Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th February 2013, 20:07   #2491
BHPian

re: Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suedehead View Post
Yes, the speed is definitely down on initial pick up and in all gears. The jeep also feels funny on slow turns. Gets resistance.

I have not touched the 4x4 lever in 4 weeks or more. But then both my drivers have driven the jeep over short ferry distances on tarmac and the jeep has also spent time at two different workshops for getting odds and ends done. I've incidentally never heard the click in the past when I have disengaged 4x4.

The lift kit was 10K including installation.

I am really worried now. Saturdays destroyed. I am hauling her back to the workshop tomorrow.

Best regards,

Suedehead
Your symptoms are pretty much saying that the hubs are still locked. Why don't you try this and see if it works:

- Start the jeep and take it to a mud road or an open ground, basically anything that is non-tar.
- Engage the 4L and drive it for 2-3 mins, make sure you engage 4L only when the jeep is stationary.
- Similarly, halt and disengage the 4L and put the reverse gear. Back up for about 5-10 meters. Put off any music etc that may prevent you from hearing the click sound.
- Usually the click happens right under 5-10 meters of reversing the jeep. Once you hear the click, you know for sure that the hubs are disengaged.

Drive it back and check for improvements in the turning etc.

Refer to Page 40 on the manual for the above mentioned process. Mine is a little adaptation of it since I learnt it from a friend too , but I'm putting the page from the manual for reference.

Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)-manual1.jpg

Last edited by amolpol : 15th February 2013 at 20:14.
amolpol is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2013, 20:55   #2492
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Yes, the speed is definitely down on initial pick up and in all gears. The jeep also feels funny on slow turns. Gets resistance.

I have not touched the 4x4 lever in 4 weeks or more. But then both my drivers have driven the jeep over short ferry distances on tarmac and the jeep has also spent time at two different workshops for getting odds and ends done. I've incidentally never heard the click in the past when I have disengaged 4x4.

The lift kit was 10K including installation.

I am really worried now. Saturdays destroyed. I am hauling her back to the workshop tomorrow.

Best regards,

Suedehead
Funny feeling on turning is a classic symptom that the jeep is in 4wd.

Recheck that. Driving with a locked 4x4 will cause a drivetrain windup.

Edit: doesn't matter if hubs are locked or unlocked in 2wd. The funny feeling will not come on turning with that.

The jeep will be in 4h or 4L. Check it.

Last edited by Tejas@perioimpl : 15th February 2013 at 20:57.
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2013, 22:09   #2493
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amolpol View Post
Refer to Page 40 on the manual for the above mentioned process. Mine is a little adaptation of it since I learnt it from a friend too , but I'm putting the page from the manual for reference.
Dear Amolpol, I did this. No clicks mate. No joy at all. I took it on a very sandy off road section and shifted 4x4 back and forth and reverse till the cows came home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
Funny feeling on turning is a classic symptom that the jeep is in 4wd.

Recheck that. Driving with a locked 4x4 will cause a drivetrain windup.

Edit: doesn't matter if hubs are locked or unlocked in 2wd. The funny feeling will not come on turning with that.

The jeep will be in 4h or 4L. Check it.
Dear Tejas, the funny felling relates to rolling resistance when I am turning.

I am gutted. I am so terribly gutted. I'll be up and out by 7AM and make the mega kilometer trek to NBS tomorrow. Therein lies salvation. I just hope it can be done tomorrow itself or I'll need to dump the Thar for my gas guzzling alternate for my Sunday - Wednesday road trip.

Best regards,
Suedehead
Old 15th February 2013, 22:14   #2494
BHPian

Quote:
Dear Amolpol, I did this. No clicks mate. No joy at all. I took it on a very sandy off road section and shifted 4x4 back and forth and reverse till the cows came home.

Dear Tejas, the funny felling relates to rolling resistance when I am turning.

I am gutted. I am so terribly gutted. I'll be up and out by 7AM and make the mega kilometer trek to NBS tomorrow. Therein lies salvation. I just hope it can be done tomorrow itself or I'll need to dump the Thar for my gas guzzling alternate for my Sunday - Wednesday road trip.

Best regards,
Suedehead
Thats not so good to hear mate. Hope the ASC visit solves the mystery tomorrow. Best of luck!
amolpol is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2013, 22:47   #2495
AVR
BHPian

Suedehead,
Pretty sure it's the auto locking part of the hubs that is acting up. Have faced it in my Safari also. Fair amount of reversing doesn't solve the problem then it's an issue with locking/unlocking.
Not sure if manual locking hubs are available for the Thar but worth looking our for them
Cheers
Adi
AVR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2013, 22:52   #2496
BHPian

Hi Guys,

when is the new 2.2 mhawk Thar getting launched? also i see that in the engine spec in the Thar CRDe shows NEF TCI- CRDe; is this a new engine? or just marketing lingo?

Cheers
Old 16th February 2013, 00:35   #2497
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVR View Post
Suedehead,
Pretty sure it's the auto locking part of the hubs that is acting up. Have faced it in my Safari also. Fair amount of reversing doesn't solve the problem then it's an issue with locking/unlocking.
Not sure if manual locking hubs are available for the Thar but worth looking our for them
Cheers
Adi
Hi Adi,

I am quite convinced as well it's the hubs. Manual hubs are definitely available but not very freely from what I understand. Let me see what I can eventually do. I am hoping, it will be sorted tomorrow.

Best regards,
Suedehead
Old 18th February 2013, 15:33   #2498
BHPian

After a lot of contemplation, I visited the Mahindra Showroom (India Garage) to book myself a Thar CRDE. To my surprise the dealership refused to take the booking amount and confirmed that the Thar has been pulled out of production and is no longer available.

I am super shocked!. Does anyone have any updates/information about the future plans of M&M and its Thar.
Old 18th February 2013, 15:42   #2499
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yikes6633 View Post
After a lot of contemplation, I visited the Mahindra Showroom (India Garage) to book myself a Thar CRDE. To my surprise the dealership refused to take the booking amount and confirmed that the Thar has been pulled out of production and is no longer available.

I am super shocked!. Does anyone have any updates/information about the future plans of M&M and its Thar.
Wait for sometime, heard from little birdie that Thar is coming with all new interior in next two months. Check with Mahindra guys again.

Shubhendra Singh
Old 18th February 2013, 15:44   #2500
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
To my surprise the dealership refused to take the booking amount and confirmed that the Thar has been pulled out of production and is no longer available.

Hold on, don't worry. Thar is selling too well for Mahindra to pull a Qualis on it.

I am sure it is a temporary halt, may be for... Ok, I don't want to speculate. Anyway, a word has been passed for an official explanation of the same.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2013, 19:19   #2501
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I am quite convinced as well it's the hubs. Manual hubs are definitely available but not very freely from what I understand. Let me see what I can eventually do. I am hoping, it will be sorted tomorrow.
One more way to check if the hubs are working is (A little crazy, but effective):

Find an area with very little traction, like in gravel, and try doing a wheel spin in 4WD. The front wheels will spin, along with the back wheels. So: The hubs are getting locked, no issues there..

Now, shift into 2WD and follow the procedure as given in the manual for unlocking the hubs. After which, move the vehicle a little bit forward or reverse while having someone else check if the front prop shaft is turning. If yes, the hubs are still locked. If no, the hubs are unlocked and there is no problem with the hubs.

That said: Unless you are in 4WD - Low, I don't think there will be any noticeable resistance for a 2.5 liter CRDe, with just the hubs locked. But, yeah.. top speed might get reduced.

I suspect jammed brakes..

So: Jack up the Jeep and try rotating the tyres. They should roll freely.
dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2013, 04:47   #2502
Senior - BHPian

Surprising, the bookings have stopped, this means something new is on the cards. BTW, did you check out the new family friendly offroader from Force Motors? Not a Jeep though, as I am made to understand that Jeeps come with a SFA. Getting one registered in a BS-IV city will be a pain though, I must say.

I sincerely hope that Force motors cashes on with this opportunity and try to rake in with some decent numbers for a few months. Now this news is something for the Burkha (oops) Gurkha fanboys to cheer about !

Cheers.

Spike
SPIKE ARRESTOR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th February 2013, 11:00   #2503
BHPian

Thar gets featured on Jalopnik. The article ends with this: "(Thar) may have even developed to be more of a "real" Jeep than its more famous American brother. I know for some that borders on sacrilege, but I defy any real Jeep lover to look at a Thar and not see the distilled, fundamental idea of a Jeep."

Article also features BHPian @drifter who helped the journo with the trail.

http://jalopnik.com/driving-indias-j...burd-246306566
Old 19th February 2013, 12:15   #2504
BHPian

Quote:

Hi,

I am not too sure, why the booking amount wasn't considered in India Garage, but Thar is definitely not out of production. One of my friend is in top management of India Garage Sales, and through him I got an input, Thar mHawk engine in on the anvil soon with new Bolero dash.

mHawk engine is 2.2 L 126BHP, 380 Torgue.

Though this engine is more powerful, the top speed is reduced than the current existing CRDe Thar.

That's the update I received from the known source at India Garage. I am definitely not sure until I see the mHawk Thar on road.
kicksperliter is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th February 2013, 16:16   #2505

Hi. I have booked a thar in Mumbai in January. They said initially there was going to be a delay of a month or so. On repeated enquiries, I was told today that the production is temporarily halted. I hope they resume production soon!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks