Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th February 2011, 12:41   #916
Senior - BHPian

re: Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreejeshmp View Post
Personally I don't think keeping a 2006 Indica is a good idea.
Off topic, but I disagree, Sreejesh. A lot of people own 2006 Indica Turbos and are having fun. I am just one of them with about 1,48,000 kms under the belt and I am loving it!

Back to the Thar, I think the new addition of some plates for the dashboard has improved upon the looks (not much) but I do hope the material has seem some improvement too.

Why the delay in release? I haven't yet seen one in Coimbatore, not even in the showroom.

Edit: Just checked the site. It is still not made available here. Children of a lesser God?

Last edited by discoverwild : 16th February 2011 at 12:49.
Old 18th February 2011, 11:05   #917
Senior - BHPian

Completely agree to Navpreet and Janjua. A lot of muck has been piled on this vehicle, for not being this and that, but the fact remains that no other STOCK vehicle comes close to the value this vehicle can offer per rupee.

So, for me, it'll either end up being the Thar (with AC and HT - company/dealer or aftermarket) or some Bolero avatar (Something seems to be cooking out there). For now, wait and watch, with money in the FD. :-))
Old 18th February 2011, 12:28   #918
BHPian

Behram Sir,

Getting a Hardtop for Thar should not be an issue, since you are there in M&M.

I mean if you were using something like this in the 80's, are the prospective Thar customers asking for more? (I am not 1 of them)

Picture courtesy Jalex. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)-beh-mm-hr.jpg  

Old 18th February 2011, 14:09   #919
BHPian

I have been following the Thar from whenever it was discussed, the scoop thread, the expo

thread and launch - and related discussions on FRFA, IFS and all of it.

I have always wanted a Jeep (seeing all the Army jeeps around),And I was very keen on the

Major - that's when I got to Team BHP and SVsantosh's thread on Major.

Since I had nothing to contribute - I was just reading all of it and learning

I had already made up my mind to buy the Thar whenever it was launched. Its been my laptop

screen background ever since. I am still driving my first car a 2005 model Zen.

Yes, i did my round of scouting for used jeeps and gave up that idea once I realized what

price those are available and what one has to go through for getting it to some form of reliability.(I followed Harjeev's thread and many others). There was always some issue or other that i could read - over heating, leakage or something else . And I almost bought the Gypsy...there was nothing else..

Anyway,

I also had the opportunity to test drive the Thar last month at India Garage in Bangalore albeit for a short 10-15 min drive in the city. Others have written eloborate experiences so no need to add anything from my side except that I liked whatever it has to offer.
Since I had already made my mind - there was only arranging the finance - which I was

acutally glad was available as from my experience finding finance for soft top was

difficult. No need to make the full payment.

I had asked the sales consultant to call me around mid of Feb, since they did not call- I

had called them today and was told to call them back in another 2 months as they are not

accepting booking. I am fine with it, I have a car to drive around and couple more months

means I can save for those tyres / alloys or perhaps the AC.

I had a few questions.

1. Can I get a Thar CRDE in White color - I don't mind it looking like a taxi or whatever,

I like white - but its sad that it is not avialable. Is it at all possible.

2. My brother drives a Scorpio and I notice that also has the carpeting that Thar has -

and I read that should be removed. If that absorbs and retains water - why is the

manufacturer giving that. Is it only to reduce NHV from the engine bay ? at the expense of

having to deal with rust later on?

3. Say if I have another 50-60K left after paying for the stock Thar - how best can I spend that amount .Should it go for AT Tyres and alloys or should it go towards the AC with the soft top.I am aware its not very effective but for that cool air when really required . I am not keen on the hard top as of now - though I must admit I do not know what it means to drive a soft top as a daily drive.

Cheers !
Carrot
Old 18th February 2011, 15:27   #920
Senior - BHPian

Saw this carwale TD on rediff.com

Road test: The superb Rs 5.99-lakh Mahindra Thar - Rediff.com Business

Why does it look very TBhp'istic ?
Old 18th February 2011, 15:35   #921
Senior - BHPian

Even I noticed that. Especially they mentioning that it can do 95% of the off-roading that other jeeps can do.

Anyway, it looks like there are no production/deliveries and they are yet to launch the Thar in other cities.
Old 18th February 2011, 15:59   #922
BHPian

Hi,

Can anyone please confirm as to why the Thar bookings have been stopped and the dealerships are refusing bookings.

Is it because they are overbooked, compared to production capacity or is it because M&M is trying to correct some of the issues with the production vehicle (interiors/tailgate opening lever etc. that have been hi-lighted by all).

If the above 2 reasons are not true, then it means that there is a marketing concern & M&M haven't got their act right.

Yikes!
Old 18th February 2011, 16:07   #923
Team-BHP Support

They are showing DI dashboard as CRDe dashboard.
Old 18th February 2011, 16:43   #924
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Some people were asking about pictures of the soft top Thar CRDe. Don't know if its been posted earlier, but I caught one during a recent visit to Milestone.

Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)-15022011588.jpg

Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)-15022011589.jpg

Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)-15022011590.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Can the THAR dare participate in the MGE and pose a threat to others?
I don't see why not. Each 4x4 has areas of strength and weakness. There are some that the Thar can blow the others away in (and vice versa). E.g. My 2.5 L IDI runs out of breath of long, slippery climbs. Would be a piece of cake for the Thar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
the fact remains that no other STOCK vehicle comes close to the value this vehicle can offer per rupee.
Completely agreed. The only other option today is the Gypsy, and we've already discussed the pros & cons. But expecting a vehicle without disadvantage is stuff of dreams. If the Thar has shoddy interiors, the Gypsy has a bone-jarring ride, poor FE and 1/3rd the low end torque.
Old 18th February 2011, 17:52   #925
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Some people were asking about pictures of the soft top Thar CRDe. Don't know if its been posted earlier, but I caught one during a recent visit to Milestone.
Thanks GTO for the pics!

The soft top is unimpressive! but is suppose I am not contributing anything new.

I remember going thru a official Mahindra website for modding the Boleros with genuine kits from Mahindra. They had very attractive options depicited. Hopefully the same will be launched for the Thar.

IMO the Thar is positioned right if M&M can relook the quality issues and provide a large array of equipment options as add on. As far as I can see the Thar has the basics right for being a cult thingy.
Old 18th February 2011, 19:11   #926
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrot_eater View Post
I had a few questions.

1. Can I get a Thar CRDE in White color - I don't mind it looking like a taxi or whatever,

2. My brother drives a Scorpio and I notice that also has the carpeting that Thar has -

and I read that should be removed. If that absorbs and retains water - why is the

manufacturer giving that. Is it only to reduce NHV from the engine bay ? at the expense of

3. Say if I have another 50-60K left after paying for the stock Thar - how best can I spend that amount .Should it go for AT Tyres and alloys or should it go towards the AC with the soft top.I am aware its not very effective but for that cool air when really required . I am not keen on the hard top as of now - though I must admit I do not know what it means to drive a soft top as a daily drive.

Cheers !
Carrot
Hi Carrot,
Thanks for being enthusiastic about THAR. Quickly answering your questions-
  • White THAR CRde is not possible
  • Many non off roaders which 90% of THAR owners are, would keep it with out getting wet and add a bit to curtail NVH. For people who plan to soak THAR in water, it is better to remove. Prolonged retaining of water will entertain rust be it THAR, Scorpio or any other vehicle.
  • For50 to 65K all yu will be able to do is to fit A/C and standard alloys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yikes6633 View Post
Hi,

Can anyone please confirm as to why the Thar bookings have been stopped and the dealerships are refusing bookings.

Is it because they are overbooked, compared to production capacity or .....

Yikes!
The first reason is true!

Last edited by vinod_nookala : 18th February 2011 at 19:14.
Old 18th February 2011, 19:34   #927
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod_nookala View Post
The first reason is true!
@Vinod: - Congratulations on your achievement

Please tell us when HT & AC factory fitted is going to come?
Old 19th February 2011, 13:23   #928
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrot_eater View Post

I had a few questions.

Cheers !
Carrot
Hi Carrot, just to get things right from a non marketing persons point of veiw.

1) you can always repaint the car white if you like.

2) The carpet and the firewall cloth is the same in the Thar. Please throw them out immidiately. They are completely useless as they absorb water and do not help in anyways. The company gives it as it was allready there with them and does not cost them anything. The car does not need the carpet to be soaked in water inorder to catch rust, it does so even without it.

3) The car comes with good tyres and if you do not plan on offroading, i suggest you let them be. The max you could do is get alloys in 6j for them. The top might look shoody and bad to you, but when you see it up close, they have channels to hold it tight and this is done to make it as sealed as possible for the AC. I did not like it too when i saw pictures, but now i kind of like my car with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yikes6633 View Post
Hi,

Is it because they are overbooked, compared to production capacity or is
The reason is stated above by you. There are no changes gonna be made in the Thar to improve it.

Quote:
Completely agreed. The only other option today is the Gypsy, and we've already discussed the pros & cons. But expecting a vehicle without disadvantage is stuff of dreams. If the Thar has shoddy interiors, the Gypsy has a bone-jarring ride, poor FE and 1/3rd the low end torque.
, Both the Gypsy and the Thar have their flaws, but both are livable with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mafia View Post

The soft top is unimpressive! but is suppose I am not contributing anything new.

IMO the Thar is positioned right if M&M can relook the quality issues and provide a large array of equipment options as add on. As far as I can see the Thar has the basics right for being a cult thingy.
The top might look unimpressive, but it sure does its job right. If you do plan on putting an AC, she will not let you down from any angle.

I dont think thats gonna be the case Mafia. Mahindra wont look into any angle except commercial. They have provided you with the customisation option and that too IMO is a waste of money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod_nookala View Post
  • White THAR CRde is not possible
  • Many non off roaders which 90% of THAR owners are, would keep it with out getting wet and add a bit to curtail NVH. For people who plan to soak THAR in water, it is better to remove. Prolonged retaining of water will entertain rust be it THAR, Scorpio or any other vehicle.
  • For50 to 65K all yu will be able to do is to fit A/C and standard alloys.
White Thar possible if you plan to repaint it yourself. It definatly would be a better job than the factory.

The owner does not need to be an offroader or someone who plans on taking the car swimming, to change the carpet provided. The carpet starts to tear even if someone sits in the rear and moves his foot around, spill water, while drinking and she is soaked. It is a complete no no from my side to retain it.

Now this is subjective to the cost of the ac charged by the dealership. I dont recommend getting it done from them, an outside AC person is also capable of doing it at a cheaper cost. The dealerships do the same thing and charge you extra. Now cheaper does not mean a road side person or cost cutting. It means a professional AC person. I was told 42 grand by the dealership for my car and that too the person they were sending it too was experimenting with the dealership car and then would do the same with mine. I sent it to a professional and had a quote of 25 grand to do the job.

Here is a picture of my car.
Attached Thumbnails
Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)-mahindra-thar1.jpg  

Last edited by speedy : 19th February 2011 at 13:28.
Old 19th February 2011, 13:35   #929
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I don't see why not. Each 4x4 has areas of strength and weakness. There are some that the Thar can blow the others away in (and vice versa). E.g. My 2.5 L IDI runs out of breath of long, slippery climbs. Would be a piece of cake for the Thar.

Finally some good assessment of a new vehicle!Thats how it should be taken.

Speedy:Good looking alloys! Do share the wheel and tire size details.Is the overall Dia lesser than the stock tires? or is it because you have removed the plastic fenders.

Last edited by navpreet318 : 19th February 2011 at 13:42.
Old 19th February 2011, 13:53   #930
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
Speedy:Good looking alloys! Do share the wheel and tire size details.Is the overall Dia lesser than the stock tires? or is it because you have removed the plastic fenders.
Thanks Navpreet318. The Alloys are 15x8j and the tyres are 31x10.5x15. I have removed the fiber wheel arches and the foot board too. This would contribute in her looking taller. I do plan on getting a lift done once we have completed our mods.

Last edited by speedy : 19th February 2011 at 13:55.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks