Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th February 2013, 23:25   #2461
BHPian

re: Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Suedehead - please get the canopy buttons above the doors fitted properly or changed by the ASC. I can see that they are loose in your photograph. Also loosen the M6*1.0 bolts under the canopy lower edges, pull it down and retighten. This will help to reduce flapping and wind noise.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Thank you Sir. You are right. Weekend job. The canopy is really loose; even the lower edges are straining up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Hi Sudeehead,

Great looking machine there!. Can you please post some details on how you have installed the hi-lift jack on the bonnet latch? If possible, can you please post some detailed photographs?

Thanks!

Dhanush
Dear Dhanush,

Pictures attached. Clicked at 11 PM so apologies for all the flash but I do have a hectic travel schedule and I wanted to punch in my reply before I take off again. Just two pieces of metal on the hinge with 3*2 allen nuts. Hope it helps.

Best regards,

Suedehead
Attached Thumbnails
Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)-img_6277.jpg  

Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)-img_6279.jpg  

Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)-img_6292.jpg  

Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)-img_6297.jpg  

Suedehead is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th February 2013, 09:13   #2462
NIP
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suedehead View Post

Pictures attached. Clicked at 11 PM so apologies for all the flash but I do have a hectic travel schedule and I wanted to punch in my reply before I take off again. Just two pieces of metal on the hinge with 3*2 allen nuts. Hope it helps.

Best regards,

Suedehead
Is this safe ?!? Its definitely clever...
Old 7th February 2013, 09:54   #2463
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIP View Post
Is this safe .
Hi,

Can you please elaborate on why its unsafe. As I'd like to do the same on my Jeep.
Old 7th February 2013, 10:16   #2464
Team-BHP Support

That is one heavy equipment there. It is very heavy on the base and light on the top. I am no mechanical engineer, but I feel it is putting very uneven load on the hood hinges and a load it is not designed for. It may eventually damage the hood, warp it. I'll let mechanical engineers comment further.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2013, 10:17   #2465
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIP View Post
Is this safe ?!? Its definitely clever...
I hope so sir! Its a professional job. Time will tell.

Best regards,

Suedehead
Old 7th February 2013, 10:26   #2466
Distinguished - BHPian

The weight should come on the hinges only when the bonnet is opened right? Otherwise the bonnet rests on the body and that takes the weight if i'm not mistaken.

However, i've seen a jeep with this arrangement and it's extremely difficult to open the bonnet and work and causes a lot of strain at that time on the hinge. Also there's a high possibility of damaging / scratching the bonnet while removing and fixing the hi lift back.
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th February 2013, 11:45   #2467
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
The weight should come on the hinges only when the bonnet is opened right? Otherwise the bonnet rests on the body and that takes the weight if i'm not mistaken.
You are thinking static load. What about dynamic load?

Last edited by Samurai : 7th February 2013 at 11:47.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2013, 11:47   #2468
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
That is one heavy equipment there. It is very heavy on the base and light on the top. I am no mechanical engineer, but I feel it is putting very uneven load on the hood hinges and a load it is not designed for. It may eventually damage the hood, warp it. I'll let mechanical engineers comment further.
It might damage the hinge eventually.. Which, well.. can be replaced at a nominal cost.
Quote:

However, i've seen a jeep with this arrangement and it's extremely difficult to open the bonnet and work and causes a lot of strain at that time on the hinge. Also there's a high possibility of damaging / scratching the bonnet while removing and fixing the hi lift back.
+1.. Yeah.. Taking it out and putting it back will need two people. Or else, bonnet will get scratches.

Hmm.. that is the main con I'm seeing. However, what makes me inclined towards this arrangement is that its pretty easy and cheap to make the fittings and it looks good as well.
Old 7th February 2013, 13:45   #2469
BHPian

That reminds me of a question I have. Are you guys able to open the Bonnet by yourself? It is a two man job for me. One has to pull the lever and the other has to lift the bonnet at the same time.
Old 7th February 2013, 14:16   #2470
XD2
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashishy View Post
That reminds me of a question I have. Are you guys able to open the Bonnet by yourself? It is a two man job for me. One has to pull the lever and the other has to lift the bonnet at the same time.
You can pull the lever and then go and open the bonnet. Dont need to do it at the 'same time'. If it doesnt work for you, it could be a specific issue with your Thar.
Old 7th February 2013, 15:11   #2471
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
You are thinking static load. What about dynamic load?
What kind of dynamic load? Twisting during offroading? Doubt if that much stress comes on the hinge during flex that the additional weight may cause a problem. This is my understanding and i could be proved wrong though.
Old 7th February 2013, 15:58   #2472
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
What kind of dynamic load? Twisting during offroading? Doubt if that much stress comes on the hinge during flex that the additional weight may cause a problem. This is my understanding and i could be proved wrong though.
No, that is not what I meant by dynamic load.

Um, let me give you a practical example.

Let's say you pick up two 5Kg dumbbells, one in each hand, lift it and hold it above your head. I am sure you can do it easily. That is static load.

Now you start running with it. How do you think your arms and shoulders will feel now? The additional load you are feeling now is dynamic load.

Nothing to do with flexing. Dynamic load comes into play when you are in motion. So when the Thar is moving, braking, jumping... the heavy hi-lift jack will put dynamic load on the hinge it is installed on.

Last edited by Samurai : 7th February 2013 at 15:59.
Samurai is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th February 2013, 19:29   #2473
Senior - BHPian

I don't know how many of you might have observed this on Motor Beam's report for the Lonavala Great Escape. You guys must have read that the Thar was equipped with the 2.2 MHawk. In one of the pics taken from the Dash one can see an opening in the Bonnet/hood. Just like the scorpio for the Intercooler. But what is different is that this was not a one off job for just this one off piece, you'll notice proper design lines going ahead of that bonnet scoop. So effectively I think they are planning to change the shape of the Thar. As also stated by BD sir who has asked not to change the shape.

Even I am apprehensive about it now. I have been planning on and off for the Thar. Just because it'll be the sunday jeep. Now with the design change. Lets hope Mahindra does a good job for once and does not overdo the front like it is known to do to other vehicles.

http://www.motorbeam.com/cars/mahind...AR46jAspxwd.99

http://www.motorbeam.com/wp-content/...-Escape-26.JPG

Edit: I don't know why this pic is not uploading on the Tbhp server. Mods please do the needful in this case.

Last edited by navpreet318 : 7th February 2013 at 19:31.
navpreet318 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2013, 17:33   #2474
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Hi,

Can you please elaborate on why its unsafe. As I'd like to do the same on my Jeep.
The jack is not symmetric, it is loaded on one end, so it will always try to rotate under vibration, shift in direction and under hard breaking and acceleration. That is the "Dynamic" load case.
. Every time you brake, there will be a load on the fasteners.
. In case one is a bit loose, the jack will try to rotate around it and it will progressively strain the fastener.
. In a worse case scenario, the jack will just pivot on one bolt and break the windshield. In case both bolts shear off the jack will go through the windshield and seriously injure the occupants.
Aroy is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2013, 18:40   #2475
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
In a worse case scenario, the jack will just pivot on one bolt and break the windshield. In case both bolts shear off the jack will go through the windshield and seriously injure the occupants.
In both cases, the jack will fly away from the windshield (during sudden brake), unless you are doing a massive launch.

Last edited by Samurai : 8th February 2013 at 18:52.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks