from another Maruti - may be a Ritz. or so. Would not be expensive, and would not touch the core part.

8. 175 mm wide tyres. Will make a lot of difference.

Part II
1. it is quite early, but you could look at getting the AT fluid changed.

2. Should be fine without rusting. This was an export model. But do get that mat removed.

Last edited by condor : 19th April 2021 at 22:24.
Old 19th April 2021, 22:45   #747
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartCat View Post
Ditto here - Maruti slapped way too many badges on A-star automatic. I have just retained the Suzuki logo
True I really love the way car looks without those chrome badges.

Quote:
I have mounted a reversing camera on the internal rear view mirror. This is not 100% reflective glass, so it cuts out the glare.
Could you guide me to this product. I hope this is not a mirror which goes on top of the existing mirror, I have seen them making rattling noise after prolonged usage.

Quote:
Upgrade the music system, especially the head-unit so that you can play music from an USB stick. Speakers definitely need an upgrade. There are 6 speaker enclosures (one on each door for 6 inch speakers and 2 on the dashboard for 5 inch speakers)
Interesting, yes will look for options in the local market around. And my radio seems to be working fine including that of the volume button - I could see some decent audio clarity at times, couldn't test well as the radio turns feeble at times due to the broken antenna.

Anyhow, thanks so much for the quick response and helpful tips. Will keep this thread updated with the progress.

Quote:
2. Change PS fluid. If you are referring to the steering wheel itself, then a leather wrap.
Its a mix of both, yes PS fluid will be added to the check-list. Again I cant really identify the challenge as I haven't driven another A-star. Quite used to very responsive and light steering wheels of my EcoSport.

But I do feel some heaviness beyond the steering wheel as well.

Quote:
4. Elegant seat covers if they have. Else get it done locally.
Will check this out.

At the same time, I presume my stock seat covers would be lying untouched. What are your recommendations on that - will a shampoo wash get me some stock / neat looking seats.

Quote:
5. Please. Such covers will hold any moisture inside itself and this can lead to rusting of the floor board.
Suspected the same, taking them off as well.

Quote:
6. You could get the FNG to cross-fit any liner from another Maruti - may be a Ritz. or so. Would not be expensive, and would not touch the core part.
Noted

Quote:
8. 175 mm wide tyres. Will make a lot of difference.
Interesting. Adding that as well - will start scouting for tyres of this size.
I read someone updating their A-stars with Yoko Earth-1s will I be able to source them in 175s?

Quote:
Part II
1. it is quite early, but you could look at getting the AT fluid changed.

2. Should be fine without rusting. This was an export model. But do get that mat removed.
Thanks again Condor, will keep you posted on the progress.
peterjim13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2021, 23:04   #748
Distinguished - BHPian

@PeterJim, do check my posts in this thread.

The steering is quite smooth, no heaviness. The car is used by my wife, and she has no complaints either. Do a visual check of the fluids once.

The tyres are one change I will recommend to any one with an A-star. Our A-Star has Yoko Earth-1's but just check for availability of a good brand.

Reg the seat covers, you could just remove the existing art-leathers and use it as it is. The covers underneath should be fresh.

To replace the HU, you would need an adapter face-plate which will match that slot while holding the HU. I had got one back when I used to order from Aliexpress. Without this, the replacement HU will have gaps all around.
Old 20th April 2021, 11:20   #749
BHPian

Quote:

Its a mix of both, yes PS fluid will be added to the check-list. Again I cant really identify the challenge as I haven't driven another A-star. Quite used to very responsive and light steering wheels of my EcoSport.

But I do feel some heaviness beyond the steering wheel as well.
I don't think the Astar has a hydraulic power steering. It is electrically assisted power steering. You should get the CV joints and other associated parts checked. Tyre pressure will affect steering effort, but not sure in this case.
mvadg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2021, 19:01   #750
BHPian

Quote:
The tyres are one change I will recommend to any one with an A-star. Our A-Star has Yoko Earth-1's but just check for availability of a good brand.
I did some search around this and I can already see a few 14 inch rims on OLX all in within 2K.

Quote:
Reg the seat covers, you could just remove the existing art-leathers and use it as it is. The covers underneath should be fresh.
Infact they are and I really like the color. Looks like a shampoo wash should give it some real good color and much better than the black faux-leathers.

Here it is, the driver seat cover is already damaged.

Maruti Suzuki A-Star Auto - Road Test-img_1221.jpg

Quote:
[/ATTACH]
Yes, without the chrome decorations.

Maruti Suzuki A-Star Auto - Road Test-img_1226.jpg

Quote:
Attachment 2146313
Do share the link from where you sourced your reverse cam

This is the guy in question.
Maruti Suzuki A-Star Auto - Road Test-img_1224.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvadg View Post
I don't think the Astar has a hydraulic power steering. It is electrically assisted power steering. You should get the CV joints and other associated parts checked. Tyre pressure will affect steering effort, but not sure in this case.
Noted. For me my plans to visit my FNG over the weekend has been slightly delayed due to the weekend Lockdown here in Cochin. Looks like I will have to wait.

My priority FNG attention would include my
- Power Steering
- Juddering on initial acceleration especially while ascending inclines.
- Not normal noise from my RHS front wheels (Calipers?)

The huge gap on my bonnet, I assume this is after the minor repair I had on my front bumper before lockdown.

Maruti Suzuki A-Star Auto - Road Test-img_1219.jpg

There are a few upgrades as suggested by Candor & Smartcat including

1. Upgrade to 14inch wheels
2. Removing the synthetic floor covering
3. Removing the faux leather seat covers
4. Interior shampoo cleaning
5. An entire spare tyre replacement set.

Nobody here
Maruti Suzuki A-Star Auto - Road Test-img_1223.jpg

6. Roof Antenna for my car radio

Couldn't just hold on to it
Maruti Suzuki A-Star Auto - Road Test-img_1218.jpg

7. Rear Parcel tray. Already found a few on OLX.
Why do people sell their parcel trays? And how much did Maruti save by not providing a parcel tray on this A-star

Maruti Suzuki A-Star Auto - Road Test-img_1222.jpg

Just 2 more bonus images

I really like the paint-job on this car unlike the other Maruti's I've seen. I remember my cousins Swift which had faded paints across the car within 5 years of ownership.

Maruti Suzuki A-Star Auto - Road Test-img_1217.jpg

The only other Maruti in the family is this 3 year old TourV / Eeco which is used for school duties. And soon to be sold

The Eeco at its regular resting place after weekly short drives.
Maruti Suzuki A-Star Auto - Road Test-img_1216.jpg

Last edited by peterjim13 : 26th April 2021 at 19:03.
peterjim13 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks