Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th January 2011, 14:00   #226
BHPian

re: Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)

Quote:
Originally Posted by download2live View Post
Or just like they used to do in past, they can buy an old rusting Jeep and restore it.
History repeats. 5 years down the lane i shall also be restoring the rusted THAR.
Old 7th January 2011, 14:05   #227
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post
Hello Sir,

1) Why does the Thar CRDe, Tip forward (stance)
Arkajee , I dont understand this , almost all the vehicle we see ( empty/unloaded ), look tipped/dipped forward . My comparison may not be correct but you can see vehicles having ifs & leaf behind ( amb,padmini,old 800, trax ) thease all seem to have a front tippped down stance ( specially empty ). So will you please explain more ? regarding this Q as to what you are sugesting ?

Quote:
3) In IFS the the Curved Lower arms Move Up-Wards, hence the CV-Trans-Axle get pulled outwards. This is very noticed in scorpio, hence the Track widens, I think this does put a lot of stress on the CV joint and they fail as we have observed.

Regards,

Arka
What will be the axle position(wrt to Thar) if the controll arms get parallel to horizontal line ? I mean a mid position of their travel .

But regarding this do you want to say that this happens in a stock ( un modified )Thar too ? meaning that the stock/standard configuration/design allows this to happen ?( to let the axle have dangerous angle ) this is serious
So your point is regarding angle or expanded position ?

Sudarshan ( less JEE )

PS I think I am getting more & more confused by thease 'Gurus '
Old 7th January 2011, 14:06   #228
Senior - BHPian

After reading the detail preview/review it almost makes me feel the Jeep is a bit over priced. The interiors looks absolutely cheap and the various pain points discussed will drive me to get an old Jeep and modify the way I want it.

Mahindra could have adapted something from the Wrangler line up and could have attracted a whole new crowd going after their jeeps. I was in love with the Yellow wrangler in US. I test drove a few before my love for bikes took over me to buy a Valkyrie instead.

May be we are not the audience they are expecting to sell these jeeps and M&M may have plans to sell less than 500 a year or so.
Old 7th January 2011, 14:22   #229

Hi all I had heard a lot about “THE THAR “ but am highly disappointed, after I read the reviews on this blog. Mahindra’s are not new comers in the automobile market, they have been here for donkey’s years, if this Jeep was introduced in the mid 90’s then it would probably sell well and also the shoddy fit and finish interiors would be overlooked. We are in 2011 with Mahindra have already given us good cars like the Scorpio, Bolero etc then why a CUT COPY PASTE =THAR ? So where is the engineering?

1) Raised rear Leaf Shackles and mounting points,
2) Engine & Suspensions adopted from existing models,
3) Dash board from don’t know where,
4) Ergonomics non existing
5) Finally the Body and Chassis of the 540

This is a complete mix of Mahindra spares, well no offence to the makers & creators but this is just my point of view!!!!
Old 7th January 2011, 14:35   #230
BHPian

I don't remember seeing anything on the brakes on the THAR. How good is the braking system?
Old 7th January 2011, 14:45   #231
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Question - Now I need help from you for the following: I want to put 31x10.5 x15 or 16" tires. What all will I need to change or strengthen? I can cut the fenders. OK with it. Can I put wider axles?
My answerPlease cut the fenders because they are “non-load bearing members”.
And what happens to the warranty sir? If I interpret your suggested advise, there is nothing wrong in cutting fenders and they are a non-critical part. So, technically MM would honor the warranty claims (of the parts covered under warranty) and not say that just because you cut the fender we will not replace the CV joints under warranty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Question - I want same brakes as 521 and also same suspension. How can I further beef up the suspension?
My answer – brakes same as 521 will be possible on a one off basis. You will have to change discs, calipers, stub axles, booster, LSPV etc. .....
Same questions here. What happens to the warranty and other aspects if someone follows your advise? Will the complete warranty be void or just the warranty of the associated parts go for a toss?

Quote:
Originally Posted by offroad_maniac View Post
Please share more warranty details wrt offroading damage in an vehicle sold as an Offroader.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2theMax View Post
Is there a Warranty for any kind ?
Do Offroading damages qualify for Insurance claim ? .
Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
3) Please Highlight the case of warranty - In the featured green-goblin, 'IF' this were a customers vehicle, and say a part like ECU, water pump, Universal joint or any other part had failed (not physically damaged from bashing) - the MASS would refuse a claim because it is visible it had been offroad. Where does M&M draw a line for such claims? ....
A lot many of you have asked, and rightly so about the warranty aspects of the vehicle that has been positioned as an outdoor/off-roader & lifestyle vehcile.

Maybe, someone from M&M can answer the warranty aspects on this thread itself -- especially for off-road use. A detailed info on **fine print** about the warranty would help.
  • Will participation in MGE void the warranty? Will damages to drive-line/mechanical components in MGE be part of warranty?
  • How will MM/Dealers determine it?
  • etc etc..
Old 7th January 2011, 14:52   #232
Team-BHP Support

Why not talk about insurance too? The buyers will be forced to buy full comprehensive insurance at the time of purchase.

But, what insurer will honor it on a modded Thar that is used for offroading?

This is not an issue with our old offroad vehicles since we all only have third party cover.
Old 7th January 2011, 14:58   #233
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Why not talk about insurance too? The buyers will be forced to buy full comprehensive insurance at the time of purchase.

This is not an issue with our old offroad vehicles since we all only have third party cover.
This is a very valid point, thanks for pointing out Samurai.
Old 7th January 2011, 14:59   #234
BHPian

Dear Khan & Tejas,

Stunning report! You guys have set a new benchmark for reviews in tbhp. The read was engaging and the videos were informative.

Everybody is unanimous about the changes required - AC, hardtop etc. I'd also like to add that since it is a great cruiser, safety should be of paramount importance. I am not too sure how this would handle a high speed head on impact. Also, I am not too sure about the effectiveness of the factory fitted roll cage either. Are these too much to ask for a vehicle of this nature?

- Sushanth
Old 7th January 2011, 15:02   #235
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Hopefully the CMVR guy won't be swinging the iron balls at my Jeep, still I think my full metal dash can handle it.
Sam, your dash may, but your head won't be able to handle it. Actually the deceleration of the impacting sphere (which resembles the head) is also measured.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Spikey my man

-------
Cheers!
Okie, point noted!

Spike
Old 7th January 2011, 15:09   #236
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Or for that matter, the claims arising out of participation in MGE with a stock Thar..!!
Old 7th January 2011, 15:31   #237
BANNED

15 years back MM launched the Classic. Then it was squarely targeted at "LIFESTYLE" buyers.

Features:
  • Race going styled seats (It couldn't go above 80 kmph though)
  • Engine that would make you deaf over 100 kms on the highway.
  • No interiors to talk about except the seats
  • No driver ergonomics, blunt edges all over.
  • A bullbar upfront which was useless
  • Horrible wire wheels (try cleaning them, rust magnets too)
  • Leaf spring suspension all round.
  • Topless ads and what not
  • No Hard Top
  • No AC
  • No Power Steering
  • No cup holders, no vanity mirrors
  • Front facing Seat But useless. More like the mother-in-law seat.
There was no mention of the how good it was off road. Some vague ads but clearly targeted at the rich guy who wanted some style. Some Classics I know were never slotted in 4WD... ever!!!

Fast forward to today, MM launches the THAR. Says it is offroaders manna from heaven, most of the above features still exist on the THAR but there are some major exceptions (+ve and -ve) eg.PS, better engine, etc. Now everyone else calls it a LIFESTYLE vehicle.

Somewhere in between MM should have merged both...

Last edited by Spitfire : 7th January 2011 at 15:32.
Old 7th January 2011, 16:08   #238
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
Please see the below pic. The distance covered between the two pics is 99.5kms as indicated by the odo. Now check the fuel level indicator.

Waiting for your reply to this. And no, we did not steal your diesel.

Attachment 478537
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post
Someone talked about a car driven at 65 kmph in the top gear at 2AM as the way I used to do FE Runs. I suggest you keep your comments to yourself if you do not know how Indian Auto Publications do their FE runs. Thank you for your valuable comments though, we know how much you know now.
It does not matter to me or a Thar buyer how much I know about auto books and their testing methods... but please explain the above pic from Tejas. Lets us all know how much I dont know..!!

Are you agreeing that the flawed fuel meter is just one of the many defects in Thar?

Or are you agreeing the thar consumes ~40 liters of diesel for just 100Kms under a heavy footed drive.

How much ripping can a driver do in 100Kms anyway? He has to slow down once in a while for slow moving vehicles and bring the RPMs down once in a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Very serious question, i would really like to know how this happens? I always thought they gave us the values for real life scenario's when they calculate FE? Unlike ARAI method which is way off.
Jaggu - dont be so innocent , buy these books just to see the pics, drive them to know the real 'em...!!

Last edited by svsantosh : 7th January 2011 at 16:16.
Old 7th January 2011, 16:13   #239
Senior - BHPian

Ifs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudarshan View Post
Arkajee , I dont understand this , almost all the vehicle we see ( empty/unloaded ), look tipped/dipped forward . My comparison may not be correct but you can see vehicles having ifs & leaf behind ( amb,padmini,old 800, trax ) thease all seem to have a front tippped down stance ( specially empty ). So will you please explain more ? regarding this Q as to what you are sugesting ?

What will be the axle position(wrt to Thar) if the controll arms get parallel to horizontal line ? I mean a mid position of their travel .

But regarding this do you want to say that this happens in a stock ( un modified )Thar too ? meaning that the stock/standard configuration/design allows this to happen ?( to let the axle have dangerous angle ) this is serious
So your point is regarding angle or expanded position ?
Sudarshan JEE,

Please have a look at other IFS 4WD vehicles, like, Ford Endy, Mitsubishi Pajero, Toyota Fortuner, Force Gurkha, I have never seen them tip forward.

wrt to the Scorpio IFS, in the Ideal position (Look at Scorpio 2wd and Bolero VLX STORM) the front looks neat.

But in the 4WD this Ideal Stance is not noticed.

At the above position the Axle will be point down into the CV Joint. (Hypothetically).

When the Lower Arms are Parallel (Mid-Travel) to the Ground the Axle will be Parallel to the Ground.

Regards,

Arka

PS - Please look a a few 4WD Scorpio and a 2WD Scorpio.
Old 7th January 2011, 16:18   #240
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi svsantosh,

Please note the fuel efficiency tests were not planned and there can be errors. This is why it wasn't in the official report in the initial posts. Those were my casual (not official) observations. Please don't use it as a benchmark.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks