Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th April 2011, 22:09   #1426
Senior - BHPian

re: Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)

But Mr. Somubj you said an increase of 50 put you off.I see a price of 6.22 ex showroom.So where has mahindra increased the price by 50K? You said specifically that you cancelled the booking on coming to know that Mahindra had increased the price of the Thar by 50K.So where is the 50K increase?
Old 11th April 2011, 23:26   #1427
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Mr.gthang - In any case, many of you are still of the opinion that your "friendly neighbourhood spiderman" (mechanic) does a better job and we are all useless fellows. Oh come on now, there is a limit to everything. I earnestly request you to change your opinion about us. Come to Nasik and see what all we go through. It is very easy to make statements.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Dear Mr.gthang - please read my exact words, which are - "in any case, many of "you" are still of the opinion that -----". I think that I have made myself very clear. Therefore, your statement in your long post reading "instead of like "yourself comparing M&M" to the neighbourhood workshop" is absolutely incorrect. Therefore, I request you to please refrain from making such comments, they achieve absolutely nothing and wastes everybody's reading time. In my opinion, this topic is closed.

You are always welcome to visit Nasik.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 11th April 2011, 23:51   #1428
Distinguished - BHPian

I think the Gypsy is going to get a new lease of life this year. When compared to the THAR, it does make tremendous sense. Suddenly, Jaggu's comparison of the two vehicles over on his thread seems to be something I want to read a couple of times.
Old 11th April 2011, 23:59   #1429
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthang View Post

Instead of like yourself comparing M&M to the neighborhood workshop, I tried comparing you to some of the Global brands. Why?
Global brands, yes they will when they are manufacturing for export market. for indian market M&M is competing with Mayapuri, because M&M thinks its the easy way to make money when people are spending their time and lakhs of their money for Mayapuri made JEEPs, Why can't M&M do the same?
With this JEEP thing, right from the mechanics to owners, have become greedy in JEEP business. I never thought even a well established and a popular Manufacturer would also get into such business.

Quote:
Originally Posted by somubj View Post

The sales rep started with some justifications like Mahindra has rectified some design flaws so it has increased the price, then he went to the new budget aspect.

What i really couldn't understand is why is the price hike being transfered to the customers, considering that Thar was overpriced to the brim, any addition to it will not be good.
The extra pricing is not to disappoint those who already bought the THAR with flaws. This is the attitude of M&M not willing to agree it as flaws, rather they call it as improvements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
But Mr. Somubj you said an increase of 50 put you off.I see a price of 6.22 ex showroom.So where has mahindra increased the price by 50K? You said specifically that you cancelled the booking on coming to know that Mahindra had increased the price of the Thar by 50K.So where is the 50K increase?
ok, lets assume its only 20k. but why do you want to pay that extra money from your pocket to fix the flaws. Say if any OEM recalls its vehicles, do they charge you for that?
star_aqua is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2011, 13:46   #1430
Senior - BHPian

What were the design flaws that were rectified, somubj?
Old 12th April 2011, 14:03   #1431
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The sales rep started with some justifications like Mahindra has rectified some design flaws so it has increased the price, then he went to the new budget aspect.
Dear Mr.Sombuj - kindly give me details of the dealership and if possible, the name of the sales representative who interacted with you. In any case his comments are incorrect. Will anybody having any sense ever make comments like that? . We teamBHPians know much better, isn't it? I await the information.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 12th April 2011, 15:50   #1432
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthang View Post
I had stopped posting on this thread many many pages ago realizing that this was just either for fanboys or jingoistic self praising, but was following it because it is more entertaining than the "Official Joke thread" at times.

One of the best laughs was the canopy description itself, with the "Z" axis adjustments . Now, I might not be an engineering degree topper like some members, but have been around the block a few times to know what works and what does not.

Have a look at the "Z" axis adjusters. Holes drilled into a painted body, at a location where moisture and rain water have one of the highest possibility of settling, and not even a rubber grommet used to prevent rusting. Well, I just cant compete with engineering skills of that level. So, I figured its best to keep quiet and let minds faster than supercomputers do all the R&D, and sit back and enjoy the show.

Waiting for the A/C fitment episode to start now.

P.S. Disclaimer: If holes are drilled before painting, and I misjudged by looking at this picture alone, I apologize in advance. But looking at the rest of the workmanship, I have my doubts.
Hi Gthang,

Its a JEEP Thing .

The Z-Axis "beading was introduced in the 1998c, after 12years they slotted the mounting holes and made it adjustable.

I wouldn't mind, if they were drilled into the body, I just hope, that the bolt is being held by a nut and not the thread tap in the body.

Regards,

Arka

PS - It took them 1985 to 1998 to realize that the MM540 Soft-Top needed stabilization in the Z-Axis, maybe due to CAD and other advancements.

Last edited by ex670c : 12th April 2011 at 16:05.
Old 12th April 2011, 16:31   #1433

THE ON ROAD PRICE OF THE THAR IN DELHI HAS INDEED GONE UP BY ABOUT 30K-35K(EX SHOWROOM PRICE INCREASE OF ABOUT 18K) THE REST IS ROAD TAX INCREASE DUE TO THE 6 Lacs+ price(which was 5.99 earlier.). The sad part is that it is certainly not because of any Vehicle improvement or Ver.2 by M&M (has also been confirmed by Mr.Dhabhar),
It is due to the rise in "input material" cost.So sad that "Thar" is still "far" from our reach.

Whereas, the surprise bit is that Delhi dealers have been calling me up for a test drive requested in December and I promptly refused as I managed to get a drive in March on a to be delivered jeep.
Old 12th April 2011, 16:53   #1434
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by star_aqua View Post
ok, lets assume its only 20k. but why do you want to pay that extra money from your pocket to fix the flaws. Say if any OEM recalls its vehicles, do they charge you for that?
I had some 7.1 in mind as the old price which was after getting insurance from outside Mahindra, and new price was 7.47 i guess. Again, agreeing to star_aqua, for no reasons did this vehicle demand a price hike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by discoverwild View Post
What were the design flaws that were rectified, somubj?
The sales rep quoted flaws with door latches esp the rear door, interior finish and one more which i cannot recall of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Mr.Sombuj - kindly give me details of the dealership and if possible, the name of the sales representative who interacted with you. In any case his comments are incorrect. Will anybody having any sense ever make comments like that? We teamBHPians know much better, isn't it? I await the information.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Your sales rep was very confident about his comments, confident enough to call me again today with the same sale pitch.

Dealer: shireesh auto, hosur road, Bangalore. I will not take any rep names but i guess you can figure it out.

Your sales reps said that mahindra is selling thar as a bare bone vehicle so that buyers can customize it as per their needs; But he had no answer when i questioned him on the warranty getting void because of any customization done on the vehicle.

BTW.. IFS is not covered under warranty if you get the tryres upgraged to some other size even through M&M.
Old 12th April 2011, 17:01   #1435
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

gthang!
you've got a very good sense of humour and a nice way of expressing yourself. I thoroughly enjoyed reading your posts!

[quote=gthang;2310093]WARNING: LONG POST.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 12th April 2011 at 17:02.
Old 12th April 2011, 21:00   #1436
BHPian

Quote:
The sales rep quoted flaws with door latches esp the rear door, interior finish and one more which i cannot recall of.
Having driven the (first gen ) Thar for close to 2000 kms, I can tell you that I have never had problems with closing the rear door. I use it atleast half a dozen times daily. Not just me, even wifey has not complained yet.

Though opening the rear door inside latch needs some mastering, I see that as a minor security feature. Not everyone can open it without being noticed and some good struggle.

Regards,
Old 12th April 2011, 21:24   #1437
Team-BHP Support

Hey BlackRaven why dont you start recording a long term report, am serious it would really help clear lot of doubts about Thar in REAL life. Humble request.
Old 13th April 2011, 00:51   #1438
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Hey BlackRaven why dont you start recording a long term report, am serious it would really help clear lot of doubts about Thar in REAL life. Humble request.
It is just about a month now and I thought I will complete the first service and pen my experiences, but now that we have assembly line, let me get started there this weekend
Old 13th April 2011, 07:11   #1439
BHPian

@ BlackRaven , eagerly looking forward to see your report !
Quite a few will be here to know first hand details .
cheers !
Old 13th April 2011, 08:26   #1440
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by slalom View Post
@ BlackRaven , eagerly looking forward to see your report! Quite a few will be here to know first hand details.
cheers !
Dear Slalom and all - including me! . This is the best thing that can ever happen to the project and to the product because only good will come out of it.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks