Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th January 2011, 16:48   #676
BHPian

re: Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubuS View Post
Some other set variants:

Kindly note the costs for the 2 sets:
===============
The total cost for Set – 2 is Rs. 1,75,000 /- + 12.5% tax

what will the final OTR price be after these addition!!?? 8-9 lacs on road??. For the Thar? seems too steep to be practicle considering the build quality issues

Last edited by Jaggu : 24th January 2011 at 16:52. Reason: Please avoid Quoting entire large posts for short reply. Thanks
Old 24th January 2011, 17:14   #677
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mafia View Post
what will the final OTR price be after these addition!!?? 8-9 lacs on road??. For the Thar? seems too steep to be practicle considering the build quality issues
Naahhh! The stock Thar will be 7.3L in Bangalore, add 4L, it will be 11.3L only. Now further add the cost of sending it to Mumbai and back.
Old 24th January 2011, 17:21   #678
BHPian

Remember, they have not built a single hard top that is on the road - and they are quoting a price of 2.5L for an experimental one.

Their 1.75L package is pretty decent IMO - I would get that done with M&M and the HT with someone outside, who can do it for 1L or so.
Old 24th January 2011, 19:49   #679
BHPian

Went to see Thar today, here is the exact cost break-up: Ex-Showroom price - 600984, Road Tax - 92552, Insurance - 24558, Reg charges - 4000, Standard fitments - 53952, total: 776046.

Thar comes with no accessories, no roll cage and no bull bar. Cost of standard fitments include these two, fog lamps, and something else that the sales rep was not aware of.

There was no demo vehicle, we saw one which was ordered by a customer (it was being treated like the test vehicle, everyone who was there to see thar was checking this one - some even tried a 20 ft drive :-), poor owner, he doesn't know what's happening of his car.)

OT: also checked scorpio, top end model, pathetic leg space and poorly fitting plastic interiors, Xylo was much better in terms of comfort and leg space, heck even Thar had better leg room for the driver and co-passenger and better gap between steering and legs.

Surprised to know that the cost of thar includes nothing - not even the roll-cage!

Also, after looking the interior finish of scorpio, i could finally understand why Thar had nothing better to offer.

Thar comes with a basic soft-top, which looks really ugly, plain canvas i guess. Floor carpet is not uniform (though most of the off roaders will remove it) and jet black in color (i agree that there is no dust concern here :-p), Mahindra could have used normal rubber carpet and provided something else instead - like a bull bar?.

Rest everything was exactly similar to what was mentioned in the review on the first page. Engine was not noisy at all - neat engine bay.

Didn't see rust anywhere. We could see welding joints on the body - bad surface finish, seemed like there were some dents on the doors.

Dashboard plastic was pathetic in quality, as if someone had rubbed it with sandpaper - most of the buyers will end up getting it painted.

4x4 lever was not accessible because your hand touches the cd-player compartment. I mean there wasn't enough room to move the lever, forget the hand, on "N", the lever kissed the plastic surface of the player box. (well, the box is removable :-))

Seats were comfortable, didn't notice the steering off place. I mean i didn't feel any inconvenience because of that.

Rear door latch was working fine. Standard tires are Duelers, no wheel covers.

The one that i saw was not inclined towards the front.

Lots of sharp edges - "keep kids away".

That's all i can recall of. No pics, not required since all pics are there on page 1 and in better resolution than what i could have taken using my cell-phone :-).

Last edited by somubj : 24th January 2011 at 19:53. Reason: Spelling mistakes
Old 24th January 2011, 21:10   #680
BHPian

So if we sum up the whole review it comes to that Thar is no lifestyle vehicle but a jeep with improved technology and to make Thar a lifestyle vehicle it will cost same as a brand new Scorpio. Now M&M please tell us what innovative, positive, logical thinking has been implied here. Isn't the new Mahindra Rise boasting about challenging conventional thinking within the Mahindra walls, and innovatively use all its resources to drive positive changes, or by just delivering old wine in new bottle will seriously justify your claims about a product which is no where near a lifestyle product. Honestly disappointing.
Old 25th January 2011, 02:58   #681
BHPian

Also, dealer informed me that only 2 Thar Crde's have been booked and delivered through them so far. Third one was what i saw at the showroom.

Also, there is no offer from the dealer on Thar because it is a new product.

PS: i am still thinking of buying one, but with new discoveries (additional 54k for required stuff which is missing from the stock car) its getting tougher to convince my better half :-(.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
Is it possible to get a quote only for the AC, on the CRDe version?
25k for the AC. Price quoted by the dealer.

But again: most of the sales guys are not aware of the workshop rate cards, so i would not trust what they say.

Last edited by mobike008 : 25th January 2011 at 11:13. Reason: back to back posts. Please wait for 20 mins before posting or use EDIT button
Old 25th January 2011, 08:38   #682
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by somubj View Post
25k for the AC. Price quoted by the dealer.

But again: most of the sales guys are not aware of the workshop rate cards, so i would not trust what they say.
Not bad. Can you specify whether this quote is for MDI version, or for the CRDe version? Also, which workshop, since the dealers over here feign ignorance?
Old 25th January 2011, 09:47   #683
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Went to see Thar today, here is the exact cost break-up: Ex-Showroom price - 600984, Road Tax - 92552, Insurance - 24558, Reg charges - 4000, Standard fitments - 53952, total: 776046.

Thar comes with no accessories, no roll cage and no bull bar. Cost of standard fitments include these two, fog lamps, and something else that the sales rep was not aware of.
53K for standard fitments is a lot if the roll bar is not included? Maybe the fog lamp cover is gold plated? If Mahindra is serious about selling this *Lifestyle* vehicle, they better train these bozos at the dealership to give accurate information. At 53K I feel the roll bar is included but bozo doesn't know the details.

Quote:
OT: also checked scorpio, top end model, pathetic leg space and poorly fitting plastic interiors, Xylo was much better in terms of comfort and leg space, heck even Thar had better leg room for the driver and co-passenger and better gap between steering and legs.
Since I own a Scorpio 4WD and MM540 4WD, I can tell you that the MM540 has much better seating ergonomics than than the Scorpio. The OEM MM540 seats are crap, but once you put nice buckets the positioning of the seat, steering, rearview mirror etc are much better than the scorpio. I would think the same applies to the Thar too..
Old 25th January 2011, 10:09   #684
Senior - BHPian

so whats the latest count of the Thar's leaving the showrooms?

has it crossed the 100 unit mark? (first production batch)!
Old 25th January 2011, 11:09   #685
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
53K for standard fitments is a lot if the roll bar is not included? Maybe the
it includes roll bar.

All details are from Shireesh motors located on Hosur road.
Old 25th January 2011, 13:49   #686
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
it includes roll bar.

All details are from Shireesh motors located on Hosur road.
Sorry, I misread your post.

So, basically Thar with Softtop, Bull Bar, lights, roll cage is 7.75 in Bangalore without.

With AC & HT it will be priced in the 8.75L range on the road in Bangalore.
Old 25th January 2011, 14:26   #687
Team-BHP Support

Finally i have received an email confirming the test drive. Read as below:

Quote:
Thank you for your interest in the Mahindra Thar. We are overwhelmed by the test drive requests received from all over the country. We know you are anxious to get behind the wheel and we assure you that your test drive will be scheduled by mid-February. We trust that true 4x4 enthusiasts, like you, will be nothing short of blown away.
Old 25th January 2011, 14:28   #688
Senior - BHPian

THAR + Customization = 10-11 lakhs approx = Decent world war II style macho 4x4 Lifestyle vehicle.
Stock Scorpio/ Safari = 11 - 13 lakhs = Decent all in one factory fitted kit, lifestyle vehicle with some degree of modern exteriors.

Take your pick.

The THAR in its current avatar makes sense only if you want to use it stock in your farm/rural transport/offroading weekend. So you buy it and dont spend a penny on it while trying to make the best of all the ACCESSORIES that Mahindra has given in the stock vehicle. Accessories = soft top + dashboard with a glovebox without a lock + floormats + free wind in your hair experience.

Goodluck Guddu.
Old 25th January 2011, 14:34   #689
BHPian

@Jay: Thar at 11 lakhs will be a definite WIN over stock 11L scorpio mainly because of,

4x4
Much better (leather) seating at least for 3 people. I hate Scorp middle / baby rows and ambivalent towards front seats.
(Some say) smoother drive.
smaller/peppy vehicle.
Uniqueness quotient (if it matters)
relatively cheaper parts
custom audio

No SUV in 10L range is good off the bat.
Old 25th January 2011, 14:38   #690
Senior - BHPian

Agreed - but no warranty on customization.
With the Scorpio/Safari you get warranty on the entire vehicle excluding tires for about 4 years backed up with a nationwide service network.
What happens to your warranty after you customize.
I know one thing for a fact. For all Indian vehicles, a good warranty cover is highly essential, this includes Maruti & the likes.

Also, if all the stuff being customised was to be given my Mahindra factory fitted, would it still cost 10-11 lakhs? or lesser??
And It would have a Mahindra warranty too.

Last edited by jaysmokesleaves : 25th January 2011 at 14:40.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks