Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th January 2011, 14:21   #541
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)

I had asked BD about this (changing IFS to Leaf). Clearances are an issue. Spikey can give more details.
Old 13th January 2011, 14:36   #542
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
I had asked BD about this (changing IFS to Leaf). Clearances are an issue. Spikey can give more details.
Again I am sure this can be worked around. MM will look at it from a manufacturing perspective. Hell there are CL340s running around perfectly well with the bulky SZ2600. For example this little number - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-te...red-beast.html

Edit - On same thread.. looks like Spike's interested in our proposition. Thar CRDe Offroad special?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
Dear RedMM340- can you post some pictures showing the clearances between the leaf spring and the oil sump, also clearance between the front propeller shaft and the engine block gusset towards the RHS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronWolf View Post
57" Front live axle, 53" FFRA + Lockers, CRDe. (Many may even hint at SPOA, but tall tires should just be enough) Wicket Combo.
Someone suggested this earlier...... Let me search.
Oops It was me who 'suggested' the perfect mix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronWolf View Post
The Rajini version of the Thar is a Live axle, CRDe 150bhp, SPOA beast with 57" track and Electronic Diff locks all round.

Last edited by IronWolf : 13th January 2011 at 14:47. Reason: Found something intersting. :)
Old 13th January 2011, 15:14   #543
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Does any car exist which has a dead axle up front but has the hubs driven by half shafts? I am thinking about it because of the packaging constraints
Old 13th January 2011, 15:17   #544
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
Off-roading perspectives are relative, and this relativity is individual and market driven. What WE (in India) like to call Hard-core Off-Roading is actually Soft-core by standards set in many other countries. Check out some Youtube videos to see what I am referring to.

I'll tell you why.

You think there are no builders capable of building hard core monsters?

You think none of us want to do such activities?

The problem is:

- Lack of space. Abroad there are designated areas to do such activities
- There is no "villager" problems
- Our government doesn't allow modifications. Those monsters are most of the time home built and not road legal
- To tow a pure offroader around the country is a nightmare. Passing through various toll nakas, octroi nakas, police check posts, etc. Too much hassle.

I'd rather have a bare bone crazy offroader which i can tow rather than have an on and offroad machine. I've discussed this with a lot of people and in the current scenario it's not viable to follow this option.

But, it will happen one day.
Old 13th January 2011, 16:13   #545
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
How about the new Thar MDI in its present guise? Is that not a solid axled version?

Further if you wanted the CRDe version with solid axle and FFRA then why not take a CRDe, rip the IFS out and weld in a leaf spring set up in the front and plonk a FFRA with lockers in the back. Fit an a/c and hardtop and music system and for under 10 lacs you will have your ultimate offroad machine and a hot daily driver !!
Hi DKG,

Thar MDI is BS3.

The cost of buying a Thar CRDe and converting to Solid Axle is just not worth it. 7.3L and then some, and some more.
vs
The more economical; convert a NGCSMM550XD to CRDe (M-anything with Divorced T-Case or with T-18 or Borg-Warner)
vs
Converting a MAJOR, to any of the above options.

The Home-made vehicle is always more customized and specific, and economical.

Regards,

Arka
Old 13th January 2011, 19:08   #546
BHPian

Re: Launch & Delivery Updates

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
While speaking to the Regional Sales Manager regarding the Thar launch in Hyderabad, I was given to understand that already the bookings have exceeded expectation and the production line is full for the next 3 months for THAR. So rest of India (including Hyderabad) launch has got pushed back.

If the THAR in present format gets lapped up the way it is then I don't think the V2 with refinement can be expected anytime soon
Good for Mahindra, but then I guess then the Chennai launch is now a far dream . But being optimistic, hopefully the good numbers will make Mahindra think of a HT and AC as standard.
Old 13th January 2011, 19:14   #547
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIVEN-TWEEL View Post
the bf goodrich 245 r16, which was shown in the before post would be bigger in diameter right.? is it fine with no touching absolutely.. or is the vehicle raised ? can anyone reply me regarding this..
I have not read further, but to answer have a look at the www.4x4community.co.za site...Mahindra Thar around page 7 I think...guys this side have put the Thar through its paces. The did put larger tyres. The back is noo problem, but the front they did sweak the torsion bars slightly, just to give added 'stiffness'
They kicked a lot of butt in that competition, putting some very expensive opposition to shame.

Hope this helps

Quote:
Originally Posted by somubj View Post
I have almost planned to buy Thar, only question that is concerning me is
=================
Last thing that i would want is driving next to another Thar which has a factory fitted a/c and h/t.
The price will climb with the more comforts added.
On a hot day who needs an aircon, use the beast for what was designed

GO TOPLESS

Last edited by khan_sultan : 13th January 2011 at 19:58. Reason: back to back posts
Old 13th January 2011, 20:18   #548
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
The Thar is delivered standard with a soft top from the factory. Its the hardtop option that people are asking for.
@DKG, all the pics I've seen show no top of any sort at all !!
Old 13th January 2011, 20:24   #549
Distinguished - BHPian

@Mpower: There is a soft top that comes as standard but no one has seen it as yet :-) Wonder why Mahindra is not even displaying it.
Old 13th January 2011, 21:20   #550
BHPian

Maybe the folks at M&M are washing and pressing it. You know, it could be a very old stock and lotsa dust would have been accumulated

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
@Mpower: There is a soft top that comes as standard but no one has seen it as yet :-) Wonder why Mahindra is not even displaying it.

PS: No Offense M&M we know that the budget for Thar is very limited.
PS: Mods please feel free to delete this post if it is irrelevant.
Old 13th January 2011, 22:01   #551
Distinguished - BHPian

Look at the lift and the IFS on this SA version Thar. For sure looks modified & lifted. What will it take for getting this much lift on the Thar. This is the lift that I would want on my Thar and then we are ready to rock-n-roll.

Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)-thar_sa.jpg

PS: Picture taken from facebook of a friends album showing his friends 4WD's.
Old 13th January 2011, 22:14   #552
Senior - BHPian

@ KHAN >> Thanks for the pic. It sumarrises the need of most people here including mine.
a good lift to go offroad, a removable hard top.. and im sure there must be an ac too.

Now this type of THAR will create a waiting list for Mahindra. Im sure this entire discussion will then be negated to some offroad specific discussion.

Just look at it. Clean neat and simple. Ready to ROCK.
Old 13th January 2011, 22:16   #553
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
While speaking to the Regional Sales Manager regarding the Thar launch in Hyderabad, I was given to understand that already the bookings have exceeded expectation and the production line is full for the next 3 months for THAR. So rest of India (including Hyderabad) launch has got pushed back.

If the THAR in present format gets lapped up the way it is then I don't think the V2 with refinement can be expected anytime soon
Well, well, well. I can't understand who gave birth to this V2?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post
i hope the first production lot of CRDe gets sold!
Don't worry, they are well on way to their final destinations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by star_aqua View Post
I think if atleast 300 THARs are sold for this year, then M&M will be at no loss. so lets sell these first, then only we can expect the second version.
Ha, ha, ha, interesting numbers. FYI, there are 3 digit bookings from one state already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shekaran View Post
DRC sir, am in for this game. count +1 for this plan.
if mahindra gives me the bare chassis and engine, with the bare basic tub, i will also be very much happiest to build my jeep on that existing platform, according to my needs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
+1 am also in, but seriously is it possible? or here also CMVR will come into the picture? Only yellow boards are supposed to be sold like this??
This is really interesting, what do you guys intend to do with a chassis (with IFS design)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubuS View Post
1. Having an Yellow board is a pain
Very true!

Quote:
Originally Posted by star_aqua View Post
How is the fit and finish of invader compared to today's THAR? The invader doesn't look jugaad to me. I think the invader is derived from bolero and not from 540 if am not mistaken.
Star you are partly correct / incorrect. Invader was derived from Bolero, whereas Bolero was derived from Armada which itself was derived from MM540 (albeit with slight changes)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubuS View Post
Spike/Vinod, can you reveal the booking numbers for Thar?
Can't reveal but numbers are really promising.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
My gut feel they should have atleast 100 booking from all over India by now otherwise it is worrisome. EDIT: Oops but its not launched all over so should be smaller maybe 30ish??
Keep guessing Jaggu bhai.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500cc View Post
As of now the OTR price for Bolero Vlx is 7.6L. If at all they launch Vlx with 4x4 setup, the price would be around 8.5L or tops at 9L. So the difference is only 70K. Do you think there would be any takers then ?
Rajesh, whats going on man, heard something :-P

Spike
Old 13th January 2011, 22:21   #554
Team-BHP Support

Stock Thar CRDe is 1750Kgs. Adding HT, AC, Winch & Roll cage will easily push it across 2 ton.
Old 13th January 2011, 22:36   #555
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Ha, ha, ha, interesting numbers. FYI, there are 3 digit bookings from one state already.
Really good! Its Rajasthan or KL?

Quote:
This is really interesting, what do you guys intend to do with a chassis (with IFS design)?
Save money and do our own number

Quote:
Keep guessing Jaggu bhai.
No guess's Spikee, whats stopping you guys from revealing numbers? I really wish Thar would sell so that version 2 would come out fast at the same price with better build and ac and alloy anddddddd..... we all can buy it and go back to one big happy family!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks