Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th March 2011, 20:34   #1276
Senior - BHPian

re: Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Cannot figure that out.
I have yet to see such a valve in our vehicles.
Hi,
The space above the fuel has both air and vapour. And the pressure exerted is the sum of their partial pressures. With a volatile fluid, the decrease in pressure would not be as fast as if we were pumping out water. Even a very slight air leak would therefore be adequate.

However, with tightening evaporative emissions, even that leak is not tolerated. AFAIK, in a modern car, all venting is done through the carbon canister. In fact the vents (valves) are actively controlled by the ECU. A modern petrol does not have a vent in the filler cap.

I don't know the case with diesels.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 16th March 2011, 00:22   #1277
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackRaven View Post
so for Thar, as a preventive mechanism, can we say it is safer to fill up when below half way mark?
Keep an eye out for the tank vent hole, easier. Even healthier practice, refill at 3/4 to 1/2 mark. That way you are ever ready for an OTR also

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
I don't know the case with diesels.
Even i want to get some info, ill try to dig around in the swift. ie when i get time
Old 16th March 2011, 22:29   #1278
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrot_eater View Post
Just curious if you got the AC installed? And also if you got some music player installed - if yes where were the speakers installed.

By the way very nice looking jeep

Cheers
Carrot
No AC installed Mr.CE and no music player as well...
Old 16th March 2011, 22:34   #1279
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Congratz Pain in U. Really handsome vehicle, alloys planned? Looking forward to the review and participation in otr's. Once again all the very best.

@Sutripta: Diesels also have this closed system, i can talk from my car experience. It does give out woosh's sometimes, especially when fuel refill happens at less than half mark and in summer time.
Thank you sir, planning to retain stock rims and change tires from HT to AT.
Old 16th March 2011, 23:02   #1280
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pain_in_U View Post
Thank you sir, planning to retain stock rims and change tires from HT to AT.
Hi Pain_in_U.

I changed from stock 235/70 R16 HT-Dueller to 255/65 R16 Geolandar AT-S on my Thar. No complaints whatsoever.
The earlier you exchange the tyres, the better deal you will get.

Sandeep Janjua.
Old 17th March 2011, 06:16   #1281
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janjua View Post
Hi Pain_in_U.

I changed from stock 235/70 R16 HT-Dueller to 255/65 R16 Geolandar AT-S on my Thar. No complaints whatsoever.

Sandeep Janjua.
Hi Sandeep,

Did you retain the stock rims when you changed your tires? If not what size rims have you changed to?
Old 17th March 2011, 07:45   #1282
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janjua View Post
Hi Pain_in_U.

Sandeep Janjua.
Did u change the rims???

I own a BOLERO, i will put the HT's onto it.

Last edited by Samurai : 17th March 2011 at 07:54.
Old 17th March 2011, 07:59   #1283
BHPian

Quote:
Did u change the rims???

No, I did not change over to alloys. I feel the stock rims look cool on the Thar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha'Red View Post
Hi Sandeep,

Did you retain the stock rims when you changed your tires? If not what size rims have you changed to?
Yes Sir, I retained the stock rims when I exchanged the tyres.
Attached Thumbnails
Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)-dsc00721.jpg  

Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)-dsc00722.jpg  

Last edited by Jaggu : 17th March 2011 at 12:50. Reason: Back to back posts, please use multi quote (Quote +) instead. Thanks
Old 17th March 2011, 08:34   #1284
Senior - BHPian

Sandeep i also notice that you don't have the spare wheel installed at the back of your jeep.Any particular reason for that?

I know dealers around here like dehradun and chandigarh are not fussy about warranty change due to tires but did you face any issues on changing the tires?

Are you planning for an AC install?

Anything else planning for the Jeep?
Old 17th March 2011, 08:44   #1285
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear sandeep - how is the handling / crispness with 255/65 tyres? Please post your comments best regards behram Dhabhar
Old 17th March 2011, 17:02   #1286
BHPian

Quote:
Did u change the rims???

Hi Pain_in_U,

The 235/70 R16 HT-Dueller will not fit on the stock Bolero rims, unless you are planning to change to new alloys.
Old 17th March 2011, 22:39   #1287
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD View Post
Congrats from the core of my heart. I too wrote off buying Thar after coming across the in-different attitude of the dealer. As if it was a great vehicle to begin, coupled with absolutely no info. from the dealer, leave alone test ride, I haven't still sighted the vehicle.

All the waiting & patience since couple of years ended with a crappy vehicle at an extremely high price coupled with pathetic dealer dealing.

Good riddance at the end, hope I had counted off some time early & saved myself of the agony.
SAD ... I can't believe we are talking about the same company or vehicle. I only have positive feedback, great 4x4 vehicle, plenty power and my dealings with MAHINDRA in Pietermaritzburg, South Africa have been the best. Aftersales service is alive and well. Sorry to hear about your situation. For me after 14000 km...THAR 4X4 ROCKS
Old 17th March 2011, 23:07   #1288
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle888 View Post
SAD ... I can't believe we are talking about the same company or vehicle. I only have positive feedback, great 4x4 vehicle, plenty power and my dealings with MAHINDRA in Pietermaritzburg, South Africa have been the best. Aftersales service is alive and well. Sorry to hear about your situation. For me after 14000 km...THAR 4X4 ROCKS
Hi,
Yes, its TRUE here. How many mahindra vehicles are there in your country?
We have few companies which can show different attitude to different markets/different customers. So it will not be same.
Old 18th March 2011, 07:50   #1289
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BolBolero View Post
Hi Pain_in_U,

The 235/70 R16 HT-Dueller will not fit on the stock Bolero rims, unless you are planning to change to new alloys.
I have Safari OE wheels on my Bolero...
Old 18th March 2011, 08:43   #1290
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
Sandeep i also notice that you don't have the spare wheel installed at the back of your jeep.Any particular reason for that?

I know dealers around here like dehradun and chandigarh are not fussy about warranty change due to tires but did you face any issues on changing the tires?

Are you planning for an AC install?

Anything else planning for the Jeep?
Greetings Navpreet.

I removed the spare wheel because I don't want the rear door hinges squeaking after some time due to the heavy weight of the wheel. Also it is less cumbersome for my kids to climb into the Thar from the rear if there is no spare wheel hanging there.
Goel Motors, Mohali specifically told me that if I upgraded to 255 from 235 on the stock rims, warranty will not be affected.
No, I am not planning to install an AC as of now. But some months down the line, I might think about it.
Also, nothing else planned as of now.

Regards, Sandeep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear sandeep - how is the handling / crispness with 255/65 tyres? Please post your comments best regards behram Dhabhar
Greetings Behram Sir.

I only drove about 12 Kms with the stock Bridgestone Duellers before I exchanged them with Geolandars. So, I can't comment upon the driving experience with the Duellers. But, I can definitely comment upon my experience with the 255/65 R16 Geolandar's and all I can say is that the driving experience has been sublime.
Handling of the Thar in the city traffic and on the highways has been absolutely superb. The steering is very responsive and the Geolandar's are pretty quiet tyres.
My one concern has been the tyre pressure. I have driven the Thar with company recommended 35 psi and found the ride to be quite bouncy. I also tried the 'Max. Pressure-10%', but the ride quality was akin to a death trap. Now, I am driving the Thar at 30 psi and the ride is very decent indeed. I think I will need to do a couple of more 'Hit & Trials' to get the ride quality near perfect.
I have been using the Thar as my primary ride and drive it to work daily and enjoy driving it all the more as the days go by.

Regards, Sandeep.
Janjua is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks