Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st February 2011, 21:33   #991
Senior - BHPian

re: Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtreme power View Post
drove speedy's thar
loved it !!!!!!
the wider rubber makes for an awesome stance and better road handling
on road 9/10
dont know about ofroad yet
i still in my small head feel a rear difflock and she will kill the competition
Good to hear that Allan. Have you started working on Speedy's Thar yet? Waiting to see what both of you have planned for the Thar.

And it is good in a way that the bookings for the Thar has been stopped. This will give enough time for Speedy, Shibu etc. to actually test the Thar in off-road situations and give us feedback.
Old 22nd February 2011, 01:14   #992
Senior - BHPian

I tried to stay away but some rather recent posts of our fellow bhpians made me say some words.

Some definitions:
Forum: Is a place usually a internet site where like minded members can have a conversation.

Debate: Formal method of interactive argument.

Personal Attack: Is is an attempt to link the validity of a premise to a characteristic or belief of the person advocating the premise.

When M&M, sorry DB sir started a thread with wish lists we gave our frank opinions. There were three classic mindsets which gave these opinions.
1) Hard core offroad
2) Both offroader and city driver
3) Style boy aka city boy who loves bling and offroad means kethon main farmhouse party

M&M seemed to be planning on launching one trim of this vehicle but after a lot of delays and we realised that not one but three trims were available.
DI
Crde
Adventure

This threaded started great. Awesome review by everyone involved. There were pros and cons stated and this vehicle was tested to try out some trails which went on well. It was not a biased thread to read.

Few points which were highlighted (Let me stick to the cons):

> Vehicle lacked a AC and Hardtop (risky of theft in city environment)
> IFS on the front is very delicate ( DI has a solid axle so option is available)
> Seat is not alligned to the steering (Have a bolero and never noticed this one)
> Interiors suck (This has been said by everyone and i do agree on this too)
> Footboard and some parts in the rear will get in mild OTR conditions
> Pricing (Too pricey and i could buy a scorpio or bolero storm or tata safari at this price)

This thread then went into a loop. There were a lot of expectations. Some were not satisfied but by reading the thread it looks as though M&M has launched a sedan when we asked for a offroad car. Everyone harps on the same points.

There are two varieties of points.
1 is a very technical as to why didnt this particular gear box or differential did not get used or why was this engine block not used. If we are thinking of it why would a company who makes these parts not think of it? Have we spared a thought?

2 This is bad, that is bad, everyone who buys a thar will come offroad and ruin our club. This is a constant chatter involving the same set of CONS i mentioned above.

The reason for my long post is someone who comes and tries to advocate that Thar is a decent product gets pounced on. This is more like personal attacks and no one has been spared. Does it take like 65 odd pages and 900 posts for one to realise it? Look at the number of repeat posts mentioning the same point!

We can offer constructive criticism instead and mention specifics to the company for improving the product rather than making it attacks on them that the company would hardly care to ask. Give M&M credit. They asked and we offered them suggestions and despite the amount of criticism they are willing to listen.

Just last week a new TD report did come on Tbhp. It was one of my fav vehicles. The Merc G. Awesome vehicle which some claimed would be awesome to take offroad. Ya right at 1.05 crores i would not personally think of doing so but for everyone his own.

@Speedy: Love your cars stance but surprised that you removed the wheel arches

These were very much in demand when i had given my 540 for repair and there was no where i could find it. Hope to get more reviews from you about your ride.
Old 22nd February 2011, 01:27   #993
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD View Post
Let me remind you, not just AC, HT & IFS but poor build quality, rusty pieces, sharp edges, poor sitting position, bus like steering, etc. As Samurai mentioned its mindset of two vs almost the whole board. So, are you trying to imply that we have only 2 mature people on board!
Sir i dont think you have spent time with the Thar. Its not a mind set sir, i own one and have spent time with the car so i know what i am talking. I was adviced to keep out of making comments and so i shall. Dont want to offend anyone. Each to their own i would say.

Quote:
A few posts back you were crying about pathetic dealer/company attitude & we lesser mortals do not even have access to the Thar thanks to the great dealers & even greater company that even after ~3 months of launch, there isn't a vehicle to see, let alone TD & then buy if keen.
I still say the bombay dealership owned by Mahindra needs a rewamp. A bad dealership does not mean the car is bad.

Quote:
My heartiest congrats to you on your purchase & may you enjoy it fully but keep in mind, if you have made purchase of a vehicle that does not necessarily mean that its the best. As a principle I never patronize the vehicle I buy/use blindly but give a proper/true account of it.
I have driven better jeeps and cars, so the Thar for me is nothing to die for. I dont get impressed easily by any car, so Patronizing the Thar is a long shot. I never said it was perfect, what i said was the same things being repeated on this thread for 60 pages.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post

Dear Abhishek - I want to drive the Maxxis Boghorns. Maybe over this weekend. I want to check the "on-road manners". What say?
Whenever you are free sir. It would be a pleasure to bring her over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by discoverwild View Post
Yes, my dear friend. My gypsy king was bone stock, save for a change of tyres after 40000 kms where I switched to radials from cross-ply.
I mean did you offroad with her, in the bone stock condition.

Quote:
As regarding whether I was monetarily involved with Mahindra, I can say I would have put my money where my mouth is, if I had got what I needed. I never said a word about HT or AC anywhere. I would have been happier with solid-axle and definitely better interiors and ergonomics.
There is the MDI that suits ur need for the solid axel, why did'nt you consider that?

@Maddy42 - thank you. The look that i have in mind and the use of the car, the wheel arches, foot board, seats and hood have to go. The hood has kind of grown on me and i am only delaying its removal. Yes i do realise alot of things once dicarded are the hardest to find later on when you need them, so for now i am holding on to the parts removed.

Last edited by speedy : 22nd February 2011 at 01:36.
Old 22nd February 2011, 08:03   #994
Team-BHP Support

I would just like to point out that the DI is not an option for most of us. Its not available in BS4. So unless you are willing to relocate or provide false information on your house, you cannot register it.
Old 22nd February 2011, 08:23   #995
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Do you know why Duryodhan always hated the Pandavas? If you don't, you will have to actually read the Mahabharat, right from the beginning. Reading just one Thar thread, that too the latest one, will not enlighten you why so many are unhappy about it. Please don't hand out profound judgement after viewing just the latest episode, this serial started in December 2008.
Dear Samurai,

It was never my intention to offend any member on this forum. If my post came across as a personal attack, then I sincerely apologise to one and all.
My only point was that the future of this thread should be dictated by things like the ownership threads and not by what M&M have not delivered.
Here's hoping to interact with you under more amicable circumstances in the future.
Regards,
Sandeep Janjua.

Quote:
^ Agree wholeheartedly to the above comment by Samurai.

I think Janjua needs to read the other threads and see how a lot of serious Jeepers and off-roaders were taken for a ride. BTW, if you are pleased with the Thar, the way it is now, please go ahead and buy it. No one's stopping you.
Dear discoverwild,

I am very much pleased with the Thar and Goel Motors, Mohali have assured me of the delivery of a Rocky Beige Mahindra Thar on the 24th of February. Will keep you posted.

Regards,
Sandeep Janjua.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMT View Post
Samurai- very aptly put!

Januja- I think 'passion' is the appropriate term not hate /venom etc.
The way the concept was first introduced, everyones expectations were high.

Whilst what has been delivered is better than the Jeeps of yore in many respects, it is still a bit of lost opportunity.

We can fix some of the things (like old Amby days) by taking the new vehicle to the wksp and stripping down, however there are things that can be done only at the manufacturers end.

I think most people here actually want the Thar to succeed (& evolve).

Personally I look forward to ongoing updates from Thar users like Speedy & Jeepcaptain for their views/mods on the vehicle in the real world.
Dear KMT,

I agree with you there. Deep down everybody on this forum wants the Thar to do well. That is the reason for the overflowing of passions.

Regards,
Sandeep Janjua

Quote:
Unfounded views is all I can comment on your long, rather hilarious post.
I could never ever ridicule the views/comments of fellow members whom I keep in very high esteem. There's something know as "Consumer feedback" which if used properly, translates into better/superior products. Ofcourse you need a Company which pays heed to the "Feedback".

This has been a very fair review & comments by the members have been spot on. "A spade has to be called a spade"! Regarding "drool", members over here are mature enough to see what drool worthy or not.

I can only suggest, please don't try & run down anybodys views just because you have different. Learn to respect others views & suggestions, they are all targeted at making the Thar a better vehicle.

The very essence of a public board is "freedom to express". If you like others views, fine. If not, just move over, can't do much!
Dear AWD,

You can laugh all you want. Laughing is good for ones' health!
Why are you acting like a counsel for other members on this forum?
I am sure as like everybody else here, you also hold fellow members in high esteem.
I know the definition of consumer feedback and please keep your suggestions (even though well intentioned) to yourself.
Yes, I agree with 'freedom to express', but it works well only when fellow members take criticism constructively and not be touchy about it.
Looking forward to better exchanges with you in the future.

Regards,
Sandeep Janjua.

Last edited by Technocrat : 23rd February 2011 at 00:13. Reason: fixed quotes
Old 22nd February 2011, 09:31   #996
AWD
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janjua View Post
Why are you acting like a counsel for other members on this forum?
If taking a neutral/right/truthful path appears like being a counsel, so be it!

Quote:
keep your suggestions (even though well intentioned) to yourself
Why so Saar ji, remember we are on a free board & till one is posting within the rules/regulations, there can't be any throttling of voices.
I will express my feeling's to heart's content & no stopping there. Nobody can do zilch about it.

Quote:
'freedom to express', but it works well only when fellow members take criticism constructively and not be touchy about it.
"Constructively" till it doesn't become personal. The criticism can be directed towards a product & not members(as rightly mentioned by Samurai).

Still if you have to criticize someone, better come up with proofs rather than just accusations. Things don't work the sarkari way on this board where any babu can come & start doing things on his own will!
Old 22nd February 2011, 09:56   #997
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
I would just like to point out that the DI is not an option for most of us. Its not available in BS4. So unless you are willing to relocate or provide false information on your house, you cannot register it.
If somebody is really interested, there is a legal way to get it. If you have a close friend or relative in a non-BSIV town, buy the Thar DI in their name. After that you can either use it that way itself or you can buy the vehicle from your friend/relative and re-register/update the RTO information. The only downside to the second method is that you would be the second owner of the vehicle.

But then you get a brand new vehicle with:
  • Solid axle
  • NGCS chassis
  • Proven engine.
That would be much better than buying a second hand old vehicle or army vehicle.

Last edited by pjbiju : 22nd February 2011 at 09:57.
Old 22nd February 2011, 10:09   #998
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjbiju View Post
If somebody is really interested, there is a legal way to get it. If you have a close friend or relative in a non-BSIV town, buy the Thar DI in their name. After that you can either use it that way itself or you can buy the vehicle from your friend/relative and re-register/update the RTO information. The only downside to the second method is that you would be the second owner of the vehicle.

But then you get a brand new vehicle with:
  • Solid axle
  • NGCS chassis
  • Proven engine.
That would be much better than buying a second hand old vehicle or army vehicle.

What is the purpose of the legislation that prohibits non BS4 vehicles from being sold in the city?

The large volume of traffic that is present.

By contributing to already bad pollution levels, are we not destroying the very nature that a 4*4 is intended to enable us to enjoy.

The joy of finally getting a street legal, non-polluting, A.S.S supported vehicle with warranty. Was to me the best that could happen.

But alas that joy was only on paper.
A manufacturer who promised us a vehicle worthy of both off-road and on-road performance. When that promise is not met and we feel cheated.

If you feel that I am making a stand on pollution as an excuse to make an argument. Please search my old threads on cat-con in wagon R failing.
It would have been so easy to remove the cat con and get rid of the rattle at slow speeds...but what did I choose.
Old 22nd February 2011, 11:24   #999
Senior - BHPian

Abhishek - is it possible to customize the AC for the Thar? Maruti basically left it to me and I had it customized with a Superking Blower and a 6V10 variable vane compressor. In the Thar I would like to go for a Superking Blower + Rotary compressor (at least 125cc) and a heater coil as well. I think the Gypsy is better insulated than the Thar (hard top) so if you are planning Ladakh in September in the Thar, it is better to have a heating coil as well.

If you are going to have a chat with the installer, pull me along for the discussion.
Old 22nd February 2011, 12:36   #1000

Heater comes Standard in the Thar Remember!
Old 23rd February 2011, 11:37   #1001
BHPian

Can a hardtop be installed for Thar here in Hyderabad? If the dimensions are the same as the 540, can the hardtop of 540 be put on it?
Old 23rd February 2011, 12:11   #1002
Team-BHP Support

540 hard top you mean Roplas one? They look horrendous and the rear doors are so out of place. Hyderabad has so many great jeep builders, it would be better to get something custom made from them.
Old 23rd February 2011, 12:23   #1003
Senior - BHPian

Not sure if this was mentioned here. I read on Topgear magazine that CRDe version does 0-100 in 19.XX seconds. I expected it to do 0 to 100 within 15 seconds.
Old 23rd February 2011, 13:02   #1004

Our Storm does 0-100 in far less a time than the one mentioned above. And it is 95 BHP. And this was tested with two people in the car (and I am FAT so that adds to the weight)

Again, There is something wrong about these figures for sure. And again, Dad or spike would be the BEST person to comment.
Old 23rd February 2011, 13:10   #1005
Senior - BHPian

@jkdas & cyrus:

That is a misprint. 0-100kph for the Thar is 16.39 seconds.

Drifter

Last edited by drifter : 23rd February 2011 at 13:19.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks