Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th January 2011, 09:37   #631
GTO
Team-BHP Support

re: Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I run a product company. And R&D is the life blood of any product company.
You know Sharath...car companies spend millions of $$$ and hire a 100 ivy-league MBAs to realise what you said in one line. A resounding YES! The R&D indeed is the lifeblood of any product company. Want the best example? Look at GM and Ford. The former was a giant, the latter a consistent no.2 for the last 60 - 70 years. When the dynamics of the N/A car market changed, Ford was quick to realise only its products can make the company sustainable. Ford's product competitiveness & durability are today much superior to GM's range in the USA (and it's been that way for the last 5 - 7 years).

Who went with a begging bowl to Washington? GM (& Chrysler).
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2011, 09:47   #632
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by absynthguzzler View Post
I personally feel Anirudh's option to purchase the Getaway is a classic example of loosing out on a potential Thar buyer purely due to lack of clear answers to doubts raised
I didn't know he bought a Getaway. Interesting.
Old 20th January 2011, 09:49   #633
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I personally feel Anirudh's option to purchase the Getaway is a classic example of loosing out on a potential Thar buyer purely due to lack of clear answers to doubts raised. Albeit, it is commendable that MC stuck to purchasing a M&M product and opted for the Getaway. As much as I'm chuffed to know MC got a vehicle that will help his insane appetite for adventure and travel, the after taste is not good.
100%. After trawling through so many pages, for so many days, and add to that the waiting before that, I am disappointed with the avatar of Thar that has been offered. Hence, I am also considering a switch to Xenon or Scorpio. However, unlike Anirudh's case, where he is sticking on to a M&M product, I might just switch to a Tata! After all, Tatas are reputed to make good trucks.
My heart tells me wait some more, since I have already waited so long. Let's see when my head wins.
Old 20th January 2011, 10:14   #634
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I personally feel Anirudh's option to purchase the Getaway is a classic example of loosing out on a potential Thar buyer purely due to lack of clear answers to doubts raised. Albeit, it is commendable that MC stuck to purchasing a M&M product and opted for the Getaway. As much as I'm chuffed to know MC got a vehicle that will help his insane appetite for adventure and travel, the after taste is not good.

================================================== ====
He's a happy customer( albeit, a compromised one)at the end of the day. I only wish his initial choice and dream was good enough for me to be a happy well-wisher and admirer of the Thar.
Thanks Arun for putting my thoughts in such a lucid manner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
I didn't know he bought a Getaway. Interesting.
What to do Sir! My conundrum and decision process has been documented here http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/suvs-m...d-getaway.html
Old 20th January 2011, 10:54   #635
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post
Im sorry, Mahindra spending money on marketing and brand buliding is wrong but Volkswagen spending a hundred crores on its TOI marketing campaign is OK??
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
When car companies spend more on brand positioning than on R&D, there is something seriously wrong.
CYrus,

Like Samurai has said, it it not M&Ms spending on Marketing that we lament, it the relative lack of spend on Product Development that is the issue.

If VW spends 100 crores (or whatever the sum is) on marketing it's Passat/Vento/Polo wht did it spend on Product developement for these cars?

Last edited by navin : 21st January 2011 at 10:27.
Old 20th January 2011, 11:13   #636
Distinguished - BHPian

Just to keep perspectives as objective as possible, some direct queries to Mahindra:

1. Having read TBhp's honest feedback about the Thar pre/post-launch, are there any plans whatsoever by Mahindra to incorporate them into the Thar, as a positive feedback loop ?

2. If yes, is there a (rough) ETA by which the Thar's original (presumed) user-base of enthusiasts, can expect to see the changes in a production Thar?

Based on either a Yes/No to the above, the current perceived emotional discussion thats taking away focus from the actual vehicle can quickly end with people being enabled to take informed decisions about the feasibility of the Thar for their requirements.
Old 20th January 2011, 13:05   #637
Senior - BHPian

Positive Feedback Loop? meaning a response to our feedback on some key issues like -

Lack of HT option
Lack of AC option
Signs of Rust
Shoddy interiors

Well no response to any of these in the various posts that I have personally seen. Or did I miss a response with definite timelines to any one of these issues?
Old 20th January 2011, 13:20   #638
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
Just to keep perspectives as objective as possible, some direct queries to Mahindra:

1. Having read TBhp's honest feedback about the Thar pre/post-launch, are there any plans whatsoever by Mahindra to incorporate them into the Thar, as a positive feedback loop ?

2. If yes, is there a (rough) ETA by which the Thar's original (presumed) user-base of enthusiasts, can expect to see the changes in a production Thar?

Based on either a Yes/No to the above, the current perceived emotional discussion thats taking away focus from the actual vehicle can quickly end with people being enabled to take informed decisions about the feasibility of the Thar for their requirements.
I'm with theMAG on this and request team members from Mahindra to kindly give us some concrete information on the above.

Also, I would like members with sound technical knowledge to kindly answer my query made in my last post. Thanks in advance.

Quote:
Food for thought: If the glove box on the Thar was lockable, could the now vulnerable ECM be placed there?
Old 20th January 2011, 14:21   #639
Team-BHP Support

If you put ECU inside the glove box it will eat lot of space, better position would be under the dash some place away from easy access. Only the OBD connectors needs to be put at a place where access is good.
Old 20th January 2011, 14:29   #640
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post

Mag do you know of any example of a car company spokesperson stating that they are revising the current offering (however bad that junk may be) and a new better product will be out soon with the flaws rectified?

Such a statement would end all chances of the model that is currently introduced selling. This is the same reason why even if a new model variant of a car has been introduced worldwide and will be introduced in India soon, the company will still deny it till it actually happens.

This level of transperancy will never exist and for a good reason, it would like shooting oneself in the foot in terms of business on an ongoing basis.

What I am saying is that even if the answer to your queries are very much positive, they just can't disclose that.

Last edited by ACM : 20th January 2011 at 14:32.
Old 20th January 2011, 14:45   #641
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

+1 to ACM's post.

If the vehicle manufacturing companies actually did listen to their consumers, then at some level, I guess the need would not exist, for some of the comments on a thread such as this.

even when one emails them or speaks to them, most times one receives some nice friendly, politically correct "stock" sounding replies.

Not always do those replies act as a precursor to positive action.

This is my experience since I started trying to share feedback and comments and suggestions with them.

I dont think this is going to change for the better any time soon or at least until the slumbering giants wake up and start recognizing the fact that there are genuine, sensible consumers out there, who reaffirm their faith in these organizations by investing their hard earned money in the products that they make.
Old 20th January 2011, 16:17   #642
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
Mag do you know of any example of a car company spokesperson stating that they are revising the current offering (however bad that junk may be) and a new better product will be out soon with the flaws rectified?

Such a statement would end all chances of the model that is currently introduced selling. This is the same reason why even if a new model variant of a car has been introduced worldwide and will be introduced in India soon, the company will still deny it till it actually happens.
Um, look no further than Tata. They've done this with pretty much all their cars - the safari, the nano, the indica - the gap before their launches and their availablity at dealership is long, but that doesnt dent their sales significantly.
Old 20th January 2011, 23:29   #643

Hi guys! Any idea about when M&M would be launching 'Thar Adventure' version in India (Delhi)?
Old 21st January 2011, 00:26   #644
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpuri View Post
Hi guys! Any idea about when M&M would be launching 'Thar Adventure' version in India (Delhi)?
The THAR ADventure version has already been launched. The procedure is to buy the THAR and then send it to Mahindra Customisation in Mumbai along with the DD for fabrication.

The fabrication will cost about 2.6 L + Taxes!

Cheers
Old 21st January 2011, 00:38   #645
BHPian

It needs to be said...Mahindra offer great aftersales service. Here in South Africa we have a 24 / 7 Mahindra road assist helpline. Never had to use it in 10 months, but nice to know it is there. The servicing on my THAR 4x4 has been perfect.

Last edited by Amartya : 21st January 2011 at 02:27. Reason: Posts are now bordering on fanatical support,note, fanaticism goes both ways.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks