Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th November 2014, 12:32   #3196
BHPian

re: Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)

Quote:
Originally Posted by al pacino View Post
Guys just a thought brushed my mind today , since crash safety ,abs and airbags will be mandatory from Oct 2015 how will the Thar fare in this aspect ?

Will Mahindra incorporate some safety features in the car and the over all body shell like crumple zones or just stop selling the Thar ?

I think to sell the Thar in the form which it is sold now won't be possible for Mahindra . what possible scenarios do memebers think regarding the above mentioned issue ?
Same thought came to my mind also after reading that Govt. has instructed NISSAN to stop selling of Datsun GO that is failing crash test regulations!

Time has come for the THAR to become a classic before it looses its charm by introducing all the 'features' and becoming a "practical" vehicle brought by the masses. Anyways I got mine so M&M can stop production now
Old 8th November 2014, 14:19   #3197

Quote:
Originally Posted by KkVaidya View Post
Hello Manjeet,

I have the original fender flares of my Thar along with the OE front bumper and side footsteps lying useless in my backyard. Let me know if you need them.
Dear Kk,

From your profile I see that you're located in Ahmedabad. I googled the distance from Noida and its a good 1000kms one way.

I know it would be asking too much, but would it be possible for you to courier/ship the parts? I would cover the transport cost.

I don't have PM previleges yet, so posting in the common thread.

Thanks
Manjeet

PS: NCR jeepers/NIOC peopl e, please do let me know about upcoming weekend OTRs. I will be a very willing apprentice.
Old 8th November 2014, 17:43   #3198
BHPian

Ironman shocks are available for the Thar at R and T, Kottayam. The price quoted was 30k. However I am quite skeptical about another suspension upgrade after spending nearly the same amount on CFLs.
Old 8th November 2014, 19:06   #3199
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by amolpol View Post
Congratulations on the new jeep.

The rear door issue is actually due to CMVR regulations which don't care if rear occupants and/or luggage may fall off the vehicle while driving. M&M has been strictly adhering to what the CMVR has mandated and nothing more. Actually they didn't even provide a proper lever to open the rear door from the inside since CMVR expects people to jump outside a jeep vs ingress/egress like normal cars.

If the so-called problem persists, please use a nylon or cotton rope to secure the door to the soft top frame. And this advise is as mentioned on page 45 of the techical "jugaad" handbook for the Thar...LOL!

On the other issue, you are most likely a victim of the unsuspecting monkeys at the ASC who fiddle around with the 4x4 lever without reason. However, please observe the hub unlocking process diligently every time you engage the 4x4. You need to shift to 2wd and reverse the vehicle for about 10-20m and look out for the click sound that confirms that the hubs are unlocked. Mahindra has designed it to keep you at the edge always and its not 100% of the times that you will hear it. But if you feel any tightness of steering during full turns, please repeat the process. And if it happens randomly even without engaging into 4x4, then demand for a replacement for the hubs, you may need power if email and social media if they don't happily oblige to this.

Happy Thar'ing, life will never be the same again.
Ha ha thanks for your comments, I am planning to put a rally style bonnet clip on the rear door to stop it from opening if the MASS guys cannot fix it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgo View Post
DB sir would be so happy that Another convert has been born. Congratulations to you. Enjoy the vehicle.

Be careful of the injury inflicting nature of the Thar as you complained earlier. Anyways it is a known devil now.
Yes I am not sure if I should have bought the Thar, but there is no option now and I have to modify myself according to whims and fancies of this vehicle
Jokes apart, this is no way a finished product. I have to spend a lot of time on it to make it a somewhat safer and bearable vehicle. But I knew about all these before I jumped into it, so as you have said, it is indeed a known devil.
Old 9th November 2014, 03:54   #3200
Team-BHP Support

Had a longish drive in the Thar tonight and absolutely delighted with the turbo boost, it is addictive. I always knew that it was fast after driving quite a few Thars, but driving ones own vehicle gives a different high. Btw, realised that this was my first 100+ bhp vehicle in India!!
BlackPearl is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2014, 11:35   #3201
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
Had a longish drive in the Thar tonight and absolutely delighted with the turbo boost, it is addictive. I always knew that it was fast after driving quite a few Thars, but driving ones own vehicle gives a different high. Btw, realised that this was my first 100+ bhp vehicle in India!!
Black pearl kindly delight us with some more pictures please. Are you going to keep it stock with soft top or you have some mods in your mind ? How do you find the braking performance compared to your Bolero ?
Old 9th November 2014, 14:38   #3202
BHPian

Has anyone fitted a cone filter for the Thar.. K&N etc ? any idea whats the size of the intake pipe ?
Old 10th November 2014, 13:10   #3203
Senior - BHPian

I've just noticed that in the beginning of this thread the Thar was priced 6 lakhs in 2011. However now it's priced at 8 lakhs in 2014.

Has Mahindra improved the interiors of the Thar in 2014 and providing stuffs like AC as standard or is it still the same as in 2011 ?
Old 10th November 2014, 14:56   #3204
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanjohn123 View Post
I've just noticed that in the beginning of this thread the Thar was priced 6 lakhs in 2011. However now it's priced at 8 lakhs in 2014.

Has Mahindra improved the interiors of the Thar in 2014 and providing stuffs like AC as standard or is it still the same as in 2011 ?
The interiors in 2014 Thars are tad better and the CRDE model by default comes with air conditioner now.

Last edited by al pacino : 10th November 2014 at 15:02.
al pacino is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2014, 18:43   #3205
BHPian

In bright daylight, i noticed today that the instrument cluster has a seat-belt warning lamp!! But I have never seen it lit-up since I have taken delivery.
Has anyone seen this lit-up when you are not wearing the belt?
Old 12th November 2014, 18:53   #3206
BHPian

Quote:
In bright daylight, i noticed today that the instrument cluster has a seat-belt warning lamp!! But I have never seen it lit-up since I have taken delivery.
Has anyone seen this lit-up when you are not wearing the belt?

No, it doesn't light up, and interestingly, there's also a 4WD indicator, the cable runs next to the handbrake but its not connected to anything. All these features are activated for the export models only of course.

On another note, I really wonder if they can modify the Thar enough to keep selling the Thar post Oct 2017 when the new safety regulations kick in, or will it be replaced with something else all together?
Old 13th November 2014, 10:59   #3207
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
In bright daylight, I noticed today that the instrument cluster has a seat-belt warning lamp!! But I have never seen it lit-up since I have taken delivery. Has anyone seen this lit-up when you are not wearing the belt?
Dear KkVaidyaji - "sahebji saaheb"! The instrument cluster is "having a common part number" with "Bolero Double Cab 4WD LHD Europe". Then there is "Ramayana, Mahabharata, Upanishad" etc which will never disappear! . Chhodo naa bhai, jis raaste jaana nahin uske baare mein kyon sochke pareshan hona! Enjoy your vehicle yaar!

Dear Hilly Thar - hello after a long time. For the 4WD indicator also, the answer is same as above. .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th November 2014, 11:30   #3208
BHPian

Well, I can do without a seat-belt warning/indicator, I just pull those seat belts and click them in place. I can do without a 4WD indicator, I just look at that lever.
But, what I really would have appreciated is an indicator to show whether the Auto-Locking hubs are locked or unlocked. Currently, all you can do is strain your ears to pick up that barely audible "click" sound; even then you wouldn't be sure if they're locked/unlocked.
PreethamB is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2014, 16:44   #3209
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
Got my Diamond White Thar CRDe on 1st November...
Nice surprise and belated congratulations for entering into the JEEP world, albeit in a modern way! So what finally made you go for another Mahindra vehicle? Lack of options or anything else? Also are you keeping your Bolero 4wd as well?
Old 20th November 2014, 22:16   #3210
BHPian

A quick question, are the Gypsy's headlamps a direct fit on the Thar?
I am looking for clear lens headlamps for my Thar and the ones made by Autopal are pathetic.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks