Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th March 2011, 16:16   #1336

re: Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team:

Please take the time to use proper punctuation as per Team-BHP rules. Avoid...typing...like...this. Thanks.
We need your co-operation to maintain the overall quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further.

My Chances of buying a thar are only getting dimmer and dimmer, interiors?? ..ok to an extent , suspensions??...thats some thing to think of .. and coolant and engine oil ???..this is worrying me ...looks like I must hold on to my Scorp 2.6 crde like we guys normally do to our favorite pair old denims. My scorp after running allover india in worst of conditions and temp in excess of 42 degrees in MP and at speeds in excess of 120kph, laden with 5 pax and luggage with 24 hours plus non stop driving in most of my trips ..and above all having clocked a lac of kms on the odo still rocks and is still better than the mhawk ..i guess 2.6 is the best ever ...but what is with Thar ?????...the jeep I waited since my childhood with the current configuration of a fast engine and IfS etc is just not getting right ..why??

Last edited by Mpower : 30th March 2011 at 20:37. Reason: Please see the post. Thanks.
Old 30th March 2011, 17:14   #1337
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by star_aqua View Post
say if i went over small hump on one side, when front passes thru, the vehicle lifts and when rear passes thru it wont.
Perfectly quoted ... i interpreted it as a nudge because of excess feedback from the suspensions.

Last edited by somubj : 30th March 2011 at 17:15. Reason: Sp correction.
Old 30th March 2011, 20:01   #1338
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vishal Rajan View Post
My Chances of buying a thar are only getting dimmer and dimmer, interiors?? ..ok to an extent , suspensions??...thats some thing to think of .. and coolant and engine oil ???..this is worrying me ...looks like I must hold on to my Scorp 2.6 crde like we guys normally do to our favorite pair old denims. My scorp after running allover india in worst of conditions and temp in excess of 42 degrees in MP and at speeds in excess of 120kph, laden with 5 pax and luggage with 24 hours plus non stop driving in most of my trips ..and above all having clocked a lac of kms on the odo still rocks and is still better than the mhawk ..i guess 2.6 is the best ever ...but what is with Thar ?????...the jeep I waited since my childhood with the current configuration of a fast engine and IfS etc is just not getting right ..why??
Dear Vishal Rajan - I would like to mention here once again that the Thar CRDe is in effect a Scorpio in disguise. Without meaning to question anybody's comments or intentions, I wonder, if your Scorpio can run 100000 kms without batting an eyelid, what's to prevent the Thar CRDe from doing the same? The engine is the same as yours except for reduced capacity by 100 cc, that too for non-technical reasons (taxation in various export countries). Did water and oil splash all over the place in your Scorpio? Of couse it did not. Then it will not do so in Thar also. It is as simple as that. Period. As far as suspension is concerned, I am copying and pasting a customer verbatim here - "the stability is very good and I learnt it the hard way. Had to swerve suddenly quite a bit to the right to avoid some obstacle on the road. It went where I wanted it to and came right back when counter-clocked". I request you to read my very good TeamBHPian friend Gogi's (V16) comments on the handling of the vehicle where he has said that I drove the Thar as if I was an 18 year old college kid and if I remember correctly, he also mentioned that it "ate" some Skodas for breakfast! . A performance tuned imported Honda Civic could not keep up. You can also read post number 1 of the "Thar She Blows" thread where another of my very good TeamBHPian friend Deepak (DKG) has also made his comments when he drove it in the Jubilee Hills area of Hyderabad. .

There are umpteen reasons for people making comments one way or the other. I have no intention of endorsing or refuting anything. If I start making a list of why a vehicle handles the way it does, believe you me, it will be a very long list. Being a vehicle test engineer myself, it is my job to analyze these things. Vehicle Dynamics is a very interesting but also an extremely big subject. I therefore request you to decide for yourself.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2011, 22:06   #1339
Senior - BHPian

We in India have a very weird habit.We believe the negativity without seeing it or experiencing it and for anything positive we need to see it to believe it.It should be the same in both cases.

If people say there are these many issues then first try to see it yourself and then try to find out what was the cause of the issue.

My tata safari had oil all over the engine bay on its second day because of a loose banjo bolt on the power steering assembly.Tightened it up and not a speck for the last 80K Kms.

So lets find out what the reason is.

My honda civic was tilted to one side by 12 mm.I made an issue of it.They changed the suspension and it turns out that all honda cars are tilted to the right by 7-12 mm.I am talking brand new accords and crv's in the showroom.

So you need to see the reason and be rational with your approach and then see if the vehicle is deserving or not.Just believing comments by people you have never seen on an open public forum is not the correct approach to buying a vehicle.What might be useless to another person might be perfect fit for you!
Old 30th March 2011, 22:25   #1340
BHPian

Hi all,

Day before yesterday i faced similar problems on my THAR, "Check engine" light came up all of a sudden and the vehicle stopped . Tried starting it, it din't. I was on a small inclination( Near Sujatha theater - people from bangalore will be knowing the place), i went backwards in neutral, once i was on the flat road,i tried stating it again, the vehicle started, immediately i rushed to the petrol pump and filled fuel and no problems after that.
Old 30th March 2011, 23:55   #1341
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vishal Rajan View Post

Please don't compare it with Scorpio 2.6 Crde. THAR is a half baked product and there is a huge difference in the quality. lot of R&D and loads of testing has been done for scorpio. its a complete product. For THAR you will be testing it at your own expense. There are only few THARs but not a single one without any issues.

Its a 4wd vehicle which comes with a DUMMY 4WD indicator on the dash. believe me when i first drove the THAR for few kms, it was in 4wd. I realized it only when i took a U turn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pain_in_U View Post
Hi all,

Day before yesterday i faced similar problems on my THAR, "Check engine" light came up all of a sudden and the vehicle stopped . Tried starting it, it din't. I was on a small inclination( Near Sujatha theater - people from bangalore will be knowing the place), i went backwards in neutral, once i was on the flat road,i tried stating it again, the vehicle started, immediately i rushed to the petrol pump and filled fuel and no problems after that.
Hi, it will show up again after few more kms(>50 or >100kms). it seems to be a design failure in the fuel system.
Old 31st March 2011, 16:40   #1342
BHPian

Folks,

Have been driving my Red Thar for about 2 weeks now. There have been tons of discussions around its interiors, exteriors, etc. My take is simple. it delivers on its claim to be a good driving machine, off and on road. Initally it was throwing me around a little even in the driver's seat on speedbreakers, but guess that was due to high tyre pressure. Now after 2 weeks of running, its settled down quite a bit.

Have driven it at 130kmph twice in the last 2 days and it has been stable over 1.5-2kms at that speed. a couple of fast cars were trying to overtake me, but were left surprised! Cruising at 110-120kmph is a breeze in this machine. Do miss the AC, but guess its on its way soon as there are tons of requests.

Overall as of now, I am not highly disappointed with anything and getting to like it more and more everyday. Having been driving my Scorpio mHawk for 3 yrs now (had a 2.6 Vlx before that) and my Honda VTEC Type II for 8 yrs, I had to reset a lot of expectatons on various aspects of an automobile since i never owned a Jeep before. Squeaks were not heard by me before on my machines and this was something weird to get used to.

End of the day, it seems to be fine as of now. shall keep sharing any experience that I feel is worthwhile. Happy to be a Jeeper.

Cheers!

Last edited by bblost : 31st March 2011 at 21:40. Reason: Extra Smiley deleted. Please refer forum rules. No more than 2 per post allowed. Thanks.
Tha'Red is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2011, 21:38   #1343
Senior - BHPian

2 confirmed Thars around my town. After @Janjua's Thar which I haven't seen it yet on road, saw a black Thar today in Mohali. I can only say WOW, it looked awesome in Black colour. Any one from here?
Old 1st April 2011, 13:03   #1344
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinayvtec View Post
But my serious suggestion for all the Thar owners, keep a check on the engine bay regularly you may find oil & coolant spilled.
That is not the case in the Thar or in my car atleast.

Quote:
Could you please point out where exactly the oil was leaking from? i suspect it was same with Abhishek's THAR where the water mixed up with the engine oil.
My car was not leaking anything. We were wading through water and the exhaust sucked in the water, this caused the oil and water to mix.

Quote:
Spike, i drove it in munnar ghat roads. when taking turns, it was something different to any other cars. at least i would be able to guess how it behaves in other cars while taking turns, but with this one i couldn't. initially i thought it should behave like a scorpio, but no it was different. why i felt the front is rigid because vehicle orientation (east-west) was totally based on the front wheels. say if i went over small hump on one side, when front passes thru, the vehicle lifts and when rear passes thru it wont.
PLease dont compare the Thar to a Scorpio, bith cars are very different. The Thar is very light with the steering and even changing lanes at high speeds needs one to be on his toes. I have not noticed the lifting part with the front susension in my car and trust me i like taking her up open stairs in the office compound .

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Did water and oil splash all over the place in your Scorpio? Of couse it did not. Then it will not do so in Thar also. It is as simple as that. Period.
Sir in the Thar it would not splash, it would just mix to give you a white thick liquid. Simple as that.

Quote:
As far as suspension is concerned, I am copying and pasting a customer verbatim here - "the stability is very good and I learnt it the hard way. Had to swerve suddenly quite a bit to the right to avoid some obstacle on the road. It went where I wanted it to and came right back when counter-clocked". I request you to read my very good TeamBHPian friend Gogi's (V16) comments on the handling of the vehicle where he has said that I drove the Thar as if I was an 18 year old college kid and if I remember correctly, he also mentioned that it "ate" some Skodas for breakfast! . A performance tuned imported Honda Civic could not keep up. You can also read post number 1 of the "Thar She Blows" thread where another of my very good TeamBHPian friend Deepak (DKG) has also made his comments when he drove it in the Jubilee Hills area of Hyderabad. .
If the person swerved at 40 or 60 kmph then she is stable anything above this the rear slides and the steering being too sensitive could cause a lot of damage. I would not recommend anyone not experienced enough to try this.
Sir the car does make you feel like a college kid who wanted to buy a hassle free jeep and there is no doubt about it. I am one of them. Eating Skoda's and a performance tuned imported honda civic for breakfast is something i find hard to digest. Either they were not interested or were friends sticking around. The Thar has a good grunt but not to the extents of head to head competitions, my auto box corrola would take it out.
Sir here again with all respects to DKG and his knowledge, but driving on the roads of Jubilee hills or on the stoney terrain that he has taken the Thar is childs play for the car. I have never driven a jeep before and i did stuff with it, so with his experience he can do lots more. Its nothing to gloat about.

The whole idea is personal. If one person likes or dislikes it or says something good or bad, please do not taking it as the holy grail. Get a feel for yourselves too. My car has run around 500kms under my hand and the engine is opened up, but yet i do not blame the car but some design aspects which should have been looked into.
Old 1st April 2011, 13:48   #1345
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post

If the person swerved at 40 or 60 kmph then she is stable anything above this the rear slides and the steering being too sensitive could cause a lot of damage. I would not recommend anyone not experienced enough to try this.
i had not commented regarding this because i had my own doubts. as i told when i first drove the THAR, it was in 4H. when i realised that and went back to owner and told him it was in 4wd. he said yes he knew it. the reason he told me was exactly the same what you said. he said, it became better after switching to 4wd. somehow i couldn't take it, told him it is not recommended and i did not drive more than 40kmph to experience what he said, as it was limping.
Old 1st April 2011, 14:59   #1346
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randhawa View Post
2 confirmed Thars around my town. After @Janjua's Thar which I haven't seen it yet on road, saw a black Thar today in Mohali. I can only say WOW, it looked awesome in Black colour. Any one from here?
There are quite a few,
I have been noticing one,quite often,and that was on road,the next day it was launched,i think its grey,i have seen it only in dark,so not sure about the color,and yeah,it is without the soft top.
Old 1st April 2011, 23:15   #1347
Senior - BHPian

im visiting this thread regularly but hardly posting any comment, i guess im too lazy to get into arguments for or against Thar.

anyway, i would like to know the number of Thars sold in india, just want to know if the first production lot has been sold!

also i would like to know the difference between Thars for india and for exports!

Old 1st April 2011, 23:41   #1348
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
There are quite a few,
I have been noticing one,quite often,and that was on road,the next day it was launched,i think its grey,i have seen it only in dark,so not sure about the color,and yeah,it is without the soft top.
I think it will be safe to say we have at leat 5 Thars in tri-city so far then. Figures are not too promising and might get better in near future.
Old 2nd April 2011, 15:07   #1349

Quote:
Dear Vishal Rajan - I would like to mention here once again that the Thar CRDe is in effect a Scorpio in disguise. Without meaning to question anybody's comments or intentions, I wonder, if your Scorpio can run 100000 kms without batting an eyelid, what's to prevent the Thar CRDe from doing the same? The engine is the same as yours except for reduced capacity by 100 cc, that too for non-technical reasons (taxation in various export countries). Did water and oil splash all over the place in your Scorpio? Of couse it did not. Then it will not do so in Thar also. It is as simple as that. Period. As far as suspension is concerned, I am copying and pasting a customer verbatim here - "the stability is very good and I learnt it the hard way. Had to swerve suddenly quite a bit to the right to avoid some obstacle on the road. It went where I wanted it to and came right back when counter-clocked". I request you to read my very good TeamBHPian friend Gogi's (V16) comments on the handling of the vehicle where he has said that I drove the Thar as if I was an 18 year old college kid and if I remember correctly, he also mentioned that it "ate" some Skodas for breakfast! . A performance tuned imported Honda Civic could not keep up. You can also read post number 1 of the "Thar She Blows" thread where another of my very good TeamBHPian friend Deepak (DKG) has also made his comments when he drove it in the Jubilee Hills area of Hyderabad. .

There are umpteen reasons for people making comments one way or the other. I have no intention of endorsing or refuting anything. If I start making a list of why a vehicle handles the way it does, believe you me, it will be a very long list. Being a vehicle test engineer myself, it is my job to analyze these things. Vehicle Dynamics is a very interesting but also an extremely big subject. I therefore request you to decide for yourself.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
HI Behram,

your passion says it all and there can be no verdict better than yours for that matter as I believe, you by now know fo evey single bolt in a Thar.

I ve been following Thar and esp you from the embryonic stages of its development and needless to say , I love jeeps since my childhood and esp this look .Speed and suspensions kept me off them .Well this one can cruise at 130 plus kms without a groan so full marks for it , this one has IFS , so it surely has a great a great ride and handling. I suppose better than the Scorp so again full marks. I drove the jeep recently with my son at a construction site climbed the those mudhills on 4h and 4L as well did the crawl etc .but I could not take it on the tarmac as it did not have number plates. also let me tell you , this is apt for a 6ft 3 inch height of mine with generous leg room full marks here again ..never the less I am going for the Thar. It was just a concern that how could you guys go wrong and esp post having owned a scorp.
I have alraedy had a meeting with nanda a nd the day my thar arrives it going to be one of its kind

I just need 2 answers Mr BD whre is the clutch sleeve cylinder situated , inside the gearbox like Mhawk or outside like CRDE?

Does the vehicle actually have a top speed of 150 kph per hour like the scorp and as per your claim on webcast of Thar launch?

The engine is slightly slanting inwards , at least it looked like instead of being paralell to the ground , and so is the steering offset a bit .why so?

Trust me negative comments do not have any effect on me unless I experience them . t took me 4 yrs to actually buy a scorp as I was test driving every variant .finally crde 2.6 the W that you guys call was the one and still is the best.. so Thar is the same engine block is for keeps

Regards
Vishal Rajan
Old 2nd April 2011, 18:19   #1350
Senior - BHPian

Saw the Thar CRDe at Bremen Chowk, Pune today at around 11:30 a.m. Has this been launched in Pune now?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks