Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st January 2011, 08:37   #766
BHPian

re: Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post
I think you can get the Thar in Pune. Ask Silver Jubilee. I think they had a display car too...
No Cyrus, I went to the Silver Jubilee on last Saturday, they have only DI 4x2 model. They told me that they will call once they receives Thar CRDe 4x4 for TD however not sure about the date.

Thanks for reply.
Old 31st January 2011, 09:30   #767
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

why dont they consider plonking the Storm type Crde engine into the Invader and making a nice, comfy yet functional 4WD vehicle with a hard top - admittedly the invader is only a derivative of the Bolero but this variant as Im suggesting could be made a very good blend of functionality as well as comfort. It may also be true that the Invader's body design lends itself slightly more to some basic creature comforts as well as functionality.
Old 31st January 2011, 10:12   #768
BHPian

I do want to buy the Thar and give it to Mahindra customization, but you know what bothers me, New Car Launch | Indian Car Blog - Carazoo.com - this pikup has a jazzy interior!

I do hope the customization guys know what they are doing :(

--Addng image for clarity.--
Attached Thumbnails
Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)-mahindragenio12300x200.jpg  

Last edited by SubuS : 31st January 2011 at 10:26.
Old 31st January 2011, 10:13   #769
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
Oh congratulations Speedy!

what color?

Do post up loads pics and a detailed ownership review as well.

I have planned to get it in march.
Congrats Speedy and Navpreet!

I am still confused whether to buy Thar or not, perhaps once i get my hands on a test-drive vehicle, i can take a call.

Speedy: do post an initial ownership review for us.
Old 31st January 2011, 11:45   #770
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjbiju View Post
I am quite heartened by this news. I was looking forward to some videos of the Thar, especially while it was doing obstacles that required crawling kind of speed. Also of the Thar doing obstacles where off-roaders believe IFS would have been a big limitation.
I have seen the car perform and i know its capabilities. The problem here is of resistance and apprihensions by the jeepers. Its like when the computer first came out it took time to understand it and when you were used to it, suddenly the laptop came out. The old computer users resisted and wondered how a small carryiable more expensive wireless device would do the job of a big desktop. The same case here With the Thar.

The Crawling ratio of the Thar is different from the old jeeps, it is a faster crawl i believe, similar to the Fortuner. The Thar is a jeep at the end of the day with a more powerful engine. The Ifs spares would be more expensive than the Pata system used on the jeeps. So if your ok with any damage that might occour during an Otr you have nothing to worry about in an OTR. The Body damage costs are the same as any other jeep, Its a Mahindra afterall.

Quote:
We will be eagerly waiting for the first Thar ownership report on the forum once you get your Thar. I am still waiting for its launch in Pune.
I am not good at giving reports and all, but i would ask Tejas and Allan to do the needfull. I believe you can get one in Pune, but the dealers dont seem eager to push the car. The other thing you can do is get the car in Bombay and register it outside city limits. The costs i believe come the same as buying it in Pune. 6.60 lakhs on road.

Quote:
Oh congratulations Speedy!
Thank you.

Quote:
what color?
Rocky Beige.

Quote:
Do post up loads pics and a detailed ownership review as well.
I am not good with these reports but would as Tejas or Allan to do so.

Quote:
I have planned to get it in march.
Congratulations my friend. What colour?

Quote:
Are you planning to send it to Mahindra Customization?
No sir, Allan would be customizing the Thar.

Quote:
Edit:I just checked the Bangalore OTR thread.There is all but one pic of the Thar.Wonder why.No one is speaking of it either.Can anyone give a detailed review of how it did the OTR?
Exactly my point. I would reserve my comments on this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by somubj View Post
Congrats Speedy and Navpreet!

I am still confused whether to buy Thar or not, perhaps once i get my hands on a test-drive vehicle, i can take a call.

Speedy: do post an initial ownership review for us.
Thank you.

It depends on what you want to use it as Somubj. The Thar is very good in the city and for bad roads, It absorbs everything with ease. For hardcore offroading it is good too but if there is damage to the Ifs it is expensive compared to the leaf spring (pata). So i would say Thar can be treated as a daily driver just like a normal car but without the finish.

Like i mentioned twice earlier i am not good at reviews and reports but would as Tejas or Allan to do so. I believe Allan would start a Thread for the Thar.
Old 31st January 2011, 11:55   #771
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
I wonder why none of the Bangalore and some Hyderabad Offroaders at the event are talking about this. I believe someones MM550 also topled there.....
Quote:
....I am quite heartened by this news. I was looking forward to some videos of the Thar, especially while it was doing obstacles that required crawling kind of speed. Also of the Thar doing obstacles where off-roaders believe IFS would have been a big limitation....
Quote:
Edit:I just checked the Bangalore OTR thread.There is all but one pic of the Thar.Wonder why.No one is speaking of it either.Can anyone give a detailed review of how it did the OTR?....
I saw it doing a couple of obstacles on day 1 and also was a passenger in it for some time.

My observations:

It did parts of the trail but nothing extraordinary. There were wheel spins happening at several places and obstacles (for example: in the right rear tyre on the 1st obstacle). Did it do the trail effortlessly -- NOT at all.

Based on what I saw over 2 days, my conclusion is that the Thar can't hold a candle to the CJ3B's who were in a league of their own.

Infact, according to my observations, the well maintained 340's & 540's/550's did the trail more easily and effortlessly compared to the Thar.

The Thar that came to attend the OTR had removed the front bumper, rear bumper, foot steps, rear lights etc. So there you go...

And yes, on day 2, it DID NOT attempt the big boulder trail/path that led to a huge climb up the hill. I am sure that it would have climbed the hill without blinking for sure but would have been interesting to see how it did over boulders and also how it would have crawled back down with no ABC.

NOTE: SEVERAL people did not attempt the boulder laden path and the steep hill climb -- Thar was one of them.
Old 31st January 2011, 12:02   #772
Team-BHP Support

I observed Thar in few of the obstacles and it did show what it can and what it cannot. Its a good 4x4 IFS vehicle with great power and managed to clear the obstacles that i saw without much trouble.

This time with Vinod driving it was really smooth, he was being careful, the way an owner would be. IFS as usual was the only disadvantage i observed, but that was taken care by the abundance of power. Last rock phase they didn't climb, that would have been real test for the durability of IFS. Especially the approach where boulders were scattered around.

But i will not make a comment on it since both Vinod and Spike were running short of time and had to head to the airport, and broken down vehicle was the last thing they needed in their head. Especially since they came as participants and not as M&M show with recovery, assistance etc.

Khan was accurate in his observation, when he said 90% thingie.

EDIT: Not several vehicle, but only Thar + 1 scorpio and Gypsy which returned early and 1 550 which had brake issues? right ^^^

EDIT 2: Khan's reply was while i was replying and i think we both are talking the same thing in different language and 90% things is his reference in the original report.

Last edited by Jaggu : 31st January 2011 at 12:10.
Old 31st January 2011, 12:32   #773
Senior - BHPian

[quote=khan_sultan;2227022]I saw it doing a couple of obstacles on day 1 and also was a passenger in it for some time.

My observations:

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
It did parts of the trail but nothing extraordinary. There were wheel spins happening at several places and obstacles (for example: in the right rear tyre on the 1st obstacle). Did it do the trail effortlessly -- NOT at all.
Was she running on her HT shoes of MT ones Khan saab?. I am guessing stock shoes unlike the other jeeps present there.

Quote:
Based on what I saw over 2 days, my conclusion is that the Thar can't hold a candle to the CJ3B's who were in a league of their own.

Infact, according to my observations, the well maintained 340's & 540's/550's did the trail more easily and effortlessly compared to the Thar.
Like maybe what Jaggu has mentioned, the Company guys did not want to push it too hard to damage something. The easily and hard part would not qualify as the answer is simple it can do it too.

Quote:
The Thar that came to attend the OTR had removed the front bumper, rear bumper, foot steps, rear lights etc. So there you go...
Is this a crime or a bad thing. Many of the Jeeps i see in the pictures of Indian Otr's have modified bumpers, removed side steps and lights placed higher or removed. So why did they choose not to stick with the original ones?. Sir you have experience the damage first hand with the Review Thar in Lonavala. Precaution is better than cure.

Quote:
And yes, on day 2, it DID NOT attempt the big boulder trail/path that led to a huge climb up the hill. I am sure that it would have climbed the hill without blinking for sure but would have been interesting to see how it did over boulders and also how it would have crawled back down with no ABC.

NOTE: SEVERAL people did not attempt the boulder laden path and the steep hill climb -- Thar was one of them.
I think this would have to do more with the driver of the Thar than the jeep. Jaggu has mentioned something related to this.

Sir what is ABC?

So there you have the Thar was not the only one to not attempt it, the solid axel jeeps also stayed back. Why are fingers pointed at the Thars Ifs only for the boulder laden path.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
I observed Thar in few of the obstacles and it did show what it can and what it cannot. Its a good 4x4 IFS vehicle with great power and managed to clear the obstacles that i saw without much trouble.
Agreed every car has its limitations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaggu View Post
This time with Vinod driving it was really smooth, he was being careful, the way an owner would be. IFS as usual was the only disadvantage i observed, but that was taken care by the abundance of power. Last rock phase they didn't climb, that would have been real test for the durability of IFS. Especially the approach where boulders were scattered around.
Sir like Khan saab has mention the Thar was not alone in avoiding this obstacle. I also wonder how does the IFS become a disadvantage for the Thar?, you have mentioned that Vinod was being smooth and careful as some owners would be.

Quote:
But i will not make a comment on it since both Vinod and Spike were running short of time and had to head to the airport, and broken down vehicle was the last thing they needed in their head. Especially since they came as participants and not as M&M show with recovery, assistance etc.
Here you go, Maybe this was why the last boulder laden obstacle and the rock phase climb was avoided by them.

Khan saab and Jaggu, i dont mean any disrespect to your knowledge at all. I am only trying to understand things, so as to improve upon.

Last edited by speedy : 31st January 2011 at 12:40.
Old 31st January 2011, 12:36   #774
Distinguished - BHPian

ABC: Accelerator, brake and clutch.
Old 31st January 2011, 13:04   #775
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Sir like Khan saab has mention the Thar was not alone in avoiding this obstacle. I also wonder how does the IFS become a disadvantage for the Thar?, you have mentioned that Vinod was being smooth and careful as some owners would be.
====
Here you go, Maybe this was why the last boulder laden obstacle and the rock phase climb was avoided by them.
IFS disadvantage, because the wheels were losing traction more than compared to solid axles. Sometime its the front or sometimes its the rear, all related to articulation and stiffness issues of an IFS. And no its not due to tyre, coz there were people with very worn out street tyres who were having an easier time. If NDMS guys can do it, street tire should not be far behind.

The boulder part i was curious coz that is where the Thar would take maximum hit in its IFS. It was sheets and sheets of granite, lose and slippery. Downhill it would have been really tricky for any driver to control also, without engine braking. I was one way relieved that Thar was not there, coz i was radioing in constantly to the top, to ask people to ensure low gear, no clutch and foot ready for brake. That one was a tense situation for all of us, due to the incline, boulders and the sheer length of the climb/drop.
Old 31st January 2011, 13:16   #776
Team-BHP Support

Avalakonda trail needed massive amount of articulation. Let alone IFS, even soild axle vehicles that had compromised their articulation by oversized tyres struggled a lot. In fact, one Jeeper sold his 35 inch tyres in exchange for 31 inch tyres, even before he exited the trail. No, I am not joking.

Last edited by Samurai : 31st January 2011 at 13:17.
Old 31st January 2011, 13:28   #777
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
.... The easily and hard part would not qualify as the answer is simple it can do it too.
Sure. To give an analogy in layman terms, even sunny deol can dance but hrithik roshan makes it look effortless, class & almost a work of art.

That should give a perspective of the difference between the Thar & 3B/340.

Quote:
Is this a crime or a bad thing. Many of the Jeeps i see in the pictures of Indian Otr's have modified bumpers, removed side steps and lights placed higher or removed. So why did they choose not to stick with the original ones?. Sir you have experience the damage first hand with the Review Thar in Lonavala. Precaution is better than cure.
No. removing the bumpers & vulnerable bits is not a crime. I was just pointing it out explicitly so that people know about it. I hope pointing that out is not considered a crime

Quote:
...Sir what is ABC?
Accelerator, Brake & Clutch.

Quote:
.... Thar was not the only one to not attempt it, the solid axel jeeps also stayed back. Why are fingers pointed at the Thars Ifs only for the boulder laden path.
No one is pointing fingers here. This is a Thar review so it is being mentioned here that the Thar did NOT attempt that obstacle. It has been mentioned that few other vehicles also did not attempt the climb, so that it doesn't look like that only the Thar did not attempt the climb.
If you read carefully, I have also mentioned that I had NO DOUBT in it's capability to climb the hill. But I don't know how it would have traversed the boulders & the descent downhill with no ABC. Since it did not, it remains an unknown thingy.

Quote:
..Khan saab and Jaggu, i dont mean any disrespect to your knowledge at all. I am only trying to understand things, so as to improve upon.
I know. I hope you got some more perspectives to what has been mentioned above.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 31st January 2011 at 13:30.
Old 31st January 2011, 13:58   #778
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
IFS disadvantage, because the wheels were losing traction more than compared to solid axles. Sometime its the front or sometimes its the rear, all related to articulation and stiffness issues of an IFS. And no its not due to tyre, coz there were people with very worn out street tyres who were having an easier time. If NDMS guys can do it, street tire should not be far behind.
Yes Jaggu, i have noticed the Thar does have almost Zero like articulation in the front due to the IFS, the rear however compensates for this. I have seen it in pictures of the S.A. pictures of the car. The Thar tyres when in Mud just become like slick tyres with zero grip, that when you have to rely completely on the power to pull u through.

Quote:
The boulder part i was curious coz that is where the Thar would take maximum hit in its IFS. It was sheets and sheets of granite, lose and slippery. Downhill it would have been really tricky for any driver to control also, without engine braking. I was one way relieved that Thar was not there, coz i was radioing in constantly to the top, to ask people to ensure low gear, no clutch and foot ready for brake. That one was a tense situation for all of us, due to the incline, boulders and the sheer length of the climb/drop.
Sir was this on flat ground before the climb?. I am sure the granite laden floor would not damage the IFS. The slipery climb and the street tyres would be a bad combination. The driver would have to solely rely on the engines power again to pull him through.

Quote:
I know. I hope you got some more perspectives to what has been mentioned above.
Thank you Khan saab, learning as i go along.
Old 31st January 2011, 14:07   #779
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

No sir, Allan would be customizing the Thar.

It would really be nice if the Sir is removed.

Ah i have seen some of allan's works and i would really like to see how he does this one too.

when do you plan to execute the modifications.

It would be nice to see the differences in concept,quality and cost of the modifications.

Do you also plan to make some changes to the interior?

Hoping to see a really well turned out Thar the modifications of which would last the lifetime.
Old 31st January 2011, 14:12   #780
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Avalakonda trail needed massive amount of articulation. Let alone IFS, even soild axle vehicles that had compromised their articulation by oversized tyres struggled a lot. In fact, one Jeeper sold his 35 inch tyres in exchange for 31 inch tyres, even before he exited the trail. No, I am not joking.
An honest confession

Quote:
Jaggu what has the rear wheels loosing traction to do with IFS? Rear is still Live Solid Axle, or did I miss something here?

Spike

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks