Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th July 2017, 10:02   #646
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Maruti Suzuki A-Star Auto - Road Test

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
Honda has real time fuel efficiency indicator in their automatics, and it shows that when you take the foot off the accelerator, the engine is hardly burning any fuel.
Are you referring to the progress bar type indicator calibrated 0-20-40 KMPL that I have seen in the Honda City our family once had or something else? When you are standstill and in neutral, it settles to zero because you are really not traveling a distance but burning the fuel.

If yes, most of the other brands also have this real time fuel consumption/efficiency indicator albeit they would display numbers rather than bars.

When you take your foot off on a typical highway, it displays 30.0 KMPL constantly (The upper limit in my car which is a Maruti).
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2017, 10:06   #647
BHPian

smartcat, condor

One can easily achieve 19-20 kmpl on smooth highway roads like the NH 44. My recent ooty trip gave me 16.8 kmpl t2t, this was after the 40k service. Regular drives to kerala via NH44 has always given me 17 kmpl, a dip due to ghat sections & town traffic I encounter on the way to Chengannur.

I see the city FE dip a lot after a hard spirited driving (500-600 kms) on the highway, may be the ECU adapts to the throttle & feeds more fuel.

Has anyone replaced the ORVM of astar? Is it possible to fit an another models ORVM?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPTAIN REX View Post
Throttle body cleaning cost Rs 1600/.
Good to know that your car is back to shape. Is that a typo? I remember paying only 600/- for throttle body cleaning.

Rgds,
Vinod

Maruti Suzuki A-Star Auto - Road Test-maruti-astar-40k-servicepage001.jpg

Maruti Suzuki A-Star Auto - Road Test-maruti-astar-40k-servicepage002.jpg

Last edited by GTO : 9th November 2017 at 17:48. Reason: Removing personal details from the service invoice :)
Mr_Bean is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th July 2017, 13:44   #648
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Are you referring to the progress bar type indicator calibrated 0-20-40 KMPL that I have seen in the Honda City our family once had? When you are standstill and in neutral, it settles to zero because you are really not traveling a distance but burning the fuel.
Right. That's the one I'm talking about.

Quote:
When you take your foot off on a typical highway, it displays 30.0 KMPL constantly (The upper limit in my car which is a Maruti).
Which implies that engine is hardly using any fuel when coasting.
SmartCat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2017, 13:59   #649
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
Which implies that engine is hardly using any fuel when coasting.
Look at this post, I had checked long back on my Swift regarding the same point of fuel is consumed or not when no accelerator input is given. Checked out through the OBD-II reader and Torque App.

Link:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post3796865
a4anurag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th July 2017, 00:12   #650
Distinguished - BHPian

Does anyone else find the A-pillar blocking the view too much ? Or is it normal for cars ?
( I am comparing the view with my Storme)
Old 28th July 2017, 07:57   #651
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Does anyone else find the A-pillar blocking the view too much ? Or is it normal for cars ?

I think it is normal. Of course there are extremes on this as well- look at the SX4 for instance whose A pillar probably blocks out the max view.
Old 28th July 2017, 08:11   #652
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
For a car of its size, the A-star does have a really thick A pillar which blocks a fair bit of the view.
I think its the cladding used over the pillar, and not the pillar itself that is thick.
slicvic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2017, 08:13   #653
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicvic View Post
For a car of its size, the A-star does have a really thick A pillar which blocks a fair bit of the view.
I think its the cladding used over the pillar, and not the pillar itself that is thick.
Thanks, Doc.
But cladding is not the culprit there. It matches the pillar dimensions.

Btw, Thanks again
Old 28th July 2017, 11:45   #654
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor
I like the way the A-Star responds to accelerator inputs. It seems to hold it's speed well.
That's due to the lack of engine braking in the AT version. I drive both the AT & MT versions of the Astar & feel this only on the AT car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor
Does anyone else find the A-pillar blocking the view too much ? Or is it normal for cars ?(I am comparing the view with my Storme)
I have also felt the A-pillar in Astar to be blocking the view. Especially when taking right turns/curves. Feel the same with our Swift too. Never felt this to be an issue with my Baleno (sedan).
Old 28th July 2017, 11:50   #655
Distinguished - BHPian

Meanwhile, 5 years, 8 months to :
Maruti Suzuki A-Star Auto - Road Test-dsc_2333.jpg

It was at 11780 when we got it @ 3 & half years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
That's due to the lack of engine braking in the AT version. I drive both the AT & MT versions of the Astar & feel this only on the AT car.
I dont think MT's will have this behaviour.
Old 3rd September 2017, 19:30   #656
BHPian

The "Tramission malfunction light" came up during the drive to kerala on Sep 1st. The auto gear shifts & kickdown mode got jerky and the passengers could feel it.
I took it slow and drove at slow speeds 40-50 km/hr towards my home town Chengannur.

The warning light mysteriously disappeared after I reached home & parked the car for 3-4 hours, the jerky gearshift issue never came up. Drove extensively today for 30-40 kms, no pickup issues with AC on.

Took it to popular MASS kochalamoodu on 3rd sep. They did a scan & didn't find any problem with the AT box. The ATF liquid level and the wiring was normal. There was no leakage from the AT box.

Should I change ATF liquid? Maruti recommends a change after 1.75 lakh kms. I suspect the ATF fluid to have overheated on the ghat stretch, done this section (Theni-Kumily-Erumeli-Chengannur) many times in the past & never faced such a problem.

Car had completed 4 years on august 19th and the odo stands at 39000 kms. I am worried & not convinced if I should drive this car back to Bangalore.

Rgds,
Vinod
Mr_Bean is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2017, 21:38   #657
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Bean View Post
The "Tramission malfunction light" came up during the drive to kerala on Sep 1st. The auto gear shifts & kickdown mode got jerky and the passengers could feel it.

Hi, did you do any engine braking while driving in the ghat section down hills?
Old 6th September 2017, 11:42   #658
BHPian

Re: Maruti A-Star Automatic : Ownership Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoorlover View Post
Hi, did you do any engine braking while driving in the ghat section down hills?
I used the kickdown mode, moving between D-D3-D2 to keep the brakes cool.

Did I overwork the gearbox?

Rgds,
Vinod
Old 10th September 2017, 22:24   #659
BHPian

I took the car to AVG Motors, Thiruvala on 8th September, they did a test drive & ECU scan, found no problems with the car.

Feeling confident, I drove to Bangalore on 9th & the malfunction light never came up during the 740kms drive(avoiding the ghat section in kerala) . I avoided the kickdown mode during overtake situation fearing that the light would come up, stepped the accelerator hard to allow the AT box to come down gears.

I am still not convinced yet, Do you folks think this was a problem with the ECU, something in it leading to this problem? I cannot understand the jerking issue while this happened. My MASS technician in Suraksha confirmed that this AT box won't have issues in the worst case scenario & it could the surrounding circuitry that could have lead to this situation, checking & resolving the same would mean opening the gearbox, which is a risky affair.

All my highway drives, I've performed kickdown to D2 from D4 at 70-75kms speed & D4 to D3 to 100kms speed. I really hope it isn't the case leading to this issue.

While this issue happened, I was doing ghat driving & there was no way I was doing more than 40-50 kms/hr. I drove today in Bangalore for 2 hours and there was a bit of jerk with AC on while upshifting, but I feel this is how this gearbox behaves right from day 1, my paranoid mind is asking for answers. I was using GPS during the ghat drive & had them removed during my return trip.

I am going to drive it the way I do it normally & see if this happens, no means lets this issue go by. This car has served me well since 2013 August, I am into the 5th year.

Rgds,
Vinod

Last edited by Mr_Bean : 10th September 2017 at 22:26.
Old 10th September 2017, 22:49   #660
Distinguished - BHPian

I have done it when climbing Nandi hills, but have not faced any such issues.
On your drive , did you do it too often or too early ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks