Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st February 2011, 14:23   #976
Senior - BHPian

re: Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsferrari View Post
I should post my opinions here...

So yes - I am definitely open to owning a Thar...a change from my earlier position. Too bad I have a Gypsy at the moment which is keeping me VERY happy.
Hey Guru, thats awesome news man. Congratulations.
Old 21st February 2011, 15:12   #977
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
If the THAR chooses to pit itself against "older" modded jeeps, so be it. What stops the manufacturers from giving Diff locks or AT tyres ? Pollution norms?
That happened only here, There is the MDI version with similar configurations to the older jeeps. I dont see why we require diff locks and AT tyres for street use, afterall most buyers are going to use it for this purpose.

Quote:
Its not the winners idea alone, but lets not get into Pareto Analysis!
Sure thing.

Quote:
Did you know "why" I sold my Bolero Storm 8 months and 23000 kms of buying it?
Cause you were using the wrong car offroading

Quote:
* Everybody does not have access to top management like you sir, the forum is a place where they can express their opinion, cant they?
Sir unlike what you think, i do not have access given to the top Management, i make my way to them. In this case i wrote a letter to the company and by chance bumped into Mr.Mahindra at the club i go to and spoke to him. He was more than keen to see my car when it was ready. In a company structure the bad is always kept away from the boss and the good is highlighted. There is nothing about expressing our opinion headers, we have all the right too, but saying this i would also like to point out, that we need to know first hand and then say things. I am sure i cannot comment on the reasons for you selling your bolero as you would be able too.

Quote:
** I would expect AC and HT from a lifestyle vehicle especially if I have to do intercity rides in comfort.
Agreed but the AC is provided as a dealer fitment. The hardtop has to be made by oneself for now. I am sure the hardtop option would be expensive just like getting the AC from a dealer is. So now the question arises are we willing to pay the extra cost?

Quote:
Speedy generously let me take a spin in the Thar, now shod with Maxxis Bighorn rubber and testicle crushing recaro seats.
Stop embarrasing me, its a car bro.

Quote:
It isn't the most powerful vehicle I've ever driven and it is far from being the best handling. What did tick the box for me is the fact that this is a Jeep with 4x4, good looks and an engine that gives it cruise-ability. Now if I can get one with A/C, immobilizer and a long-range fuel tank then I'll be sorted.
Some of the wants will be fulfilled. I was giving it a thought with the Leh idea you came up with and changes will be made to my design.

Quote:
I would imagine I'll have to give up on the more difficult off-roading obstacles purely because I don't want to hurt the vehicle...but I think this is a tradeoff I might be willing to make.
We wont know till we dont try. So untill then these are all questions unanswered in my mind too.

Quote:
So yes - I am definitely open to owning a Thar...a change from my earlier position. Too bad I have a Gypsy at the moment which is keeping me VERY happy.
You allready do..why a second one..

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
On a lighter note, I have lost count of the number of names this place carries- Anaconda and now Avalcando (in Malayalam this means "Did she see it?")
OOPs sorry, Now i know a new word too. See the learning goes on.

Last edited by mobike008 : 22nd February 2011 at 14:35. Reason: Please STICK to 2 smiley per post
Old 21st February 2011, 15:38   #978
AWD
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
This car has been run down by most people on grounds of IFS,HT and AC. Trust me i dont think most of the members are mature here.
What makes you think the company is going to stop all its working and read what a handfull of people on this forum have written and spend crores to make changes.
I am sure more than half the people who have made judgements on the Thar have not even sat in one let alone drive it.
Let me remind you, not just AC, HT & IFS but poor build quality, rusty pieces, sharp edges, poor sitting position, bus like steering, etc. As Samurai mentioned its mindset of two vs almost the whole board. So, are you trying to imply that we have only 2 mature people on board!

Products are a result of consumer want + company will. Companies like Honda pay heed to consumer advise/suggestions in an instant. Why did the company in question here launch a thread on "what you want in Thar"! It invited suggestions form consumers/board members. As a reality check let me tell you most companies keep a keen watch on boards to gauge consumer interest/feedback. Those who don't vanish/pack their bags.

You always don't have to burn your hand to know that fire is indeed hot, or do you! Similarly, the reviews posted by members, auto mags, etc are a 1st hand experience & un-biased. So, if its their impression, why blame other members. As for me, I completely rely on consumer feedback & reviews.

A few posts back you were crying about pathetic dealer/company attitude & we lesser mortals do not even have access to the Thar thanks to the great dealers & even greater company that even after ~3 months of launch, there isn't a vehicle to see, let alone TD & then buy if keen.

My heartiest congrats to you on your purchase & may you enjoy it fully but keep in mind, if you have made purchase of a vehicle that does not necessarily mean that its the best. As a principle I never patronize the vehicle I buy/use blindly but give a proper/true account of it.
Old 21st February 2011, 16:14   #979
Senior - BHPian

could anyone confirm how many Thar CRDe's sold till now?

spike or BD sir?

just want to confirm if the first production lot has been sold completely and 2nd batch production has begun?

some tbhpians like Jeep Captain, went ahead and bought his thar! well he owns a regiment of 4x4s!

people like me are still holding back the Rs 6 big ones just to get the right vehicle, because i dont have a regiment of 4x4s!
Old 21st February 2011, 16:15   #980
KMT
BHPian

Spike- dont post such pictures and give innocent minds wicked ideas!!!
It looks great with the side exhaust.

Black Raven - Congratulations.

Speedy-please keep the updates flowing.
Old 21st February 2011, 16:37   #981
Team-BHP Support

Oh wow this started again eh! Very honestly now that i look back at different threads, it looks so hilarious!!! M&M had seriously taken many of us for a ride with the soft marketing over the years. We should have realized it earlier. Can't blame them now. That is why i stay away from this car thread these days.

Had to reply to the question posted by the gentelman below, though am not macho or hairy 6 foot hulk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janjua View Post
I have gone through the entire Mahindra Thar Test Drive & Review thread here.
==========
Were all of you ready with your check books just waiting to jump the que to book the Thar?
===========
Till 2 weeks back i was, but Hyundai seems to have taken over my attention. Still if i try hard i can be ready in couple of months Will M&M be?

Why i do not like the vehicle in its current form, especially since its quoted at 7.3x lakhs in BLR is....

Quote:
Except for the IFS and the engine this is an old jeep.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD View Post
Let me remind you, not just AC, HT & IFS but poor build quality, rusty pieces, sharp edges, poor sitting position, bus like steering, etc.
^^^ mentioned points make Thar a no no for me, add NO AC and HT at that horrendous price.

So at the end when i spent money, it does not meet my needs, nor it makes me stay away from garage and still adds more expenses. To make it to my spec???? Reason i was considering buying a "brand new 4x4" is to STAY away from all this in the first place!! Hence i decided i will continue with my humble CJ3B build. Well at the end of it, I should have saved 3 lakhs i guess.

Another brilliant idea running in my head is, (Thanks to Staraqua for the idea). Due to "HUGE sales" (atleast as per M&M) , soon there will be many thrown away at rock bottom price in 2nd hand market. So i will wait for them to "build" myself a Thar Ver 2.

I guess there are about 4 to 6 confirmed buyers in TBHP with 3 deliveries so far. Which according to me is great. Hope the "real reason" for delays in delivery/production etc are not something else apart from HUGE sales
Old 21st February 2011, 18:04   #982
AWD
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
M&M had seriously taken many of us for a ride with the soft marketing over the years. We should have realized it earlier.
^^^ mentioned points make Thar a no no for me, add NO AC and HT at that horrendous price.
Hope the "real reason" for delays in delivery/production etc are not something else apart from HUGE sales
I tried to put the same feelings forward a while ago but due to board constraints, held back. Is true MM took many of us for a ride through exceptional marketing skills.

Like you & many more, I too counted myself out of the Thar waiting simply because it does not fit in the 6L space. A.C. & P.S. are a must for me & reasonable build quality, atleast comparable to Alto levels if nothing more.
Another reason was in-different attitude of local dealers, whom I gave all the updates through tbhp. Even the launch news was broken by me to them. Since the launch, they have failed to show me the vehicle. Such shabby treatment is more than enough to walk away.

I 101% agree with your last statement, had it been numbers, MM would have advertised hard about the same. If they take customer feedback positively, it should mean tweaking but I guess if they did, the product would have been al-together different from the start.
Old 21st February 2011, 18:34   #983
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I tried to put the same feelings forward a while ago but due to board constraints, held back. Is true MM took many of us for a ride through exceptional marketing skills.
Dear AWD - Ref above comment, especially the underlined part, I am a product development / vehicle test engineer from R&D department. My intention was never to take anybody for any ride. It was to progress the project through it's logical developmental path and make the vehicle see light of day which I believe I have successfully done. I would request you to note the same and remove any misconceptions that you may have.

However, I am very happy to read your comment. "Exceptional Marketing Skills?" - Wow, that's really cool, man! . I did not realize this. Thanks for letting me know. .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 21st February 2011, 20:16   #984
BHPian

drove speedy's thar
loved it !!!!!!
the wider rubber makes for an awesome stance and better road handling
on road 9/10
dont know about ofroad yet
i still in my small head feel a rear difflock and she will kill the competition
Old 21st February 2011, 20:51   #985
BHPian

Quote:
Another reason was in-different attitude of local dealers, whom I gave all the updates through tbhp. Even the launch news was broken by me to them. Since the launch, they have failed to show me the vehicle. Such shabby treatment is more than enough to walk away.
Well, I went for a test drive yesterday - the 4th time since launch...! And no luck this time too...! There was one Black specimen, which apparently has been sold. Further, I was told that no test drive pieces are expected soon as Mahindra has won an order for 3000 Boleros and due to this reason Thar's production has been stopped. They asked me to come back after 3 months...!

So much for the wait and 50+ pages in TBHP...!

In any case, I managed to have a glance of the interiors of the one that was at the showroom (the one that was sold). Interiors are a BIG let down. I thought Maruti Alto which is 1/3rd the cost had a significantly better interior.

In any case, I have decided one thing. Unless Thar is spruced up, to justify a 7.00L cost incl. rework of its current auto-rickshaw quality interior's, its off my radar.

Last edited by alabjarus : 21st February 2011 at 20:52.
Old 21st February 2011, 21:06   #986
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Alan and all - thank you for your comments. So, it's 9 on 10 eh? Good. My God, it took 66 pages to come through. Difflock? Simple! .

By the way, you ain't seen' nothin' yet dude! Just think, use the below information and interpolate.

1 - ACCEPTING NO LIMITS.
2 - ALTERNATIVE THINKING.
3 - DRIVING POSITIVE CHANGE.

These are the 3 pillars of strength which are set in our mindset and which we use to advantage in whatever we do. In M&M, we call it RISE. .

Dear Abhishek - I want to drive the Maxxis Boghorns. Maybe over this weekend. I want to check the "on-road manners". What say?

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 21st February 2011, 21:23   #987
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Alan and all - thank you for your comments. So, it's 9 on 10 eh? Good. My God, it took 66 pages to come through. Difflock? Simple! .

sir,
9/10
yes..for a jeep and on road
you must drive her with the bighorns, feels and handles better
off the road is what matters to all, lets see how that goes
difflocks, simple ??????
why dont M&M offer it as an off the shelf buy, thats the least they can do to compensate for the lack of articulation up front

regards
Allan
Old 21st February 2011, 21:24   #988
Senior - BHPian

I drove Abhi's Thar with the Bighorns. Nothing I felt through the steering or from the engine response made me feel the tires were oversize. When 31" went on my Gypsy it felt like I had an elephant in tow! This engine is really ideal for a Jeep.

Diff-Locks and Crawler ratios will change the game...drop the speeds needed to cross an obstacle.
Old 21st February 2011, 21:27   #989
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So sir for 9 years you have offroaded with your Gypsy and she is bone stock as she came out of the factory?
Yes, my dear friend. My gypsy king was bone stock, save for a change of tyres after 40000 kms where I switched to radials from cross-ply.

As regarding whether I was monetarily involved with Mahindra, I can say I would have put my money where my mouth is, if I had got what I needed. I never said a word about HT or AC anywhere. I would have been happier with solid-axle and definitely better interiors and ergonomics.

My avatar says it all.
Old 21st February 2011, 21:30   #990
BHPian

Good or Bad.... Where's the Thar ? No sign of it in Chennai. Dealers here can't make out an MDI from Crde.

If anybody has TD the |Thar in Chennai, pls provide pointers.

Can't comment on the quality, but a clear supply chain failure, and that's not expected from a company who's vision is to manufacture everything that moves on land water and air (???).

Thar is no SX4, where people put their money even before launch or by just reading reviews.

Or is deliberate to keep it away from Chennai ??

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks