Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th January 2011, 10:27   #571
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
Tell me in terms of a Scorpio chassis or a Bolero chassis you want and I'll get our friendly local parts guy to source it. NGCS will be greek and latin to parts guys
Legend chassis then. Will do? I'm serious.
Old 14th January 2011, 10:49   #572
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
Legend chassis then. Will do? I'm serious.
ask for something that is currently in production, the older outdated stuff will take ages to find. He may not be able to access stuff which is purely sold to the armed forces, but we can try if you insist
Old 14th January 2011, 13:40   #573
BHPian

need some info guys.. is the classic still around, how does it match up to the Thar
Old 14th January 2011, 14:50   #574
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
I have never spread any confusion dude, in fact I have relentlessly tried to counter people from spreading confusion and I believe, I know what I'm talking.

Spike
Really sad news :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit.mishra View Post
need some info guys.. is the classic still around, how does it match up to the Thar
Nope classic is no more available, one is a short chassis, fixed axle, old tractor engine Vs Medium wheel base, IFS and a brilliant Crde engine. No comparison.
Old 14th January 2011, 14:52   #575
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
ask for something that is currently in production, the older outdated stuff will take ages to find. He may not be able to access stuff which is purely sold to the armed forces, but we can try if you insist
Legend Chasis = Thar MDI Chasis. Check with your buddies..
Old 14th January 2011, 17:41   #576
BHPian

This has been the best review ever for me.

DB should ideally circulate this among Mahindra key decision makers only to let them know how passionate WE are about a new Mahindra product.

Mahindra is a cash rich company as we know & reducing the margin to incorporate decent interiors & AC would have made Thar acceptable to a whole lot of prospective buyers.

I think someone at Mahindra thought that this thing is going to sell in less numbers for maybe a year & it will become another Classic...so why bother about interiors?

Me & my friend went for the TD (him ready to buy it), but the steel almirah body finish, non opening tailgate, sloppily fitted ST & hacksaw cut dash board edges just broke the deal. He is not an offroader & doesn't know what IFS is but has the sense to notice that this thing is not worth 7 lacs. By the way he owns a Fortuner, i20 & Innova.

I am sure there are hundreds of such guys who are used to decent interiors & are put off by the half hearted treatment to what could have been a good seller for Mahindra.
Old 14th January 2011, 19:00   #577
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
Honestly, the couple of pictures, listed under Mahindra section on their Website, look positively HORRID.

Maybe it's just bad pictures. Please can you let us have some Pics, from your Thar, and how much you paid for these.

Hi, apologies friend. Here is my hardtop. Well made , looks smart.

Front section is removeable, which is really cool

Hope this helps
Attached Thumbnails
Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)-hard-top-mahindra-thar-made-south-africa-puma-canopies.jpg  

Old 14th January 2011, 19:21   #578
Team-BHP Support

Looks pretty good. Have you tested it for leaks? Only suggestion is for a mat finish and another piece to cover the in between part Front to Rear.
Old 14th January 2011, 22:57   #579
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Tejas.

i thought Mahindra is giving something for free attached to the glove compartment.

today i saw a transporter friends Bolero Pickup Special or something.
The dashboard is a direct lift from that, with a different cluster, ofcourse.
7 lac vehicle needs a good quality and nicely designed dashboard. Dhabar Sir are you listening.

Last edited by SirAlec : 14th January 2011 at 22:58.
Old 14th January 2011, 23:13   #580
BHPian

Re: Excellent review!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
Those indicators are dummy, they function only on Electric shift BW Transfer cases.
Spike
Sorry to bring that up Spike.

Those Non Working 4H & 4L indicators are present in Bolero VLX 2WD.
They are also present in Thar CRDe but not working as there is Manual shifter.

Scorpio & Xylo got different IP.

Does that mean there really is Bolero 4WD VLX on cards? (May be with Electric shifter)

If not then wont they ever function on Thar CRDe?

How is the case with Thar DI 4wd, does it have any such indicator apart from the Stick position?
Old 15th January 2011, 00:46   #581
Senior - BHPian

i could live with a non AC & HT THAR CRDe.
i could live with the current standard condition of THAR.
i could live with the mechanicals of the THAR, as we dont go hardcore offroading, we just to trailblazing!

but i can afford only one vehicle and if i choose THAR, then it has to have AC and HT to enable my family to travel. specially from NCR to Punjab, Himanchal and back!

even in its current form, its not worth it to have it as a first/only vehicle in the family, even in NCR because of the pollution, dust etc. as i dont want my family to inhale pollution and CO2 while travelling in thar!

heart still says to go ahead and get one, but as a family man i have to make a rational decision and in its current form, THAR cant be my choice at the moment!
Old 15th January 2011, 06:36   #582
Senior - BHPian

Interesting thread. As a Gypsy owner that bought one new 18 months ago, I have to say that the fit and finish of the vehicle and the build quality is excellent. Maruti doesn't give much with it in terms of interiors, but what it does do, it does quite well. Things look spartan, but nothing looks like local garage fabricated stuff. And after 12000 kms, the only rattles are the few that were there when new. I have the soft top, and once the air intake vent has been sealed, zero leaks in even heavy rains. Since my off roading is for getting from point A to point B, and my points B are not on top of hills, in quarries or river beds, or for just the fun of the off roading part - but to places where there aren't any good roads, I am very happy with the Gypsy for all it has proved able to do.
Given the progress that Mahindra has made in the last ten years away from its agricultural roots, I am surprised to see the regression.
Also, if I guess one went very far back, the fit and finish they offered even then on their Jeeps was far better than what the Thar seems to offer.
As always, the sales figures will be the clincher in terms of customer verdict, so I look forward to seeing what they reveal.

Last edited by Sawyer : 15th January 2011 at 06:42.
Old 15th January 2011, 07:47   #583
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle888 View Post
Hi, apologies friend. Here is my hardtop. Well made , looks smart.

Front section is removeable, which is really cool

Hope this helps
Can you kindly post some interior pictures too, I want to compare them to the ones sold here.
Old 15th January 2011, 09:20   #584
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amartya View Post
Can you kindly post some interior pictures too, I want to compare them to the ones sold here.
I guess the interiors would be the same. Cost of injection moulds runs into crores of rupees. If M&M had given such budgets for the development of the Thar, then we would have had better interiors. I only hope that Thar becomes a success and AM listens to customer voice to give us something better later. But I do not expect anything anytime soon. In any case I think the peole buying these in SA may not be lifestyle seekers. And it may not be their only vehicle.
Old 15th January 2011, 10:04   #585
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amartya View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjbiju View Post
I guess the interiors would be the same. Cost of injection moulds runs into crores of rupees. If M&M had given such budgets for the development of the Thar, then we would have had better interiors. ....
While the overall interiors could be same, what would be interesting to see if the "quality" of the plastic used is the same. I have seen the invader dash and the quality of plastic used in that looks lot lot more sturdier and the finishing much much better.

For example, when you open the doors of the invader, you don't see this hacksaw cut plastics on the sides -- again, you have to see them in person to realize how BAD they look. Maybe someone can post a similar profile picture from an invader for a comparison shot.

Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)-ina5.jpg

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks