Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th October 2015, 23:10   #601
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
I have replaced that one with a regular one. A small improvement, but not much. Need to do something about this.
I'll suggest you to get an upgrade to 100/90W setup with wiring harness. Should improve the lightning to a decent levels. In case that doesn't help them you'll have to look for Auxiliary lamps.

I've been using the 100/90W setup since long. I would have clocked 30K kms. No deformation/discoloration.
Old 17th October 2015, 11:37   #602
BHPian

Quote:
Was finally able to open the headlamp bulbs in my A-star. I had not been able to remove the rubber gasket like ring. WD-40 did the trick to get it un-stuck. The bulb on the left side says OSRAM, but made in PRC. I have replaced that one with a regular one. A small improvement, but not much. Need to do something about this.

I would recommend you upgrade to Osram Night Breaker Unlimited. This is a natural fit without any change of watts/ volts etc and provides significantly better illumination than the stock bulbs. I did that almost year ago and and quite happy with the results.
Old 2nd January 2016, 14:43   #603
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Maruti Suzuki A-Star Auto - Road Test

Quote:
2) MASS guys have applied grease to the holder ! This is a first for me. Any thoughts / comments ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoorlover View Post
I would recommend you upgrade to Osram Night Breaker Unlimited.
Like I had orignally suspected, the grease looks to be problem.

I had removed the bulbs a couple of times (to test the H4 HID bulbs I had got). The remove/re-seat of the bulb seems to have removed some of the grease, and the lights are actually better now. Fair for city use.
Old 15th February 2016, 22:26   #604
Distinguished - BHPian

Is it possible to get larger ORVM's for the A-Star ?
Old 15th February 2016, 23:50   #605
BANNED

Quote:
Is it possible to get larger ORVM's for the A-Star ?
AFAIK it should take on the ORVM from the Ritz/ older generation Swift.
Old 15th February 2016, 23:56   #606
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
No way. The mirror casing base is totally different. Maybe something like that from the Baleno that is fixed onto the door skin can be fixed. But that leave us with the question of what to do with the original mirror mount.
Old 16th February 2016, 00:19   #607
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Anurag - Ramon would be correct here. We need to look at the mirror mount itself/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramon View Post
. But that leave us with the question of what to do with the original mirror mount.
May be if I Could get a broken original mirror but with the mount intact, I could add a mirror from the old Sumo's or Mahindra's ?

Last edited by condor : 16th February 2016 at 00:23.
Old 27th February 2016, 08:07   #608
BHPian

Guys, if you're looking for mirrors with the right mount, you can look at Aliexpress.com. They've a lot of options in mounts for their auto-dimming mirrors.
Old 25th March 2016, 11:34   #609
Distinguished - BHPian

What is the observed FE on highways ? Cruising speed - 100 kmph ?
Old 28th April 2016, 19:26   #610
Distinguished - BHPian

Q2 -
FE of our A-Star has dropped a bit in the last couple of months. No changes made. Is it the summer ?
Currently at 10 kmpl or so
Old 29th April 2016, 07:38   #611
BHPian

Quote:
Q2 -
FE of our A-Star has dropped a bit in the last couple of months. No changes made. Is it the summer ?
Currently at 10 kmpl or so

There's a drop in FE when the ambient temperature goes above 35C with AC on. Do you use synthetic engine oil or mineral? I've been using synthetic which has made the engine remarkably smoother with a slightly better FE.
Old 29th April 2016, 08:08   #612
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoorlover View Post
Do you use synthetic engine oil or mineral? I've been using synthetic which has made the engine remarkably smoother with a slightly better FE.
My A/c usage is constant - always on, Summer or Winter. Hence the drop in FE is not due to usage of A/c.

Reg the oil it is Mineral. I dont think that the FE gains from using synth oil will cover the additional cost of the oil. And for my running, synth is not called for.
Old 1st May 2016, 11:38   #613
BHPian

Maruti Suzuki A-Star Auto - Road Test

Synthetic oil is recommended when drive distances are short, as well as stop-and-go traffic of the kind that we have in many metros now. It ensures a smoother ride of the pistons in the engine cylinders thereby making the power delivery and drive smoother. I have experienced that it had made quite some difference in my A star automatic and I am glad to pay extra money for a smoother and efficient drive. Again, if someone uses an A Star for long drives, intercity drives with very little stop and go, sticking to mineral oil might be okay.

In my latest gen Honda city automatic which is younger to my A Star automatic by 4 months, I didn't make a switch from the factory default engine oil as it is already a proprietary mix from Idemitsu and uses a combo of both kinds of oils and is very smooth on the Ivtec engine.

Last edited by outdoorlover : 1st May 2016 at 11:40.
Old 12th May 2016, 22:15   #614
BHPian

Mine completed 31K km and 4 years. Was beginning to get bored with it and while I entertained thoughts of replacing it with Baleno or Jazz, every time I try to get this into Koramangala or Indira Nagar, I get sold back on the smaller dimensions of this one in the city! So got it 3M cleaned, new mats etc and I am good for now - may be touch up couple of small scratches on the bumper. One service every year for last 2 years; regular oil change (even if it is not due) are the only service that this ever needed. No rattles so far. I get about 11-12kmpl with mainly short commute (5km one way); but when I do Koramangala-Varthur (16km) rides, generally get about 13-14kmpl.

Quite happy with this. Lack of backseat room is now a boon actually - with child lock on, children are quite safe there and very near by A/C cools down the car much faster than my Innova.

IMO, perfect city car and not a bad highway car either. I've done family trips in this to Pondicherry and Mysore. Though suitcases in the rear are out of question, it is quite stable on highways and can keep cruising at 100kmph, returning about 17.5kmpl.
Old 13th May 2016, 10:48   #615
BHPian

Quote:
What is the observed FE on highways ? Cruising speed - 100 kmph ?
As speeds of 90-100 km/hr, I got 18.5-19 kmpl during my last highway run between Bangalore and Chennai.

Recent trip to Chikmagalur, the overall mileage dropped to 15.5 kmpl. The ghat section seemed to have given abysmal figures, I was hard on the pedal with frequent kickdowns.

Quote:
My A/c usage is constant - always on, Summer or Winter. Hence the drop in FE is not due to usage of A/c.

Reg the oil it is Mineral. I dont think that the FE gains from using synth oil will cover the additional cost of the oil. And for my running, synth is not called for.
I think at high temperature, the AC would be continuously working and there is never a question of ac compressor cutoff (22 c temp). I have very limited knowledge on this.

Past 1 month, I have also observed a drop in fuel efficiency, it has come down by 1-1.5 km to 10.5 kmpl. I have moved to 29psi on all my tyres to avoid the bumpy ride, that could also be the factor.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks