Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th February 2011, 19:24   #1066
Senior - BHPian

re: Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
So does it mean no AC kit/Factory fitted Thar is coming unless HT version comes out?
Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
Please answer the question i asked, Instead of asking for my opinion and feedback, or leave it to be answered by rest of the members. It was a general question to everyone here.
AC with ST will not be very purposeful, but it helps refresh oneself after a grueling OTR.

what interests me is

1. Lockable cabin in the lifestyle vehicle - with Central Locking
2. AC
3. Diff Locks
4. MT tyres 31" or higher
5. Bonnet self lock - Not the retro type given
6. Factory fitted Snorkel
7. Front and rear Tow Hooks
8. Lockable Diesel tank

What can be given at the dealer level is:

1. Tow Ropes
2. First Aid Box
3. Comprehensive Tool Box
4. A custom remap option with larger dia tyres, different diff ratios etc.
5. Larger Fuel Tank
6. Full 6 point roll cage
7. GPS with indian maps preloaded

Ofcourse, IF THERE is a will, there is a WAY
Old 28th February 2011, 22:05   #1067
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreejeshmp View Post
Why you think a 4x4 Guy should have an old jeep ?
When did i ever say that, that a 4x4 guy should have an old jeep?

I have been really busy so not been watching the fun in here (as usual)
Old 28th February 2011, 22:16   #1068
AWD
BHPian

So, what's the final call on A.C. installation on both Thar CRDE & DI? I mean can it be installed in both with ease & what are the costs involved. A work from Mahindra on this should settle matters.
Old 28th February 2011, 22:21   #1069
Senior - BHPian

Looks like a brand new THAR CRDe attended the Desert Storm 2011 without much problems. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...alls-life.html
Old 28th February 2011, 22:51   #1070
Team-BHP Support

Seriously

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishnayak View Post
Yes, It was THAR. It did well besides it's brakes failed while we were driving from Bhuj to jaisalmer. He made it though.
And people are questioning decade old jeeps! Well it is a jeep thing i guess!
Old 1st March 2011, 00:29   #1071
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Seriously

And people are questioning decade old jeeps! Well it is a jeep thing i guess!
for a jeep doing 140kmph all the time, cannot think of this.

At least it comes with hand brake and hopefully it works unlike the old jeeps
Old 1st March 2011, 10:11   #1072
Senior - BHPian

Yesterday The Hindu had a review article on the THAR:
The Hindu : Metro Plus Delhi / Wheels : Desert storm

Outside Tbhp, this is much better than what the other automobile magazine/forums had done in terms of review. Though these two sentences are mismatch....
Quote:
....should be easy to fix just about anywhere in India. Add to that the joy of customising the Thar to the specifications you desire and it makes this off-roader very attractive....
The on-road behaviour however again is not very inspiring in terms of steering...
Quote:
....But the Thar doesn't feel very stable when running at higher speeds. Its imprecise steering and some degree of looseness at the rear means you have to make constant corrections on the wheel....
I will reserve my comments till i get the opportunity to test drive one.

The news of brake failure in the Desert Storm is scary. Would love to see a THAR doing the terrains of the Raid. The high altitude performance has not yet been tested/reviewed.
Old 1st March 2011, 11:46   #1073
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by star_aqua View Post
for a jeep doing 140kmph all the time, cannot think of this.

At least it comes with hand brake and hopefully it works unlike the old jeeps
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kandisa View Post
The news of brake failure in the Desert Storm is scary. Would love to see a THAR doing the terrains of the Raid. The high altitude performance has not yet been tested/reviewed.
I'm not sure what was the problem but let me tell you the Storm also suffers from similar braking issues but they are not fatal one.
Old 1st March 2011, 11:59   #1074
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
I'm not sure what was the problem but let me tell you the Storm also suffers from similar braking issues but they are not fatal one.
Issues as in any periodical problems? Would be nice if you can elaborate about the types of problems. Referring to the post on the THAR in the Desert Storm, i was under the impression that the brake system malfunctioned to a good extent.
Old 1st March 2011, 13:12   #1075
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
Dear BD,

Why do you always wait for comments before elaborating or tell someone to PM you to answer a query or guide them in totality? Why not lay it all out on the forum for one and all to read? If you explain at first, then negative comments won't come na?
Dear Tejas - the reason I do it is very simple. When people first ask, there is an additional involvement from them. Then when I tell, they will understand properly what is explained, otherwise it just becomes another post. Believe you me, with this method, chances of misunderstanding are greatly reduced. I use this logic in my daily working also. .

Dear all - I am explaining the details on development of Thar CRDe canopy assembly. We follow a strict code of conduct in the product development process. First, the FIT (Functional Image Target) for this part was defined. It is obvious that I cannot share the actual FIT details but this exercise very clearly defined a need that "we must go to the correct vendor". In correct language, this is known as "Strategic Sourcing". Once the vendor was in place, we conveyed the FIT targets to him and worked with his engineers to deliver the product meeting the required FIT. Some salient features of the canopy are as follows:

1. The color of the canopy should be black. The body colors are chosen to match the canopy. Silver / black looks cool, rocky biege / black looks classique, black / black looks mean and timeless / cherry and black looks good.
2. The canopy must give a "cloth" feel / drape and not a plasticky appearance / feel. The cloth drape must be smooth and clean. It must not give a feel that any other Indian canopy made in India up to now gives and what an average Indian customer is used to. My personal brief to the engineers was that it must drape like a "Pleatless Comfort Feel Raymond Trouser". When you look at yourself in the mirror, you must "feel nice and confident".
2. The area above the front seat occupants must convey the feeling that one is not sitting in a soft top vehicle. Therefore, you see the black part above the front seats. This part must be non-intruding to the eyes, simple to manufacture and must be cost effective.
3. The canopy must not make undue flapping noise. Therefore, you see 80 mm long 3 nos velcro straps attaching the part above the front seats. Two velcros are located backwards and one velcro is located forwards, to take care of the whipping forces generated above the roof when the vehicle moves at the high speeds that it is capable of.
4. As the vehicle is a 7 seater, it must actually seat 7 people. Therefore, the rear must be vertical and not sloping downwards. The rear bow is located in the body by dimples provided at correct location in the "Z" axis. The height defining dimension was chosen after a lot of CAE iterations.
5. The canopy above the rear seats must be draped around an adequate support. This takes the form of three sheet metal parts which radius perfectly to give the "timeless look with built in functionality". The canopy cloth must project 4 mm above the side supports to minimize wrinkle formation. This is a compound dimension generated on full assembly only. It cannot be seen on individual parts.
6. In order to provide adequate support, strength and presence, we decided to divide the long length of the canopy along the longitudinal axis into three sectors. Therefore, there are two 10 mm diameter rods which locate on the side rails and drape the canopy in three distinct sectors, which prevents flapping and noise. The slight protrusions are intended and not ncidental.
6. The canopy is longitudinally and transversely supported by eight numbers of velcro straps extending from back to front and folded from front to back, therefore, arflow through the vehicle presses them into shape all the time. There is an X axis defined support running along the entire rear length of the canopy to provide strength to the cloth in this segment. This is manufactured in a special assembly process.
6. The rear opening zipper must be capable of being operated with one hand only. Therefore, it is placed exactly next to rear the support pipe, so that it does not buckle.
7. After the zipper is closed, it must not take the full wind force. Therefore, adequately long velcros are provided below the zippers to protect them.
8. The flap on the rear zipper cover and above the rear window must not open outwards. Therefore, velcros are provided at these locations to keep them in place.
9. The canopy is supported on the rear of the Targa Band and on the rear side panels by channels of adequate strength. These are capable of taking wind force at 140 kmph. The channels are equipped with Z axis oriented slots to allow the customer to carry out fine adjustments in the field. These supports are hidden by the canopy cloth itself, which is further supported by plastic shields to maintain the straight lines.
10. There is no corelation provided between the canopy and the tail gate / spare wheel mounting bracket. This is to provide ease of tail gate operation even when the canopy is closed.
11. It is possible to provide an internal metallic shield within the top of the canopy. The design is protected for the same.

So guys, this was just a very small window view of what we do in "Vehicle Development" / Product Engineering". It is our job to conceptualize, design, develop, prototype, test, validate, manufacture and sell a product to you. If this is what goes on behind the scenes to make one part available to you, I hope you will now appreciate the time, effort and energy that has gone into making the full Thar CRDe vehicle. I have not shared any classified information. This is what the vehicle will speak to you if you talk to it. The core competence required here is very simple. It is PRODUCT CLARITY. Your comments are welcome.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2011, 14:29   #1076
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

DB, that is a superb post, it is as articulate as can be. It is great that you were able to share this with us. It enables us to get an insight into the extent of detail a manufacturer goes to for each part. And this is just the soft top. We now know why it took so long for the thar to come out.

It also instills an assuring feeling wrt to the Thar, that does not come across at first glance.

Thank you.
Old 1st March 2011, 14:41   #1077
Senior - BHPian

Clarity

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post

Dear all - It is PRODUCT CLARITY. Your comments are welcome.
Hi DB Sir,

You missed out the most important thing. Any Guesses?

Regards,

Arka
Old 1st March 2011, 14:43   #1078
BHPian

Dabhar Sir - you can call me what you like - Bugs bunny or whatever..

I had mentioned the Soft top is very well fitted...Now I know why..

I think this has been asked before as well - What is a good estimate/price of fitting an AC in the Thar. How much should I or someone else pay for the AC to be fitted in the Proper Way - I am talking about the dealer fitment.

Any indicative range will help a lot to most people.

Cheers
Carrot
Old 1st March 2011, 14:51   #1079
BHPian

Is this the only thing mahindra took care ? or any thing else ? did the thar get this much of attention? Its like watching scary movie .
Old 1st March 2011, 15:00   #1080
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Tejas - the reason I do it is very simple. When people first ask, there is an additional involvement from them. Then when I tell, they will understand properly what is explained, otherwise it just becomes another post. Believe you me, with this method, chances of misunderstanding are greatly reduced. I use this logic in my daily working also. .

Dear all - I am explaining the details on development of Thar CRDe canopy assembly. We follow a strict code of conduct in the product development process. First, the FIT (Functional Image Target) for this part was defined.....

So guys, this was just a very small window view of what we do in "Vehicle Development" / Product Engineering". It is our job to conceptualize, design, develop, prototype, test, validate, manufacture and sell a product to you. If this is what goes on behind the scenes to make one part available to you, I hope you will now appreciate the time, effort and energy that has gone into making the full Thar CRDe vehicle. I have not shared any classified information. This is what the vehicle will speak to you if you talk to it. The core competence required here is very simple. It is PRODUCT CLARITY. Your comments are welcome.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Dear Mr. Behram Dhabhar, With the kind of thought/design process you have illustrated, I feel it's high time we forget the negatives and appreciate what is available on the platter!! Regards, Bopanna

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks